Suggestions for Winter Music

1 view

a l l y

Oct 17, 2006, 6:18:54 PM10/17/06
We're looking for some ideas for things we can play in a concert on January
5th. Officially it's still xmas season, but we feel people might be sick of
that sort of music by then, so can you think of anything else that might be
appropriate for the time of year? Winter/wassail/snow.... you know the sort
of thing. It's not strictly speaking a folk concert, but we do like to sneak
folky things in when we can and between us we play a lot of instruments and
can field a few singers. We have contemplated doing an arrangement of
Vivaldi's 'Winter' but we're afraid it might be too much for the audience.
(Oh, OK then, it might also be rather hard work for us...)

So... any wintery songs, tunes - whatever.... ???

ally
www.pipinghot.org

Jack Campin - bogus address

Oct 17, 2006, 6:54:02 PM10/17/06
> We're looking for some ideas for things we can play in a concert on January
> 5th. Officially it's still xmas season, but we feel people might be sick of
> that sort of music by then, so can you think of anything else that might be
> appropriate for the time of year? Winter/wassail/snow.... you know the sort
> of thing. It's not strictly speaking a folk concert, but we do like to sneak
> folky things in when we can and between us we play a lot of instruments and
> can field a few singers.

Try one of the Romanian or Hungarian carols to the Unconquerable Sun.
Stomping good stuff. I think Makvirag recorded one, I have others
in old field recordings from Communist-era Romania (these might be
on Robert Garfias's site).

If you have Romanian immigrants around they might even know these.

Thinks, I might have a go at playing "Gloomy Winter" on the C melody
sax now I've got it working...

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975

johnny adams

Oct 17, 2006, 7:21:26 PM10/17/06

First thoughts:

>From Chappell's Popular Music of the Olden Time - To Drive the Cold
Winter Away
See: http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/drive-cold-winter.html

The Gower Wassail
http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiWASSGOW;ttWASSGOW.html

Johnny Adams

a l l y

Oct 17, 2006, 8:07:29 PM10/17/06

"Jack Campin - bogus address" <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Try one of the Romanian or Hungarian carols to the Unconquerable Sun.
> Stomping good stuff. I think Makvirag recorded one, I have others
> in old field recordings from Communist-era Romania (these might be
> on Robert Garfias's site).

That sounds fun though I've no idea where I'd find the music. Where's Robert
Garfias's site?

> If you have Romanian immigrants around they might even know these.

Not in NW Cumbria! Apart from the occasional Chinese or Turkish person
working in the fast food industry, everyone around here is stolidly, and
boringly, Anglo-Saxon British. (God I miss Edinburgh sometimes...)

> Thinks, I might have a go at playing "Gloomy Winter" on the C melody
> sax now I've got it working...

Hey, you've got it working! Hurrah! Well done!

ally

a l l y

Oct 17, 2006, 8:12:13 PM10/17/06

"johnny adams" <john...@imailbox.com> wrote in message

> First thoughts:
>
>>From Chappell's Popular Music of the Olden Time - To Drive the Cold
> Winter Away
> See: http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/drive-cold-winter.html

That's nice. And a very useful website which I'd somehow managed not to have
found before. Thanks.

I'd forgotten that one.

... Keep 'em coming!

ally

Jack Campin - bogus address

Oct 17, 2006, 8:26:40 PM10/17/06
> We're looking for some ideas for things we can play in a concert on January
> 5th. Officially it's still xmas season, but we feel people might be sick of
> that sort of music by then, so can you think of anything else that might be
> appropriate for the time of year? Winter/wassail/snow.... you know the sort
> of thing. It's not strictly speaking a folk concert, but we do like to sneak
> folky things in when we can and between us we play a lot of instruments and
> can field a few singers.

The Union passed the English Parliament on 16 January 1707. Allowing for
the eleven days lost in the conversion between calendars that occurred in
1742, that means your gig is on its 300th anniversary.

So your obvious choices are Parcel of Rogues, The Curses, or (if you've
got my CD, I doubt you'll find it elsewhere) "Fareweill our ancient
kingdom", which is about as un-Christmassy as it possible to get.

Jack Campin - bogus address

Oct 17, 2006, 8:46:33 PM10/17/06
>> Try one of the Romanian or Hungarian carols to the Unconquerable Sun.
>> Stomping good stuff. I think Makvirag recorded one, I have others
>> in old field recordings from Communist-era Romania (these might be
>> on Robert Garfias's site).
> That sounds fun though I've no idea where I'd find the music. Where's
> Robert Garfias's site?

There's a link off my cobza page (though he's as googlewhackable as
me). He's very enthusiastic and helpful. If you get stuck I can make
a cassette copy of my 10" LP (which I really ought to send to Garfias
for his archive if he doesn't have it).

Makvirag CDs should be easy to find. They were much wilder and earthier
than Muszikas, a terrific live act.

>> Thinks, I might have a go at playing "Gloomy Winter" on the C melody
>> sax now I've got it working...
> Hey, you've got it working! Hurrah! Well done!

I am thinking of it as a kryptonite beam that will freeze the loudest
accordionist into submission. Except for the stone-deaf one, the cats
all zoom out of the catflap and sit in the garden quivering when I play
it in the house.

Jacey Bedford

Oct 17, 2006, 10:11:47 PM10/17/06
In message <4pl36gF...@individual.net>, a l l y
<al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk> writes

>We're looking for some ideas for things we can play in a concert on January
>5th. Officially it's still xmas season, but we feel people might be sick of
>that sort of music by then, so can you think of anything else that might be
>appropriate for the time of year? Winter/wassail/snow.... you know the sort
>of thing. It's not strictly speaking a folk concert, but we do like to sneak
>folky things in when we can and between us we play a lot of instruments and
>can field a few singers. We have contemplated doing an arrangement of
>Vivaldi's 'Winter' but we're afraid it might be too much for the audience.
>(Oh, OK then, it might also be rather hard work for us...)

January Man
Ring in the New Year (round)
Jolly Old Hawk
and any amount of Wassail songs

Jacey
--
Jacey Bedford
jacey at artisan hyphen harmony dot com

Paul Burke

Oct 18, 2006, 3:16:40 AM10/18/06
a l l y wrote:
> We're looking for some ideas for things we can play in a concert on January
> 5th. Officially it's still xmas season, but we feel people might be sick of
> that sort of music by then, so can you think of anything else that might be
> appropriate for the time of year?

Passing the Time (Cream)?

Molly Mockford

Oct 18, 2006, 3:41:31 AM10/18/06
At 16:21:26 on Tue, 17 Oct 2006, johnny adams <john...@imailbox.com>
wrote in <1161127286.1...@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>:

>>From Chappell's Popular Music of the Olden Time - To Drive the Cold
>Winter Away
>See: http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/drive-cold-winter.html
>
>The Gower Wassail
>http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiWASSGOW;ttWASSGOW.html

The King aka The Wren - it's a Twelfth Night carol, the only one I know.
There's an abbreviated version at
<http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiSEETHEKG;ttSEETHEKG.html>, but there
are more verses on the recorded versions which I have.

(On another point entirely - Johnny, *when* are you going to let me have
the text for that page for Doc's web site?)
--
Molly Mockford
deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

johnny adams

Oct 18, 2006, 3:58:37 AM10/18/06

Molly Mockford wrote:

> (On another point entirely - Johnny, *when* are you going to let me have
> the text for that page for Doc's web site?)
> --

Oops! Sorry Molly - it slipped right down the list! Will sort.

Ali, back on topic, here's the Wassail Song sung by the Long Company
Mummers at Ryburn every New Year.

http://www.ryburn3step.org.uk/wassailsong.htm

Tune on Pete Coe's album or I'll send you an mp3 or some dots if you're
interested.

Chris Ryall

Oct 18, 2006, 2:25:38 AM10/18/06
Jacey Bedford wrote on "Suggestions for Winter Music"

>January Man
>Ring in the New Year (round)
>Jolly Old Hawk
>and any amount of Wassail songs
>Jacey

Has anyone got the words for George Unthank's 'Tar Barrelling Time'
please
--
Chris Ryall Wirral UK <cjr...@my.domain>

Nick Wagg

Oct 18, 2006, 4:35:59 AM10/18/06
"a l l y" <al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk> wrote in message

> So... any wintery songs, tunes - whatever.... ???

The Cutty Wren is usually associated with St.Stephen's Day
(Boxing Day) but still fairly seasonal.

Also, 5th Jan is fairly close to Plough Monday and also to
Whittlesey Bear Day, so any songs associated with either of
those two days would be appropriate.

johnb

Oct 18, 2006, 4:40:43 AM10/18/06

a l l y wrote:

>From more contemporary sources:

Winter Song by Alan Hull of Lindisfarne
We'll Sing Alleluia by Richard Thompson

Nicholas Waller

Oct 18, 2006, 5:07:31 AM10/18/06

johnb wrote:
> a l l y wrote:
> > We're looking for some ideas for things we can play in a concert on January
> > 5th.

> Winter Song by Alan Hull of Lindisfarne

They also did one called January Song.

Hazy Shade of Winter, Simon & Garfunkel
California Dreamin', Mamas and Papas ("I've been for a walk on a
winter's day/ I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A.")
The Snows They Melt the Soonest

Anything by Snow Patrol?

--
Nick

a l l y

Oct 18, 2006, 5:20:30 AM10/18/06

>> We're looking for some ideas for things we can play in a concert on
>> January
>> 5th. Officially it's still xmas season, but we feel people might be sick
>> of
>> that sort of music by then, so can you think of anything else that might
>> be
>> appropriate for the time of year? Winter/wassail/snow.... you know the
>> sort
>> of thing. It's not strictly speaking a folk concert, but we do like to
>> sneak
>> folky things in when we can and between us we play a lot of instruments
>> and
>> can field a few singers.
>
> The Union passed the English Parliament on 16 January 1707. Allowing for
> the eleven days lost in the conversion between calendars that occurred in
> 1742, that means your gig is on its 300th anniversary.
>
> So your obvious choices are Parcel of Rogues, The Curses, or (if you've
> got my CD, I doubt you'll find it elsewhere) "Fareweill our ancient
> kingdom", which is about as un-Christmassy as it possible to get.

Heh heh. And why not? This part of northern Cumbria is almost Scotland
anyway, and I think if the locals had a chance to vote on it, they'd jump at
the chance of becoming part of Scotland and leaving England behind.

...off too look up your CD....

ally

a l l y

Oct 18, 2006, 5:26:13 AM10/18/06

> Ali, back on topic, here's the Wassail Song sung by the Long Company
> Mummers at Ryburn every New Year.
>
> http://www.ryburn3step.org.uk/wassailsong.htm
>
> Tune on Pete Coe's album or I'll send you an mp3 or some dots if you're
> interested.

Oh yes, that's a famous one - I've sung it before in a 'proper' choral
version with hundreds of other singers. Might be the sort of thing we want,
actually, as it's a gentle, village hall gig, where we don't want to baffle
people with some of the obscure, early music sort of stuff we usually do. I
do have the dots already.

Thanks.

ally

a l l y

Oct 18, 2006, 5:32:47 AM10/18/06

>>> Try one of the Romanian or Hungarian carols to the Unconquerable Sun.
>>> Stomping good stuff. I think Makvirag recorded one, I have others
>>> in old field recordings from Communist-era Romania (these might be
>>> on Robert Garfias's site).
>> That sounds fun though I've no idea where I'd find the music. Where's
>> Robert Garfias's site?
>
> There's a link off my cobza page (though he's as googlewhackable as
> me). He's very enthusiastic and helpful. If you get stuck I can make
> a cassette copy of my 10" LP (which I really ought to send to Garfias
> for his archive if he doesn't have it).
>
> Makvirag CDs should be easy to find. They were much wilder and earthier
> than Muszikas, a terrific live act.
>

>>> Thinks, I might have a go at playing "Gloomy Winter" on the C melody
>>> sax now I've got it working...
>> Hey, you've got it working! Hurrah! Well done!
>
> I am thinking of it as a kryptonite beam that will freeze the loudest
> accordionist into submission. Except for the stone-deaf one, the cats
> all zoom out of the catflap and sit in the garden quivering when I play
> it in the house.

My cats (found some at last!) are quite blasé about sax playing: it's one of
the border collies that cries her heart out every time a woodwind instrument
of any sort gets played. And as you can imagine, these things get played
rather a lot in our house.

ally

Java Jive

Oct 18, 2006, 5:52:16 AM10/18/06
Yes, there's a fine version of "Winter's Song" on Barbara Dickson's "From
The Beggar's Banquet Fringed With Gold" - I love it's moodiness -
definitely worth investigating.

Of course, the RT is a strong chorus number that usually goes down well ...

Perhaps I could add "The Seven Joys of Mary" if that would still be
considered in season ...

"johnb" <john...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in message

a l l y

Oct 18, 2006, 6:15:34 PM10/18/06

"johnb" <john...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in message

>>From more contemporary sources:
>
> Winter Song by Alan Hull of Lindisfarne
> We'll Sing Alleluia by Richard Thompson

Anyone got the dots for the Richard Thompson one? I've got several of his
albums, but not the one with that song on it, and although I've managed to
track down the lyrics and the chords I don't know how the tune goes. (It's
We Sing Hallelujah, by the way, I have discovered...) A quick abc would do
fine.

ally

johnb

Oct 19, 2006, 4:26:06 AM10/19/06

a l l y wrote:

Sadly I don't know abc but I can tell you it's on "I Want To See The
Bright Lights Tonight". Check on Amazon, they may have an option to
listen to a bit and as the tune for the verse is the same as the tune
for the chorus, you may get enough.

a l l y

Oct 19, 2006, 5:26:20 AM10/19/06

>> Anyone got the dots for the Richard Thompson one? I've got several of his
>> albums, but not the one with that song on it, and although I've managed
>> track down the lyrics and the chords I don't know how the tune goes.
>> (It's
>> We Sing Hallelujah, by the way, I have discovered...) A quick abc would
>> do
>> fine.
>>
>> ally
>
> Sadly I don't know abc but I can tell you it's on "I Want To See The
> Bright Lights Tonight". Check on Amazon, they may have an option to
> listen to a bit and as the tune for the verse is the same as the tune
> for the chorus, you may get enough.

Brilliant idea - thanks John! I had to search around a bit, but Amazon.com
had a verse and most of a chorus. Having heard it I do like it, so it's
definitely going in my list of Possibles...

ally