El Paso 1960 Street Map

Gary

Dec 31, 2006, 5:02:22 PM12/31/06
I'm looking for a street map for the City of El Paso, Texas from roughly
1960. At least the area of town which was included in the big Chamizal
land swap of 1963 (hundreds of acres were swapped out between Mexico and
the USA) Any idea where I could find such a thing? Current map really
does no good.

why?

Dec 31, 2006, 5:13:53 PM12/31/06

Which current map, or rather who cares as you didn't include any
references so it can't be excluded from a search.

>does no good.

Yuo could try asking in a more regional / local newsgroup / local
newspaper, Perhaps Town/City hall planning or local historical society
groups.

That would be as opposed to asking in a public international non USA
specific newsgroup of what ever it's for.

1st hit www.google.com for something VERY obvious like -

City of El Paso, Texas city maps

Texas City Maps - Perry-Castañeda Map Collection - UT Library Online
Other Texas City Maps:; Texas County Highway Maps: More than 700 maps
... and 1973 (527K) (University of Texas Map Collection); El Paso and El
Paso County ...
www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/texas_cities.html - 58k - 30 Dec 2006 - Cached -
Similar pages

add 1960 to above search, oddly enough TADA - hit return land use info.

Jonathan R. Cunningham Collection
CITY OF EL PASO. ANNUAL REPORT. 34, Operations 1960, El Paso, Texas ...
113, Map: City of El Paso Land Use and Statistical Data: 1977. PLANNING
ASSISTANCE ...
http://libraryweb.utep.edu/special/findingaids/cunninghamjon.cfm - 61k -
Cached - Similar pages

Do you see a pattern here?

add another search term - Chamizal

Results 1 - 10 of about 274 English pages for City of El Paso, Texas
city maps 1960 Chamizal. (0.29 seconds)

Reword the search

City of El Paso, Texas city maps 1963 Chamizal land swap

Results 1 - 6 of about 12 English

Me

Jarhead

Dec 31, 2006, 5:32:11 PM12/31/06

"Gary" <dana...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message

If it were me, I would try here: http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/ Bet they
have just what you want.

--
Jarhead

Gary

Dec 31, 2006, 6:17:36 PM12/31/06
to Jarhead
Jarhead wrote:
> "Gary" <dana...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
> | I'm looking for a street map for the City of El Paso, Texas from
> roughly
> | 1960. At least the area of town which was included in the big Chamizal
> | land swap of 1963 (hundreds of acres were swapped out between Mexico
> and
> | the USA) Any idea where I could find such a thing? Current map really
> | does no good.
> |

> If it were me, I would try here: http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/ Bet they
> have just what you want.

Thanks for the thoughts from both of you guys, but it seems the problem
is that these sites have no period maps of the El Paso area prior to or
at the time of the Chamizal treaty enactment in 1963. A bunch of
populated territory transferred hands between Mexico and the USA and the
area affected was forever changed. I'm trying to find the street layout
for that area as it existed prior to the treaty. Thanks anyway. You'd
think the city web page would have something like this, but is now long
forgotten stuff, and still a little sticking sore point for some old timers.

Mara

Dec 31, 2006, 7:46:31 PM12/31/06

Does this help?

http://www.texasfreeway.com/ElPaso/historic/road_maps/images/1961_enco_elpaso_highres.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamizal

--
A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

Gary

Dec 31, 2006, 8:45:02 PM12/31/06
Hey, the first one comes real close to what I am looking for. Closer
than I've been anyway. Many thanks.

G. Morgan

Jan 1, 2007, 1:58:06 AM1/1/07
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:17:36 -0600, Gary <dana...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the thoughts from both of you guys, but it seems the problem
>is that these sites have no period maps of the El Paso area prior to or
>at the time of the Chamizal treaty enactment in 1963. A bunch of
>populated territory transferred hands between Mexico and the USA and the
>area affected was forever changed. I'm trying to find the street layout
>for that area as it existed prior to the treaty. Thanks anyway. You'd
>think the city web page would have something like this, but is now long
>forgotten stuff, and still a little sticking sore point for some old timers.

You can contact the National Archives, maybe they can scan it and send
it to you.

http://arcweb.archives.gov/arc/arch_results_detail.jsp?&pg=8&si=1&nh=71&st=b

ARC Identifier: 305975
Title: Local Aeronautical Charts, 1942 - 1997
Creator: Department of Commerce. National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration. National Ocean Service. (1983 - ) (Most
Recent)
Type of Archival Materials:
Maps and Charts
Level of Description:
Series from Record Group 370: Records of the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration, 1928 - 2005
Location: Cartographic and Architectural Records LICON,
Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-C), National Archives
at College Park, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001 PHONE:
301-837-3200, FAX: 301-837-3622, EMAIL: ca...@nara.gov
Inclusive Dates: 1942 - 1997
Part of: Record Group 370: Records of the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1928 - 2005
Arrangement: Arranged alphabetically by name of city,
thereunder by edition number and chart publication date.
Function and Use: Aeronautical sectional charts are
created by the National Ocean Service for use by pilots and
navigators, air traffic controllers, airports and airlines in
navigation and planning for slow to medium speed aircraft.
Specifically, these charts were designed for contact flying, under
Visual Flight Rules (VFR), wherein the pilot depends on visual
landmarks in determining locations and direction.
Scope & Content Note:
The charts, drawn at the 1:250,000 scale (one inch equals 3.43
nautical miles), provide large scale aeronautical mapping of highly
congested metropolitan areas.

The topographic and cultural base charts are overprinted with
aeronautical information. The topographic information features consist
of the relief and substantial provision of visual checkpints used for
flight under VFRs. The check points include populated places, drainage
patterns, roads, railroads, and other distinctive landmarks. The
elevation features of the earth's surface are shown by contours, spot
elevations, a system of gradient tints and shaded relief. The
aeronautical information overprint, which is superimposed on, and
adjusted to, the topographic data, includes visual and radio aids to
navigation, airports, controlled airspace, restricted or once
restricted areas, obstructions, and related data.

Access Restrictions:
Unrestricted
Use Restrictions: Unrestricted
Variant Control Number(s):
NAIL Control Number: NWDNC-370-AEROLOCAL
Local Identifier: NWDNC-370-AEROLOCAL

Copy 1
Copy Status: Preservation-Reproduction-Reference
Extent: 969 chart(s)
Count: 1.7 10-drawer Hamilton (TH)
Storage Facility: National Archives at College Park -
Archives II (College Park, MD)
Media
Media Type: Paper
--

-Graham

(delete the double e's to email)

why?

Jan 1, 2007, 5:25:21 AM1/1/07

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:45:02 -0600, Gary wrote:

A few lines, snipping the previous post and quoting without previous
context.

<snip>

This URL appeared in 3 of the Google searches, with different
arrangements of the words, but any time Chamizal was used. You couldn't
get that yourself?

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamizal
>>
>Hey, the first one comes real close to what I am looking for. Closer
>than I've been anyway. Many thanks.

Me

Jarhead

Jan 1, 2007, 10:42:48 AM1/1/07

"Gary" <dana...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message

I didn't expect for you to find it on the city site- only to give you
contact information so you could ask them for what you are looking for.

why?

Jan 1, 2007, 12:58:31 PM1/1/07

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 09:42:48 -0600, Jarhead wrote:

>"Gary" <dana...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
>| Jarhead wrote:
>| > "Gary" <dana...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
>| > roughly

<snip>

>| > If it were me, I would try here: http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/ Bet
>they
>| > have just what you want.
>| >

>| Thanks for the thoughts from both of you guys, but it seems the
>problem
>| is that these sites have no period maps of the El Paso area prior to
>or
>| at the time of the Chamizal treaty enactment in 1963. A bunch of
>| populated territory transferred hands between Mexico and the USA and

<snip>

>I didn't expect for you to find it on the city site- only to give you
>contact information so you could ask them for what you are looking for.

Same here, having posted the lib.utexas URL earlier. I would have
thought, hmmmm read the webpage find a phone number / email addy and
ask.

Maybe it's just to difficult, allowing for the hols :-) although email
still works.

Me