[Carib] Jamaicans in World War 1

Rory McGregor

Jun 5, 2010, 11:42:31 AM6/5/10
to cari...@rootsweb.com
I have found the following Jamaicans who died in World War One and for the most part served in regiments other than the BWIR.

Name: CLEMETSON, DAVID LOUIS
Initials: D L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Pembroke Yeomanry
Age: 24
Date of Death: 21/09/1918
Additional information: Son of David R. and Mary E. Clemetson, of Frontier, Port Maria, St. Mary, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 4.
Cemetery: UNICORN CEMETERY, VEND'HUILE

Name: CLEMETSON
Initials: A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: British West Indies Regiment
Unit Text: 3rd Bn.
Date of Death: 11/10/1917
Service No: 2894
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XX. J. 10A.
Cemetery: LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: MANLEY
Initials: D R
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Gunner
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "D" Bty. 174th Bde.
Date of Death: 26/07/1917
Service No: 41804
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. E. 41.
Cemetery: POPERINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: SILVERA
Initials: L G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: British West Indies Regiment
Unit Text: 6th Bn.
Date of Death: 26/04/1917
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: F. 10.
Cemetery: ST. POL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Name: ASTWOOD, EDWARD LEICESTER STUART
Initials: E L S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers
Unit Text: 26th Bn.
Age: 23
Date of Death: 20/09/1916
Additional information: Son of Edward William and Emily Agnes Astwood, of St. Andrew Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Officers, A. 10. 4.
Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

Name: BEMAND, HAROLD LESLIE
Initials: H L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Gunner
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "X" 8th T.M. Bty.
Age: 19
Date of Death: 07/06/1917
Service No: 107838
Additional information: Son of George and Mary E. Bemand, of St. Michael's Villa, 1, Bow St., Kingston, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Enclosure No.2 I. F. 15.
Cemetery: BEDFORD HOUSE CEMETERY

Name: BRADBURY, DENNIS JOHN FREELAND
Initials: D J F
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
Unit Text: Battalion Bombing Officer
Secondary Regiment: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Secondary Unit Text: attd. 10th
Age: 19
Date of Death: 15/11/1916
Additional information: Son of Patrick Joseph O'Leary Bradbury, M.A. (Director of Education) and Ellen Mary Bradbury, of Jamaica, British West Indies. Born at Antigua, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 26.
Cemetery: MAILLY WOOD CEMETERY, MAILLY-MAILLET

Name: BRANDON
Initials: B L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: King's Shropshire Light Infantry
Secondary Regiment: Cheshire Regiment
Secondary Unit Text: attd. 1st/7th Bn.
Age: 25
Date of Death: 04/09/1918
Additional information: Son of Jacob and Leah Brandon, of Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 3.
Cemetery: POND FARM CEMETERY

Name: BROWNE, FRANCIS ADOLPHUS HAMILTON
Initials: F A H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lance Bombardier
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery
Unit Text: 145th Heavy Bty.
Age: 19
Date of Death: 18/09/1918
Service No: 109511
Additional information: Son of Austin H. and Alice Browne, of Montego Bay, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. J. 8.
Cemetery: TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: BROWNE, GEORGE EDWIN
Initials: G E
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps
Unit Text: 8th Sqdn.
Age: 27
Date of Death: 21/01/1918
Additional information: Son of Edwin James and Marianne Browne, of 21, Tower St., Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. G. 25.
Cemetery: TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: CLARE, HORACE TOWNSHEND
Initials: H T
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Major
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "A" Bty. 245th Bde.
Age: 21
Date of Death: 29/04/1918
Awards: Mentioned in Despatches
Additional information: Chevalier of the Order of the Crown of Italy. Son of Henry Lewis Clare, M.D., and Lucy Clare, of "Mountlands," Norfolk Rd., Edgbaston, Birmingham. Born Kingston, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 22.
Cemetery: BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY No.3

Name: CONRAN, PERCY WOGAN DRYSDALE
Initials: P W D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Captain
Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Age: 32
Date of Death: 12/04/1918
Additional information: Son of William Adam Conran and Agnes Conran, of Mount Pleasant, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 13.
Cemetery: AVAL WOOD MILITARY CEMETERY, VIEUX-BERQUIN

Name: DALY, JOHN ALBERT EDWARD
Initials: J A E
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: 24th Sqdn.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 08/07/1918
Awards: D F C
Additional information: Adopted son of Mr. and Mrs. George Edward Daly, of Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 10.
Cemetery: FIENVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: DEAS, WILLIAM DARLING
Initials: W D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
Unit Text: 11th Bn.
Age: 27
Date of Death: 30/09/1915
Additional information: Son of William and Thirza D. Deas, of "Tabernacle," Brown's Town, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 10.
Cemetery: VALENCIENNES (ST. ROCH) COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Name: DIAS, STEPHEN SMEETHE
Initials: S S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Gunner
Regiment/Service: Tank Corps
Unit Text: 11th Bn.
Age: 30
Date of Death: 23/08/1918
Service No: 112182
Additional information: Son of David Mortimer Dias and Medora Jane Dias, of Trelawney, Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. N. 7.
Cemetery: CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Name: DURRANT, WILLIAM BLENCOWE WELLS
Initials: W B W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade
Unit Text: 6th Bn. attd. "C" Coy. 4th Bn.
Age: 21
Date of Death: 08/05/1915
Additional information: Son of the Hon. F. C. Wells Durrant and the late Gertrude Durrant, of Kingston, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 10.
Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Name: FARQUHARSON, NORMAN KENNETH
Initials: N K
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
Unit Text: "D" Coy. 2nd/5th Bn.
Age: 23
Date of Death: 29/08/1918
Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. M. H. M. Farquharson, of Cornwall, Jamaica, British West Indies; husband of Mrs. B. G. Clarke (formerly Farquharson), of Doiran, Lower Wick, Worcester. Enlisted as a Pte. in the Royal Engineers, served in Egypt 1914-1917. Gazetted 1917.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 8.
Cemetery: H.A.C. CEMETERY, ECOUST-ST. MEIN

Name: GELLATLY, ROBERT
Initials: R
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Scots
Unit Text: 13th Bn.
Age: 31
Date of Death: 23/04/1917
Additional information: Son of the late J. Stewart Gellatly (Solicitor of the Supreme Court); husband of Katharme J. Gellatly, of The Manse, Carron Hall, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 1 and 2.
Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name: GOSSET, WILLIAM BERESFORD
Initials: W B
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: 115th Bty.
Secondary Unit Text: Killed in action
Age: 20
Date of Death: 01/11/1914
Additional information: Son of the Hon. Beresford Smyly Gosset and Mary Jean Gosset, of Halberstadt, Bull Bay, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: E2. 12.
Cemetery: YPRES TOWN CEMETERY

Name: HILL, PERCIVAL SILK BUCKINGHAM
Initials: P S B
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Sapper
Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers
Unit Text: 33rd Light Railway Operating Coy.
Date of Death: 28/04/1918
Service No: WR/270659
Additional information: Son of John L. Hill, J.P., of St. Ann Bay, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. A. 53.
Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Name: JEFFREY-SMITH, LESLIE COCHRANE
Initials: L C
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Serjeant
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "B" Bty. 180th Bde.
Age: 23
Date of Death: 22/06/1917
Service No: 34898
Awards: Mentioned in Despatches
Additional information: Son of Charles A. Jeffrey-Smith (Superintendent of Public Works, Jamaica) and Floretta Jeffrey-Smith, of Jamaica, British West Indies. Left Jamaica June, 1915. Enlisted in R.F.A. July, 1915. Went to France Feb.,1916.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 13.
Cemetery: LOCRE HOSPICE CEMETERY

Name: KELLY-LAWSON, GEORGE McFARQUHAR
Initials: G M
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery
Unit Text: 5th Siege Bty.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 09/08/1917
Additional information: Son of Dermot Owen Kelly-Lawson and Charlotte M. Kelly-Lawson, of Hampden, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 5.
Cemetery: BARD COTTAGE CEMETERY
Name: KEMBLE, CYRIL STEWART
Initials: C S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment
Unit Text: 3rd Bn.
Secondary Regiment: Royal Berkshire Regiment
Secondary Unit Text: attd. 2nd/4th Bn.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 27/05/1918
Additional information: Son of Frederick and Ida Kemble, of 527, 8th St., Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A. Native of Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 6.
Cemetery: ST. VENANT-ROBECQ ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, ROBECQ

Name: KEMBLE, HENRY NOEL
Initials: H N
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Captain
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment
Unit Text: 2nd Bn.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 20/07/1916
Additional information: Son of Frederick and Ida Kemble, of 353, East 22nd St., Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A. Born in Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: K. 33.
Cemetery: CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: KERR, HENRY
Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: Royal Scots
Unit Text: "B" Coy. 4th Bn.
Age: 23
Date of Death: 28/06/1915
Service No: 2145
Additional information: Son of W. L. and Amy Kerr, of "Kenya," Halfway Tree, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 26 to 30.
Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

Name: KING, BERRY
Initials: B
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps
Unit Text: 25th Sqdn
Secondary Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Secondary Unit Text: and 6th Bn.
Age: 26
Date of Death: 03/05/1917
Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. A. O'Reilly King, of 85, Barry St., Kingston, Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. E. 6.
Cemetery: LAPUGNOY MILITARY CEMETERY
Name: LAIDMAN, KARL EVERARD
Initials: K E
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers
Unit Text: "B" Coy. 22nd Bn.
Age: 19
Date of Death: 31/03/1916
Service No: 1894
Additional information: Son of Herbert Edmund and Mary Jane Armstrong Laidman, of 65 Norman Rd., Kingston, Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 20.
Cemetery: LAPUGNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: LUCIE-SMITH, EUAN
Initials: E
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Age: 25
Date of Death: 25/04/1915
Additional information: Son of John Barkly Lucie-Smith (Post Master General of Jamaica), and Katie Lucie-Smith, of Kingston, Jamaica. Born at St. Andrew, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 2 and 3.
Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Name: LYON HALL, CLARENCE ESPEUT
Initials: C E
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers
Unit Text: 5th Bn.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 07/07/1916
Awards: M C
Additional information: Son of Clarence and Noemi Marian Lyon Hall, of Spring Garden, Buff Bay, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. R. 15.
Cemetery: BECOURT MILITARY CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT
Name: MACGREGOR, CORTLANDT RICHARD
Initials: C R
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers
Unit Text: 2nd Bn.
Age: 21
Date of Death: 05/05/1915
Additional information: Son of Cortlandt George and Margaret Josephine MacGregor, of Hanbury, Shooter's Hill, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 80 to 84 or 219 and 220.
Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

Name: MacGREGOR, KENNETH CORTLANDT
Initials: K C
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers
Unit Text: 2nd Bn.
Age: 19
Date of Death: 26/02/1915
Additional information: Son of Cortlandt George and Margaret Josephine MacGregor, of Glanwenny, Bridgend, Glam. Native of Shooters Hill, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 22.
Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Name: MACKENZIE-MUIR, RONALD CAERLEON LIVINGSTON
Initials: R C L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: London Regiment (London Scottish)
Unit Text: 1st/14th Bn.
Age: 19
Date of Death: 06/11/1918
Service No: 517612
Additional information: Son of Charles Mackenzie-Muir and Kathrine Adelaide his wife, of The Gardens, Gordon Town, Jamaica. Born at Kingston, Jamaica. Educated at Jamaica College.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 10. On West side.
Cemetery: ANGRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Name: MAIS, HERBERT ROXBURGH
Initials: H R
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers
Unit Text: 70th Field Coy.
Age: 27
Date of Death: 30/11/1917
Awards: Mentioned in Despatches
Additional information: Son of Charles and Mary Ellen Mais, of Jamaica, B.W. I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 13.
Cemetery: FINS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, SOREL-LE-GRAND

Name: McGRATH, NOEL GEORGE SCOTT
Initials: N G S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays)
Age: 29
Date of Death: 05/11/1914
Additional information: Eldest Son of the Hon. Geo. McGrath, of Charlemont, Ewarton, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 1.
Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY
Name: MELHADO, OWEN STIRLING
Initials: O S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Yorkshire Regiment
Unit Text: 5th Bn. attd. 11th Bn.
Age: 23
Date of Death: 07/12/1915
Awards: Mentioned in Despatches
Additional information: Commissioned on the Field. Son of Reginald and Irene Melhado, of Devon House, Half Way Tree, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 7.
Cemetery: MARSA JEWISH CEMETERY

Name: MILES, RICHARD DOUGLAS
Initials: R D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers
Unit Text: 9th Bn.
Age: 27
Date of Death: 17/08/1917
Awards: M C
Additional information: Son of Alfred Henry Miles, D.S.O., I.S.O. (late Collector-General of Jamaica), and Ada E. Miles. Served with the 31st Bn. Alberta Regt. and attained the rank of Serjt. Major before gaining a commission in R.I.F. Born Kingston, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. F. 18.
Cemetery: BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY No.3

Name: MILLS, JOHN MCFARLANE DENHOLM
Initials: J M D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: 111th Sqdn. (5th Wing)
Age: 22
Date of Death: 22/06/1919
Awards: A F C, Mentioned in Despatches
Additional information: Son of David and Margaret Mills, of Retirement, Montego Bay, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: EE. 39.
Cemetery: RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

Name: MITCHELL, HERBERT ARNOLD
Initials: H A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Artists' Rifles)
Unit Text: 28th Bn.
Age: 19
Date of Death: 15/04/1917
Service No: 765358
Additional information: Son of William Herbert and Edith Caroline Mitchell, of The Education Office, Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies. Came from St. Kitts, British West Indies to enlist. Alternative Commemoration - buried in Tottenham Park Cemetery.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Screen Wall.
Cemetery: EDMONTON CEMETERY, Middlesex

Name: MORIN, FRANK WHITEHORNE
Initials: F W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: Honourable Artillery Company
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Age: 29
Date of Death: 23/04/1917
Service No: 5089
Additional information: Son of the late John F. and Edith Whitehorne Morin, of Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 1.
Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name: MOSSMAN, ELLIS LEOPOLD
Initials: E L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lance Corporal
Regiment/Service: 1st King Edward's Horse
Age: 29
Date of Death: 09/04/1918
Service No: 1022
Additional information: Son of Hubert Leopold Mossman and Emily Mossman, of "Upton", Lodge, Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 2.
Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Name: MURRAY, AUBREY GEORGE
Initials: A G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Rifleman
Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps
Unit Text: 10th Bn.
Age: 23
Date of Death: 30/11/1917
Service No: R/13625
Additional information: Son of William Robinson Murray and Annie Eliza Murray, of 39, High Holborn St., Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9.
Memorial: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

Name: NICOLL, ERIC STANHOPE
Initials: E S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Captain
Regiment/Service: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)
Unit Text: 2nd/4th Bn.
Age: 25
Date of Death: 18/01/1918
Awards: M C
Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanhope Nicoll, of Knockpatrick, Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: O. 105.
Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY, Israel

Name: ORRETT, FRANK CLAUD
Initials: F C
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders
Unit Text: "A" Coy. 8th/10th Bn.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 13/11/1917
Service No: 235426
Additional information: Son of Charles and Rosa Orrett, of "Homestead," Windward Rd., Kingston, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 26.
Cemetery: DUISANS BRITISH CEMETERY, ETRUN

Name: RERRIE, ERROL SEYMOUR
Initials: E S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: East Yorkshire Regiment
Unit Text: 3rd Bn. attd. 7th Bn.
Age: 21
Date of Death: 12/05/1917
Awards: M C
Additional information: Son of Richard P. and C. May Rerrie, of Montego Bay, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 4 and 5.
Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL
Name: SANGUINETTI, LEONARD St. JOHN
Initials: L St J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)
Unit Text: 3rd Bn.
Age: 21
Date of Death: 02/07/1916
Service No: 4532
Additional information: Son of Haughton and Jessie Louise Sanguinetti, of Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. P. 3.
Cemetery: HEBUTERNE MILITARY CEMETERY
Name: SMYTH, WILLIAM DARLEY
Initials: W D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Gunner
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "D" Bty. 58th Bde.
Age: 22
Date of Death: 04/10/1917
Service No: L/14154
Additional information: Son of Mrs. A. L. Smyth, of Black River, Jamaica, British West Indies. Native of Old Harbour.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: X. B. 2.
Cemetery: NEW IRISH FARM CEMETERY

Name: STOCKHAUSEN, IVAN LANCELOT
Initials: I L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps
Unit Text: 17th Sqdn.
Secondary Regiment: British West Indies Regiment
Secondary Unit Text: and
Age: 27
Date of Death: 03/10/1917
Additional information: Son of John and Miriam Stockhausen, of Stewart Town, Trelawney, Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. B. 9.
Cemetery: STRUMA MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: STUART, CYRIL ADOLPHUS
Initials: C A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: King's Shropshire Light Infantry
Unit Text: 5th Bn.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 11/08/1915
Service No: 13043
Additional information: Son of Charles Pelham and Ada Stuart, of Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot 1. Row H. Grave 1A.
Cemetery: LE TREPORT MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: THOMAS
Initials: S A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Serjeant
Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps
Secondary Regiment: British West Indies Regiment
Secondary Unit Text: attd. 9th Bn.
Age: 22
Date of Death: 08/01/1918
Service No: 47
Additional information: Son of Joseph Albert and Florence Maud Thomas, of Mount Liberty School, Chapelton, Jamaica. Born at Richmond, Manchester, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. B. 3.
Cemetery: ARQUES-LA-BATAILLE BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: THOMAS
Initials: G M
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Flight Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Unit Text: H.M. Airship R.38.
Date of Death: 24/08/1921
Awards: D F C
Additional information: Son of Mr. T. Thomas, of Savanna-la-Man, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: "R.38." Memorial.
Cemetery: HULL WESTERN CEMETERY

Name: THOMAS, ARTHUR CRICHTON
Initials: A C
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Major
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery
Unit Text: 355th Bty.
Age: 27
Date of Death: 16/11/1917
Additional information: Son of Herbert T. and Gertrude Thomas, of 3, Geffrard Place, Kingston, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. K. 18.
Cemetery: TALANA FARM CEMETERY
Name: THOMPSON, THOMAS
Initials: T
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Pioneer
Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers
Unit Text: No. 2 Group, Depot. Coy.
Age: 30
Date of Death: 01/11/1918
Service No: 328749
Additional information: Son of A. and H. Thompson, of Chester Castle, Belvedere, Jamaica, B.W.I.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: General. C. 4363.
Cemetery: PLYMOUTH (EFFORD) CEMETERY
Name: VINE, STEPHEN JAMES
Initials: S J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment
Unit Text: 9th Bn.
Age: 24
Date of Death: 02/06/1918
Service No: SD/4246
Additional information: Son of James Alfred and Susannah Vine, of Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. E. 42.
Cemetery: PERNES BRITISH CEMETERY
Name: WATSON TAYLOR, ARTHUR SIMON
Initials: A S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: London Regiment
Unit Text: 22nd Bn.
Age: 33
Date of Death: 14/09/1917
Additional information: Son of Arthur Wellesley Watson Taylor and Mary Emmeline, his wife (nee Murthwaite), of Haughton Grove, Ramble, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 7.
Cemetery: MENIN ROAD SOUTH MILITARY CEMETERY

Name: WESTPHAL
Initials: R F A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers
Unit Text: 24th Bn.
Age: 19
Date of Death: 07/05/1916
Service No: 4121
Additional information: Son of Augustus and Georgine Westphal, of Fairfleld, Spur Tree, Jamaica.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 7.
Cemetery: TRANCHEE DE MECKNES CEMETERY, AIX-NOULETTE

Name: WESTPHAL, BENJAMIN AUGUSTUS
Initials: B A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment
Unit Text: 18th Bn.
Age: 24
Date of Death: 23/04/1917
Additional information: Son of Augustus and Georgine Westphal, of Fairfield, Spur Tree, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 7.
Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name: WORTLEY, MAURICE LESTER
Initials: M L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Second Lieutenant
Regiment/Service: Suffolk Regiment
Unit Text: 3rd Bn.
Age: 20
Date of Death: 03/10/1915
Additional information: Son of the Rev. Canon Ed. Jocelyn Wortley and Bertha E. Wortley, of Constant Spring, Jamaica, British West Indies.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 37 and 38.
Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Ernest M. Wiltshire

Jun 5, 2010, 3:05:17 PM6/5/10
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Thank you very much for that wonderful list Rory. I can add that the young
man below was born in England, the son of Frederick Chester Wells DURRANT, a
barrister & the Attorney General of Jamaica from 1921-1932, but who was
actually born in St. Vincent in 1864 & died in Kingston Jamaica in 1934; his
wife was Gertrude Blencowe (born 1862,in England)