call for club cricket

dp

Oct 2, 2006, 10:07:13 PM10/2/06
http://silkboard.wordpress.com/2006/09/30/best-of-india-vs-best-of-pakistan/

"I have a dream. I get back from work at 6 pm (someday, that will be
possible in Bangalore!), get fresh, turn on my TV and jump to a sports
channel. A match between Bangalore Bombers and Mumbai Marathas is on!
Munaf Patel and Andrew Flintoff open the bowling for Marathas, and
Rahul Dravid and Andrew Symonds open for Bangalore. Watching from the
stands are famous personalities with last names Mallya, Bachchan and
Khan. The stands are overflowing with people, and ads like "Britannia
Khao, Goa jao" are flying past my TV screen."

dp [no, it isn't me]

Salil

Oct 2, 2006, 10:18:02 PM10/2/06
dp wrote:
> dp [no, it isn't me]

I'd hope not; I'd worry about anyone who seriously dreamed of seeing
Andrew Symonds open an innings.

dp

Oct 6, 2006, 3:03:12 AM10/6/06
dp wrote:

Another blogger calling for BCCI to pull out of ICC and start their own
league:
http://venkatsampath.blogspot.com/2006/08/time-for-bcci-step-up-its-game-pull.html
Time for BCCI step up its game - Pull out of ICC?

"At the same time BCCI should start building a strong domestic league
with three or four foreign players invited to play with the domestic
teams. This will create a huge interest in India's domestic league and
in a couple of years, even the bilateral series with other cricketing
boards will not be necessary."

dp [good to see more and more people coming around to this view]

dp

Oct 9, 2006, 3:24:40 AM10/9/06
dp wrote:

> http://silkboard.wordpress.com/2006/09/30/best-of-india-vs-best-of-pakistan/

An earlier post on the same blog on the same topic:

http://silkboard.wordpress.com/2006/07/26/cricket-business-bcci-vs-mlb/
"Enough is enough! I want to watch good cricket each evening after I
come back from office. I want to watch the best in action regardless of
nationality or residency, and in my country where the paying public
lives. I want 1000 players to make a king like living out of the game,
not just 1-2 cricketers and a few administrators. I don't want this
international stuff every now and then, a few (friendly) matches once
in a while and a World Cup every 4 year shall be enough.

Bottom-line. I just want this passion to translate into a lot more
money spreading around in my country. If not MLB, then look at European
Soccer for example."

dp [yes, key is for the money to spread *within* the country, rather
than filling the coffers of ICC and all the other boards]

silk...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2006, 11:07:26 PM10/9/06
Hockey guys tried this and PHL is a good concept. But why do they have
so many other tournaments co-exist with PHL? If PHL season could be
longer, and some of these other tournaments could be dumped or merged
with PHL, things could be better.

I am banking on Nimbus/Neo to do a PCL((Premier Cricket League?). Such
a thing has to have solid TV channel backing. Buy rights for all
domestic action, then try sell it. In the process exercise money muscle
to make changes to the domestic league to make it viewer friendly. For
example: Push for a new national Twenty-20 cup. Cut Ranji matches from
4 days to 3 days. Use that 'extra' day you get for Twenty20 cup.

I am sure marketing buffs can figure better. I am waiting for my PCL.
Neo/ESPN/Start/Zee Sports or whoever - please oblige us.

- a fan
http://silkboard.wordpress.com