BMW 1100 vs 1150

1 view

Gustav

Jun 5, 2003, 10:57:38 AM6/5/03

Im checking out these two bikes and would appreciate any pro/con and what
to look for info that you can think of.Im looking at used models 99-02 less
than 15k miles, There seems to be alot of R1100R's around for about $6-7K
(nonABS)...what do ya think....gracias Gustav

XS11E

Jun 5, 2003, 12:05:18 PM6/5/03
Gustav <AGus...@SPAMHotmailDOT.com> wrote in

Take a look at http://www.ibmwr.org and consider joining the mailing
list. There's tons of first hand information there from people who own
these bikes.

F224

Jun 5, 2003, 6:08:27 PM6/5/03

I just bought a new R1150R, I'm having a great time with it, and with the great
deals that BMW was offering on financing and five free payments last winter, I
got into it very cheep as a new bike. It's my first motorcycle in over 25
years.

I haven't noticed any of the oilhead problems that others speak of, but I am
also a bit of a novice yet on it.

Find the money and you'll find the motive...

Dave Funk

Winston Wolf

Jun 5, 2003, 6:27:56 PM6/5/03
On 05 Jun 2003 22:08:27 GMT, f2...@aol.com (F224) wrote:

>I just bought a new R1150R,

I have a R1150R also. Love that bike. Check out this web site and
message board for some good information about the R:
http://www.r1150r.net/

>I haven't noticed any of the oilhead problems that others speak of, but I am
>also a bit of a novice yet on it.

Is yours a dual plug version? I have a 2002 and have never
experienced the 'surging' that some talk about.

How about ABS? I have it on mine. I like the brakes on this thing
ABS or not......

Foobar T. Clown

Jun 5, 2003, 7:08:36 PM6/5/03
Gustav wrote:

> Im checking out these two bikes and would appreciate any [...]

Hi,

I've been riding a 2000 model R1100R for a couple of months now.
It's buzzy at higher RPMs. I seldom cruise at more than 4K because
of the vibration. That's about 70 MPH in top gear.

I haven't been on an 1150, but I think the biggest difference is
the transmission. The 1100s have 5-speed gearboxes while the
1150s have six speeds. Assuming the vibration kicks in around the
same spot on the tach, the 1150 might be moving a little faster.

-- Foo!

Timberwoof

Jun 5, 2003, 10:53:14 PM6/5/03
In article <3EDFCD14...@gazonk.del>,

"Foobar T. Clown" <fu...@gazonk.del> wrote:

> Gustav wrote:
> >
> > Im checking out these two bikes and would appreciate any [...]
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been riding a 2000 model R1100R for a couple of months now.
> It's buzzy at higher RPMs. I seldom cruise at more than 4K because
> of the vibration. That's about 70 MPH in top gear.

Compared to my old CB-1, my R1100GS is not so much buzzy as hummy. Make
sure it's not overfilled with oil; that will cause vibration at high
engine speeds.

> I haven't been on an 1150, but I think the biggest difference is
> the transmission. The 1100s have 5-speed gearboxes while the
> 1150s have six speeds. Assuming the vibration kicks in around the
> same spot on the tach, the 1150 might be moving a little faster.

And the engine has a little more displacement for some minor changes in
the torque curve. I haven't ridden an 1150 of any kind, so I can't
compare them first-hand.

--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com>
faq: http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/faq.shtml

Timberwoof

Jun 5, 2003, 10:53:53 PM6/5/03
In article
<Xns939150D82FACAG...@stuff.separated.by.dots>,
Gustav <AGus...@SPAMHotmailDOT.com> wrote:

Less than 15k miles? That's almost barely broken in. :-)

Winston Wolf

Jun 5, 2003, 11:07:10 PM6/5/03
On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 23:08:36 GMT, "Foobar T. Clown" <fu...@gazonk.del>
wrote:

>I've been riding a 2000 model R1100R for a couple of months now.

>It's buzzy at higher RPMs. I seldom cruise at more than 4K because
>of the vibration. That's about 70 MPH in top gear.

I would recommend adjusting the valves and syncing the throttle
bodies. That may get rid of the vibration.......

Cobrathree

Jun 6, 2003, 10:07:56 AM6/6/03

I've been riding a 99 R1100RA for the last three years and I love it. It
handles well, is comfortable two up (I have the hard bags), none of the mystic
surging and I think the ABS brakes have the best feel of any bike I've ridden.

I've also ridden the newer R1150R and it has a little more power, the extra
gear keeps the vibration out of the picture at 85 mph, but I really didn't care
for the feel of the new brakes as much - they seem a bit grabby to me.

My best suggestion is get to the local dealer and get a couple of rides. There
are so many personal variables from physical size to what you may find
uncomfortable as far as vibration, or what kind of handling traits you like. I
personally think the ABS is worth the extra money, but again it's a personal
choice. My local dealer has been very good at sending me out for an afternoon
ride on a number of his bikes.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

GN

Gustav

Jun 6, 2003, 11:05:40 AM6/6/03
cobra...@aol.com (Cobrathree) wrote in

> Good luck with whatever you decide.
>
> GN

I'd like to thank eveyone for their replies. I had a 67 r60 I rode accross
country back in the early eightys and have never gotten over the great ride
the BMW's have for the distance and different rode characteristics. Hell,
weather I was crusing thru kansas or trecking the back counrty in four
corners the bike handeled everythig I threw at it, and never let me
down...gus

Foobar T. Clown

Jun 7, 2003, 12:16:24 AM6/7/03
Winston Wolf wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 23:08:36 GMT, "Foobar T. Clown"
> <fu...@gazonk.del> wrote:
>
> >I've been riding a 2000 model R1100R for a couple of months now.
> >It's buzzy at higher RPMs. I seldom cruise at more than 4K
> >because of the vibration.
>
> I would recommend adjusting the valves and syncing the throttle
> bodies. That may get rid of the vibration.......

Hmm... Just had that done at the shop. Took it in 'cause the
valves were starting to make noises I didn't like. The adjustment
fixed that problem, but... I dunno. I'm still pretty much a
newbie. Maybe I just don't know what *REAL* vibration is.

I guess it's time for me to hook up with the local BMW club, and
maybe then I can compare my ride to some others like it.

-- Foo!