It should be noted that April

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2009, 10:11:32 AM5/4/09
was the best month for the stock market since 2000.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2009, 10:13:40 AM5/4/09
On May 4, 9:11 am, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"

<Iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> was the best month for the stock market since 2000.

Ooops - make that since Dec of 91 - my bad

xyzzy

May 4, 2009, 10:31:43 AM5/4/09
On May 4, 10:13 am, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"

I have noted that the right-wing "stock market is an indicator of
Obama's economic performance" choir has been mighty quiet recently.
And a left-wing one hasn't really started up, probably because we
already knew the stock market is not the economy.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2009, 10:46:39 AM5/4/09

A - yes and C - yes - but B? You're saying that if I typed in Bush
and stock market, there'd be no poasts about it?

dam

May 4, 2009, 10:48:21 AM5/4/09
On May 4, 10:11 am, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"

<Iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> was the best month for the stock market since 2000.

There ain't much a trillion dollars or two can't fix.

dam

-----
Man has always required an explanation for all of those things in the
world he did not understand. If an explanation was not available, he
created one. - Jim Crawford

xyzzy

May 4, 2009, 10:55:45 AM5/4/09
On May 4, 10:46 am, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"

Of course there would be, especially with a search like bush and stock
market, but try bush and economy. There would be some stock market
stuff, but I bet there would be a lot more criticizing him for other
more substantive economic issues, like a rfscked up banking system, no
enforcement of regulations, outsourcing, no-bid contracts etc.

I'm not saying the market is totally invalid as an indicator. For
example, when the first bailout failed and the market plunged 770+
points, that was a strong signal, as was the rally when Obama
announced Geithner as sercretary of treasury. But in general, it's
just one of many economic indicators. Especially the Dow which is
only 30 stocks. But I think we are in agreement on this.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

May 4, 2009, 10:59:06 AM5/4/09
> only 30 stocks.  But I think we are in agreement on this.- Hide quoted text -

Actually I'm just thinking most of the left market posters simply
hadn't realized it yet....

xyzzy

May 4, 2009, 1:25:32 PM5/4/09
On May 4, 10:59 am, "The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior"

Well there is that. so let's wait a few days and see what pops out of
the loonosphere.

Steve Cutchen

May 4, 2009, 1:36:22 PM5/4/09
In article
<8d0ec4fe-0ab4-4cfd...@q14g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior <Iamtj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> was the best month for the stock market since 2000.

Woot. I'm up 25% for the year.

xyzzy

May 4, 2009, 2:11:09 PM5/4/09
On May 4, 1:36 pm, Steve Cutchen <max...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> In article
> <8d0ec4fe-0ab4-4cfd-acb7-e2b3c6c4a...@q14g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,

> The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior <Iamtj4l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > was the best month for the stock market since 2000.
>
> Woot. I'm up 25% for the year.

Early retirement is just around the corner!

Steve Cutchen

May 4, 2009, 6:47:26 PM5/4/09
In article
<2ad7c9f1-a97f-4a5e...@r36g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually, my company is offering an early severence. But with two
kiddos at UTexas and my investments all in 401K/IRAs, I have to wait.
I can't retire easily until I'm 60.

Today was another good day. Up another 5.7%.

Up 30% for the year.

Chris Bellomy

May 4, 2009, 7:00:00 PM5/4/09
Steve Cutchen wrote, On 5/4/09 5:47 PM:

And another wave of ARM resets loom on the horizon...

If I were you, I'd get busy selling.

cb

Edward M. Kennedy

May 4, 2009, 7:16:02 PM5/4/09
"Steve Cutchen" <max...@earthlink.net> wrote

>> > Woot. I'm up 25% for the year.
>>
>> Early retirement is just around the corner!
>
> Actually, my company is offering an early severence. But with two
> kiddos at UTexas and my investments all in 401K/IRAs, I have to wait.
> I can't retire easily until I'm 60.

Unless, dummy, you line up another job before taking the early
severance. At Duke that can mean becoming a consultant for
Duke.

--Tedward

Steve Cutchen

May 4, 2009, 10:12:58 PM5/4/09
In article <RPmdnaJHxpvt7mLU...@supernews.com>, Chris
Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:

I only have a little of financials. A small amount of Wells Fargo and a
small amount of BofA, both bought near their bottom. So even if they
go belly up again, which Obama and Geithner won't let happen, I still
break even.

Most of my stocks are in companies that did not drop earnings
significantly during the crash. Their prices crashed along with the
market, which was when I bought most of them. But really, they just
ended up with stoopid P/Es. I converted from cash, a bond fund and
several mutual funds, looking for investments that would rebound
better. (And I sold low when I did that, so even gaining 30% ytd, I'm
still only about 75% of my all time high.)

Now with earnings reports are coming out, these stocks are showing
their stability. That was my idea; stocks with 10 yrs or so of
consistent growth and that never lost earnings, but were stoopid cheap
because of the crash. I figured they would rebound much quicker, and
with earnings growth still taking place, much higher. Mutual funds are
going to recover on pace with the market for the most part. And the
Dow is still negative for the year. The S&P 500 just went positive
today. My wife's IRA is in mutual funds and professionally managed.
She's up 4 percent for the year.

Steve Cutchen

May 4, 2009, 10:15:02 PM5/4/09
In article <gtnsvi$59f$1...@gargoyle.oit.duke.edu>, Edward M. Kennedy
<e...@eio.com> wrote:

I did consider that. I have colleagues that did just that.

VA Beach Hokie

May 4, 2009, 10:17:50 PM5/4/09
On May 4, 7:00 pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
> Steve Cutchen wrote, On 5/4/09 5:47 PM:
>

> > In article
> > <2ad7c9f1-a97f-4a5e-adcb-45142d2d2...@r36g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,

> > xyzzy <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Early retirement is just around the corner!
>
> > Actually, my company is offering an early severence. But with two
> > kiddos at UTexas and my investments all in 401K/IRAs, I have to wait.
> > I can't retire easily until I'm 60.
>
> > Today was another good day. Up another 5.7%.
>
> > Up 30% for the year.
>
> And another wave of ARM resets loom on the horizon...
>
> If I were you, I'd get busy selling.

Won't be near as impactful as the last one.

The refi numbers over the last 3 months have been mind blowing.

Chris Bellomy

May 4, 2009, 10:54:17 PM5/4/09
VA Beach Hokie wrote, On 5/4/09 9:17 PM:

I'm curious what you think of this:

http://www.eschatonblog.com/2009/05/recast.html

cb

VA Beach Hokie

May 4, 2009, 11:35:31 PM5/4/09

Those numbers have changed dramatically since 8/08.

Two things to keep in mind: Everyone who doesn't live under a rock is
aware of what their ARM is doing or is going to do. Lenders are doing
things now they never would have done in the past to help those who
want/need to get out of a potentially dangerous mortgage (not all ARMs
are evil). I can only speak for what I can see since I'm not a
financial junkie. My company is on 75+% of the HUD-1's written in VA
and MD. Our file volume is nearly double what we would normally see
for Feb-Apr. We're actually hiring temp to perms and I'm putting in
an additional 1-2 hours every night over the VPN just to keep up.
Considering the number of our customers who went out of business in
2008, that's saying something. Nearly all of that business is refi.

Second, the standard for refi resets is the LIBOR which is quite low
now and looks to stay low for a while. Some are actually going to see
their rate and/or payment go down depending on what LIBOR+ rate they
signed for.

Is there pain yet to come? Yes. Will it be as bad as the gloomy
gus's predict? I don't believe so.

Chris Bellomy

May 4, 2009, 11:39:11 PM5/4/09
VA Beach Hokie wrote, On 5/4/09 10:35 PM:

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I'll temper my pessimism
appropriately. :)

cb

Steve Cutchen

May 5, 2009, 12:11:25 AM5/5/09
In article
<8adc6521-01b2-40a2...@v17g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>, VA
Beach Hokie <wjl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Adding to your business is prolly folks like me. We refi'd our 6-7/8
conventional mortgage to 4-3/4 conventional just to get the lower rate.