New Milwaukee sliding compound miter saw?

Max

Apr 4, 2009, 11:47:03 PM4/4/09
Does anyone here have one?
I'm wondering how good it is.

Max

Bored Borg

Apr 5, 2009, 1:37:58 PM4/5/09
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 04:47:03 +0100, Max wrote
(in article <VQVBl.15621$W06....@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>):

> Does anyone here have one?
> I'm wondering how good it is.
>
> Max

Before buying a Milwaukee _anything_, consider buying a AEG at half the price
and painting it red. That way you'll save Milwaukee doing it for you when
they've run out of AEG labels.

I just picked up a gorgeous AEG jigsaw at half list price which is itself
about half the Milwaukee equivalent price. Compared both in dealer's
showroom. Milwaukee had a torch nailed to it, AEG didn't. Service bloke
wandered over and pointed at the AEG. "Same thing"
Innards are the same - no "beefed-up" switches, wiring, windings, bearings or
home-grown all-American goodness. Same thing. Red or Blue.

No brainer.

Now it might be that someone on here has stripped both down and found that
the red BLURFL has a bronze roller-bearinged solid stainless cnc-machined
widget in it while the blue one has a blow-moulded polythene-and-snot bearing
block instead. II might hear a claim that after 3000 mile of tradesman abuse
the Red BLURFL corners better in the rain and doesn't vibrate and leave skid
marks on your unmentionables. I know such is often the case with
identical-looking casings on rebadged Chiwanese goods. IF I'm contradicted
by someone more knowledgeable then I will bow to greater experience and may
no longer stand by my assertions, but in the meantime, I'll take my dealer's
service bloke's recommendation.

Food for thought, anyways.

If it saves you money, buy me a pint next time we meet.

Max

Apr 5, 2009, 4:20:38 PM4/5/09

"Bored Borg" <bore...@gasboardsmorgasbord.org> wrote in message

I always appreciate input. It gives me more room to maneuver. I'll
certainly look at the AEG.

Max (a pint on me)

Max

Apr 5, 2009, 4:28:53 PM4/5/09

"Bored Borg" <bore...@gasboardsmorgasbord.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 04:47:03 +0100, Max wrote
> (in article <VQVBl.15621$W06....@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>):
>
>> Does anyone here have one?
>> I'm wondering how good it is.
>>
>> Max
>
> Before buying a Milwaukee _anything_, consider buying a AEG at half the
> price
> and painting it red. That way you'll save Milwaukee doing it for you when
> they've run out of AEG labels.

> If it saves you money, buy me a pint next time we meet.

I just Googled AEG sliding compound miter saws and didn't find any.
Maybe you could direct me to a source?

Max

len...@yahoo.com

Apr 5, 2009, 5:17:00 PM4/5/09
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:28:53 -0600, "Max" <thesam...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

While I can't speak to the AEG slide compound, I have tried the
Milwaukee and found it to be a very smooth operating tool. I
especially liked the ability to fine tune the angle to a tenth of a
degree (thought at first it might be a bit gimmicky but it really
works). As with any tool it would be nice to actually use it for a few
months/year to really see how it stands up. Have also heard many
recommend the Bosch. Have used Makita and Dewalt for the past few
years and would strongly consider the Milwaukee next time.

Lenny

Max

Apr 5, 2009, 5:44:15 PM4/5/09

<len...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thank you kindly. I'm hoping I can find one to do a visual at least. There
don't seem to be any around here. (El Paso)

Max

Nova

Apr 5, 2009, 5:52:19 PM4/5/09
Max wrote:

> "Bored Borg" <bore...@gasboardsmorgasbord.org> wrote in message
>>
>> Before buying a Milwaukee _anything_, consider buying a AEG at half
>> the price
>> and painting it red. That way you'll save Milwaukee doing it for you when
>> they've run out of AEG labels.
>

>> If it saves you money, buy me a pint next time we meet.
>

> I just Googled AEG sliding compound miter saws and didn't find any.
> Maybe you could direct me to a source?
>
> Max

I don't believe they're sold in the US. See:

http://www.aeg-pt.com/internet/AC_SERV.NSF/frmDistributorSearchGB!OpenForm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Max

Apr 5, 2009, 7:01:23 PM4/5/09

"Nova" <nov...@verizon.net> wrote
> Max wrote:

>> I just Googled AEG sliding compound miter saws and didn't find any.
>> Maybe you could direct me to a source?
>>
>> Max
>>

> I don't believe they're sold in the US. See:
>
> http://www.aeg-pt.com/internet/AC_SERV.NSF/frmDistributorSearchGB!OpenForm
>
> --
> Jack Novak
> Buffalo, NY - USA
> nov...@verizon.net

Looks like you're right.

Max (back to Milwaukee)

Bored Borg

Apr 5, 2009, 7:09:51 PM4/5/09
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:28:53 +0100, Max wrote
(in article <%p8Cl.16050$D32....@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com>):

> I just Googled AEG sliding compound miter saws and didn't find any.
> Maybe you could direct me to a source?
>
> Max

I could have given you a bum steer, after all my diatribe, being in England
and all. Only going on what my dealer told me about the total available AEG /
Milwaukee ranges here. There's certainly nothing wrong with Milwaukee apart
from the huge mark-up on identical AEG stock which I gather will soon be made
unavailable, except as the new, marked-up Milwaukee brand.

My experience of direct import (Incra, USA to England) is that it roughly
doubles the price anyway. getting stuff from Germany or U.K. to the U.S.A.
may be similar.

If this saw is newer than the AEG buy-out, it's probable that there was never
an AEG equivalent and as they seem to phasing out the AEG brand, it will NOT
be made available under that branding.

Sorry if I misled you but maybe you can still take advantage of the
end-of-line price difference on other items you may have been contemplating?

Max

Apr 5, 2009, 7:45:52 PM4/5/09

"Bored Borg" <bore...@gasboardsmorgasbord.org> wrote in message

Thanks again for your time.
While I don't like to waste money I'm willing to pay the going price for
what meets my needs/desires :-).
My age, financial situation, and selection of pastimes permits me some
discretion in the purchases of what to some might be considered "toys".
I don't:
Hunt, fish, play golf, gamble (other than certain investments) indulge in
alcohol excessively, smoke, or have expensive hobbies other than
woodworking, metal working, photography, RV travel, and music listening.
I do have a considerable investment in tools and I produce some worthy
projects (according to friends and family)
I enjoy life.

Max

notbob

Apr 6, 2009, 10:31:16 AM4/6/09
On 2009-04-05, Bored Borg <bore...@gasboardsmorgasbord.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 04:47:03 +0100, Max wrote
> (in article <VQVBl.15621$W06....@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>):
>
>> Does anyone here have one?
>> I'm wondering how good it is.
>>
>> Max
>
> Before buying a Milwaukee _anything_, consider buying a AEG at half the price
> and painting it red. That way you'll save Milwaukee doing it for you when
> they've run out of AEG labels.

Hmmm.... a strange reverse of my experiences.

My old company paid $325 ea for AEG cordless screwdrivers, the exact same
model Milwaukee sold for $86. I will confess, though, the late great hi-tech
industry had an astonishing penchant for buying insanely marked-up
merchandise from glossy catalog distributors fielding bobble-boobed sales
reps. Another example I recall was the pricing of $190 for the same
Samsonite briefcase Office Max sold for $60. As we all know, hoodwinking
adle-brained customers is the name of the game.

I will concede that AEG products are exactly the same as Milwaukee. My
question is, where do you find them, if not in bountiful babe peddled
polished publications. ;)

nb

notbob

Apr 6, 2009, 10:42:24 AM4/6/09
On 2009-04-05, Nova <nov...@verizon.net> wrote:

Very interesting. If I'm not mistaken, the AEG cordless screwdrivers our
company purchased were from Cooper Tools or one of their sister/sub depts.
This company once specialized in hi-tech hand/pwr tools and none of AEGs
bigger stuff have I ever run across in a Home Depot or Lowe's. In fact,
other than this one item, the cordless articulating screwdriver, which seems
to damn near invincable, I've never ever heard of AEG again.

nb

notbob

Apr 6, 2009, 11:06:40 AM4/6/09
On 2009-04-06, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> Very interesting. If I'm not mistaken, the AEG cordless screwdrivers our
> company purchased were from Cooper Tools or one of their sister/sub depts.
> This company once specialized in hi-tech hand/pwr tools and none of AEGs
> bigger stuff have I ever run across in a Home Depot or Lowe's. In fact,
> other than this one item, the cordless articulating screwdriver, which seems
> to damn near invincable, I've never ever heard of AEG again.

Here's an interesting forum:

http://www.routerforums.com/tool-reviews/6882-truth-about-milwaukee-aeg-tools.html

Charlie Self

Apr 6, 2009, 11:23:27 AM4/6/09
> http://www.routerforums.com/tool-reviews/6882-truth-about-milwaukee-a...

Yea, it's interesting all right. I've NEVER seen so many, "You don't
belong. Register" blurbs in my life. I was able to read three entries
and six blurbs. Since the guys making the entries didn't seem to know
squat about various tool companies and one holding company, I gave it
up.

I've got an older 10" Milwaukee (two years or so) SCMS. I've used just
about all those made up until that time. This one is comparable in
features and quality to the best of the lot. If there's a new one, I
haven't run across it yet. I do know the Festool and at least one
other are supposed to be much better. With prices for the Festool
upwards of $1,200, it damned well should be better than a tool that
cost on the order of 1/3 that much.

Bored Borg

Apr 6, 2009, 12:08:57 PM4/6/09
So much seems to hinge on which side of the pond you live on. I keep coming
across bits of kit available in the 'States at reasonable (cheap!!) prices
that are either totally unavailable in U.K. or are available at 100 to 200%
markup. It looks like the vice-versa is true and we have stuff over here that
you can't get over there.

As I've said before one of the big problems is retailers being utterly stupid
about international shipping and demanding everything goes super-express
expedited priority diplomatic pouch rather than researching and offering the
many cheaper options that would net them international orders and expand
their customer base. I have previously ranted about Rockler and Woodpecker
who are quite happy to sell me a four ounce item for ten bucks but then want
another hundred to mail it whereas it could have gone in a padded bag and
been mailed for a tenner.

My AEG/Trend/Fein/Festool stuff I got from a local dealer (who advertises on
ebay with several user names, Central England) I don't want to quote the name
here in case it causes problems with his Milwaukee dealership arrangement. I
know he exports back to central and eastern Europe (weird, huh?) so maybe
he'll do U.S.A. as well.

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:31:16 +0100, notbob wrote
(in article <slrngtk4hl...@bb.nothome.com>):

> On 2009-04-05, Bored Borg <bore...@gasboardsmorgasbord.org> wrote:

<snip>

SonomaProducts.com

Apr 6, 2009, 12:14:35 PM4/6/09
Max,

I am struggling with a 10" Hitach no slider while I save my duckets to
get a new slider. If you go by the written reviews in all the mags
then the Milwaukee is the winner right now. TThat's what I will get.
he Bosch can get better reviews but the big cut against it is that it
wears out and becomes sloppy real quick. This isn't somethig that
shows up in a lab review of a new unit out of the box.

I find reading the reviews on Amazon is a real help too.

When I first started looking you could get the 10" or 12" but it seems
Milwak now only makes the 12".

I'm not usre where you are located but there is a guy perpetually
advertising on the San Francisco Craigs list with this saw (new in the
box) for $475. He also lists Dewalts. I'm sure he must have a source
not a one-off because it has shown up for months and months and now
and then one or the other brand isn't listed. My only thought is to
make sure the guy doesn't want to meet in a back alley.

Yep, only has the Dewalt listed right now http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/1109143545.html

Max

Apr 6, 2009, 3:46:33 PM4/6/09
Thanks for your comments. The Milwaukee is at the top of my list. I'm
checking prices, Amazon, Tool Crib, Coastal, Tool-up etc.
But I'll be getting one soon. When I've given it a real try out I'll report
back.

Max

"SonomaProducts.com" <bwx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Swingman

Apr 6, 2009, 4:57:32 PM4/6/09

"Bored Borg" wrote in message

> So much seems to hinge on which side of the pond you live on. I keep
> coming
> across bits of kit available in the 'States at reasonable (cheap!!) prices
> that are either totally unavailable in U.K. or are available at 100 to
> 200%
> markup. It looks like the vice-versa is true and we have stuff over here
> that
> you can't get over there.

Last time I was in Sheffield and tool shopping with my SIL, I was surprised
to see that one of our relatively more respected brands here, Bosch, was
thought to be a POS by proper Yorkshire lads . They (the Bosch tools) were,
however, a different color/colour from what we get here, so we figured Bosch
had a lesser grade they pawned off on you POME's.

:)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Leon

Apr 6, 2009, 6:06:55 PM4/6/09

"Swingman" <k...@nospam.com> wrote in message

They may have been getting the Skil product with the Bosch badge. ;~(

Bored Borg

Apr 6, 2009, 7:58:58 PM4/6/09
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:57:32 +0100, Swingman wrote
(in article <FI-dnUQgB5Ah8UfU...@giganews.com>):

> Last time I was in Sheffield and tool shopping with my SIL, I was surprised
> to see that one of our relatively more respected brands here, Bosch, was
> thought to be a POS by proper Yorkshire lads . They (the Bosch tools) were,
> however, a different color/colour from what we get here, so we figured Bosch
> had a lesser grade they pawned off on you POME's.

Well I was born in Sheffield mis-sen. Any tool not actually made in Sheffield
is by definition, a bit gay and if it's foreign an' all then using it'll make
thee a rayt Nancy... Bosch being Swiss is t'same as it being German and we
all know what THEY get up to...

Sheffield has such a long history of tool making, nearly all gone to the wall
or amalgamated into intercorps now. Eclipse, Moore & Wright, Footprint,
Record, Osborn, Dormer, Tyzack... Sheffield lads get a bit patriotic and a
bit upset about the wholesale dismantling of the British manufacturing
economy by that mad woman who believed the future was all about selling each
other insurance policies and working in call centres with no concrete
resources to underpin the game and then creaming off everything to set your
own relatives up for posterity.... The net result, with no investment in
anything local was that foreign stuff coming in was just a constant reminder
of betrayal by the greedy corrupt warmongering whore of babylon and her team
of brown-nosed lickspittles.

Well, that's prettty much the mood in any ale-house in t'old town. A general
mistrust of southerners, imports, gayness and anything drunk in measures of
less than a 20oz pint (I'll have a half litre of creme de menthe, please
landlord.. with a little umbrella.. ...would that be in a _straight_
glass, _sir?_) It's not really xenophobia or homophobia, it's just clannish
posturing and a dislike of change. Don't tell 'em you're a vegetarian, like
to work in MDF or don't go to bed wearing a flat 'at.

However...

Bosch tools always had a pretty good (grudging) rep, as I remember - at least
it's European and not FEPOS - but I think having a GREEN Bosch (like my
favourite cordless drill) makes thee a bit on a DIYer and not a tradesman,
'cos tradesmen orlus have BLUE 'uns, (like antique Wolf,) and Bosch painting
their stuff blue made it more respectable. I've not been inside enough of 'em
to know if there's anything more "professional" going on in there and anyway,
everyone wants yellow tools now...

Bottom line, without direct or trusted indirect experience, It's hard to tell
what is engineering and what is marketing.

editor's note. The opinions expressed in this documentarry do not necessary
reflect the opinions of the author.

I 'ave to go now an' gi' t'wippet 'is euphonium lesson, eat Yorkshire puddin'
an' send t'missus dahn t'pit to get coil to put on t'fire back.

Message has been deleted

SonomaProducts.com

Apr 13, 2009, 12:31:02 PM4/13/09
I (living here in the USA) was a proud owner of several Triumph
motorcycles from the 50's 60's and early 70's. I love the way they
look, sound, run and handle. However, who ever heard of Witworth sized
wrenches and the Lucas electric was always immediatly cut away and
discarded like a cancerous growth and replaced with US or Japanese
electronics. I must say the same about the Amal carburators which had
to be replaced with some nice Japanese carbs which made them twice the
bike.

Our Triumph cars also suffered from the worst electrics. How often
would you be buzzing along at night in the TR3 and have the headlights
flicker, go out, the car stall for a few hunderd yards, then fire back
up again as if nothing happened.

On Apr 11, 5:12 pm, Stuart <Spam...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]

>    Bored Borg <boredb...@gasboardsmorgasbord.org> wrote:
>
> >  The net result, with no investment in anything local was that foreign
> > stuff coming in was just a constant reminder of betrayal by the greedy
> > corrupt warmongering whore of babylon and her team of brown-nosed
> > lickspittles.
>

> To be honest, I think the biggest problem was a british national disease
> whereby everyone seemed to believe that anything made in Britain was
> rubbish and if it came from "abroad" it was better (unless possibly made
> in Hong Kong)
>
> Now if they were thinking about BL rust-bucket cars (I had several) they
> were probably right but unfortunately everything got tarred with the same
> brush, and, of course, the imported rubbish was a lot cheaper. (still is)
>
> Remember how the masses went and bought Japanese motorbikes instead of
> BSA, Norton, Aerial, Triumph........
>
> Nowt to do with politicians it was the fickle british public who bought
> the stuff.
>
> Now, I think the current exchange rate is making some of the lemmings
> think twice but every year tens of thousands of them go charging off to
> places like Spain to eat oily fish and chips on the Costa somewhere or
> other, drink gallons of urine that comes out of cans marked "Lager" (Yeh I
> know they drink the same obnoxious brews here too) and get skin cancer by
> lying in the sun, when Britain is the most beautiful group of countries in
> the world. The best scenery, some of the finest beers and excellent food,
> (if you avoid certain "fast-food" joints which seem to have originated in
> the USA, motorway service stations and those belonging to the small cook)
> from proper fish and chips cooked in lard (hard to find I know) to a wide
> range of ethnic restaurants, non of which will give you "an upset tummy";
> the water's safe to drink too.
>
> Yet still they can't see that their best friend is out of work because
> they didn't buy something made in the factory where he worked and their
> own job is on the line because their best friend no longer has any money
> to buy what they are making (figuratively speaking)
>
> Every pound they spend abroad is a pound that won't apear in the pocket of
> a fellow Briton.
>
> Well, I'm pleased to be able to say that if you went into my garage, you
> would find Record, Marples, Stanley, Rabone Chesterman, More and wright,
> Footprint, Spear and Jackson, Dormer, Britool....much of it quite old,
> loved and cared for.
>
> I live in Kenilworth, close by Coventry, which itself was a major
> manufacturing centre, from sewing machines to bicycles, electronics to
> machine tools. Remember the likes of Alfred Herbert, A C Wickman, Coventry
> Gauge and Tool and many others; now there's b****r all. Even
> GPT/GEC/Marconi has all but gone now, though that was down to the load of
> tossers who took on the running of the place when Lord Weinstock departed.

Lew Hodgett

Apr 13, 2009, 12:47:59 PM4/13/09

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
>However, who ever heard of Witworth sized
wrenches and the Lucas electric was always immediatly cut away and
discarded like a cancerous growth and replaced with US or Japanese
electronics.

Lucas AKA: The Prince of Darkness.

Lew

Charlie Groh

Apr 13, 2009, 1:10:45 PM4/13/09
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:31:02 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
<bwx...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I (living here in the USA) was a proud owner of several Triumph
>motorcycles from the 50's 60's and early 70's. I love the way they
>look, sound, run and handle. However, who ever heard of Witworth sized
>wrenches and the Lucas electric was always immediatly cut away and
>discarded like a cancerous growth and replaced with US or Japanese
>electronics. I must say the same about the Amal carburators which had
>to be replaced with some nice Japanese carbs which made them twice the
>bike.
>
>Our Triumph cars also suffered from the worst electrics. How often
>would you be buzzing along at night in the TR3 and have the headlights
>flicker, go out, the car stall for a few hunderd yards, then fire back
>up again as if nothing happened.

...LOL, I owned a couple of "3's" in the sixties. I was pretty young
and none of that mattered...the crank saved the day many a time, and
the fact I could lean out the door and put a cigarette out on the road
was just the coolest thing ever...

cg

SonomaProducts.com

Apr 13, 2009, 1:20:19 PM4/13/09
I have some TR3 stories. The sadest was watching my (very drunk)
buddy, doing donuts and such on a school field and playground area and
he tried to shoot between the two poles holding up the basketball
hoop. Trouble being there was only one pole and a little double vision
involved. At least that was his claim. That car was never more.

> >> tossers who took on the running of the place when Lord Weinstock departed.- Hide quoted text -

Mike

Apr 14, 2009, 7:12:58 AM4/14/09
<bwx...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I (living here in the USA) was a proud owner of several Triumph
>motorcycles from the 50's 60's and early 70's. I love the way they
>look, sound, run and handle. However, who ever heard of Witworth sized
>wrenches and the Lucas electric was always immediatly cut away and
>discarded like a cancerous growth and replaced with US or Japanese
>electronics. I must say the same about the Amal carburators which had
>to be replaced with some nice Japanese carbs which made them twice the
>bike.
>
>Our Triumph cars also suffered from the worst electrics. How often
>would you be buzzing along at night in the TR3 and have the headlights
>flicker, go out, the car stall for a few hunderd yards, then fire back
>up again as if nothing happened.

Funny that it always seems to be those in the colonies that have a
problem with Lucas. Many of us here in the UK have now done hundreds
of thousands of miles in vehicles with Lucas electrics throughout.
Sure we had the occasional blip, the odd distributor that closed up
the points a drowned distributor cap, a misfire in hot weather. But
it wasn't anything to really worry about. In those days anyone with
half a clue rarely got stranded as they soon learnt the skills needed
- even some housewives knew how to clout an SU electric fuel pump to
get it working again! Worst time for me was an electrical fire due
to some bodged up electrics by the previous owner. It effectively took
out *everything* I rewired the entire car at the side of the road
when I got stranded in a remote town. Took about 3 hours.

My summer car - full of Lucas electrics has now done 6000 miles a
year, every year since 1982 and other than points and brush changes,
a regulator change a decade ago and the odd lamp, the electrics are
those fitted at manufacture in 1972. and <touch wood> everything
still works perfectly after recently reviving it from its winter
layup.

SonomaProducts.com

Apr 14, 2009, 2:26:30 PM4/14/09
Hmmm "winter layup?" I wonder, does it have any trouble running in th
rain? Couldn't be any problem with the electrical system could it?

;^)

P.S. Its been quite a while since we've been a colony.

PDQ

Apr 14, 2009, 2:08:34 PM4/14/09

In news:7be7d93d-0fb9-48ce...@d38g2000prn.googlegroups.com,
SonomaProducts.com <bwx...@yahoo.com> dropped this bit of wisdom:

Back in the day (1967) I had a really nice Austin Healey 3000.

Wonderful auto with marvelous Lucas lamps and a superb ignition that worked best dry.

The lamps worke even better one I swapped them for a set of Bosch and the ignition became a never-fail setup once I introduced my Healey to a colonial aftermarket upgrade.

Not to think I didn't love my car for I would still have it if it hadn't developed a severe case of frame-rot.

P D Q

Mike

Apr 14, 2009, 5:10:31 PM4/14/09
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:26:30 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
<bwx...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hmmm "winter layup?" I wonder, does it have any trouble running in th
>rain? Couldn't be any problem with the electrical system could it?

No, I just prefer running a more modern car in the winter, even though
we usually get next to no snow the salt spread on the road makes a
mess underneath and I just want my summer car to stay near perfect.

>;^)

:-)

>P.S. Its been quite a while since we've been a colony.

Some of us have long memories.