The Big Questions

Malcolm M

Oct 31, 2009, 7:32:29 AM10/31/09
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
The big geographical questions!

So what are the big questions we should be posing in the geography
classroom? As people talk about and construct a possible geography
curriculum for Australian students, it would be an interesting
discussion to consider what would be the “die in the trenches”
questions we would like students to be asked during their geographical
education? The questions need to be “big” enough to enable a
multiplicity of pathways for exploration by students and adequately
provocative to engender issue based discussion, lateral thinking and
creative enquiry. Quite a task! In this Google Group posting I invite
the 100 educators presently involved in the “21st Century Geography in
Australian schools” group to propose a big question and/or discuss
those proposed. In the eyes of the proposer, the question should be
considered to be a non-negotiable question to be explored in the
national geography curriculum – somewhere and somehow! Ideally the
final list compiled from the responses should cover all the branches
of geography (not just the environment). Have a look at the
Spatialworlds blog entry at http://spatialworlds.blogspot.com/2009/09/geography-more-than-meets-eye-this.html
titled (“Geography, more than meets the eye” to get a list of the
branches (albeit incomplete)

Can I start by proposing this question related to the geographical
branches of Geotourism and Environment.

Should Tourism be encouraged?

Footnote
This Google Group has no formal relationship with ACARA or AGTA and
has been developed purely to provide a forum for Australian
geographers to discuss and be kept up to date with development in
Australian geography.

J.Davis

Nov 1, 2009, 5:09:57 PM11/1/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
And if it is to be encouraged what type of tourism should we be advocating.

Pat Beeson

Nov 1, 2009, 5:18:36 PM11/1/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Undoubtedly- What should the population of Australia be?. What is
sustainable and how should it be achieved?

Kathleen Johnson

Nov 2, 2009, 4:48:54 AM11/2/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Globalisation - a necessary evil?

John Coop

Nov 2, 2009, 7:14:18 AM11/2/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Sustainability of farming in Australia

Lowry, Mark

Nov 2, 2009, 11:27:52 AM11/2/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Terrific Idea ; I hope you don't mind if we in Ontario Canada tag along
on this exercise as we are presently going through our major Geography
curriculum review and the concept of "big Ideas " and/or Enduring
understandings is foremost on the agenda. I will share and communicate
more as we become more immersed in the process. Cheers Mark

Mark Lowry
Instructional Leader for
Geography, Geotechnologies, & Civics
Grades 7-12 system wide
Toronto District School Board
(416) 394 7269
cell (416) 576 4515
Fax (416) 394 6420
1 Civic Centre Court
Toronto M9C 2B3
mark....@tdsb.on.ca
Website: http://tdsbweb/program/swsh

Trish Harris

Nov 2, 2009, 6:22:13 PM11/2/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Malcolm, great to see our community communicating.

We have recently configured the Geog course in Year 11 & 12 in the West. We have gone with content organisers and these provide a 'first audit' of what is geography- these then frame and structure the the types of geographic questions asked. Not new but to me important as they underpin any geographic problem/ question.

Organisers:
Place and change:
Location and spatial distribution
Spatial association
Spatial interaction
Human influence on sustainability:
Factors that impact on decisions about sustainability
Values and viewpoints in people’s use of places
Care of places
Geographical thinking, skills and processes:
Geographical thinking and questioning
Geographical inquiry skills
Forms of geographical communication

Course document under syllabus: http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/internet/Senior_Secondary/Courses/Geography
regards
Trish
Nov 2, 2009, 11:59:46 PM11/2/09
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
That is the question for students to explore. Is there such a thing as
sustainable tourism which does not cause environmental degradation or
challenge cultural integrity? Hope so, because I like ot travel
but...

On Nov 2, 8:09 am, "J.Davis" <jda...@vnc.qld.edu.au> wrote:
> And if it is to be encouraged what type of tourism should we be advocating.

Malcolm M

Nov 3, 2009, 12:01:50 AM11/3/09
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
I agree, that must be one of the big questions in the mix. Is it just
about numbers though? Are there other cultural agendas needing to be
explored by the geography student?

On Nov 3, 9:22 am, Trish Harris <thar...@ais.wa.edu.au> wrote:
> Thanks Malcolm, great to see our community communicating.
>
> We have recently configured the Geog course in Year 11 & 12 in the West. We have gone with content organisers and these provide a 'first audit' of what is geography- these then frame and structure the the types of geographic questions asked. Not new but to me important as they underpin any geographic problem/ question.
>
> Organisers:
> Place and change:
>                          Location and spatial distribution
>                          Spatial association
>                          Spatial interaction
> Human influence on sustainability:
>                          Factors that impact on decisions about sustainability
>                          Values and viewpoints in people’s use of places
>                          Care of places
> Geographical thinking, skills and processes:
>                          Geographical thinking and questioning
>                          Geographical inquiry skills
>                          Forms of geographical communication
>
> Course document under syllabus:  http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/internet/Senior_Secondary/Courses/Geo...
> regards
> Trish

J.Davis

Nov 3, 2009, 12:49:44 AM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Earlier this year I visited Cairns so I could experience the Great Barrier
Reef and the rianforest. On returning to school I spoke to my students about
the guilt I felt while visiting the reef. I was devastated to see the poor
condition of the reef, we hear so much about it but it was shocking to
actually see it. While there I was talking to an environmentalist who was
beratting tourists and visitors to the reef outlining the damage they cause
through; walking on the reef ( i was not guilty of this), boat and anchor
damage (maybe guilty given I was on a charter boat),pollution from boats
such as rubbish, waser water(maybe guilty given I was on a charter boat),
sunblock in the water (guilty i was snorkeling and swimming), disruption to
habitats by the mere presence of people (guilty). Which started me thinking
that in some ways I was contributing to the damage and asking did I really
needed to be there....I did not feel the same in the rainforest probably
because the damage is mitigated somewhat and not as visible as the dying
reef.

Nov 3, 2009, 2:06:04 AM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget the physical links too. How should drainage basins/coastal
areas be managed for a sustainable future?
Pat

Malcolm M

Nov 3, 2009, 5:10:31 AM11/3/09
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
Hi John
Is the question, should the Government/society determine
what is to be grown based on sustainability, not the free market
economy?
Mal
> >http://spatialworlds.blogspot.com/2009/09/geography-more-than-meets-e...
> > .html
> > titled ("Geography, more than meets the eye" to get a list of the
> > branches (albeit incomplete)
>
> > Can I start by proposing this question related to the geographical
> > branches of Geotourism and  Environment.
>
> > Should Tourism be encouraged?
>
> > Footnote
> > This Google Group has no formal relationship with ACARA or AGTA and
> > has been developed purely to provide a forum for Australian
> > geographers to discuss and be kept up to date with development in
> > Australian geography.
>
> > --

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/21st-century-geography-in-australian-s...
> > hl=en.
>
> > --

> > .

SASOSE Council (Adele Pring)

Nov 3, 2009, 5:35:41 AM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
I think questions date easily and are often value laden. Better for
students to come up with their own questions, with relevant hints at the
time, if needed.
Adele Pring

Malcolm M wrote:
> The big geographical questions!
>
> So what are the big questions we should be posing in the geography
> classroom? As people talk about and construct a possible geography
> curriculum for Australian students, it would be an interesting
> discussion to consider what would be the �die in the trenches�
> questions we would like students to be asked during their geographical
> education? The questions need to be �big� enough to enable a
> multiplicity of pathways for exploration by students and adequately
> provocative to engender issue based discussion, lateral thinking and
> creative enquiry. Quite a task! In this Google Group posting I invite
> the 100 educators presently involved in the �21st Century Geography in
> Australian schools� group to propose a big question and/or discuss
> those proposed. In the eyes of the proposer, the question should be
> considered to be a non-negotiable question to be explored in the
> national geography curriculum � somewhere and somehow! Ideally the
> final list compiled from the responses should cover all the branches
> of geography (not just the environment). Have a look at the
> Spatialworlds blog entry at http://spatialworlds.blogspot.com/2009/09/geography-more-than-meets-eye-this.html
> titled (�Geography, more than meets the eye� to get a list of the
> branches (albeit incomplete)
>
> Can I start by proposing this question related to the geographical
> branches of Geotourism and Environment.
>
> Should Tourism be encouraged?
>

> Footnote
> This Google Group has no formal relationship with ACARA or AGTA and
> has been developed purely to provide a forum for Australian
> geographers to discuss and be kept up to date with development in
> Australian geography.
>

> --

Regards,
Adele Pring
SASOSE Council
PO Box 54
Prospect Hill SA 5201
Tel: 08 8536 6133 (after hours only)
Mobile: 0429 366 133 (daytime hours only)
Email: sas...@activ8.net.au
www.groups.edna.edu.au/sasose
www.groups.edna.edu.au/songs

SASOSE Council (Adele Pring)

Nov 3, 2009, 7:21:10 AM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,
Maybe my big question is whether geography as a discipline alone can
adequately address questions such as Australian (or world) population
carrying capacity, growth, and what can be done about it because it has
to include perspectives of ethics, politics, religion, culture,
economics, history, philosophy, science, technology, media, sociology.

Who are 'we'? Who does 'our' as in 'our options' refer to? An old
Aboriginal friend, now deceased, when asked what he wanted for the
future, answered 'Can we have Australia back?'

Most of us come from a long line of invaders and 'we' haven't stopped.
'Invasion' is such an emotive word and 'settlers' seems so peaceful but
who does the pervasive dispossessing?

I hope we allow students to explore scenarios, ideas and concepts
without weighing them down with guilt or being too righteous. Who is
right? What is sustainable? Perhaps only insects. I hope that students
leave school realising that there are no simple solutions to complex
issues, to understand and hopefully apply basics of ethics, to have
first-hand awareness of more natural environments/ecosystems than school
and home, their interdependence with other humans, species and the land
and sea, live relatively simply, waste not. So maybe some big questions are:

* what is sustainable, what makes it sustainable?
* what is ethics, how can I be more ethical?
* what happens to my non-recycled waste, how can I live more simply
and waste less?
* am I healthy, how can I improve my health, how can I improve the
health of my environment?
* what do I know about my local ecosystem, how can I protect/improve it?
* what do I know about Indigenous Australians, how can we make the
future better for all?
* how can we work together to leave the world a better place when we
depart?

Adele Pring .

Sorensen, Lucie

Nov 3, 2009, 5:12:47 PM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Dear all (great initiative Mal)
Okay
Big geographical questions - some thoughts
I have deep reservations about issues based geography while I think its good to have the discussions surrounding globalisation, tourism etc etc. Geography is part of the puzzle in responding to these issues. To claim them as "ours" is part of the reason geography has lost its way. I think in schools the big geographical questions come from geographical knowledge understanding and skills that we want students to learn. (I like the WA organisers just as I like the conceptual organisers of place, space and systems,)
Some big geographical questions
What is a place?
Where is this place, people, goods, services? How does location impact on the distribution? What makes a place wild, extreme, urban, rural, mine, local, regional, national etc etc and how can we tell this from our observations of the world? How are local and distant places similar and different? What are the processes that form and shape them and the varying cultures that live in them? What is scale, distance etc etc? What is being done what could be done to live well in this place ?(depending on the scale of study )How does distribution , flows of capital, labour, information, goods reveal itself in patterns? What tools/skills can we use to discern these locations (absolute and relative) flows and distributions? These are big questions, they are geographical in focus not sociological as some of the other proposed big questions and they build in students the confidence to tackle issues? Globalisation tourism sustainability will throw themselves on the plate as a result of the discovery, exploration of the connections between people and their environments but it is not the place to start. Agree with Adele students through their exploration and observation of places and people and the connections between them should be able to come to these questions and their own conclusions. This for me is the beauty of geographical studies.
Regards
Lucie
Lucie Sorensen
Senior Project Officer (Geography)
Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA)
Level 5 | 440 Collins Street | PO Box 177 } Carlton South | Victoria 3053
Phone: (03) 8330 9427  Fax: (03) 8330 9401
Nov 3, 2009, 5:16:33 PM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
If we look at Climate Change Adaptation policies in Queensland one of the
initiatives is to change agricultural practices to be better suited to
projected climate changes which is what we should be doing without the
threats imposed by climate change - growing cotton for example, a water
thirsty crop in a country that is the driest on earth, is completely
implausible, but we do it! So I would argue that no we should not leave
market forces to decide but rather be growing sustainable crops that meet
the needs of our population. A recent Time magazine article highlights the
need for farming to return to a sustainable, subsistence practice to address
issues of food security across the globe not just in developing countries.

Nov 3, 2009, 6:13:19 PM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Should sustainability be the driving force behind agricultural decisions? Like it.

John Coop
Head of Geography

'Be first, be strong, believe'

________________________________

From: Malcolm M [mailto:malcolm....@gmail.com]

winmail.dat

John Coop

Nov 3, 2009, 6:15:30 PM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Like they say in The Matrix, we are a virus. We consume the host then move on. How about back to Geography though.

John Coop
Head of Geography

'Be first, be strong, believe'

________________________________

> discussion to consider what would be the "die in the trenches"
> questions we would like students to be asked during their geographical
> education? The questions need to be "big" enough to enable a
> multiplicity of pathways for exploration by students and adequately
> provocative to engender issue based discussion, lateral thinking and
> creative enquiry. Quite a task! In this Google Group posting I invite
> the 100 educators presently involved in the "21st Century Geography in
> Australian schools" group to propose a big question and/or discuss
> those proposed. In the eyes of the proposer, the question should be
> considered to be a non-negotiable question to be explored in the
> national geography curriculum - somewhere and somehow! Ideally the
> final list compiled from the responses should cover all the branches
> of geography (not just the environment). Have a look at the
> Spatialworlds blog entry at
> http://spatialworlds.blogspot.com/2009/09/geography-more-than-meets-eye-this.html
> titled ("Geography, more than meets the eye" to get a list of the

John Coop

Nov 3, 2009, 6:22:51 PM11/3/09
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com
Some from Physical Geog....

Are soils more important than drainage basins?
Is managed retreat the saviour of our coasts?
Will migration save Australia?
Are natural hazards unmanageable?

John Coop
Head of Geography

'Be first, be strong, believe'

________________________________

Malcolm M

Nov 3, 2009, 7:28:23 PM11/3/09
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
Agree Lucy (and Adele) but as geographers I think these are
discussions on the big questions we need to have before we develop the
"will be taught" aspects of a currciulum. Why are we teaching
geography? What is the role of geogrpahy in a student developing as
an active citizens? Maybe it is the discussion(not recession)
Australia has to have!

Here is another question (big is for the discussion to decide)

Does intercultural understanding require geographical knowledge?

Mal

On Nov 4, 8:12 am, "Sorensen, Lucie" <lucie.soren...@acara.edu.au>
wrote:
> [...]
> Senior Project Officer (Geography)
> Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA)
> Level 5 | 440 Collins Street | PO Box 177 } Carlton South | Victoria 3053
> Phone: (03) 8330 9427  Fax: (03) 8330 9401
> Email: lucie.soren...@acara.edu.au
> Spatialworlds blog entry athttp://spatialworlds.blogspot.com/2009/09/geography-more-than-meets-e...
> .html
> titled ("Geography, more than meets the eye" to get a list of the
> branches (albeit incomplete)
>
> Can I start by proposing this question related to the geographical
> branches of Geotourism and  Environment.
>
> Should Tourism be encouraged?
>
> Footnote
> This Google Group has no formal relationship with ACARA or AGTA and
> has been developed purely to provide a forum for Australian
> geographers to discuss and be kept up to date with development in

Rebecca Nicholas

Nov 4, 2009, 4:42:08 AM11/4/09
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
What is the role of geography in a student developing as an active
citizens?

I think that Geography is one of the best subjects to do this.... by
looking at most topics students are able to use their geographical
knowledge to look at the impacts an issue is having, and then make a
decision by looking at various strategies... This is the bit I love
teaching because students can go through this process and feel like
they really know what is going on. It is even better when they say "I
don't get why the local government doesn't change this' and we write a
letter to the local council and in some cases, something happens.

It doesn't always matter what the actual content you are studying is,
as long as in this case there is a local case study you can get the
kids thinking about....

I am not sure what other subjects allow kids that satisfaction of
'doing something' and understanding why they are doing it...

I could be biased though...

Bec

PS - Check out this link for the future in spatial technologies in
phones - GIS in action - i love it... imagine if kids could develop
maps like this for phones for various field trips etc. I think it
would be awesome -
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/hold-the-phone-reality-is-calling-20091103-hu9y.html

Malcolm M

Nov 30, 2009, 7:52:28 PM11/30/09
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
From John Butler: A response to the 'Big Questions' question.

Suggestions of Big Questions of Geography John Butler

November 2009

How did the land get to have so much variety in appearance? How have
natural forces shaped it? How have human actions shaped it?

What causes weather and climate? How do natural forces cause it? How
do human actions influence it?

What effects will climate change have and what responses are required?

How can water be used sustainably ?

What are the benefits of wilderness? How can wilderness areas be
managed?

How can humans produce goods and services without wasting resources?

How can enough food be produced for a growing population while
maintaining future sustainability?

What forms of energy will be used for transport, electricity, food
production in the future?

What are the causes and results of inequitable access to resources and
standards of living?

What effects will the increase of the world’s population to 10 billion
have on the land, sea, air, resources, politics, consumption?

What social, environmental and economic effects will an aging
population have on countries?

How do migrations change geographical patterns and what part does
geographical variation play in large-scale migrations?

What changes to lives are being made by globalisation? How do
international changes have national and local impacts?

Why do more than 50% of the world’s population live in cities? What
problems does this cause and what are possible solutions?

How can housing, shops, recreation facilities, school buildings,
transport and other necessary infrastructures be altered to improve
standards of living?

How can scarcity of resources, environmental damage, population
pressures, and national borders lead to conflict, terrorism and wars?

How do geographic differences in physical, social, environmental and
economic characteristics impact on employment, wealth, standard of
living, educational opportunities?