bohnanza rule question

1 view

Mark

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
In the bargaining phase does a deal have to involve the
either of the two face up cards? ie. can a deal just
involve cards in players hands?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark A Biggar

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98

Any deal is legal with in the following limits:

1) It must involve at least one card of the two on the table or from the hand
of the player whose turn it is. I.e., he can give cards away, but can't
accept them with out trading at least one card away.

2) There are no three corner deals. All deals are between two players and
the traded cards can not be involved in a further deal, thry MUST be played
to the fields.

--
Mark Biggar
mark.a...@lmco.com

Michael Svellov

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
Mark A Biggar skrev i meddelelsen <367958BD...@lmco.com>...

>Mark wrote:
>>
>> In the bargaining phase does a deal have to involve the
>> either of the two face up cards? ie. can a deal just
>> involve cards in players hands?
>
>Any deal is legal with in the following limits:
>
>1) It must involve at least one card of the two on the table or
from the hand
>of the player whose turn it is. I.e., he can give cards away, but
can't
>accept them with out trading at least one card away.

Nonsense!
The rules clearly allow *any* form of deals between the active
player and everyone else as long as he closes any deal with only one
player at a time. He can accept any free cards offered from any
players hand and he can give away any card from his own hand (or the
two up-turned cards).

Note that *no* card can change hands more than *once*. Every card
received from another player *must* be planted by the receiving
player. They cannot be resold (or given away) and cannot be placed
in the hand.

You are welcome to plant your two drawn cards and barter with the
cards in your hand only.

Mik
--
Mik
BRETT & BOARD

Doug Adams

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
Mark A Biggar wrote:

> Mark wrote:
> >
> > In the bargaining phase does a deal have to involve the
> > either of the two face up cards? ie. can a deal just
> > involve cards in players hands?
>
> Any deal is legal with in the following limits:
>
> 1) It must involve at least one card of the two on the table or from the hand
> of the player whose turn it is. I.e., he can give cards away, but can't
> accept them with out trading at least one card away.

Well I've been playing this incorrectly then. I thought deals could
involve cards from players hands, as long as one of the players is the
player taking the turn.

Doug

hu...@alctrz.enet.dec.com

Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98

Mark A Biggar <mark.a...@lmco.com> writes:
|>Mark wrote:
|>>
|>> In the bargaining phase does a deal have to involve the
|>> either of the two face up cards? ie. can a deal just
|>> involve cards in players hands?
|>
|>Any deal is legal with in the following limits:
|>
|>1) It must involve at least one card of the two
|>on the table or from the hand of the player whose
|>turn it is. I.e., he can give cards away, but can't
|>accept them with out trading at least one card away.

I don't believe this is correct. All deals must
involve the current player, but there's nothing in
the rules to my knowledge preventing a player from
accepting donations.

|>2) There are no three corner deals. All deals
|>are between two players and the traded cards can

|>not be involved in a further deal, they MUST be
|>played to the fields.

However, they need not be played to the fields until
all trades are complete.

Joe

Mark

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98
Follow up question about a particular situation -

If it is my turn and I have a card in my hand I
want to get rid of, can I ask if anyone is interested
in trading for that card. Conversely, if it is my
turn can someone say, "I'm not interested in the
two cards on the table but I'll give you a coffee
bean if you have a blue bean in your hand to trade."?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Jackson

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98
Mark wrote:

> Follow up question about a particular situation -
>
> If it is my turn and I have a card in my hand I want to get rid of,
> can I ask if anyone is interested in trading for that card.

Yes.

> Conversely, if it is my turn can someone say, "I'm not interested in
> the two cards on the table but I'll give you a coffee bean if you have
> a blue bean in your hand to trade."?

Yes.--
"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
THE PRINCESS BRIDE
Mark Jackson
Nashville, TN

Michael Svellov

Dec 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/28/98

Mark Jackson skrev i meddelelsen
<36869233...@bellsouth.net>...

>Mark wrote:
>
>> Follow up question about a particular situation -
>>
>> If it is my turn and I have a card in my hand I want to get rid
of,
>> can I ask if anyone is interested in trading for that card.
>
>Yes.
>
>> Conversely, if it is my turn can someone say, "I'm not interested
in
>> the two cards on the table but I'll give you a coffee bean if you
have
>> a blue bean in your hand to trade."?
>
>Yes.--

Marks answers are quite correct, I just wanted to point out that you
may even *give* the card away if no one has anything useful to
trade. You may also take a 'rain check': "If I draw something
usefull I will think of you next time" - Of course such promises can
be kept or forgotten on your discretion :-)

Mik

Doug Cooley

Dec 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/29/98
My understanding is that if it is your turn, you can trade anything in
your hand as well as the two "trading" cards turned up for cards in
anyone else's hands. The trades can be initiated by anyone, although the
trade *must* involve the player whose turn it is, and only two people
can be involved in the trade.

My nephew tried to work some quasi-three-cornered trades, but the rest
of the table put a stop to that quickly (very confusing for the
non-gamers). For example, he'd figure out if someone had a card he
needed, then try to get them to trade that card with the "turn" player.
Then he'd trade a card that the "turn" player needed for the card they
just traded for. I told you it was confusing.

We learned that you need to put *all* the cards that have been traded on
the table in front of the player and away from the beanfields. It took a
couple of rounds before everyone realized that you didn't put the cards
back in your hand, or that you couldn't sort them. Obviously a
conditioned reflex from every other card game on the market.

We called the beans interesting names, as many people do (we used the
expansion cards):

Beat-up Bean,
Smoking Bean,
Drunk Bean,
Speed Bean,
Cowboy Bean,
Mad Bean,
Peeing Bean,
Hick Bean,
Barfing Bean,
Slob Bean,
Hershey's Bean

Sorry, I can't remember the "real" names...which is why we made up our
own!

Doug

--
Doug Cooley
Mentor Graphics Customer Support

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Craig Berg

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Doug Cooley wrote in message <368968...@mentor.com>...

>My understanding is that if it is your turn, you can trade anything in
>your hand as well as the two "trading" cards turned up for cards in
>anyone else's hands. The trades can be initiated by anyone, although the
>trade *must* involve the player whose turn it is, and only two people
>can be involved in the trade.

This is correct.

>My nephew tried to work some quasi-three-cornered trades, but the rest
>of the table put a stop to that quickly (very confusing for the
>non-gamers). For example, he'd figure out if someone had a card he
>needed, then try to get them to trade that card with the "turn" player.
>Then he'd trade a card that the "turn" player needed for the card they
>just traded for. I told you it was confusing.

Not just confusing, but illegal. The rules state that you cannot
trade any cards that you have just received in trade.

>We learned that you need to put *all* the cards that have been traded on
>the table in front of the player and away from the beanfields. It took a
>couple of rounds before everyone realized that you didn't put the cards
>back in your hand, or that you couldn't sort them. Obviously a
>conditioned reflex from every other card game on the market.

You only put them away from the beanfields temporarily. The last
thing you do (before drawing three cards to end your turn) is to
plant those beans in your fields. This means either beans you've
just received in trade or, if you couldn't get rid of them, the two
cards you drew from the deck.

-Craig

*** Remove 'NOSPAM' from my return address when replying ***

Don Woods

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Doug Cooley <doug_...@mentor.com> writes:
> My nephew tried to work some quasi-three-cornered trades, but the rest
> of the table put a stop to that quickly (very confusing for the
> non-gamers). For example, he'd figure out if someone had a card he
> needed, then try to get them to trade that card with the "turn" player.
> Then he'd trade a card that the "turn" player needed for the card they
> just traded for. I told you it was confusing.

Not just confusing, but illegal. Any bean that is received in trade
CANNOT be traded again, and when trading is completed all beans that
were traded MUST be planted by the people who received them. (But
each player can choose what order to plant his received beans in.)

-- Don.

-- Don Woods (d...@navilinks.com) NaviLinks provides real-time linking.
-- http://www.navilinks.com/~don I provide personal opinions.

Mark Buckley

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
In article <368968...@mentor.com>, Doug Cooley
<doug_...@mentor.com> writes

>My nephew tried to work some quasi-three-cornered trades, but the rest
>of the table put a stop to that quickly (very confusing for the
>non-gamers). For example, he'd figure out if someone had a card he
>needed, then try to get them to trade that card with the "turn" player.

>Then he'd trade a card that the "turn" player needed for the card they
>just traded for. I told you it was confusing.

Mot sure if you know, but, once a card is traded, it can't be re-traded,
it must be planted at the end of the current trade round.

Good game, it's well worth getting the first expansion. Haven't tried La
Isla Bohnita yet though.

cheers,

mark
--
Mark Buckley

Doug Cooley

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
Craig Berg wrote:

> Doug Cooley wrote in message <368968...@mentor.com>...
> >My understanding is that if it is your turn, you can trade anything in
> >your hand as well as the two "trading" cards turned up for cards in
> >anyone else's hands. The trades can be initiated by anyone, although the
> >trade *must* involve the player whose turn it is, and only two people
> >can be involved in the trade.
>
> This is correct.
>
> >My nephew tried to work some quasi-three-cornered trades, but the rest
> >of the table put a stop to that quickly (very confusing for the
> >non-gamers). For example, he'd figure out if someone had a card he
> >needed, then try to get them to trade that card with the "turn" player.
> >Then he'd trade a card that the "turn" player needed for the card they
> >just traded for. I told you it was confusing.
>
> Not just confusing, but illegal. The rules state that you cannot
> trade any cards that you have just received in trade.
>
> >We learned that you need to put *all* the cards that have been traded on
> >the table in front of the player and away from the beanfields. It took a
> >couple of rounds before everyone realized that you didn't put the cards
> >back in your hand, or that you couldn't sort them. Obviously a
> >conditioned reflex from every other card game on the market.
>
> You only put them away from the beanfields temporarily. The last
> thing you do (before drawing three cards to end your turn) is to
> plant those beans in your fields. This means either beans you've
> just received in trade or, if you couldn't get rid of them, the two
> cards you drew from the deck.
>
> -Craig

Well, my family, who really got into the spirit of the "three-corner"
trade over the holiday weekend, will be very disappointed. And I
obviously need to read the rules more closely (although reading most
translated rules requires a certain flexibility). I suppose that the
publishers would never know if we kept using the rule, though. It seems
to work for us (once we got our heads around it).

After trading, I'm assuming that you could plant one traded card, then
toss the newly planted card in order to plant yet another traded card?
For example, I have two fields, the beat-up beans and the psycho beans.
I have a barfing bean and a hick bean that I've turned up and no one has
traded for them so they must be planted. I harvest the beat-up beans,
and plant the barfing bean. I then harvest the barfing bean (for no
coins) and plant the hick bean, leaving the hick and the psychos. Legit?

Doug

Mark A Biggar

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
Doug Cooley wrote:

> After trading, I'm assuming that you could plant one traded card, then
> toss the newly planted card in order to plant yet another traded card?
> For example, I have two fields, the beat-up beans and the psycho beans.
> I have a barfing bean and a hick bean that I've turned up and no one has
> traded for them so they must be planted. I harvest the beat-up beans,
> and plant the barfing bean. I then harvest the barfing bean (for no
> coins) and plant the hick bean, leaving the hick and the psychos. Legit?

No, Just like when you play a card from your hand at the beginning of the turn
you can't harvest a 1 card field in preference to a multi-card field. So in
the above situation you would have to harvest BOTH fields (the Beat-up
and Psyco fields) and end up with the Barfing and Hick in your fields.

--
Mark Biggar
mark.a...@lmco.com

Mik

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
Mark A Biggar skrev i meddelelsen <36910FFB...@lmco.com>...

More precisely: You can ONLY harvest a 1-card field when ALL your
fields contains EXACTLY 1 card. If you have an empty field you
cannot harvest a 1-bean field either.

Mik

Craig Berg

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Mik wrote in message ...

Mik is correct. However, if you had a field with, say, three beat-up
beans and your other field only had one psycho bean, you could
harvest the beat-up beans, plant the barfing bean THEN harvest
the barfing bean (since both of your fields now have only 1 bean)
and then plant the hick bean. You would do this if you wanted
to hang on to the psycho bean for some reason.

-Craig

Doug Cooley

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
This is a repost of an earlier message. Unfortunately, I hadn't set the
subject line correctly, so I'm reposting with that little error
corrected. Sorry for any lost sleep.

Apologies to those not in my immediate area for a lack of relevance.

I'm looking to start up (or join, I'm not picky) a game group in
Portland, OR.
I've heard of the Western Oregon Wargamers, but I'd rather play games
with a
smaller, dedicated group. I'd like to meet every other week, with
different
people hosting each session. Weeknights are actually preferred (Mondays
and
Tuesdays are best), although weekends would be alright. I think between
four and
twelve gamers would be a manageable size for a group of this nature. I'd
also
like to keep all substance abuse limited to the wine/beer/caffeine/sugar
category.

About me: I'm 35, a computer professional, and a musician. I have pretty
good
social skills for a techno-geek. I don't smoke, and have some trouble
with
"pet-heavy" households (allergies). I'd prefer to play with those who
take their
invasive habits outside.

My background in games is pretty broad, although my collection is mostly
wargames with a recent splurge of multiplayer and German games (see
below for
examples of what I have and want to play). My gaming style tends to be
something
less than cutthroat... I don't hold grudges (unless they are earned),
and am
more interested in playing these games than I am in winning them. I've
been
playing "serious" games, starting with AH stuff, since I was 12 or so.

My family also has a place in Sunriver that can be used for gaming
weekends on
occasion.

If you think you'd like to be a part of such a group, send me an e-mail
or call
me at the number in my .sig. I'd start hosting game nights as soon as I
can get
a quorum of four or five together.

Doug

Games I'm interested in playing (not even sort of a complete list):

El Grande
Elfenland
Cosmic Encounter (both Eon and Mayfair versions)
Crayon Rails
18xx (I have the German scenario, 1835 I think)
History of the World
Settlers of Catan
Twilight Imperium
Formula De
Modern Art
Bohnanza
Mu
Guillotine
Samurai
Roborally
Mustangs
Rise of the Luftwaffe/Eighth Air Force

Doug Cooley

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99

Ya know, I'm wondering if I even *read* the stinkin' rules for this
game! I obviously should stay away from ASL!

Sigh.

Doug

David B Eggleston

Jan 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/7/99
I e-mailed Doug and told him I was interested. Like Doug, my primary
interests are in Family Strategy and low-to-mid complexity Wargames.

Anyone else?

- d