MooTools 2 ? The future of MooTools?

chemiX

Aug 3, 2016, 6:19:35 AM8/3/16
to MooTools Users
Hi all,

I realy like the MooTools JavaScript patterns. Since 0.8* and moo.fx I realy like crete components for my sites with mootools classes, helpers and great components. But now is 2016. ES6 knocking on the door. Babel.js, Webpack and npm are new strong guns for building great javascripts websites, but... I don't write SPA, I use JavaScript for better UX for my "classics" sites with ajax requests. I don't need react.js and the huge platform behind it, like redux etc...

I want write Javascipt simple as posible ;-)  and the mootools style I really like.

How you thinking about your codebase? Is there some ideas for next major version of MooTools? Like remove mootools classes and start using ES6 and create some helpers for better developer experience?

H.

Philip Thompson

Sep 5, 2016, 8:00:27 PM9/5/16
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
I guess since it took over a month for anyone to reply, you can see how the community is. MooTools is a great framework, but has not kept up with the latest JS. It should still work fine for what you want to do, but as you can see you'll probably get limited support. It's sad that MT didn't beat out jQuery because it was (is?) superior... IMO of course.

~Philip

--

---

Sérgio Crisóstomo

Sep 6, 2016, 4:07:29 AM9/6/16
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
So, another question as a follow up is what do developers need today?
If we find tools we need as a community then we can build them and
maintain them.

I need ajax and some DOM tools for projects I work with.
I am open to help if more are wiling to work on something using modern
JS and compiling releases down to ES5.

Some nice work has been done in the "Prime" stuff, that are not under MooTools.
Maybe we could import it to MooTools? or just work on something new.

/Sérgio

André Fiedler

Sep 13, 2016, 11:31:06 AM9/13/16
to mootool...@googlegroups.com
Don't get me wrong, I love Mootools since the beginning. But today we have soo much frameworks. If you ask me, we do not need another one. I can suggest you the following ones:

Ajax:
https://github.com/visionmedia/superagent

DOM selector engine:
https://github.com/jquery/sizzle/wiki