printing tree from website

Ros Butt

Feb 23, 2006, 9:38:24 AM2/23/06
Can anybody help please?

I am trying to print a part of a family tree apertaining to my family which
is on a web site, so that I can then add the relevant entries to my Family
Tree Maker.

If I just send it to print, it just prints one page ( I would be happy for
it to print the whole thing for me to fit together as a jigsaw on the
floor), but if I select sections of it to print, it jumbles everything up.

It seems to be written in html and the site in question is:
http://www.graves.ukfamily.com/FamilyTree2.html
I would be grateful for any suggestions, otherwise I will have to sit and
copy the relevant sections out by hand before I can transfer it onto my
FTM.

Thanks
Ros (remove fairies to reply by email)

Peter

Feb 23, 2006, 1:07:52 PM2/23/06
Ros Butt wrote:
> It seems to be written in html and the site in question is:
> http://www.graves.ukfamily.com/FamilyTree2.html
> I would be grateful for any suggestions, otherwise I will have to sit and
> copy the relevant sections out by hand before I can transfer it onto my
> FTM.

It looks like it is written in plain text, which is inserted into the html
code.
Perhaps you could email the author, and ask if they would send you a gedcom
file. Otherwise, entering the data by hand into your FTM is probably the
quickest way to get there.

HTH

Peter

Hugh Watkins

Feb 23, 2006, 5:52:10 PM2/23/06

and the best because you can cross check the data for typos

Hugh W

T.M. Sommers

Feb 24, 2006, 12:29:23 AM2/24/06
Ros Butt wrote:
> Can anybody help please?
>
> I am trying to print a part of a family tree apertaining to my family which
> is on a web site, so that I can then add the relevant entries to my Family
> Tree Maker.
>
> If I just send it to print, it just prints one page ( I would be happy for
> it to print the whole thing for me to fit together as a jigsaw on the
> floor), but if I select sections of it to print, it jumbles everything up.

Text split into 5 vertical chunks emailed.

--
Thomas M. Sommers -- t...@nj.net -- AB2SB

Helen Castle

Feb 24, 2006, 6:51:44 AM2/24/06
The best thing would be to contact the person who put up the information and
ask them if the info is still current and if you can use it. This serves 2
purposes - you dont use someone else's research and information without them
knowing and you might get to meet one of your relatives.

If their email address is defunct you might do a google search on their name
and find them under a new email.

I get really annoyed at people who use the info in my file without telling
me. I have some errors in the LDS file that will get perpetuated because I
cant fix them and I have some deliberate indicators in other files so that I
know someone is using my info without telling me.

Helen Castle
Narangba Qld

"Ros Butt" <RF101fai...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

the_ver...@comcast.net

Feb 24, 2006, 8:01:35 AM2/24/06

Helen Castle wrote:
> The best thing would be to contact the person who put up the information and
> ask them if the info is still current and if you can use it. This serves 2
> purposes - you dont use someone else's research and information without them
> knowing and you might get to meet one of your relatives.
>
> If their email address is defunct you might do a google search on their name
> and find them under a new email.
>
> I get really annoyed at people who use the info in my file without telling
> me. I have some errors in the LDS file that will get perpetuated because I
> cant fix them and I have some deliberate indicators in other files so that I
> know someone is using my info without telling me.
>
> Helen Castle
> Narangba Qld

Depending, of course, on what "info" you mean. Names, dates, and such
can be freely used- actual facts belong to no one altho crediting via
sourcing is customary among the more ethical.

The Verminator

Helen Castle

Feb 24, 2006, 10:03:46 PM2/24/06
I am not talking about whether you can or not - but what is polite.

Someone did a lot of work - good idea to recognise it and appreciate it.

Helen
<the_ver...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Robert Heiling

Feb 24, 2006, 10:26:48 PM2/24/06
I'm with you, Helen. One of the main reasons for putting one's data up on the
web like that is to make connections. It's a two-way street and, given the
displayed interest, the OP fairly likely has information that could be shared
to some extent. Deliberately avoiding contact with the site owner while copying
the data is certainly not something to be admired.

Bob

Ros Butt

Feb 25, 2006, 6:28:29 AM2/25/06
Many thanks to those who have given help with printing part of the tree, I
shall now try all the possibilities suggested.

I have had several sggestions of breach of copyright; I would just like to
make it clear that I am in no way trying to 'filch' somebody elses tree or
indeed breach copyright.

Firstly; I was in contact with the tree owner a while back and passed on
some initial information regarding my part of the family that I have been
researching which belongs on the tree, and will be forwarding him fuller
information once I have collated it, and received a few more certificates
to verify my research.

Secondly; the reason I want to print part of the tree is that I find it
much easier to read a 'hard copy' than to keep flicking back and forth on
the screen and I just need to have the printed part laid out in front of me
in order to make sure I put 'my' part of the tree in the right place.

My plan then, was to use a 'spare' file on Family Tree Maker to enter the
relevant information of my own along with the ancestor part of the web
tree, to be able to juggle it about and print in various forms to make it
easier to read and make sense of who belongs where, whilst I continue
researching. I find it easier and quicker to type (from a hard copy) than
to copy by hand which I would have to do from the screen.

So please no more jumping in feet first!

Finally, this morning I received an email from another member of the family
who has been put in contact with me by - guess who - the owner of the web
site :>)

Regards