Final Crisis and Legion Summer special

Keith Lee

Apr 2, 2008, 8:47:18 PM4/2/08
All:
OK, the ads and such mention three Legions. WHICH three Legions are appearing in this special? I know of
the Silver Age (currently in Action Comics) Legion and the post Zero Hour Legion but which is the third Legion?

Keith Lee

Michael

Apr 2, 2008, 8:54:37 PM4/2/08

That'd likely be the current LSH, but it could also be the LSH that
carried on after COIE, an Elseworlds LSH (Superboy's Legion or the LSH
we caught a panel of in Kingdom Come), or an as-yet unseen version.

Michael

Tim Turnip

Apr 2, 2008, 10:35:49 PM4/2/08
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:54:37 -0700, Michael <this...@for.rent>
wrote:

>Keith Lee wrote:
>> All:
>> OK, the ads and such mention three Legions. WHICH three Legions are appearing in this special? I know of
>> the Silver Age (currently in Action Comics) Legion and the post Zero Hour Legion but which is the third Legion?
>

>That'd likely be the current LSH...

It's the current Legion. Plus it's not just a special but rather a
five-issue mini (Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds).

Tejay Schwartz

Apr 2, 2008, 10:57:54 PM4/2/08
This is gonna be one sweet series!

Duggy

Apr 3, 2008, 3:14:40 AM4/3/08

The obvious three are:
Pre-Crisis LSH (from JSA/JLA and appearing in Action Comics).
Current LSH (Infinite Crisis Reality Punch LSH).
Reboot Legion (Post-Zero Hour Legion).

Since the first two are active, they go without saying. The third is
a reasonable assumption.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 3, 2008, 3:18:16 AM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 10:54 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
> That'd likely be the current LSH, but it could also be the LSH that
> carried on after COIE,

Would people prefer a "Pre-plus Post-Crisis LSH" or a "Post-Crisis
Legion extrapolated backwards"?

> an Elseworlds LSH (Superboy's Legion

I'd like to see it as part of the 52...

> or the LSH we caught a panel of in Kingdom Come),

Which is connected to Earth-22, obviously.

> or an as-yet unseen version.

Agreed.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 3, 2008, 3:18:56 AM4/3/08
On Apr 3, 12:35 pm, Tim Turnip <timtur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's the current Legion. Plus it's not just a special but rather a
> five-issue mini (Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds).

Well, that's one of the two FC tie-ins I'm buying.

===
= DUG.
===

Michael

Apr 3, 2008, 6:57:01 AM4/3/08
Duggy wrote:
> On Apr 3, 10:54 am, Michael <thissp...@for.rent> wrote:
>
>>That'd likely be the current LSH, but it could also be the LSH that
>>carried on after COIE,
>

> Would people prefer a "Pre-plus Post-Crisis LSH" or a "Post-Crisis
> Legion extrapolated backwards"?

In general, I think fandom is happy to have the 5 Year Gap stuff dropped
by the wayside.

>>an Elseworlds LSH (Superboy's Legion
>

> I'd like to see it as part of the 52...

I'm not sure that'd be legally possible unless they rename Superboy.

>>or the LSH we caught a panel of in Kingdom Come),
>

> Which is connected to Earth-22, obviously.

Since that's Earth-Kingdom Come, yeah. Unless Earth-KC's LSH is set on
a diffeent Earth's future. It looks like the Time Trapper is involved
in this one.

>>or an as-yet unseen version.
>

> Agreed.
>
> ===
> = DUG.
> ===

Michael

Hand-of-Omega

Apr 3, 2008, 9:24:26 AM4/3/08
Was there ever a Legion from (Silver Age) Earth-2's future?

Dex

Len-L

Apr 3, 2008, 10:53:29 AM4/3/08
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:47:18 -0500, Keith Lee <cmarv...@yahoo.com>
opined:

Judging from the ad in Action comics this week, either the third legion
is Superman-Prime and the Legion of Super-Villains, or else that's who
the three "good" legions are teaming up against to fight.
Len-L

edeloso

Apr 3, 2008, 6:47:46 PM4/3/08
Do the people at DC realize that understanding which LSH is which is
nearly impenetrable to someone who hasn't been following them
specifically over the course of several decades?

Joe Sewell

Apr 3, 2008, 8:31:12 PM4/3/08
In article <pan.2008.04...@yahoo.com>,
Keith Lee <cmarv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Perhaps the Legion of Super-Villains?

Or maybe they're going to mix the Earth-22 Legion (which I'm *still*
saying are the Lightning Saga/Action ones), the Legionnaires (post-ZH),
and the WKRP ones?

I just know I'm sick of having the WKRP & Earth-22 ones around with no
mention (other than a little confusion from Supergirl) about the
discontinuity.

Joe Sewell

Apr 3, 2008, 8:32:34 PM4/3/08

Dan McEwen

Apr 3, 2008, 11:17:31 PM4/3/08
Joe Sewell <ultr...@spamcop.net> wrote in

> In article <pan.2008.04...@yahoo.com>,
> Keith Lee <cmarv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> All:
>> OK, the ads and such mention three Legions. WHICH three Legions are
>> appearing in this special? I know of
>> the Silver Age (currently in Action Comics) Legion and the post Zero
>> Hour Legion but which is the third Legion?
>>

> Perhaps the Legion of Super-Villains?

I think it's 3 LSH teams vs the LSV.

> Or maybe they're going to mix the Earth-22 Legion (which I'm *still*
> saying are the Lightning Saga/Action ones), the Legionnaires
> (post-ZH), and the WKRP ones?

Seems most likely. Ads show the Lightning Saga version (where's
Chameleon Boy, anyway?) and XS from reboot. I can't imagine why
threeboot would be excluded.

> I just know I'm sick of having the WKRP & Earth-22 ones around with no
> mention (other than a little confusion from Supergirl) about the
> discontinuity.

What discontinuity? Also, we don't know the Lightning Saga Legion is
from Earth-22.

Duggy

Apr 4, 2008, 3:11:42 AM4/4/08
On Apr 4, 10:31 am, Joe Sewell <ultra...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> Or maybe they're going to mix the Earth-22 Legion (which I'm *still*
> saying are the Lightning Saga/Action ones),

Based on Kingdom Come, I'd say that the Earth-22 LSH are more likely
to be the Post-Zero Hour/Reboot Version.

The costumes are the obvious factor.

Not that Earth-22 has to mimic KC in every way.

I'm not sure there are any real links between the LS LSH and the
Earth-22 Legion.

> I just know I'm sick of having the WKRP & Earth-22 ones around with no
> mention (other than a little confusion from Supergirl) about the
> discontinuity.

There aren't really too many people besides Supergirl who know to be
confused...

Superboy's dead, Impulse's dead, Superman's memories have changed.

That leaves, umm, Wally... and he was in the Lightning Saga story, but
was too distracted I think to do a check of the legion.

Plus, we know minuiate that someone meeting members of the Legion
wouldn't.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 4, 2008, 3:13:31 AM4/4/08
On Apr 4, 10:32 am, Joe Sewell <ultra...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> > Was there ever a Legion from (Silver Age) Earth-2's future?
> > Dex
> Nope.

But during the Reboot there was an alternate universe Legion that was
implied to be the Earth-Two version. (Sort of Liberty Files looking
version of the Legion).

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 4, 2008, 3:14:53 AM4/4/08
On Apr 4, 1:17 pm, Dan McEwen <ferroSPAM...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What discontinuity? Also, we don't know the Lightning Saga Legion is
> from Earth-22.

The whole Starman got lost and visited Earth-22 thing suggests it
isn't.

===
= DUG.
===

Nick Eden

Apr 4, 2008, 3:13:28 AM4/4/08

Quite clearly said no in CoIE

Howson

Apr 4, 2008, 2:41:23 PM4/4/08

"Nick Eden" <ni...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Also, the general feeling before Crisis was that, because the Earth-Two
Superman had no Superboy career , there was no teenage legend to emulate.
I'm sure I saw that mentioned in letter cols or Answer Man sections. I
guess 30th Century Earth-Two historians were underwhelmed by the legends of
Star-Spangled Kid, Merry and Little Blue Boy.
Although, a Legion inspired by Brooklyn of the Boy Commandos could have
been fun.

But the real reason was probably that, pre-Perez, no artist would have
considred drawing a team-up involving 50+ characters.

Howson

Apr 4, 2008, 2:49:14 PM4/4/08

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

Also, that Legion had a ten year run and so built up a number of characters
that the other two lack (Kid Quantum, XS, Gates, Gears, Kinetix). That kind
of variety will be aesthetically valuable in this series, as a lot of the
core characters aren't fundamentally different across the versions.

Howson

Apr 4, 2008, 2:57:30 PM4/4/08

"edeloso" <edhe...@mac.com.remove.this> wrote in message

> Do the people at DC realize that understanding which LSH is which is
> nearly impenetrable to someone who hasn't been following them specifically
> over the course of several decades?

Well, at least there are distinct versions of the Legion to give you a
fighting chance. The JLA have just continually morphed into an impenetrable
whole since 1985 - I've seen so many revisions and explanations and secret
origins and year ones that I can no longer tell you who the founders were,
how significant Superman and Batman were, whether Wonder Woman was ever a
member, how many of the JSA team-ups happened, which Hawkman they knew, etc.
But the (lack of) history is not a barrier to enoying the current book.

I honestly don't think it's that bad as long as the book is well written. I
can't name every Green Lantern either, despite reading the book since 1966,
but it didn't hurt the Sinestro Corps story.

Howson

Apr 4, 2008, 3:03:29 PM4/4/08

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

True - unless the Waid/Kitson team bring along those silver age books they
had headquarters in their first few issues and sit everyone down for a good
long read. Course, that would probably be a pretty boring five issues.

Duggy

Apr 5, 2008, 12:31:33 AM4/5/08
On Apr 5, 5:03 am, "Howson" <no...@nospam.co.uk> wrote:
> True - unless the Waid/Kitson team bring along those silver age books they
> had headquarters in their first few issues and sit everyone down for a good
> long read. Course, that would probably be a pretty boring five issues.

I mean, is there any reason to suspect, upon meeting a Lightning Saga
member that someone who knew the current or reboot Legion wouldn't
think "Oh, you're ... just a bit older" rather than "Wait you're from
an alternate universe."

The LS Legionnaires would know immediately, of course, but is there
any real reason that someone else would?

===
= DUG.
===

grinningdemon

Apr 5, 2008, 1:23:32 AM4/5/08

If nothing else, XS is in the promo image for this event in the back
of this weeks Action Comics...so that makes the reboot Legions'
inclusion very likely.

Duggy

Apr 5, 2008, 6:17:49 AM4/5/08
On Apr 5, 3:23 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> If nothing else, XS is in the promo image for this event in the back
> of this weeks Action Comics...so that makes the reboot Legions'
> inclusion very likely.

Well, the 3 Legions always suggested it. And XS or Gates would be the
obvious people to put on the cover to represent that Legion... however
there's nothing to say that XS isn't going to turn up in the next few
issues of LSH...

Not saying that she will, but it could happen.

Of course, she's way, way at the back of the group in the LSH panel in
Kingdom Come... so it could be the Earth-22 Legion.

===
= DUG.
===

Howson

Apr 5, 2008, 7:26:22 AM4/5/08

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

In most cases, probably not.

I suppose the obvious differences would be characters who changed race or
species - for example threeboot Star Boy and reboot Projectra - but they
might be assumed to be legacy heroes (like Jay / Barry / Wally / Bart all
being the Flash ) rather than from an alternate world.

Or there are some instances where the older LS version is alive, and the
younger reboot/threeboot character is dead - Colossal Boy, Dream Girl,
Element Lad come to mind. But there are so many deaths and resurrections in
the modern DCU that the likely reaction would be "oh, you're back fron the
dead too - good for you"

Tim Turnip

Apr 5, 2008, 8:01:37 AM4/5/08

That plus the fact that it's been confirmed by the creators.

Duggy

Apr 5, 2008, 9:45:36 AM4/5/08
On Apr 5, 10:01 pm, Tim Turnip <timtur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That plus the fact that it's been confirmed by the creators.

Geoff says that there was a panel showing all three legions removed
from JSA... but that it got online.

Has anyone seen it or can anyone point to it?

===
= DUG.
===

Howson

Apr 5, 2008, 1:20:12 PM4/5/08

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

Narrow vertical panel that looks like it took up half of page 2 of JSA 6.
I think it was replaced by that shot of the silver age LSH flying off into
red skies over Metropolis

The original shows the interior of a barn (presumably on the Kent farm) and
young Clark surrounded by lots of very, very young Legionnaires. Three
versions of Saturn Girl and Brainiac 5 are prominent, couple of Star Boys
flying overhead, Ferro driving a tractor, lots of others.

There was a link on the DC messageboards on Thursday, but that seems to have
been taken down. The Legion omnicom has a link at present
http://adventure247.blogspot.com/2008/04/legion-of-three-worlds-missing-panel.html
though the resolution isn't as good as others I've seen.

John L Fjellstad

Apr 5, 2008, 5:17:42 PM4/5/08

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152225&page=6

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

lione...@yahoo.com

Apr 5, 2008, 10:01:11 PM4/5/08
On Apr 3, 12:14 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 10:47 am, Keith Lee <cmarvel2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > All:
> > OK, the ads and such mention three Legions. WHICH three Legions are appearing in this special? I know of
> > the Silver Age (currently in Action Comics) Legion and the post Zero Hour Legion but which is the third Legion?
>
> The obvious three are:
> Pre-Crisis LSH (from JSA/JLA and appearing in Action Comics).
> Current LSH (Infinite Crisis Reality Punch LSH).
> Reboot Legion (Post-Zero Hour Legion).
>
> Since the first two are active, they go without saying. The third is
> a reasonable assumption.
>
> ===
> = DUG.
> ===

It's Waid's Legion, the post-Zero Hour, and the new "original" Legion.

lione...@yahoo.com

Apr 5, 2008, 10:02:51 PM4/5/08

I am sure Johns will assign an earth to each Legion. The question is
which Earth corresponds to what Legion.

Duggy

Apr 6, 2008, 4:29:05 AM4/6/08
On Apr 6, 12:01 pm, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> It's Waid's Legion, the post-Zero Hour, and the new "original" Legion.

You mean it's Waid's Legion, Waid's Legion and Geoff's Legion?

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 6, 2008, 4:30:09 AM4/6/08
On Apr 6, 12:02 pm, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I am sure Johns will assign an earth to each Legion. The question is
> which Earth corresponds to what Legion.

Too late, I assigned them all months ago.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 6, 2008, 4:31:16 AM4/6/08
On Apr 6, 7:17 am, John L Fjellstad <john-n...@fjellstad.org> wrote:
> http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152225&page=6

Thanks to both of you for your response.

Now... which would be worse... finding to of yoy from other universes
or finding you were the only you?

===
= DUG.
===

lione...@yahoo.com

Apr 6, 2008, 4:55:39 PM4/6/08

Would you care to share or provide a link?

lione...@yahoo.com

Apr 6, 2008, 4:57:56 PM4/6/08

I did not think Waid wrote the post-ZH Legion immediately post-ZH. I
associate that era more with Abnett/Lanning, although I do not believe
they were the first to write it either.

Dan McEwen

Apr 6, 2008, 5:09:43 PM4/6/08
"lione...@yahoo.com" <lione...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Apr 6, 1:29 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>> On Apr 6, 12:01 pm, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > It's Waid's Legion, the post-Zero Hour, and the new "original"
>> > Legion.
>>
>> You mean it's Waid's Legion, Waid's Legion and Geoff's Legion?

> I did not think Waid wrote the post-ZH Legion immediately post-ZH. I

> associate that era more with Abnett/Lanning, although I do not believe
> they were the first to write it either.

Abnett/Lanning did the tail end of the post-ZH Legion. Waid was there
from the beginning.

grinningdemon

Apr 7, 2008, 12:14:44 AM4/7/08

Agreed...the Abnett/Lanning run is my favorite Legion era but they
came along years after Zero-Hour...Waid was in on both the end of the
original Legion and the beginning of the Reboot version (pre and
post-Zero Hour)...and didn't the Bierbaums and Tom Peyer handle most
of the rest of it until Abnett and Lanning came on, or am I dreaming?

Duggy

Apr 7, 2008, 5:31:04 AM4/7/08
On Apr 7, 6:57 am, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I did not think Waid wrote the post-ZH Legion immediately post-ZH.

I do. He wrote (I think with someone else) LSH & L* #0, and many of
the following issues, starting in 1994.

> I associate that era more with Abnett/Lanning, although I do not believe
> they were the first to write it either.

They didn't start writing Legion of Warcraft 40K Heroes until 2000 or
so.

Mark returned in 2004 to revamp the series again.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 7, 2008, 5:44:51 AM4/7/08
On Apr 7, 6:55 am, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 6, 1:30 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Apr 6, 12:02 pm, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I am sure Johns will assign an earth to each Legion. The question is
> > > which Earth corresponds to what Legion.
> > Too late, I assigned them all months ago.
> Would you care to share or provide a link?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh/browse_thread/thread/1794d899bcff53a9#

OK, not all. All that existed at the time. And Earth-14.

Ignore any spelling/gramma errors.

===
= DUG.
===

Tim Turnip

Apr 7, 2008, 6:52:13 AM4/7/08

The Bierbaums? No, you are dreaming (or having a nightmare). They
did not participate in any of the rebooted versions; they were around
only for part of the the "Five Years Later" period of the original
Legion, along with Giffen and Al Gordon (1989-1994). Tom McCraw
stepped in to handle that era through to its end (with Waid assisting
on the final "End of an Era" arc).

McCraw stayed on through to help Waid with the start of the reboot
period (1994-2000). Tom Peyer co-wrote the concurrent "Legionnaires"
title, so you're correct about that part. When Waid left the Legion,
Peyer moved over to the main LSH title and was replaced on
Legionnaires by Roger Stern. Abnett/Lanning came on to restart the
book through its period of being just "The Legion" (2000-2004) which
was wrapped up with a brief run by Gail Simone.

Then of course the more recent "threeboot" period was begun by Mark
Waid and Barry Kitson, making Waid the only writer (except for, as of
now, Jim Shooter) to regularly write more than one version of the
Legion.

Dan McEwen

Apr 7, 2008, 10:46:43 AM4/7/08
grinningdemon <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in

Peyer, Stern and McCraw. IIRC, Stern's wife was also involved. The
Bierbaums had nothing to do with that version. I thought the book
started out okay but really lost something when Waid left. Then I quit
until a few issues into Legion by DnA. It took all those years to
become something decent and then it gets cancelled.

Howson

Apr 7, 2008, 5:14:24 PM4/7/08

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

Hmmm .... Difficult one. Realising I was unique in the multiverse would
feed my vanity ..... then again, maybe my Legion simply had lower
standards and I just didn't make the grade in the other two versions .
Very troubling.

I really wouldn't want to meet younger, more successful versions of myself -
though my wife could probably see some positives in the situation.

Joe Sewell

Apr 7, 2008, 9:25:06 PM4/7/08
In article <Xns9A75EC1A...@130.133.1.4>,
Dan McEwen <ferroS...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe Sewell <ultr...@spamcop.net> wrote in
>
> > In article <pan.2008.04...@yahoo.com>,

> > Keith Lee <cmarv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> All:
> >> OK, the ads and such mention three Legions. WHICH three Legions are
> >> appearing in this special? I know of
> >> the Silver Age (currently in Action Comics) Legion and the post Zero
> >> Hour Legion but which is the third Legion?
> >>

> > Perhaps the Legion of Super-Villains?
>
> I think it's 3 LSH teams vs the LSV.

> > Or maybe they're going to mix the Earth-22 Legion (which I'm *still*

> > saying are the Lightning Saga/Action ones), the Legionnaires
> > (post-ZH), and the WKRP ones?
>
> Seems most likely. Ads show the Lightning Saga version (where's
> Chameleon Boy, anyway?) and XS from reboot. I can't imagine why
> threeboot would be excluded.

> > I just know I'm sick of having the WKRP & Earth-22 ones around with no
> > mention (other than a little confusion from Supergirl) about the
> > discontinuity.
>

> What discontinuity? Also, we don't know the Lightning Saga Legion is
> from Earth-22.

(sigh) Yes, but I *still* say the Bat-robots and the thread-dangling
Joker card were obvious clues.

Duggy

Apr 8, 2008, 2:49:21 AM4/8/08
On Apr 8, 7:14 am, "Howson" <no...@nospam.co.uk> wrote:
> "Duggy" <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message
> > Now... which would be worse... finding two of you from other universes

> > or finding you were the only you?
> Hmmm .... Difficult one. Realising I was unique in the multiverse would
> feed my vanity ..... then again, maybe my Legion simply had lower
> standards and I just didn't make the grade in the other two versions .
> Very troubling.

> I really wouldn't want to meet younger, more successful versions of myself -
> though my wife could probably see some positives in the situation.

Would you get along with yourself... younger or otherwise?

===
= DUG.
===

grinningdemon

Apr 8, 2008, 4:30:31 AM4/8/08
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 05:52:13 -0500, Tim Turnip <timt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

My bad...I wasn't a regular reader of the Legion until the
Abnett/Lanning run so I wasn't sure about the creators...I did
remember Waid because I have read the trade of the beginning of that
version and I knew he wrote a good chunk of it...the others were just
names I'd seen along the way...I guess I mixed up the eras.

>McCraw stayed on through to help Waid with the start of the reboot
>period (1994-2000). Tom Peyer co-wrote the concurrent "Legionnaires"
>title, so you're correct about that part. When Waid left the Legion,
>Peyer moved over to the main LSH title and was replaced on
>Legionnaires by Roger Stern. Abnett/Lanning came on to restart the
>book through its period of being just "The Legion" (2000-2004) which
>was wrapped up with a brief run by Gail Simone.

Simone only did one story arc so I don't really count
her...personally, if I had to choose, I'd have much rather seen her
continue that series than Waid reboot it again.

>Then of course the more recent "threeboot" period was begun by Mark
>Waid and Barry Kitson, making Waid the only writer (except for, as of
>now, Jim Shooter) to regularly write more than one version of the
>Legion.

Right...and it bugs the hell out of me...why would the same writer
restart the same characters twice? It's ridiculous...and it's
basically admitting he thinks the first reboot was a bad (even though
it was better than the current series).

Dan McEwen

Apr 8, 2008, 4:25:58 PM4/8/08

> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 05:52:13 -0500, Tim Turnip <timt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>McCraw stayed on through to help Waid with the start of the reboot
>>period (1994-2000). Tom Peyer co-wrote the concurrent "Legionnaires"
>>title, so you're correct about that part. When Waid left the Legion,
>>Peyer moved over to the main LSH title and was replaced on
>>Legionnaires by Roger Stern. Abnett/Lanning came on to restart the
>>book through its period of being just "The Legion" (2000-2004) which
>>was wrapped up with a brief run by Gail Simone.
>
> Simone only did one story arc so I don't really count
> her...personally, if I had to choose, I'd have much rather seen her
> continue that series than Waid reboot it again.

Really? I like Simone's work but I didn't care at all for her arc.

>>Then of course the more recent "threeboot" period was begun by Mark
>>Waid and Barry Kitson, making Waid the only writer (except for, as of
>>now, Jim Shooter) to regularly write more than one version of the
>>Legion.
>
> Right...and it bugs the hell out of me...why would the same writer
> restart the same characters twice? It's ridiculous...and it's
> basically admitting he thinks the first reboot was a bad (even though
> it was better than the current series).

You're assuming the reboot was Waid's decision. I think they probably
asked him to do the reboot. Also, when Waid did the Reboot Legion, it
was good. It just got bad as time went on.

Duggy

Apr 9, 2008, 12:43:50 AM4/9/08
On Apr 8, 6:30 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Right...and it bugs the hell out of me...why would the same writer
> restart the same characters twice? It's ridiculous...and it's
> basically admitting he thinks the first reboot was a bad (even though
> it was better than the current series).

Or he's saying what had been done to the characters was bad... after
all, not everyone likes the Warhammer 40K Legion.

===
= DUG.
===

lione...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2008, 10:05:25 AM4/9/08
On Apr 7, 2:44 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 6:55 am, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 6, 1:30 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
> > > Too late, I assigned them all months ago.
> > Would you care to share or provide a link?
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh/browse_thread/t...

> OK, not all. All that existed at the time. And Earth-14.
>
> Ignore any spelling/gramma errors.
>
> ===
> = DUG.
> ===

Which one was the one most recently created by Waid and Kitson?

lione...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2008, 10:12:03 AM4/9/08
On Apr 7, 3:52 am, Tim Turnip <timtur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 23:14:44 -0500, grinningdemon
>

> <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> >On 6 Apr 2008 21:09:43 GMT, Dan McEwen <ferroSPAM...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>"lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com> wrote in

After ZH, what was the point of the Legionnaires title? During the
Bierbaum era, it was the title with the younger version of the
Legion. Post-ZH, they simply de-aged the main legion, didn't they? I
stopped reading after the Bierbaums left.

Dan McEwen

Apr 9, 2008, 12:14:44 PM4/9/08

> After ZH, what was the point of the Legionnaires title? During the
> Bierbaum era, it was the title with the younger version of the
> Legion. Post-ZH, they simply de-aged the main legion, didn't they? I
> stopped reading after the Bierbaums left.

The point was to have 2 books featuring the Legion in publication. On
top of that, the Legion was also featured in the various Showcase minis
for at least a year.

Duggy

Apr 10, 2008, 10:04:34 AM4/10/08
On Apr 10, 12:05 am, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>

wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2:44 am, Duggy <Paul.Dug...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 7, 6:55 am, "lionelhu...@yahoo.com" <lionelhu...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Would you care to share or provide a link?
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh/browse_thread/t...
>
> > OK, not all. All that existed at the time. And Earth-14.
>
> > Ignore any spelling/gramma errors.
> Which one was the one most recently created by Waid and Kitson?

New Earth - the Current Legion.

===
= DUG.
===

grinningdemon

Apr 12, 2008, 4:59:02 AM4/12/08
On 8 Apr 2008 20:25:58 GMT, Dan McEwen <ferroS...@gmail.com> wrote:

>grinningdemon <grinni...@austin.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 05:52:13 -0500, Tim Turnip <timt...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>>McCraw stayed on through to help Waid with the start of the reboot
>>>period (1994-2000). Tom Peyer co-wrote the concurrent "Legionnaires"
>>>title, so you're correct about that part. When Waid left the Legion,
>>>Peyer moved over to the main LSH title and was replaced on
>>>Legionnaires by Roger Stern. Abnett/Lanning came on to restart the
>>>book through its period of being just "The Legion" (2000-2004) which
>>>was wrapped up with a brief run by Gail Simone.
>>
>> Simone only did one story arc so I don't really count
>> her...personally, if I had to choose, I'd have much rather seen her
>> continue that series than Waid reboot it again.
>
>Really? I like Simone's work but I didn't care at all for her arc.

I thought the arc was decent...not her best work but I would expect
her to get better.

>>>Then of course the more recent "threeboot" period was begun by Mark
>>>Waid and Barry Kitson, making Waid the only writer (except for, as of
>>>now, Jim Shooter) to regularly write more than one version of the
>>>Legion.
>>
>> Right...and it bugs the hell out of me...why would the same writer
>> restart the same characters twice? It's ridiculous...and it's
>> basically admitting he thinks the first reboot was a bad (even though
>> it was better than the current series).
>
>You're assuming the reboot was Waid's decision. I think they probably
>asked him to do the reboot. Also, when Waid did the Reboot Legion, it
>was good. It just got bad as time went on.

Maybe they asked him to reboot the Legion the first time...but I'd bet
it was his call this time around...the Abnett/Lanning Legion was
popular and it had just ended...I really doubt it was an editorial
decision to wipe them out...and his post-ZH Legion was decent...which
means it certainly could have been again...no reboot was
necessary...they rarely are.

Howson

Apr 13, 2008, 7:51:56 AM4/13/08

"Duggy" <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> wrote in message

Difficult - I'd like to think I've matured over the years and that I've
still got stuff to achieve - so I can see potential conflicts with both
older and younger counterparts. I usually assume I know best, so we'd
inevitably p*ss each other off.

I'd expect my younger self to be more passionate about the stuff that I'm
jaded with - and to stand his ground in the face of my cynicism. He'd
probably be appalled that I no longer believe every argument is worth
winning. By the same token, although I'm fundamentally optimistic, the
2008 me couldn't fail to be disappointed with 2030 me. "Is that it? Is this
all there ever will be for us ?"

I'd tell my younger self to take care of his knees and to remember to phone
Mandy. He'd ignore both. I'd receive equally obscure advice from old-me,
and not appreciate its significance in time.

Duggy

Apr 13, 2008, 10:40:51 PM4/13/08
On Apr 10, 2:14 am, Dan McEwen <ferroSPAM...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The point was to have 2 books featuring the Legion in publication. On
> top of that, the Legion was also featured in the various Showcase minis
> for at least a year.

Honestly I think a better technique would have been, once the reboot
was established to make LSH the big team stories and Legionaires
smaller sub-teams and individual stories... but that's just me.

===
= DUG.
===

Duggy

Apr 13, 2008, 10:44:18 PM4/13/08
On Apr 13, 9:51 pm, "Howson" <no...@nospam.co.uk> wrote:
> Difficult - I'd like to think I've matured over the years and that I've
> still got stuff to achieve - so I can see potential conflicts with both
> older and younger counterparts.

Problem is it isn't just an older or a younger you but alternate
yous. A younger you who may have achieved more and matured already
and an older you who may have failed to achieve anything...

> I usually assume I know best, so we'd inevitably p*ss each other off.

I'm an arrogant fuck, so I'm sure I'd end up loudly disagreeing with

Duggy

Apr 13, 2008, 10:54:11 PM4/13/08
On Apr 12, 6:59 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2008 20:25:58 GMT, Dan McEwen <ferroSPAM...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >You're assuming the reboot was Waid's decision. I think they probably
> >asked him to do the reboot. Also, when Waid did the Reboot Legion, it
> >was good. It just got bad as time went on.
> Maybe they asked him to reboot the Legion the first time...but I'd bet
> it was his call this time around...the Abnett/Lanning Legion was
> popular and it had just ended...I really doubt it was an editorial
> decision to wipe them out...and his post-ZH Legion was decent...which
> means it certainly could have been again...no reboot was
> necessary...they rarely are.

The first reboot made sense. Zero Hour was a soft time related
reboot, and LSH had been damaged over time by retcons, reboots and the
fact that changes in the present mangle the future... it was an
obvious move.

The latest one shows more signs of indecision rather than decision.

If they planned a reboot when DnA left it would have made more sense
to let them end the series, rather than a tacked on ending by someone
else.

My thinking is that they planned a straight relaunch, and probably
hired Waid for that.

Somewhere in there Infinite Crisis was planned (what's the timing on
Identity Crisis & the relaunch?) and it was decided that a reboot was
in order, but instead of waiting for InfC they got the InfC involved
in tying the relaunch in to InfC.

So, I think it was an editorial decision, but one made on the fly
rather than being the plan the whole time.

===
= DUG.
===