DW 9000

Eric Cappotto

Jun 11, 2005, 1:59:27 AM6/11/05
Hi There,
I was just wondering how people like this bass drum pedal.. DW 9000
I've read mixed reviews..
What are some of your choices for "Best Bass Drum Pedal"

Thanks,
Unkie

Robert Schuh

Jun 11, 2005, 2:04:19 AM6/11/05
Eric Cappotto wrote:

Hi Eric,
I bought one and thought it was a GREAT pedal. My problem with it was the
fact that you really need to carry it in a separate case. I have been
using a Pearl Eliminator and just toss it in my hardware bag and don't
worry about it. The DW had too many small things that could break off.
Adding another case added another trip to my set up and tear down, so I
stayed with the Eliminator. The 9000 is a VERY well thought out and
functional pedal, so if you don't tear your kit down much or don't mind
an extra case, it is a VERY well designed and great feeling pedal.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

Eric Cappotto

Jun 11, 2005, 2:09:37 AM6/11/05
In article <42AA7EE3...@yahoo.com>, Robert Schuh <rsc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Eric Cappotto wrote:
>
> > Hi There,
> > I was just wondering how people like this bass drum pedal.. DW 9000
> > I've read mixed reviews..
> > What are some of your choices for "Best Bass Drum Pedal"
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Unkie
>
> Hi Eric,
> I bought one and thought it was a GREAT pedal. My problem with it was the
> fact that you really need to carry it in a separate case. I have been
> using a Pearl Eliminator and just toss it in my hardware bag and don't
> worry about it. The DW had too many small things that could break off.
> Adding another case added another trip to my set up and tear down, so I
> stayed with the Eliminator. The 9000 is a VERY well thought out and
> functional pedal, so if you don't tear your kit down much or don't mind
> an extra case, it is a VERY well designed and great feeling pedal.

Hi Robert,
I've been using the Pearl pedal too, although my kit is all Sonor..
Thanks for your input, and quick response..
Eric

The Baz

Jun 11, 2005, 4:15:48 AM6/11/05
Hi Eric,
I also have a Sonor kit and had been using the Signature pedals for a long
time.
I purchased a DW 9002 pedal from Georges Drum Shop, and it was great
straight out of the box.
It is very adjustable and although it is much lighter in construction than
the Sonor pedal it feels much more solid when playing, mainly due to the
footboard having ball bearing.
I would recommend this pedal for anyone.
Baz

"Eric Cappotto" <EC...@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

Riddim

Jun 11, 2005, 10:29:35 AM6/11/05
I think it's the best thing they've mass marketed, comparable to the Axis,
but with a longer footboard. Buy 2 of those and an Axis differential, and
you have a match for the Axis, something which heretofore has not existed,
IMHO.

Mark Rance

Jun 11, 2005, 2:42:22 PM6/11/05
Riddim wrote:
> I think it's the best thing they've mass marketed, comparable to the Axis,
> but with a longer footboard. Buy 2 of those and an Axis differential, and
> you have a match for the Axis, something which heretofore has not existed,
> IMHO.

Does Interstate still sell the Axis differential? Do you recall what
you paid for yours? I have been meaning to get oen of those for quite
some time.

-Mark

Splat

Jun 11, 2005, 3:11:24 PM6/11/05

Not worth the price. I looked at them but bought a used Tama Powerglide Iron
Cobra. I think it's the best pedal I've played on yet, and I saved a bundle
on my pedal.(and my car insurance! ;-) )
---
Splat

Riddim

Jun 11, 2005, 11:42:23 PM6/11/05

"Mark Rance" <spam...@nomail.com> wrote in message

> Riddim wrote:
>> I think it's the best thing they've mass marketed, comparable to the
>> Axis, but with a longer footboard. Buy 2 of those and an Axis
>> differential, and you have a match for the Axis, something which
>> heretofore has not existed, IMHO.
>

> Does Interstate still sell the Axis differential?

Don't know. You could ask them, or any other dealer - -Harry, George, Mark
Turner, etc.

Do you recall what
> you paid for yours?

Never bought one separately. I have a few Axis A Double Pedals.

I'm thinking they run about $100.00 or so.

I have been meaning to get one of those for quite
> some time.

I think you'll be pleased. Can you say "slack free"?

George Lawrence

Jun 12, 2005, 12:17:34 PM6/12/05
DW9000 Only real technological innovation in pedals in forty years. the ball
bearing rotors at every point , including underneath the bottom of the
spring, make this the smoothest pedal on the market; not an opinion but fact
documneted in A/B comparsions at my shop. The Pearl eliminator is a very
reliable pedal and probably the best of that design with the most tweak
options. Many problems with the iron cobra. We fix more iron cobras than
anything else in my shop. I don't sell them. I do sell a generic copy by
Universal Percussion that has better parts that don't break.

--
George Lawrence
George's Drum Shop

"If thine enemy wrong thee,
buy each of his children a drum."
-Chinese proverb

Splat

Jun 12, 2005, 2:48:42 PM6/12/05
George Lawrence wrote:
> DW9000 Only real technological innovation in pedals in forty years.
> the ball bearing rotors at every point , including underneath the
> bottom of the spring, make this the smoothest pedal on the market;
> not an opinion but fact documneted in A/B comparsions at my shop. The
> Pearl eliminator is a very reliable pedal and probably the best of
> that design with the most tweak options. Many problems with the iron
> cobra. We fix more iron cobras than anything else in my shop. I don't
> sell them. I do sell a generic copy by Universal Percussion that has
> better parts that don't break.

I've heard more complaints about DW gear than any other "high-end" drum &
hardware manufacturer. For the price they ask for their gear they should
last almost forever. Among friends and associates most are using the Iron
Cobra and I can only recall one that had any problems with their pedal. I
know guys who use DW pedals. I can't think of one that doesn't love their
pedal, but I think their asking price is outrageous. I'd rather have a more
reliable pedal than one with all the bells & whistles, ala DW.
---
Splat

George Lawrence

Jun 13, 2005, 2:04:01 AM6/13/05
I wasn't stating opinion about the iron cobras, just the ratio of repairs in
my shop. The IC was redesigned once because it had so many problems with
certain parts breaking, so even the company admits it was flawed. They
improved the parts on the new pedal but didn't make them compatible with the
first model and there are still weak metal parts. Tama is famous for this
kind of poor R and D and is one of the reasons they will be the last brand I
will add to my store. Try finding Granstar or Imperial star lugs, sheesh.
They make some good products like the starclassic mounts and the starclassic
drums .

The DW 5000 series aren't anymore expensive than the other brands and the
only thing that breaks consistently are the hinges on only the very, very
old pedals. This pedal has been around for a quarter of a century and was
based on the Ippolito modified Gretsch pedals which were the first
gear/chain pedals. Camco copied that design and then Tama bought the Camco
name and pedal while DW bought the molds. The Tama camco pedal is still a
nice pedal though very lightweight.

The 9000 is more expensive because of the higher quality parts and more
labor involved in a higher tech pedal. I wouldn't call any feature on the
9000 "bells and whistles". They are all very practical performance features.
The rotors are smoother than any other pedal. In an AB comparison the 9000
will continue to swing after all the other pedals have stopped. The theory
is simple; less friction because of the multiple rotors. The built in
adjustable cam allows continuous adjustment of the leverage as compared to
fixed leverage on other pedals.

I find the DW and the Pearl pedals to be more durable and better designed
than the Iron cobra which is why I use them personally and put them on my
shop's rental kits. Thirty five years of pedal experience here and from the
beginning of both brands. I just don't have much demand for the iron cobra
either locally or nationally and have had the same used one in stock for
over a year. No one is beating down the doors for them. I end up selling the
Universal Percussion knock off which is a better product. I sell the DWs and
Pearls all day long.

--
George Lawrence
George's Drum Shop
2091 Front Street
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221
website http://www.GeorgesDrumShop.com
email geo...@georgesdrumshop.com
330 940 DRUM (3786)
toll free 866 970 0800
fax 330 940 3785

"If thine enemy wrong thee,
buy each of his children a drum."
-Chinese proverb

"Splat" <splat-hates-spam!> wrote in message

Steve Turner

Jun 13, 2005, 10:16:24 AM6/13/05
George Lawrence wrote:
> The DW 5000 series aren't anymore expensive than the other brands and the
> only thing that breaks consistently are the hinges on only the very, very
> old pedals. This pedal has been around for a quarter of a century and was
> based on the Ippolito modified Gretsch pedals which were the first
> gear/chain pedals. Camco copied that design and then Tama bought the Camco
> name and pedal while DW bought the molds. The Tama camco pedal is still a
> nice pedal though very lightweight.

I've been using my Tama/Camco pedal for years (15 maybe?) and the only
problem I've ever had was the setscrew that holds the spring eccentric
to the beater drive shaft came loose and had to be retightened. I watch
these "new pedal" threads with great interest because I know one day I
will replace it with the latest and greatest thing, but I'm not in any
hurry and I love my Camco pedal.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

Riddim

Jun 13, 2005, 12:43:28 PM6/13/05

"George Lawrence" <drum...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

> In an AB comparison the 9000
> will continue to swing after all the other pedals have stopped. The theory
> is simple; less friction because of the multiple rotors. The built in
> adjustable cam allows continuous adjustment of the leverage as compared to
> fixed leverage on other pedals.

You compared to it an equivocally tensioned Axis A with the same weight
beater and stroke length too?

Riddim

Jun 13, 2005, 12:50:06 PM6/13/05

"George Lawrence" <drum...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

> In an AB comparison ......>

What might be nice, if a pain in the butt to design and implement, would be
a bass drum Pedal Olympics, similar to NMSD's Snare Drum Olympics. What
relevant and duplicable criteria might we use?

Splat

Jun 13, 2005, 1:01:07 PM6/13/05
George Lawrence wrote:
> metal parts. Tama is famous for this kind of poor R and D and is one
> of the reasons they will be the last brand I will add to my store.
> Try finding Granstar or Imperial star lugs, sheesh. They make some
> good products like the starclassic mounts and the starclassic drums .

I have tried finding Imperialstar lugs, since that was my first kit. I still
have it, but did want to get some new lugs for a project. Next to
impossible. However, your statement about their R&D I find surprising.
Through the years I've never had any problems with their equipment to -make-
me look elsewhere. I play their gear because I like it. I don't solely use
Tama. I'm slowly adding in DW and/or Pearl hardware because I like their
features and what they give you (eg: memory locks).

> The DW 5000 series aren't anymore expensive than the other brands and

Played the 5K and 9K pedals and liked them. I know what they can do. I think
for the price the 5K is the better deal of them both. I will say that I like
DW and Pearl stands and accessory clamps the best. Both seem to be far ahead
of the other major players in coming out with useful items for us.
---
Splat

Steve Turner

Jun 13, 2005, 1:36:14 PM6/13/05
Splat wrote:
> Played the 5K and 9K pedals and liked them. I know what they can do. I think
> for the price the 5K is the better deal of them both.

I don't hear many people talking about the 7000 series pedals. Can
anybody explain how they differ from the 9000 and 5000 series? About
all I know is I tried them all out at a drum shop one afternoon and I
liked the 7000 the best.

Pete Pemberton

Jun 13, 2005, 4:50:51 PM6/13/05

> I don't hear many people talking about the 7000 series pedals. Can
> anybody explain how they differ from the 9000 and 5000 series? About
> all I know is I tried them all out at a drum shop one afternoon and I
> liked the 7000 the best.

IMO they are quite a bit slower.
--

PP
--------------------------------------

George Lawrence

Jun 14, 2005, 2:15:44 AM6/14/05
Nope, I should do that. haven't found that 25 th hour in the day yet :-)

--
George Lawrence
George's Drum Shop
2091 Front Street
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221
website http://www.GeorgesDrumShop.com
email geo...@georgesdrumshop.com
330 940 DRUM (3786)
toll free 866 970 0800
fax 330 940 3785

"If thine enemy wrong thee,
buy each of his children a drum."
-Chinese proverb

"Riddim" <rid...@localnet.com> wrote in message

George Lawrence

Jun 14, 2005, 2:18:10 AM6/14/05
It's hit and miss with Tama. Some of their stuff is just great and then
there are "dead in the water" problems with certain products. A guy called
me today about the old Tama pedals that had the spring above the pedal like
the old rogers design. It was a good feeling pedal but the curved footboards
broke all the time. discontinued in the eighties because of that. Pearl made
a similar pedal that feels very nice.

--
George Lawrence
George's Drum Shop
2091 Front Street
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221
website http://www.GeorgesDrumShop.com
email geo...@georgesdrumshop.com
330 940 DRUM (3786)
toll free 866 970 0800
fax 330 940 3785

"If thine enemy wrong thee,
buy each of his children a drum."
-Chinese proverb
"Splat" <splat-hates-spam!> wrote in message

George Lawrence

Jun 14, 2005, 2:18:41 AM6/14/05
the 7000 is basically the original 5000.

--
George Lawrence
George's Drum Shop
2091 Front Street
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221
website http://www.GeorgesDrumShop.com
email geo...@georgesdrumshop.com
330 940 DRUM (3786)
toll free 866 970 0800
fax 330 940 3785

"If thine enemy wrong thee,
buy each of his children a drum."
-Chinese proverb

"Steve Turner" <bbqb...@H2OlooWoodworks.com> wrote in message

Splat

Jun 14, 2005, 10:05:37 AM6/14/05
George Lawrence wrote:
> It's hit and miss with Tama. Some of their stuff is just great and
> then there are "dead in the water" problems with certain products. A

I always thought their stands were the best. I've got old Titan stands that
are 15 years old that still work as they should. In fact, they have less
play in the legs then Tama's new top-tier RoadPro or Titan gear. What I
can't figure is how almost everyone has mem/locks on their stands but Tama
doesn't give you squat. That's one reason I love DW and some of Pearl's
stands these days. They give you mem/locks at every connection. For someone
anal, like myself :) , who likes to have my kit setup the same every gig,
mem/lokcs are crucial.
---
Splat

Riddim

Jun 14, 2005, 10:38:08 AM6/14/05
It's in the kitchen, behind the rice bin....

"George Lawrence" <drum...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Lee K.

Jun 14, 2005, 2:28:01 PM6/14/05
I bought the DW9002 last year and it is so smooth and helped me relearn what
little double bass stuff I know. I am now back to doing simple paradiddles
for practice along with Simon Phillip's kick drum intro to "Wall Street" off
his first CD. Just been using it for triplets here and there and flurries
at the end of a few songs.

I am sure the single version is just as smooth....not to mention all the
cool adjustments. Still need to try the nylon strap one gig to see how I
like it.

Lee

George Lawrence

Donn Deniston

Jun 14, 2005, 8:50:42 PM6/14/05
Ummm . . .cuz they were stupid, maybe?

Sorry George, gotta disagree with you on this one. As much as I like Tama
hardware, I thought those were pretty gimmicky.

"George Lawrence" <drum...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Splat

Jun 14, 2005, 10:05:15 PM6/14/05
George Lawrence wrote:
> I think the Stilt stands were cool . wonder why they didn't go over?

AFAIK they still make them. I know a few guys who like them. I haven't had a
perceived need for them yet.
---
Splat

George Lawrence

Jun 14, 2005, 11:29:55 PM6/14/05
I had two of them. I used to use them on small drum risers where all the
cymba;l stands wouldn't fit. i could get the tilting leg up on the riser
with the other two on the floor so that they would set up correctly.