USB-MAC and 0xdroid Eclair 0x5 on BeagleBoard C4

Alexander Yerezeyev

Oct 19, 2010, 2:24:09 AM10/19/10
to 0xlab-discuss
Hello,
I am wondering how to add support of USB to Ethernet adapter (Linksys
USB300M) to 0xdroid Eclair 0x5 on BB C4? Does the pre-build kernel
supports Linksys USB300M? I am almost dummy and can not recompile
kernel by my hands so I want user-friendly solution or step-by-step
guide. In Angstrom and Ubuntu USB300M worked fine without additional
manipulations.

Thank you!

Jim Huang

Oct 19, 2010, 3:46:50 AM10/19/10
to 0xlab-...@googlegroups.com
2010/10/19 Alexander Yerezeyev <ere...@gmail.com>:

It depends on the definition of "user-friendly solution". However,
you might have
to rebuild kernel or kernel driver by your own, otherwise nothing
changes automatically
for you. We are sorry for that.

Once kernel supports USB-Ethernet, it is quite straightforward to get Android
ethernet working.

Regards,
Jim Huang (jserv)
http://0xlab.org/

Iiro

Oct 20, 2010, 5:10:55 AM10/20/10
to 0xlab-discuss

On Oct 19, 10:46 am, Jim Huang <js...@0xlab.org> wrote:

> Once kernel supports USB-Ethernet, it is quite straightforward to get Android
> ethernet working.

Could you please give more details on this? I have the correct drivers
compiled in, and they work OK I guess since I'm able to get some
limited network functionality by giving command 'netcfg eth0 dhcp'.
The board will answer to ping etc, but when trying anything more
complicated I get error 'init: no such service 'dhcpcdeth0''.

At kernel startup, I get the following error: "init: cannot find
'eth0', disabling 'dhcpcd'". Probably because the driver is not loaded
yet at that point. Any ideas how to fix this?

For the original poster, if you choose to try compiling kernel (it's
really not that difficult): Linksys 300M seems to be based on ASIX
chipset, try enabling 'device drivers -> network device support -> usb
network adapters -> multi-purpose usb networking framework -> ASIX
AX88xxx Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters' in kernel config.

Iiro

Alexander Yerezeyev

Oct 21, 2010, 12:43:26 AM10/21/10
to 0xlab-discuss

> For the original poster, if you choose to try compiling kernel (it's
> really not that difficult): Linksys 300M seems to be based on ASIX
> chipset, try enabling 'device drivers -> network device support -> usb
> network adapters -> multi-purpose usb networking framework -> ASIX
> AX88xxx Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters' in kernel config.

Thank you Liro! I'll try to to it.

Kay Richardson

Oct 23, 2010, 11:32:47 PM10/23/10
to 0xlab-discuss
is there a tutorial for this somewhere? i'm having the same exact
problem (C4 with eclair 0x5 trying to get ethernet usb to work). i
have almost no unix knowledge and have no idea where to type in all
this kernel info and how to rebuild a kernel. please advise

Alexander Yerezeyev

Oct 25, 2010, 12:59:19 AM10/25/10
to 0xlab-discuss
I agree, tutorial would be nice!

boyaci...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2012, 9:25:42 AM7/24/12
to 0xlab-...@googlegroups.com
is there any solution for that after 2 year? :)