The Infinite Improbability Drive

Shubee

Sep 2, 2008, 12:07:42 AM9/2/08
I noticed that Douglas Adams had mocked my understanding of the
physics of superluminality in his book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy. Nonetheless, I'm delighted that Adams has accurately
represented the hostility of physicists for my very entertaining
approach to physics.

I quote:

"The Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method of
crossing vast interstellar distances in a mere nothingth of a second,
without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace."

"... The principle of generating small amounts of finite improbability
were of course well understood -- and such generators were often used
to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the
hostess's undergarments leap simultaneously one foot to the left, in
accordance with the Theory of Indeterminacy."

"Many respectable physicists said that they weren't going to stand for
this -- partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly
because they didn't get invited to those sort of parties." -- Douglas
Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979).

Shubee
http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

Sam Wormley

Sep 2, 2008, 12:34:02 AM9/2/08

That would be fine if you were a humorist or fiction writer...
But you are not.

Remember when you asked me to take you off my crank list?

Uncle Al

Sep 2, 2008, 6:14:19 PM9/2/08
Shubee wrote:

> I noticed that Douglas Adams had mocked my understanding of the
> physics of superluminality in his book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
> Galaxy.
[snip]

Idiot. The book came first. You never come.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Shubee

Sep 2, 2008, 7:33:12 PM9/2/08
On Sep 2, 5:14 pm, Uncle Al <Uncle...@hate.spam.net> wrote:
> Shubee wrote:
>
> > I noticed that Douglas Adams had mocked my understanding of the
> > physics of superluminality in his book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
> > Galaxy.
>
> [snip]
>
> The book came first.  You never come.

Causality and an absolute time order is irrelevant here. Douglas Adams
is obviously a prophet.

Shubee

Uncle Al

Sep 2, 2008, 7:53:17 PM9/2/08

Igor

Sep 3, 2008, 2:42:47 PM9/3/08
On Sep 2, 12:07 am, Shubee <e.Shu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that Douglas Adams had mocked my understanding of the
> physics of superluminality in his book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
> Galaxy. Nonetheless, I'm delighted that Adams has accurately
> represented the hostility of physicists for my very entertaining
> approach to physics.
>
> I quote:
>
> "The Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method of
> crossing vast interstellar distances in a mere nothingth of a second,
> without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace."
>
> "... The principle of generating small amounts of finite improbability
> were of course well understood -- and such generators were often used
> to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the
> hostess's undergarments leap simultaneously one foot to the left, in
> accordance with the Theory of Indeterminacy."
>
> "Many respectable physicists said that they weren't going to stand for
> this -- partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly
> because they didn't get invited to those sort of parties." -- Douglas
> Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979).
>
> Shubeehttp://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

Obviously, you must not get invited those sort of parties either, or
you wouldn't waste your time on usenet.

Shubee

Sep 5, 2008, 12:29:58 PM9/5/08

Sorry Igor, but you don't understand what Douglas Adams is saying.
Douglas Adams is obviously a prophet. He has pegged the attitudes of
mainstream physicists to the physics of superluminality exactly. These
physicists say that superluminality is "a debasement of science," the
major reason being is that they are all socially unacceptable misfits
and nerds.

Shubee