Odyssey folding

Dan Goodman

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
The British sf/fantasy magazine Odyssey is folding.

Dan Goodman
dsg...@visi.com
http://www.visi.com/~dsgood/index.html
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.

Marcel

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
Damn, you're 100% sure? Their website doesn't mention anyhting yet.
Sigh, another one bites the dust.............

Marcel

Dan Goodman heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Julian Flood

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
Dan Goodman wrote:
> The British sf/fantasy magazine Odyssey is folding.

Sorry, could be my fault, the curse of the Flood story strikes again... That
makes, lessee, four.

--
Julian Flood
Life, the Universe and Climbing Plants at www.argonet.co.uk/users/julesf. Mind the diddley skiffle folk.

Dan Goodman

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
In article <931599808.20721....@news.demon.nl>,

Marcel <mar...@nimitz.demon.nl> wrote:
>Damn, you're 100% sure? Their website doesn't mention anyhting yet.
>Sigh, another one bites the dust.............

That's what the editor says on her sff.net newsgroup. http://www.sff.net;
Liz Holliday's newsgroup. It's also on a Rumor Mill forum at the
Speculations site: http://www.speculations.com -- Dead Markets forum, if
my memory is correct.

There will be a formal announcement.

>Dan Goodman heeft geschreven in bericht ...

>>The British sf/fantasy magazine Odyssey is folding.

Andrew Plotkin

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
In rec.arts.sf.written Dan Goodman <dsg...@visi.com> wrote:
> The British sf/fantasy magazine Odyssey is folding.

I think "The magazine folded" ought to end up next to "The door dilated"
in some literary essay somewhere.

--Z

borogoves..."

William Burns

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:00:50 -0500, Dan Goodman <dsg...@visi.com>
wrote:

>The British sf/fantasy magazine Odyssey is folding.

Damnation. My sympathies to you, Liz. Good fortune in whatever you
try next.

-- William

Year 2000: 175 Days To Go.

Jonathan Hendry

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99

Julian Flood wrote in message ...

> Dan Goodman wrote:
>> The British sf/fantasy magazine Odyssey is folding.
>
>Sorry, could be my fault, the curse of the Flood story strikes again... That
>makes, lessee, four.

Have you submitted to Slate?

Julian Flood

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
"Jonathan Hendry" wrote:
> Have you submitted to Slate?

Is it on the way out, do you want it to be on the way out, or are you asking
that it be helped on the way out?

No, but I'll kill it off if you like.

<whisper> Let me show you the merest hint of this most potent spell.
<fire blazes from his outstretched hands, thunder rolls, his kindly face
distorts and becomes elemental, demonic>

The lights flickered up to full and he blinked as the simulator crew helped
him unstrap. He looked at his hand, flexed his fingers. The skin was perfect
again. He thought how it had looked just before they had frozen him and
shuddered at the mummified memory. It was going to be worse on the way out
to Jupiter, he'd be drier and colder. Deep in his mind some tiny part of
himself screamed its fear. He fought it down.

<cackle scream>You're doomed, all of you! Doomed!

DK

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Julian Flood <jul...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Dan Goodman wrote:
> > The British sf/fantasy magazine Odyssey is folding.
>
> Sorry, could be my fault, the curse of the Flood story strikes again...
That
> makes, lessee, four.
>
> --
> Julian Flood
> Life, the Universe and Climbing Plants at www.argonet.co.uk/users/julesf.
Mind the diddley skiffle folk.

You too, man? I thought it was just me.
--Katrina

Dorothy J Heydt

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <7mcgal$8qs$2...@news1.xs4all.nl>,

DK <cooper17...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>Julian Flood <jul...@argonet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Sorry, could be my fault, the curse of the Flood story strikes again...
>
>You too, man? I thought it was just me.
>--Katrina

Cleve Cartmill had a story called "Time Cannot Wither" with a
curse on it, killed off about four magazines, it did. So he
wrote a story about *why* it had a curse on it (seems he'd
overheard the gist of an spell that conferred lifelong youth,
and They didn't want it getting out) and sold *that* to F&SF.

The editor added a note at the end that the last magazine
submitted to had suddenly revived for one more issue and with its
dying gasp *published* "the story whose title is not quite 'Nor
Custom Stale.' So now the story is in print--and what are They
going to do about it?"

Well, I was in my late teens when I got hold of that final issue
of _Beyond_ and read "Time Cannot Wither." And I do look younger
than I am, but it's like "Fifty-seven? I thought you were about
forty!" Nobody would ever take me for a teenager. Maybe the
spell got vitiated over time....

Anyway, the thing for Julian and Katrina to figure out is, what
is in their stories that makes Them kill off magazines rather
than let the things see print.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Jonathan W Hendry

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In rec.arts.sf.composition Julian Flood <jul...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> "Jonathan Hendry" wrote:
> > Have you submitted to Slate?

> Is it on the way out, do you want it to be on the way out, or are you asking
> that it be helped on the way out?

Asking that it be helped. Preferably if the owners can be helped
too. Them being Microsoft.

> No, but I'll kill it off if you like.

Joy.

> <whisper> Let me show you the merest hint of this most potent spell.
> <fire blazes from his outstretched hands, thunder rolls, his kindly face
> distorts and becomes elemental, demonic>

> The lights flickered up to full and he blinked as the simulator crew helped
> him unstrap. He looked at his hand, flexed his fingers. The skin was perfect
> again. He thought how it had looked just before they had frozen him and
> shuddered at the mummified memory. It was going to be worse on the way out
> to Jupiter, he'd be drier and colder. Deep in his mind some tiny part of
> himself screamed its fear. He fought it down.

> <cackle scream>You're doomed, all of you! Doomed!

I think I'm going to lay down for a while.

Julian Flood

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
(Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> Anyway, the thing for Julian and Katrina to figure out is, what
> is in their stories that makes Them kill off magazines rather
> than let the things see print.

<airily> Envy, my dear, pure envy. </>

Paul Andinach

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Cleve Cartmill had a story called "Time Cannot Wither" with a curse
> on it, killed off about four magazines, it did. So he wrote a story
> about *why* it had a curse on it (seems he'd overheard the gist of
> an spell that conferred lifelong youth, and They didn't want it
> getting out) and sold *that* to F&SF.

There's a story, which I really wish I could remember the details of,
which consists of a series of letters between the author and various
SF magazines. All the letters from the magazines are along the lines
of "Thank you for your contribution, but we already published exactly
this story 20 years ago". The author, in his various letters to the
magazines, gets more and more defensive, pleading with the editors not
tell him that some guy his never heard of has already written the
story. Eventually, he bundles all these letters together and sends
them to one last magazine with a cover note saying that he's done some
research into this guy he's supposedly plagiarising, and thinks it was
*the other way around* - Mr X was apparently a bit of a backyard
tinkerer, and suppose he invented some machine for seeing into the
future...? "Thank you for your contribution. It's an intriguing
premise, and we certainly would have accepted it for publication, had
[Mr X] not submitted exactly this story 20 years ago..."

Paul
--
The sixth Sikh sheik's sixth sheep's sick.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99

"Who's Cribbing?" by Jack Lewis, 1953. It's in Asimov & Conklin's _50
Short Science Fiction Tales_.

--

The Misenchanted Page: http://www.sff.net/people/LWE/ Last update 4/24/99

Paul Andinach

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:

> "Who's Cribbing?" by Jack Lewis, 1953. It's in Asimov & Conklin's
> _50 Short Science Fiction Tales_.

That's the one.

Dan Goodman

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.99071...@mermaid.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>,

Paul Andinach <pand...@mermaid.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> Cleve Cartmill had a story called "Time Cannot Wither" with a curse
>> on it, killed off about four magazines, it did. So he wrote a story
>> about *why* it had a curse on it (seems he'd overheard the gist of
>> an spell that conferred lifelong youth, and They didn't want it
>> getting out) and sold *that* to F&SF.
>
>There's a story, which I really wish I could remember the details of,
>which consists of a series of letters between the author and various
>SF magazines. All the letters from the magazines are along the lines
>of "Thank you for your contribution, but we already published exactly
>this story 20 years ago". The author, in his various letters to the
>magazines, gets more and more defensive, pleading with the editors not
>tell him that some guy his never heard of has already written the
>story. Eventually, he bundles all these letters together and sends
>them to one last magazine with a cover note saying that he's done some
>research into this guy he's supposedly plagiarising, and thinks it was
>*the other way around* - Mr X was apparently a bit of a backyard
>tinkerer, and suppose he invented some machine for seeing into the
>future...? "Thank you for your contribution. It's an intriguing
>premise, and we certainly would have accepted it for publication, had
>[Mr X] not submitted exactly this story 20 years ago..."

Sounds like "Who's Cribbing?" by Jack Lewis.

DK

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99

> >> Sorry, could be my fault, the curse of the Flood story strikes again...
> >
> >You too, man? I thought it was just me.
> >--Katrina

(snippage of interesting stuff)> Anyway, the thing for Julian and Katrina to

figure out is, what
> is in their stories that makes Them kill off magazines rather
> than let the things see print.
> Dorothy J. Heydt

I'll _try_, but so far I've done it with three short stories and an
_accepted_ (nay: commissioned, approved, and accepted!) illustration (which
will probably see print anyway elsewhere; longish story, nice person
involved). Unless it kills that market, too. Oh yeah, I also took out an
agent with a novel synopsis. But I will try a comparative analysis of the
pieces and see where it gets me.
--Katrina

Katrina Hinton-Cooper
Illustration
www.xs4all.nl/~cooper17/katrina/gallery.htm

DK

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99

> (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote:
> > Anyway, the thing for Julian and Katrina to figure out is, what
> > is in their stories that makes Them kill off magazines rather
> > than let the things see print.
>
> <airily> Envy, my dear, pure envy. </>
>
> --
> Julian Flood
> Life, the Universe and Climbing Plants at www.argonet.co.uk/users/julesf.
Mind the diddley skiffle folk.

Good point. On the other hand, maybe we're just too heavy for them. Deep, I
mean.
--Katrina

DK

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99

> I think I'm going to lay down for a while.

Lie.
Sorry; personal crusade. Promoted by Theodore Sturgeon. He hated it too.
Please don't flame me.
--Katrina

Richard Horton

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:40:50 +0800, Paul Andinach
<pand...@mermaid.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

>There's a story, which I really wish I could remember the details of,
>which consists of a series of letters between the author and various
>SF magazines

I read this too. I =think= it may have appeared in Analog, sometime
around the late '70s. Possibly a Probability Zero piece. No other
details occur to me.

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: richard...@sff.net
Home Page: www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

Dan Goodman

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
In article <378ff0ba...@news.prodigy.net>,

Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:40:50 +0800, Paul Andinach
><pand...@mermaid.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>There's a story, which I really wish I could remember the details of,
>>which consists of a series of letters between the author and various
>>SF magazines
>
>I read this too. I =think= it may have appeared in Analog, sometime
>around the late '70s. Possibly a Probability Zero piece. No other
>details occur to me.

Astounding (now Analog), 1952; "Who's Cribbing?".