Fooey on restaurant range naysayers!

Dylany

Oct 23, 2002, 5:36:38 PM10/23/02
CAVEAT: I take absolutely no responsibility for anyone following the following
advice and then running into some legal/safety/or any other issue. I am just
reporting what I believe to be the case! Your results may vary.

I finally got my brand new six burner Montague Grizzly all stainless steel 25K
BTU/burner gas range installed in my house AND IT ROCKS! I don't mean it just
rocks a little. I mean, this is the single best piece of cooking equipment I've
ever used, I will never go back, you will not be able to pry this thing away
from me on my deathbead.... I can finally COOK!!

How much did it cost? A mere $1500. Why on earth would anyone buy a Viking,
DCS, "Wolf Gourmet", Five Star, No star, or anything else for three or more
times the price and half the cooking power (I turned on my friend's Viking
grill the other day and laughed hysterically at the puny flame coming out of it
- was I supposed to GRILL on that thing, or merely warm up a plate with it)?

OK, here is the list of reasons given by restaurant range nay sayers, and my
response.

CLAIM: The standing pilots on the range will emit massive amounts of heat and
waste gas and be a fire hazard.
RESPONSE: The standing pilots can be turned off and the range can be lit by
hand without difficulty.

CLAIM: The standing pilot in the oven is a fire hazard and also could blow out.
RESPONSE: An implausible fire hazard. There is an auto shut off valve if the
pilot blows out.

CLAIM: The oven door will get incredibly hot and burn the hands of small babies
who happen to be playing around the oven.
RESPONSE: The oven door on my Montague is well-insulated and barely gets warm.
No, I wouldn't let a baby play around it, but it isn't a hazard for sensible
adults.

CLAIM: The sides of the oven will get incredibly hot and cause anything within
a stone's throw to burn.
RESPONSE: The sides of the oven get toasty, but not, in my view, hot enough to
burn anything (again, results may very by manufacturer - Montague seems better
insulated than others). Personally, I have a non-combustible tiled wall around
the range with about 2" of clearance. This is within the manufacturer's
specficiation. It's hard to imagine this thing putting off enough heat to burn
anything even with pretty close to direct contact, and certainly not with about
2" of clearance. Your results could vary. Good luck.

CLAIM: The burner dials do not have a "safety lock" and may be jarred on by a
friend leaning against the range.
RESPONSE: I can't imagine a way of turning the dials by leaning on the range;
they sit will under an overhang, so when you lean on the range, you lean on the
overhang. (The oven dial on my range actually does have a safety lock, for what
it's worth.) I think the solution to this problem is to get smarter friends. I
admit a child might find it easier to mess with this range than a typical
range, but the fact is, if I had kids who I felt were not old enough to
understand the dangers of cooking equipment (I don't), I wouldn't let them in
the kitchen at all.

CLAIM: Fire insurance will be voided by such a range.
RESPONSE: False, at least with my insurance, and I would love to see someone
quote an insurance policy where it is actually an issue - I think this is an
urban legend.

CLAIM: Building codes will be voided by such a range.
RESPONSE: Not according to my building code department, but who actually cares
about building codes anyway?

CLAIM: A commercial hood is required for such a range.
RESPONSE: Yes, a hood is required (although for light cooking one can probably
get away without it). It turns out, in my case that I effectively have a
pre-built tile canopy above the range which functions as a hood, and all I
needed to do was install a 1000CFM blower where the current fan is. Cost: $400.
In any event, a commercial hood built by a custom restaurant place does not
cost much more than the price gouging offerings from Viking, and they are much
more powerful.

CLAIM: A commercial hood will suck all of the air out of your house and pull
through CO from other appliances you will need an expensive makeup air system
RESPONSE: According to my hood guy, not unless you have a hood which is greater
than 1200CFM (I have 1000)

CLAIM: There is no "low setting" on these burners. They will fry everything,
including your steamed rice!
RESPONSE: My burners have a very nice range, thank you very much - and low
seems low enough to me. I can stick a pot on a simmer plate if I need superlow.
It's easier to make a hot burner low than a low burner hot.

CLAIM: A 3/4" gas line is required, expensive to add.
RESPONSE: In my case, I had 3/4" pipe coming up to my range, so it wasn't an
issue. Had I needed to install another pipe, it would have been $150 from the
closest line.

CLAIM: The hot oven and burners will make your kitchen unbearably hot.
RESPONSE: Not really for everyday cooking (ie., without every burner and the
oven going), and in any event, the hood should take care of that.

The bottom line: those who whine about the issues of restaurant ranges in the
home have probably never tried one. If I had kids below the age of eight might
I do things differently? Possibly. But other than that, it seems like a no
brainer, and the fact is I hope Viking goes bankrupt - they sell a mediocre
product, gouge their customers, and depend on consumer ignorance. VIKING, YOU
ARE STINKING RIPOFF ARTISTS!!

Those who are paranoid, safety conscious, have kids, are worried about
everything, or simply think they will blow themselves up are welcome to keep
their existing ranges. As for me, I feel like I got a Ferrari for $1500, and
I'm never going back. Vroom!!!

Phaedrine Stonebridge

Oct 23, 2002, 11:37:35 PM10/23/02
In article <20021023173638...@mb-fp.aol.com>,
dyl...@aol.com (Dylany) wrote:

A very interesting post, thank you. :)

Webmarketing

Oct 24, 2002, 10:41:37 AM10/24/02
In our market, such a range is simply illegal in the building code because
it isn't insulated well enough to reside near wooden cabinetry in a home
kitchen. That's why someone would buy one designed for a home in this
market anyway. Glad it worked out well for you.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

"Dylany" <dyl...@aol.com> wrote in message

Philip Weiss

Oct 24, 2002, 12:19:09 PM10/24/02
Restaurant ranges are not illegal by building codes. It is correct, though,
that you cannot place them too close to wood cabinetry so that they cannot
just be slid in between cabinets as can a residential range. Fireproof
surfaces such as brick, tile, or stainless steel must be placed anywhere in
close proximity to the range or proper air spacing on the sides must be
provided. That doesn't make them illegal and are not really a problem in new
construction. If one just wants to replace their current range with a
restaurant range, these issues could become problematic but, again, not
illegal. You just have to provide the proper clearances and/or
materials.Check again with your building department.

"Webmarketing" <webmar...@kconline.com> wrote in message

Dylany

Oct 24, 2002, 2:40:14 PM10/24/02
I'd also point out that it's a lot cheaper to put in a bit of insulation than
to pay $3000 more for an inferior product.

J Quick

Oct 25, 2002, 4:55:02 AM10/25/02

"Dylany" <dyl...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I finally got my brand new six burner Montague Grizzly all stainless steel
25K
> BTU/burner gas range installed in my house AND IT ROCKS! I don't mean it
just
> rocks a little. I mean, this is the single best piece of cooking equipment
I've
> ever used, I will never go back, you will not be able to pry this thing
away
> from me on my deathbead.... I can finally COOK!!
>
> How much did it cost? A mere $1500. Why on earth would anyone buy a
Viking,
> DCS, "Wolf Gourmet", Five Star, No star, or anything else for three or
more
> times the price and half the cooking power (I turned on my friend's Viking
> grill the other day and laughed hysterically at the puny flame coming out
of it
> - was I supposed to GRILL on that thing, or merely warm up a plate with
it)?

> OK, here is the list of reasons given by restaurant range nay sayers, and
my
> response.
>
> [snip]

> The bottom line: those who whine about the issues of restaurant ranges in
the
> home have probably never tried one. If I had kids below the age of eight
might
> I do things differently? Possibly. But other than that, it seems like a no
> brainer, and the fact is I hope Viking goes bankrupt - they sell a
mediocre
> product, gouge their customers, and depend on consumer ignorance. VIKING,
YOU
> ARE STINKING RIPOFF ARTISTS!!
>
> Those who are paranoid, safety conscious, have kids, are worried about
> everything, or simply think they will blow themselves up are welcome to
keep
> their existing ranges. As for me, I feel like I got a Ferrari for $1500,
and
> I'm never going back. Vroom!!!

Did you consider a professional induction cooktop? It might make your
Ferrari feel like more like a Festiva by comparison.

For commercial cooking performance in a home setting, induction would seem
to be a better choice than a commercial gas range.

LuckyJno

Oct 25, 2002, 9:30:44 AM10/25/02
dyl...@aol.com (Dylany) wrote in message news:<20021024144014...@mb-cg.aol.com>...

> I'd also point out that it's a lot cheaper to put in a bit of insulation than
> to pay $3000 more for an inferior product.

A number of months ago, starting a major kitchen overhaul, I called
and asked my insurance guy about putting in a commercial range. (Call
me an idiot for asking, but I figured better safe than sorry.) I was
told in no uncertain terms that he would cancel my policy for putting
in that range (a Vulcan). If I put it in without telling the insurance
company, they'd continue to take my money, but if I put in a claim and
an adjuster saw my range, I'd be immediately dropped. Even if the
range wasn't part of the problem.

So, even if my house were flooded, or knocked down in an earthquake,
once they saw my range, they would walk away and I'd get nothing. And
be left holding the bag.

To me, $3000 is a lot cheaper than risking losing my whole house.
Sure, the chances are low, but that's what insurance is all about.

You may tell me that my insurance guy is smoking dope, and that I
should install it anyway. You may tell me it's illegal for them to
behave in that way. Perhaps. But no one has ever said that the
insurance industry were squeaky clean -- and, once my house burns
down, they're the ones with the power. And if you're willing to risk a
half-million dollar home on something you read on a newsgroup, you
need to have head examined.

As I said, better safe than sorry.

--LuckyJno

Eric Lund

Oct 25, 2002, 2:20:22 PM10/25/02

"LuckyJno" <b...@houseofwindsor.org> wrote in message

Now, I can't be absolutely certain on this, but I think it is just possible
that there may be more than one insurance guy. I'll bet, if you go to the
other one (there's gotta be at least one), and tell him what you want to do,
he'll figure out a way to help you out.

It's really simple economics. The other guy gets zero dollars commission if
he can't help you and lots of dollars commission if he does. Afterword, if
you really like your current agent, you might even have a discussion with
your current agent about how you are considering changing companies because
the other guy can insure your planned upgrade. His attitude might shift,
slightly.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric Lund

Oct 25, 2002, 2:31:07 PM10/25/02

"J Quick" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message
I was not aware that professional kitchens used induction ranges. That
means nothing, of course. There's lots of things I'm not aware of. But,
since you brought it up, could you name some brands/models? What sort of
change does one have to have in one's pockets to pry one out of the dealers
cold dead hands? What do they use for ovens, because induction, as I
recall, is kindof a contact sport? Also, aren't you limited to steel pans?

Curious minds want to know.

Cheers,
Eric

J Quick

Oct 25, 2002, 4:53:32 PM10/25/02

"Eric Lund" <Eric...@west.boeing.com> wrote in message

> "J Quick" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Did you consider a professional induction cooktop? It might make your
> > Ferrari feel like more like a Festiva by comparison.
> >
> > For commercial cooking performance in a home setting, induction would
seem
> > to be a better choice than a commercial gas range.
> >

> I was not aware that professional kitchens used induction ranges. That
> means nothing, of course. There's lots of things I'm not aware of. But,
> since you brought it up, could you name some brands/models? What sort of
> change does one have to have in one's pockets to pry one out of the
dealers
> cold dead hands? What do they use for ovens, because induction, as I
> recall, is kindof a contact sport? Also, aren't you limited to steel
pans?

> Curious minds want to know.

Here's a link that answers your questions:

http://www.theinductionsite.com

Dylany

Oct 25, 2002, 7:04:01 PM10/25/02
LuckyJno writes:
>If I put it in without telling the insurance
>company, they'd continue to take my money, but if I put in a claim and
>an adjuster saw my range, I'd be immediately dropped. Even if the
>range wasn't part of the problem.

OK, here's my idea: go to the terms of your insurance policy, and find the
article that prohibits a commercial range. Insurance companies are bound by the
policy terms, no more and no less.

Edwin Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2002, 8:27:46 PM10/25/02

"Dylany" <dyl...@aol.com> wrote in message >
> OK, here's my idea: go to the terms of your insurance policy, and find the
> article that prohibits a commercial range. Insurance companies are bound
by the
> policy terms, no more and no less.

This is true, however, most will only insure a house that meets building
codes. Any heating appliance that is not installed to code may be cause fro
discontinuing coverage. If you install a commercial range, you just have to
install it properly with the right wall clearances as specified by the
manufacturer and your local building code.

This applied to oil burners, wood stoves, gas furnaces etc. Install
properly, maintain clearances, no problem!
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Peter Aitken

Oct 26, 2002, 9:10:53 AM10/26/02
"Dylany" <dyl...@aol.com> wrote in message

You'll likely find in any policy a clause that prohibits anything that, in
the company's opinion, poses an unreasonable risk. They do not have to
mention commercial ranges specifically.

--
Peter Aitken

LRod

Oct 26, 2002, 12:52:32 PM10/26/02

It's very simple. Have the agent put in writing that the commercial
range isn't covered. Then report to us that he did. That will be
newsworthy. Alleged conversations are just so much BS and don't mean a
thing.

Then go get a different insurance company.

This is a huge urban legend.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Peter Aitken

Oct 26, 2002, 1:17:23 PM10/26/02
"LRod" <LR...@removethispartpobox.com> wrote in message

Why don't you get it put in writing and signed that a commercial range *is*
covered? I have no opinion one way or the other, but if it is an "urban
legend" it would be nice to have more evidence than your say so.

LRod

Oct 26, 2002, 4:48:48 PM10/26/02
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 17:17:23 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
<pai...@CRAPnc.rr.com> wrote:

>"LRod" <LR...@removethispartpobox.com> wrote in message

>> It's very simple. Have the agent put in writing that the commercial

>> range isn't covered. Then report to us that he did. That will be
>> newsworthy. Alleged conversations are just so much BS and don't mean a
>> thing.
>>
>> Then go get a different insurance company.
>>
>> This is a huge urban legend.
>>
>> LRod
>>

>Why don't you get it put in writing and signed that a commercial range *is*
>covered? I have no opinion one way or the other, but if it is an "urban
>legend" it would be nice to have more evidence than your say so.

Because I don't care either, but the
"commercial-range-isn't-covered-by-homeowners-insurance" canard has
all the trappings of an urban legend.

Over in the woodworking world we have a similar one about dust
explosions supposedly happening because of static buildup when using
PVC pipe for dust collection. The fact that no one has ever been able
to cite a verifiable example of that happening doesn't seem to keep
people from propagating the lie.

Another one over there relates to doing one's own electrical wiring.
I'm not going to go into the details, but it's even more sophomoric.

Same thing with the "c-r-i-c-b-h-i" story. Lot's of opinions, because
it sounds just like something a big bad old insurance company would
do, but cite one verifiable example of a commercial range that was
installed in a home and an insurance company failed to cover something
because of the range.

When you do, I'll stop. Otherwise, you're stuck with my say so. It's
an urban legend.

Unknown

Oct 27, 2002, 4:09:01 PM10/27/02
On 23 Oct 2002 21:36:38 GMT, dyl...@aol.com (Dylany) wrote:

>CAVEAT: I take absolutely no responsibility for anyone following the following
>advice and then running into some legal/safety/or any other issue. I am just
>reporting what I believe to be the case! Your results may vary.
>
>I finally got my brand new six burner Montague Grizzly all stainless steel 25K
>BTU/burner gas range installed in my house AND IT ROCKS! I don't mean it just
>rocks a little. I mean, this is the single best piece of cooking equipment I've
>ever used, I will never go back, you will not be able to pry this thing away
>from me on my deathbead.... I can finally COOK!!

OK. So what have you cooked this week that was a vast improvement
over your previous unsuccessful attempts to cook over a burning match
or whatever? Or does one just fire up all the burners, turn on the
fume hood and go outside and watch the gas meter spin?

Peter Aitken

Oct 27, 2002, 4:12:38 PM10/27/02
<B.Server> wrote in message

Jeez, let the guy enjoy his new stove! Cooking is not just about the end
result. Good tools may improve the result, or they may just increase your
enjoyment of the process, which is valid in itself.

bla...@starband.net

Oct 27, 2002, 5:53:12 PM10/27/02
Well said. Nothing wrong with being a cooking equipment junkie. I'm one
myself. There is pleasure in cooking a great meal and there is also
additional pleasure in doing so with great tools and equipment.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

> Jeez, let the guy enjoy his new stove! Cooking is not just about the end

LuckyJno

Oct 28, 2002, 5:47:51 PM10/28/02
LR...@removethispartpobox.com (LRod) wrote in message news:<3dbaefb2....@netnews.att.net>...

> Same thing with the "c-r-i-c-b-h-i" story. Lot's of opinions, because
> it sounds just like something a big bad old insurance company would
> do, but cite one verifiable example of a commercial range that was
> installed in a home and an insurance company failed to cover something
> because of the range.
>
> When you do, I'll stop. Otherwise, you're stuck with my say so. It's
> an urban legend.

I may be harping on semantics, but an urban legend would be if I said,
"I know a guy who's house burned down and the insurance company
wouldn't cover it..." However, what I said was, "I talked to my
insurance guy and he said he wouldn't cover it." Perhaps the
assumption my insurance guy was operating under is an urban legend,
but our conversation was real. Personally, I have better things to do
with my time than pass along urban legends under the guise of fact.

I will, based on comments from the good folks here, look at both the
specifics of my policy and talk to another insurance carrier and see
if I make any progress there. News at 11, if there be any.

--LuckyJno

Kenneth

Oct 28, 2002, 6:39:50 PM10/28/02
On 28 Oct 2002 14:47:51 -0800, b...@houseofwindsor.org (LuckyJno)
wrote:

>I may be harping on semantics, but an urban legend would be if I said

Howdy,

I am interested in semantics...

What is "urban" about an "urban legend?"

Yes, I know that a book with that title was written years ago, but
ever since I have wondered if the concept should not be labeled as a
"modern legend" or some such.

--
Kenneth

Philip Weiss

Oct 28, 2002, 11:45:32 PM10/28/02
Check out www.snopes.com , the FAQ has most of the answers,

"Kenneth" <so...@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message

a.l

Oct 29, 2002, 12:41:41 AM10/29/02

"J Quick" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

I didn't know these things were so uncommon.

Funny thing is, is that we had one installed in my parents new house, about
15 years ago. Still going strong. Of course, it's just a cooktop, no oven
underneath (if there are any that are even like that).

I can definitely say that it is MUCH better to cook on one, than it is to
cook on a traditional electric burner type stove. It heats up very fast, and
the controls instantly have an effect. Even quicker than cooking on gas
burners. But I do still prefer gas, to these..

Wet Spot

Oct 29, 2002, 8:59:03 AM10/29/02
"Webmarketing" <webmar...@kconline.com> wrote in message news:<cMGdnQoDAtt...@kconline.com>...
> In our market, such a range is simply illegal in the building code because
> it isn't insulated well enough to reside near wooden cabinetry in a home
> kitchen. That's why someone would buy one designed for a home in this
> market anyway. Glad it worked out well for you.

This subject must be beaten to death every few months. Below is a post
from an insurance guy, last repeated here in August.

From: M. Smith (smith_ml@swbell-dot-net)
Subject: Re: High end range satisfaction
Newsgroups: rec.food.equipment
Date: 2000/02/24

"Richard" <rhgans...@inficad.com> wrote in message
> There is NO dispute! Commercial stoves are not covered in a residential setting
> unless installed to a commercial standard, which includes a fireproof wall
> covering, a setback from the wall and other appliances, a suitable exhaust
> system including grease traps and fire stops. I have experienced this and done
> the research. It just wasn't worth it going for the true commercial stove, as
> the costs of the installation amounted to more than the cost of a high end
> residential unit. In addition, neither Hartford or Uniguard would even write the
> insurance on the house with a true commercial unit installed regardless whether
> the unit met code or not. I was informed by both that installation of the stove
> would void my fire insurance.

You were misinformed. These "insurance stories" have taken on a
quality akin to the Nieman Marcus cookie recipe. There is so much
misinformation going around that is incessently repeated until it
acquires a life of its own.

I am a commercial property & casualty insurance broker with 23 years
experience. The only two situations which will void your insurance
once a policy is in force are: 1) Material Misrepresentation - you
LIED on your application. 2) Arson or other intentional fraud in an
attempt to illegally collect from the policy.

I know of NO homeowner's or commercial property policy sold in the
United States that contains any exclusion concerning "fire codes." It
certainly isn't in the ISO (Insurance Services Office) standard policy
which is used by 90% of the carriers in the US. If you wish, I'll post
a copy of this to you with comments on relevant sections.

Switch gears for a minute to your auto policy. Say you have an
in-force policy and a clean driving record prior until tonight.
However, you stay a bit too long at the office picnic and swill a few
too many beers. You get drunk. You drive home and have an accident in
which you run a red light (a criminal violation) while drunk (a
criminal violation) and injure the driver of another car you hit (a
civil violation.)

In spite of being charged with two CRIMINAL violations in this
accident, your auto insurance will respond and pay the claim made by
the injured party. If mere stupidity voided claims, then very few
claims would be paid. I know of nothing more stupid than driving
drunk. You may be cancelled shortly afterwards, but insurance WILL
cover this claim.

HOWEVER, lets say you've had some driving problems over the years - a
couple of DWI's in another state. You move to a new state, conceal
your prior record and lie to get a "clean" driver's licence in your
new state. You apply for insurance and lie about your prior history.
You have just made what insurance companies call a "material
misrepresentation." They would have never issued that policy at those
premium rates if you had told the truth. They may have refused to
issue the policy at all. As such, they can void the policy back to day
one.

HOWEVER, they first have to ask the "material" question on the
application. Then you have to lie in your answer to that question. If
they don't ask the question, you've misrepresented nothing and the
policy is valid.

Back to your homeowner's policy. You mentioned 2 insurance companies.
There are about 2,300 licensed property & casualty insurance carriers
in the United States. They do NOT all have the same underwriting
criteria. My last house had a commercial 6 burner Wolfe stove with a
36" oven installed in a 100 year old house. My insurance carrier had
no problem insuring our home and never even asked about kitchen
appliances.

POINT: do not confuse truthfully answering questions on an application
that may result in the company not offering you a policy with the
actual coverage afforded once the policy is issued.

Alternatively, do not offer answers to questions which the insurance
company hasn't even bothered to ask. If they think the question is
important, they'll ask it.

Hartford may well have asked about your kitchen on their application
(I represent Hartford for commercial lines but not personal lines) but
dozens of other companies don't. That's the key. The insurance carrier
has to "ask the question" before you can give a reply that is a
material misrepresentation.

Your auto policy does not say "you will never drive drunk and if you
do your policy will be void for any claim." No homeowner's policy
contains an "I will never smoke in bed" exclusion, even though that is
a major fire-code no-no.

Similarly, homeowners insurance applications often ask if you have a
wood stove or alarm system. You get a premium increase if you have a
wood stove (or maybe even get turned down) and you get a premium
credit for the alarm. Say you answered both questions truthfully in
1995 - no wood stove and yes to an alarm.

Here we are 5 years later and you dropped the alarm because they
doubled the monthly bill in 1998 and you now have a wood stove in 1999
because your new wife wants to be "self-sufficient."

You have a fire from the stove which doesn't get a quick response from
the fire department because there is no alarm and there is extensive
damage. Will the policy cover? You betcha! Only three caveats. 1) Your
ORIGINAL 1995 answers were indeed correct at that time. 2) You did not
lie on any renewal questionnaires regarding these two issues. 3) The
fire was not arson or an intent to defaud.

No insurance company wants you to do foolish and stupid things that
increases the chance of your having a claim. But shy of fraudulent
intent, the standard exclusions in a property insurance policy are
pretty clear and none involve "fire codes."

Remember, lies, fraud and cheating will void an insurance policy. Mere
stupidity won't. Look at it this way. You think insurance companies
like the idea of propane fired deep fat fryer turkey vats on wood
porches all over America?

Now, find me the deep fat fryer exclusion on your homeowner's
policy....

Hint. There isn't one.

Google Home - Advertise with Us - Search Solutions - Language Tools -
Jobs, Press, & Help

Peter Aitken

Oct 29, 2002, 9:44:51 AM10/29/02
"Wet Spot" <_WetS...@excite.com> wrote in message

<much snipping>

In this entire thread I am somewhat amazed at the stupidity (sorry but
there's no other word that fits) of many of the posts. Most people seem to
think that there's one final and objective "truth" to this dispute - that
commercials stoves *are* covered by every insurance company, every policy,
every home, all conditions, with no excceptions - or that they are *not*
covered. Things are rarely that simple. Insurance companies differ, state
regulations differ, individual policies differ, etc etc. It seems clear that
coverage for commercial stoves in the home varies - there is no single
answer to the question. Why can't people get it thru their thick skulls that
a question of insurance coverage is not likely to have a nice clearcut
answer like like questions such as "what's the atomic weight of lead" or
"what's the capital of Italy?" Jeeez, people, THINK a little!

LRod

Oct 29, 2002, 11:46:13 AM10/29/02
On 29 Oct 2002 05:59:03 -0800, _WetS...@excite.com (Wet Spot) wrote:

>This subject must be beaten to death every few months. Below is a post
>from an insurance guy, last repeated here in August.

Thank you. Exactly the post I had in mind when I started my responses
in this thread.

As I said, urban legend.

Dylan Yolles

Oct 29, 2002, 11:55:28 PM10/29/02
"Peter Aitken" <pai...@CRAPnc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<D9xv9.29202$ku2.1...@twister.southeast.rr.com>...

> In this entire thread I am somewhat amazed at the stupidity (sorry but
> there's no other word that fits) of many of the posts. Most people seem to
> think that there's one final and objective "truth" to this dispute - that
> commercials stoves *are* covered by every insurance company, every policy,
> every home, all conditions, with no excceptions - or that they are *not*
> covered. Things are rarely that simple. Insurance companies differ, state
etc.

I think those of us in the urban legend camp are still waiting to hear
quotes from actual insurance policies which either directly or
indirectly would prohibit commercial ranges. No one has cited one yet;
one person said their agent told them it wouldn't be covered but
didn't actually go back to the policy.

I will believe that it's universally Viking produced propoganda until
proven otherwise. They have a lot of money to reinvest in defrauding
consumers, once they have taken the profits from their price gouging
stoves.

Ajax

Oct 30, 2002, 1:08:31 AM10/30/02
what's the dig on the Nieman Marcus Cookie Recipe? Newbie here.

Wet Spot wrote:

> "Webmarketing" <webmar...@kconline.com> wrote in message news:<cMGdnQoDAtt...@kconline.com>...
> > In our market, such a range is simply illegal in the building code because
> > it isn't insulated well enough to reside near wooden cabinetry in a home
> > kitchen. That's why someone would buy one designed for a home in this
> > market anyway. Glad it worked out well for you.
> >

> This subject must be beaten to death every few months. Below is a post
> from an insurance guy, last repeated here in August.
>

> blah blah blah

DawnK

Oct 30, 2002, 1:26:24 AM10/30/02

"Ajax" <got...@ibmnet.net> wrote in message news:3DBF77...@ibmnet.net...

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.htm

dawn

Janni Cone

Oct 30, 2002, 1:20:46 PM10/30/02

"Dylan Yolles" <dyl...@aol.com> wrote in message

Has anyone actually READ their insurance policy? I read mine (Fireman's
Fund) and there is nothing about ranges or fire codes. That's really just
not how policies are usually written... They are general - and the
exclusions are things like flood, damages resulting out of business
operation, illegal activities, your auto, etc...

Janni

M. Smith

Oct 30, 2002, 3:48:38 PM10/30/02

"Janni Cone" <jann...@nc.rspamr.com> wrote in message

I congratulate you on reading your policy! Not too many people bother to do
that.

I'm the commercial insurance broker who wrote the article about commercial
stoves and homeowner's insurance a couple of year's back. (Switched ISP's in
the meantime so the header trail will be different.)

However, everything I wrote the first time regarding insurance policies,
material misrepresentations, fraud, fire codes and the like still holds
true.

One item I'd like to clarify futher though. There can be safety issues in
using commercial equipment in homes. That is a whole separate issue from the
insurance question, however.

That said, every stove/range manufacturer - whether for commercial or
residential use - provides specific instructions for installation and use of
their products. Issues can include adequacy of fuel hookup (whether
electric, propane, natural gas, etc.), clearance to combustibles (floor,
walls, other cabinetry), ventilation and so on. A wise person will pay
attention to those instructions even if insurance coverage is not an issue.

M. Smith

Janni Cone

Oct 30, 2002, 4:25:37 PM10/30/02

"M. Smith" <smithm@networkusadotnet> wrote in message
:-) Thanks - it amazes me when everyone asks the question - no one can
answer FOR them and THEY already have all the information they need in their
policy. I suppose it's easier o ask... but then try using the "But
KitchenWitch from rfe said it'd be OK..." defense.

Reading of policies comes from doing some non-standard things with cars (not
racing, but driving schools... :-)) and trying to figure out if I was
covered. There was NO WAY I was going to ASK my agent "Hi Bob, I have this
friend....".

If it's not excluded, then its covered......

Janni