Slingerland Q's

DIRads

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
Hey y'all... picked up a new toy from fellow rmmp'er Andy Hambleton. It's a
12x15 Slingerland Field Drum which needs a bunch of work. I'm looking for some
info to help me make the right choices in restoring it. Here comes the

Slingerland 12x15 shell
Ply comp from outside in: looks like a thin (1-2 mm) ply of mahogany [darkish
brown, darker than maple], then a thick 3-4mm ply (lighter wood...could be
maple?), then another ply same as the outermost, and finally thick
reinforcement rings.
Finish is a silver sparkle wrap, which looks original
Date stamp inside reads "Sep 27, 1958", and above it in larger letters is
"P-040"
Badge is the standard Black/Gold Oval with airhole in the center (Slingerland;
Quality Drums; Chicago, Ill USA)
Tone control is a double circular felt, as I've seen on many Gretsches.
Strainer is a simple, P-85 type side throw, but the bottom (moving) plate is
missing, as is the inner plate on the butt.
Drumkey holder looks original, but is bent beyond usable.
The drum has 8 single tension casings, whose chrome is in beautiful shape!
(only the tension casings and outside of the tone control are chromed)
Bearing edges are very round, and the snare beds are substantial and pretty
flat.
This drum was never marched; it has no extra holes, everything looks original,
and finish is nearly unscuffed.
The hoops (wood) are gone, but I have the long single tension rods and claws.

So if anyone wants to help, here are the questions:
1. I'd like to restore this drum to playability, but have some serious doubts
about maintaining originality. Is this drum worth keeping original?
2. If not, then I'll either rechrome, or powder coat the hardware so it
matches. Who does this?
3. Regardless of originality, I'd like to put wood hoops back on this drum.
Where can I find period hoops, and what color would have gone with silver
sparkle?
4. The bearing edges and snare beds need to be redone, and I don't have faith
in myself to do them. Who does this, and what are the prices?
5. Can I find a replacement drumkey holder? Where?
6. You've been dreading it from the start: what's it worth?
7. How should I go about cleaning the finish?

Thanks everybody-
Now accepting all offers for endorsements and free stuff!
-Dan (DIR...@aol.com)
Remove NONE4YOU to reply by email.

DIRads

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
knew I'd forget something...
8. Can these single tension casings be turned into double threaded lugs, or
would I have to replace them?

Shawn Martin

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
In article <19990226173057...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,
dir...@aol.comNONE4YOU said all the stuff with the ">" in front of it...

> >So if anyone wants to help, here are the questions:
> >1. I'd like to restore this drum to playability, but have some serious doubts
> >about maintaining originality. Is this drum worth keeping original?

Marching/field drums of any vintage usually don't sell for that much in
comparison to normal snare drums, so you don't really have to worry about
destroying a priceless drum if you do alter it.

> >2. If not, then I'll either rechrome, or powder coat the hardware so it
> >matches. Who does this?
> >3. Regardless of originality, I'd like to put wood hoops back on this drum.
> >Where can I find period hoops, and what color would have gone with silver
> >sparkle?

I'd go with black hoops, and a silver sparkle inlay(if you get inlay
hoops). You might want to run through all of the various vintage shop
links that are listed on The Vintage & Custom Drum Page.

> >4. The bearing edges and snare beds need to be redone, and I don't have faith
> >in myself to do them. Who does this, and what are the prices?

I'm sending one of my Rogers floor toms to Jim Petty in Texas to have the
edges recut(http://www.jp2creations.com/). Jack Lawton in PA supposedly
does really good work as well. Jim charges $50 up to 16" if I remember
correctly.

> >7. How should I go about cleaning the finish?

The only thing that you can really do to clean up sparkle covering is to
use rubbing compound to clean off gunk that's on it. If it's yellowed or
faded, that's permanent. The sparkles themselves change color. I've had
a helluva time trying to piece together my Rogers silver spkl kit. It's
nearly impossible to find pieces with equal amounts of fading.
--

Shawn Martin

America's Ace Drummer Man Gene Krupa!
http://crash.simplenet.com/

strat81

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
Woh! A calf's head! Is it still bloody? Are maggots feasting on it?
j/k :)

>Need a 15" Calf head? I have one that you might like

PERC 1

Feb 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/28/99