Lockdowns bite as severe hunger hits 2 million families

Michael Ejercito

Dec 10, 2020, 10:07:05 PM12/10/20
http://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/341687

posted December 10, 2020 at 01:50 am
by
AFP and Allison Jackson
Daniel Auminto lost his job and then his home when the coronavirus
pandemic sent the Philippines into lockdown. Now he and his family live
on the street, relying on food handouts to survive.
Lockdowns bite as severe hunger hits 2 million families
QUEUE FOR FOOD. In this photo taken on November 24, Catholic priest
Father Flavie Villanueva (left) helps a young street dweller queueing up
for free packed meals distributed by religious order Society of the
Divine Word (SVD) in Manila. Charities are struggling to meet the
ever-growing demand for food as millions of families go hungry across
the country where COVID-19 restrictions have crippled the economy and
thrown many out of work. AFP
Charities are struggling to meet the ever-growing demand for food as
millions of families go hungry across the country.
COVID-19 restrictions have crippled the economy and thrown many out of work.
“I’ve never seen hunger at this level before,” said Jomar Fleras,
executive director of Rise Against Hunger in the Philippines, which
works with more than 40 partners to feed the poor.
“If you go out there everybody will tell you that they’re more afraid of
dying from hunger than dying from COVID. They don’t care about Covid
anymore.”
The number of people going hungry has reached a record high during the
pandemic, according to pollster Social Weather Stations.
Nearly one-third of families -- or 7.6 million households -- did not
have enough food to eat at least once in the previous three months, its
September survey showed.
Among them were 2.2 million families experiencing “severe hunger” -- the
highest ever.
The numbers have been going up since May, two months after the country
went into a severe lockdown -- reversing a downward trend since 2012.
Virus restrictions have been eased in recent months to allow more
businesses to operate as the government seeks to revive the devastated
economy, which is expected to shrink up to 9.5 percent this year.
For the country’s legions of poor, the pandemic is just another
challenge in their lives -- and not even the most serious.
Auminto, 41, spent years sleeping on the streets and eking out a meagre
living by selling trash for recycling. His fortunes changed in 2019 when
he found stable work as a building painter.
That gave him enough money to rent a room in Manila, which he shared
with his wife and their two-year-old daughter, buy food, and even save a
little towards their dream of opening a small store.
Then COVID-19 hit.
“We lost our home, my job. We even lost our clothes which were stolen
from us,” said Auminto as he sat in a park where the family sleeps on a
flattened cardboard box at night.
Before the pandemic “I planned to work and work our way out of poverty.
It’s for my family, so I can give them a better life, send my child to
school.”

Every day they join long queues of mostly homeless people to receive a
free meal from an outdoor food pantry.
On some days, the family gets two meals from different pantries; other
days it is just one. Sometimes they have no food at all.
‘Living like pigs’
Five days a week volunteers at a centre in Manila run by the Roman
Catholic order Society of the Divine Word prepare around a thousand
meals of chicken, vegetables and rice that are packed into boxes and
given to the hungry.
Demand is constantly increasing, said Father Flavie Villanueva, who runs
the programme.
“We started doing this in April and began with 250 (people lining up).
It increased to 400, and then 600, then 800. Three weeks ago, it was
1,000,” Villanueva said.
“The majority are still homeless but there’s a good number who are with
homes but are desperate because there are no jobs.”
Hunger was already a major problem in the Philippines before the
pandemic struck.
About 59 million people were “moderately or severely food insecure”
between 2017 and 2019 -- the highest in Southeast Asia -- the UN’s Food
and Agriculture Organization said in a report.
The impact of the virus on hunger has been exacerbated by a series of
typhoons that have pummeled the country in recent months, destroying
tens of thousands of homes.
Fleras said food donations have soared during the pandemic, in part
because many factories forced to suspend operations gave away their
surplus stock. But it is not enough to meet demand.
“We might reach 200,000 families this year,” he said.
Auminto said it was “painful” to have lost everything and be back on the
street where he says the police treat them “like animals”.
“They should understand our situation, not treat us like pigs,” he said.
“We’re already living like pigs.”

The Peeler

Dec 10, 2020, 10:56:36 PM12/10/20
Flips are treated like the pigs they are. Take this shit out of
newsgroups that decent White people read.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 10, 2020, 11:56:39 PM12/10/20
MichaelE wrote:

> http://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/341687
>
> posted December 10, 2020 at 01:50 am
> by
> AFP and Allison Jackson
> Daniel Auminto lost his job and then his home when the coronavirus
> pandemic sent the Philippines into lockdown. Now he and his family live
> on the street, relying on food handouts to survive.

The latter situation is terrible and underscores how lockdowns are not
the solution for stopping the coronavirus pandemic.

The only healthy way to stop the pandemic is by rapidly (
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) finding out at any given moment,
including even while on-line, who among us are unwittingly contagious
(i.e pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) in order to
http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12) for them to call their
doctor and self-quarantine per their doctor in hopes of stopping this
pandemic even in the worst-case scenario of the cluster-5 mink
mutations rendering pending vaccines ineffective.

Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
and author of the 2PD-OMER Approach:

Michael Ejercito

Dec 11, 2020, 12:30:39 AM12/11/20
No one should treat them like pigs!

Since we are on the subject of Filipinos, can you identify the people
in this picture who are of Filipino descent?

http://www.instagram.com/p/LPhfEoipsf/

Michael

Michael Ejercito

Dec 11, 2020, 12:32:07 AM12/11/20
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> MichaelE wrote:
>
>> http://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/341687
>>
>> posted December 10, 2020 at 01:50 am
>> by
>> AFP and Allison Jackson
>> Daniel Auminto lost his job and then his home when the coronavirus
>> pandemic sent the Philippines into lockdown. Now he and his family live
>> on the street, relying on food handouts to survive.
>
> The latter situation is terrible and underscores how lockdowns are not
> the solution for stopping the coronavirus pandemic.
You got that right!

> The only healthy way to stop the pandemic is by rapidly (
> http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) finding out at any given moment,
> including even while on-line, who among us are unwittingly contagious
> (i.e pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) in order to
> http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12) for them to call their
> doctor and self-quarantine per their doctor in hopes of stopping this
> pandemic even in the worst-case scenario of the cluster-5 mink
> mutations rendering pending vaccines ineffective.
>
> Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
> and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.
>
> So how are you ?
I am wonderfully hungry!

Michael

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 11, 2020, 12:47:59 AM12/11/20
MichaelE wrote:
> HeartDoc Andrew, in the Holy Spirit, boldly wrote:
>> MichaelE wrote:
>>
>>> http://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/341687
>>>
>>> posted December 10, 2020 at 01:50 am
>>> by
>>> AFP and Allison Jackson
>>> Daniel Auminto lost his job and then his home when the coronavirus
>>> pandemic sent the Philippines into lockdown. Now he and his family live
>>> on the street, relying on food handouts to survive.
>>
>> The latter situation is terrible and underscores how lockdowns are not
>> the solution for stopping the coronavirus pandemic.
>
> You got that right!

I am simply wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/Philippians4_12 ) while
bring reminded that it's commonly said that hindsight is 20/20.

>> The only healthy way to stop the pandemic is by rapidly (
>> http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) finding out at any given moment,
>> including even while on-line, who among us are unwittingly contagious
>> (i.e pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic) in order to
>> http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12) for them to call their
>> doctor and self-quarantine per their doctor in hopes of stopping this
>> pandemic even in the worst-case scenario of the cluster-5 mink
>> mutations rendering pending vaccines ineffective.
>>
>> Indeed, I am wonderfully hungry ( http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 )
>> and hope you, Michael, also have a healthy appetite too.
>>
>> So how are you ?
>
> I am wonderfully hungry!

8:3) us to hunger, I note that you, Michael, not only don't have
COVID-19 but are rapture (Luke 17:37) ready and pray (2 Chronicles
7:14) that our Everlasting (Isaiah 9:6) Father in Heaven continues to
give us "much more" (Luke 11:13) Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) so
that we'd have much more of His Help to always say/write that we're
"wonderfully hungry" in **all** ways including especially caring to
http://bit.ly/ConvinceItForward (John 15:12 as shown by
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) with all glory (
http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD (aka HaShem, Elohim, Abba, DEO), in
the name (John 16:23) of LORD Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Amen.

Laus DEO !

from around the heart

Michael Ejercito

Dec 11, 2020, 10:05:37 AM12/11/20
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
Thank you for noting that I do NOT have COVID-19!

Michael

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 11, 2020, 11:00:44 AM12/11/20
> Thank you for noting that I do NOT have COVID-19!

All glory ( http://bit.ly/Psalm117_ ) to GOD for His keeping us from
being infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Laus DEO :-)

Drumpf ( http://bit.ly/W_d_DJT_r ) or else we'll most certainly die a

http://bit.ly/BiblicalEsau

Michael Ejercito

Dec 15, 2020, 9:46:14 AM12/15/20
The Peeler wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 22:56:34 -0500, Loose Sphincter, the unhappily married
> nazi homo, IMPERSONATING his master, The Peeler, whined again:
>

>> Flips are treated like the pigs they are. Take this shit out of
>> newsgroups that decent White people read.
>
> Replace the word "Flips" with "nazis" and you finally made a statement that
> comes much more close to truth and the facts of like, sick gay nazi bastard!

You got that right!

Michael