Prime ...

TeilZeitMensch

Jan 7, 2016, 12:40:00 PM1/7/16
to MooTools Users
A few years ago, there was a rumor, that prime will be a kind of "mootools 2.0" - all the great features, an easy syntax and "no natives were harmed" ...
But if i take a look on github: no more contributions, lot of the good old "mootools developer core team" seems retired, or totally involved in everything else but mootools / prime.

Whats happened to the developer team of "the best javascript framework" ?

Quo vadis, mootools? Quo vadis, prime?

tswone

Jan 8, 2016, 9:31:23 AM1/8/16
to MooTools Users
same here, what happened, life?

-T

Sérgio Crisóstomo

Jan 8, 2016, 9:52:12 AM1/8/16
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
I suppose people get new jobs, new challenges. Some of those developers work at Spotify, others at Facebook where React was created.
About Prime I don't know much my self. Afaik its used in production.

MooTools Core 1.6 is ready, and next version will probably drop some older browser support, which means old stuff can be removed and some modern functionality can be added.

ES6 is out and it brings with it ideas that MooTools started which is good. So MooTools is less necessary which means also we can fine-tune it, make it even smaller.
Ideas, collaborators are welcome to engage and make things go faster :)
> --
>
> ---

TeilZeitMensch

Jan 18, 2016, 11:16:44 AM1/18/16
to MooTools Users
And is there a vision, where MooTools will go to? Some kind of Roadmap for the future?

Or is the most work so far, to preserve, that MooTools operate right "as it is"?

I love MooTools, but i dont know whether it is stil the right choice for a very modern project with a realtime communication based on node.js/socket.io and a long term future trending development...
JQuery is bullshit for complex javascript Application development - ExtJS has a fantastic Class System too, but the strength of ExtJS ist to develop User Interaces for functional applications.

I am looking for a class-based Javascript Framework which is not "manipulating" some existing DOM - no - DOM should be created out of the javascript, and it should be future-proof...

Five years ago, mootools was my first choice for _everything_ in javascript, but meantime - i have doubts. Doubts, but no alternatives. i know nothing, that is nearly so good as mootools. Only ExtJS - and this is very expensive...

thx

Sérgio Crisóstomo

Jan 18, 2016, 12:07:24 PM1/18/16
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there are plans for upgrading components of MooTools.
Because many people use it these changes have to be done in steps.

Now we are releasing 1.6.0 and that will be the last version supporting old IE browsers, which opens doors for some modernization.
We have discussed upgrading Request, using more of ES6 stuff, replace Fx with mooFx, refactoring delegation, drop compat layer, etc... some are agreed other under discussion.
We have put a lot off efford into making Specs better so we can change code and have something to test against. This part is now quite strong.
What is needed is people putting time into the new ideas. Sending PRs etc.

If you want to influence the future you are welcome. You are all welcome :)
You can reach the dev team here and in #irc.
The comunity need should be the motor driving forward.

Cheers