repo pickguards what would you pay

1 view

Mark Cleary

Jan 16, 2007, 9:36:45 PM1/16/07
I am in the process of making high quality pickguards. I have done this in
the past but really only for my own use. I am looking into making a few just
for fun and something to do but naturally I need money to pay for the
materials and time. In the past I have made pickguards for D'angelico's and
these are by far the hardest to do because of all the layers of binding and
number of angles to cut and glue. To have one made would cost and you cannot
get tortoise color without huge expense.

I can make regular black ones with all the binding laying correct much
cheaper. A typical L5 pickup is really easy compared to this D'angelico one
I am making now. The materials run just for round figures about $15 for a
black guard. This takes no account for hardware or time spent. I see them
for a minium of about $60 for a well made one and at times $240 or more. WD
Music sells repro for $240 for Gibson L5. I know I can do better than that
on the price and e bay will probably give me an answer for at least one.
Anyone care to give me a thought about this and I am willing to take an
order if someone is interested. I think my problem will be delivery time
since it takes at least 2 weeks to make one with 5 layers less for ony 3
layers of binding. I have not decided on what to charge but I will take
opinions. This would not include and holes drilled or hardware you have to
do that since it will be different on most every guitar. Hollenbeck said I
was not bother him he since like most luthiers this is busy work for him.

--
Mark Cleary
Hollenbeck Jazz Guitars the Finest

RickH

Jan 17, 2007, 11:03:26 AM1/17/07

Speaking of Dangelico pickguards, my new DA EXL1DP pickguard has been
generating a LOT of static electricity clicks induced into the amp
whenever any finger touches it. It's got to be the dry air this week
as a cold front settled in. It's certainly no defect of the guitar but
I must be generating a lot of electricity. If your pickguards can
guarantee that this problem can be solved I would be inclined to pay
more for that feature, but $60 seems reasonable anyway. I dont know if
lining the bottom with copper or making a "copper sandwich" will help.
We're all out of Static Guard spray right now, but I'm going buy a can
and try that tonight applied with a rag. The static clicks are as loud
as the music, apparently induced into the guard mounted controls.

charles robinson

Jan 17, 2007, 11:50:32 AM1/17/07
I recently paid $90.to have one for a GB10 repaired (binding restored).
Charlie

"Mark Cleary" <mcle...@verizondot.net> wrote in message

Mark Cleary

Jan 17, 2007, 9:12:30 PM1/17/07
I would have done it for a better price Charlie but you would have comp for
me on my next gig.

--
Mark Cleary
Hollenbeck Jazz Guitars the Finest
Handcarved Jazz Guitars
http://members.cox.net/ruthster/hollenbeck/

"charles robinson" <robins...@comcast.net> wrote in message

dancesWithPickerel

Jan 17, 2007, 10:02:05 PM1/17/07

I've been in a scrape or two, but I've never had a pickguard
repossessed.

vintagearchtop.com

Jan 18, 2007, 6:59:09 AM1/18/07
Mark,

I have purchased 4 or 5 L-5/Super 400 pickguards over the years.

Joe at Archtop.com charges $125.00 but the EXACT pickguard can be
purchased at http://www.grguitars.com/ for $66.95

I hope that helps.

-Thomas
www.vintagearchtop.com

Tone

Jan 18, 2007, 12:20:56 PM1/18/07

dancesWithPickerel wrote:
> I've been in a scrape or two, but I've never had a pickguard repossessed.

Consider the repo man though - having to get into the house, find the
guitar, unscrewing the pickguard and all that, undetected. But at least
once he has it nobody will notice it in his coat.