Is this *our* Meg, in the NYT today ?

Paul Ilechko

Feb 21, 2006, 8:40:24 AM2/21/06

Jack Campin - bogus address

Feb 21, 2006, 10:48:23 AM2/21/06
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

If you're registered on the NYT site. Otherwise you can just fuck off.

Yes, I know there are ways round it, but I am NOT about to jump through
those hoops to read the odd article on a mediocre rag.

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975

Phyllis Chamberlain

Feb 21, 2006, 10:54:38 AM2/21/06
Regards Meg Worley: I was told she looked like the Campbell's Soup kid, so
this must be her. I'm interested to see she's at Pomona, which is in
Claremont (a small Southern California town), which is my habitat. I had
had the impression she stayed at Stanford after receiving her Ph.D., or
returned to Tennessee with Our Fido. I doubt I'll bug her with an email,
after reading the article, but if I see her in the purlieus I will
acknowledge her _Moby Dick_ expertise.

Phyllis Chamberlain

"Paul Ilechko" <noSPaM_pile...@patmedia.net> wrote in message
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Paul Ilechko

Feb 21, 2006, 11:05:40 AM2/21/06
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
>

> If you're registered on the NYT site. Otherwise you can just fuck off.
>
> Yes, I know there are ways round it, but I am NOT about to jump through
> those hoops to read the odd article on a mediocre rag.

Are we supposed to care?

Paul Ilechko

Feb 21, 2006, 11:06:44 AM2/21/06
Phyllis Chamberlain wrote:
> Regards Meg Worley: I was told she looked like the Campbell's Soup kid, so
> this must be her. I'm interested to see she's at Pomona, which is in
> Claremont (a small Southern California town), which is my habitat. I had
> had the impression she stayed at Stanford after receiving her Ph.D., or
> returned to Tennessee with Our Fido. I doubt I'll bug her with an email,
> after reading the article, but if I see her in the purlieus I will
> acknowledge her _Moby Dick_ expertise.

Meg once told me that she looked like a pixie, which I guess is close
enough ;-)

jadel

Feb 21, 2006, 11:07:37 AM2/21/06

Yep, an elderly Campbell's Soup kid, that's Meg.

J. Del Col ( donning full body asbestos armor, kevlar flak jacket, etc)

jadel

Feb 21, 2006, 11:32:20 AM2/21/06

. I had
> had the impression she stayed at Stanford after receiving her Ph.D., or
> returned to Tennessee with Our Fido. ...

Meg return to Tennessee with Fido? What are you suggesting?

J. Del Col

Phyllis Chamberlain

Feb 21, 2006, 11:56:52 AM2/21/06

"jadel" <delc...@mail.ab.edu> wrote in message
Francis told us Meg's mother lived near the part of Tennessee where he was
going. I believe ff is approaching ninety, but still used to meet tete a
tete with Meg in Palo Alto, as kindred spirits I presume. There has to be
some reason for departing the golden state apart from cashing out one's
million dollar abode. If his pals were dead or gone, I figure he was
looking for new adventures, being a daring sort, but it still astonishes me
that he would choose TENNESSEE.

Phyllis Chamberlain

*Anarcissie*

Feb 21, 2006, 12:24:02 PM2/21/06

Memphis is the spiritual heart of America.

Paul Ilechko

Feb 21, 2006, 12:41:59 PM2/21/06
*Anarcissie* wrote:

> Memphis is the spiritual heart of America.

Remind me never to go near the damn place, then.

*Anarcissie*

Feb 21, 2006, 1:10:34 PM2/21/06

Paul Ilechko wrote:
> Remind me never to go near the damn place, then.

You don't want to visit Sun Studio and stand on the very
linoleum tiles where Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl
Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Junior Parker, B.B. King, and
Howlin Wolf stood?

Paul Ilechko

Feb 21, 2006, 1:28:53 PM2/21/06

Not particularly, no.

Doubting Timus

Feb 21, 2006, 2:17:36 PM2/21/06
*Anarcissie* wrote:

> Memphis is the spiritual heart of America.

It's Mecca for us Snopes folk. If Beale Street could talk.

But...it can't.

Doubting Timus is woesong at yahoo.com
"Je suis le plus avide plus que je suis statique" - Rousseau

David Matthews

Feb 21, 2006, 2:20:34 PM2/21/06

> Yep, an elderly Campbell's Soup kid, that's Meg.
>
> J. Del Col ( donning full body asbestos armor, kevlar flak jacket, etc)

This is on of the few times where someone looks almost exactly as I'd
pictured them mentally.

Dave in Toronto

Doubting Timus

Feb 21, 2006, 2:20:39 PM2/21/06
*Anarcissie* wrote:

> You don't want to visit Sun Studio and stand on the very
> linoleum tiles where Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl
> Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Junior Parker, B.B. King, and
> Howlin Wolf stood?

I saw a similar inducement in a certain structure near the backside of
the OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ. "STAND WHERE THEY STOOD" was
everywhere, only the terms were changed a little for this building, it
being the urinal...

Meg Worley

Feb 21, 2006, 2:46:06 PM2/21/06

Jeff signs himself:

>J. Del Col ( donning full body asbestos armor, kevlar flak jacket, etc)

Hey, I'm the one who needs the protection, after the NYT misquoted
me so blatantly. I have gotten more than a hundred emails this
morning from strangers, most of them telling me I'm a pompous
bitch and the rest asking for a copy of the Rules On Student Email
that I supposedly have (but don't).

ObBook: *Day of the Locust*

Rage away,

meg

--

Meg Worley _._ m...@steam.stanford.edu _._ Comparatively Literate

Sam Culotta

Feb 21, 2006, 2:56:48 PM2/21/06

"Paul Ilechko" <noSPaM_pile...@patmedia.net> wrote in message
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Per Meg:
"One of the rules that I teach my students is, the less powerful person
always has to write back," Professor Worley said.

Interesting bit of cyber protocol, that.

S.

Sy Grass

Feb 21, 2006, 2:58:54 PM2/21/06

"David Matthews" <dmatt...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> This is on of the few times where someone looks almost exactly as I'd
> pictured them mentally.
>
> Dave in Toronto

And if you pictured her theologically, or which could mean prophetically,
you saw Friar Tuck.

"Rage on" . . .

Oh, almost forgot--Thank you, Professor Worley!
--
A Student
http://whosenose.blogspot.com

Dearly Beloved, "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I
suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be
in silence.."
- 1 Timothy 2:11-12

> Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
> http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
> Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <

jimc...@pacbell.net

Feb 21, 2006, 3:08:50 PM2/21/06
Paul Ilechko wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Heh. One time I went to see H. J. Orchard "Mr. Filter" in the
engineering grad school at UCLA to ask him about something I just
didn't get. He was English and had only been in the U.S. for a
few months. (I don't know if he's still living. He was
a young man during WWII.) Orchard was distinguished by being
the only tenured professor in the engineering school without
a doctorate, and probably one of the very few at UCLA.

I must have been frustrated because I jabbed at the
page in my textbook where I was stymied. He said, "My God,
man, you're attacking the book, and was so impressed that
he called in other faculty members and asked me to
repeat the gesture. That's about as close to levity
as students and faculty came in those days when
an informal seminar never broke for a pub crawl
with professors along.

By the way, it was a few doors down from his office
where the Internet was first implemented.

Paul Ilechko

Feb 21, 2006, 4:25:22 PM2/21/06
jimc...@pacbell.net wrote:

> By the way, it was a few doors down from his office
> where the Internet was first implemented.

Al was there too ?

tejas

Feb 21, 2006, 4:28:47 PM2/21/06

"Phyllis Chamberlain" <phc...@nospamverizon.net> wrote in message

It has seasons? Big lakes? It isn't Alabama?

Ted

tejas

Feb 21, 2006, 4:32:31 PM2/21/06

"Doubting Timus" <woe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> *Anarcissie* wrote:
>
> > You don't want to visit Sun Studio and stand on the very
> > linoleum tiles where Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl
> > Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Junior Parker, B.B. King, and
> > Howlin Wolf stood?
>
> I saw a similar inducement in a certain structure near the backside of
> the OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ. "STAND WHERE THEY STOOD" was
> everywhere, only the terms were changed a little for this building, it
> being the urinal...

McSorley's Pub in NYC does this, too.

& I think one can go to the Texas School Book Depository and stand where Lee
Harvey Oswald stood.

ObSong: LEE HARVEY WAS A FRIEND OF MINE by The Asylum Street Spankers.

Ted

Paul Ilechko

Feb 21, 2006, 4:35:17 PM2/21/06
tejas wrote:

>>that he would choose TENNESSEE.
>

> It has seasons? Big lakes? It isn't Alabama?

There are quite a few states that meet those criteria ... like New York,
for example ;-)

Sam Culotta

Feb 21, 2006, 5:32:21 PM2/21/06

"tejas" <tbsa...@infionline.net> wrote in message

> "Doubting Timus" <woe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> *Anarcissie* wrote:
>>
>> > You don't want to visit Sun Studio and stand on the very
>> > linoleum tiles where Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl
>> > Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Junior Parker, B.B. King, and
>> > Howlin Wolf stood?
>>
>> I saw a similar inducement in a certain structure near the backside of
>> the OK Corral in Tombstone, AZ. "STAND WHERE THEY STOOD" was
>> everywhere, only the terms were changed a little for this building, it
>> being the urinal...
>
> McSorley's Pub in NYC does this, too.

Ah, yes.

i was sitting in mcsorely's. outside it was New
York and beautifully snowing.

Do you suppose they have a plaque at the table where cummings sat ?

Sam

Don Tuite

Feb 21, 2006, 5:34:37 PM2/21/06

Consider that when Davy Crockett left Tenessee, he went to Texas!
Whata does THAT tell y ou?

Don

tejas

Feb 21, 2006, 6:36:23 PM2/21/06

"Don Tuite" <don_...@MAILNOTSAUSAGEhotlinks.com> wrote in message

Yeah, but then Texas was Mexico and thus, more exotic... like going to
Boystown in Reynosa, perhaps..

ObAuthorOfTexianGraphicNovels: Jack Jackson

Ted

Michael

Feb 21, 2006, 9:01:06 PM2/21/06
Meg wrote:

ObBook: *Day of the Locust*

*******************
Loved this book. I thought Miss Lonelyhearts was good,
too. That's all I've read of his. If I recall correctly,
he got a little avant-garde later on. Have you read Horace
McCoy's They Shoot Horses, Don't They? It's another
early dark Hollywood novel.

And congrats on the NYT thing! Way to go!

Michael

Lewis Mammel

Feb 21, 2006, 10:32:20 PM2/21/06

It may have to do with the waterfront real estate market.
They were advertising these properties on Chicago morning AM
radio maybe a year ago. So much so that I resorted to Google maps
to try and figure what they were talking about ... not
that I would ever spring for it!

Lew Mammel, Jr.

graham

Feb 22, 2006, 12:43:50 AM2/22/06

Meg Worley wrote:
> Hey, I'm the one who needs the protection, after the NYT misquoted
> me so blatantly.

So, what did you say? Is it worth a letter asking for a correction?
How did they get your name to interview?

Inquiring minds, etc...
graham

Kater Moggin

Feb 22, 2006, 3:15:25 AM2/22/06
Paul Ilechko <noSPaM_pile...@patmedia.net>:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/education/21professors.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

"The tone that they would take in e-mail was pretty
astounding," said Michael J. Kessler, an assistant
dean and a lecturer in theology at Georgetown
University. "'I need to know this and you need to
tell me right now,' with a familiarity that can
sometimes border on imperative."

"It's a real fine balance to accommodate what
they need and at the same time maintain a level of
legitimacy as an instructor and someone who is
institutionally authorized to make demands on
them, and not the other way round."

That's where e-mail is pernicious. If students don't come
to your office, then you can't force them to prostrate
themselves on the institutional carpeting. ObBook: _Beginner's
Guide to Oriental Rugs_, Linda Kline.

-- Moggin

Michael Zeleny

Feb 23, 2006, 4:32:42 AM2/23/06

Elsewhere Meg Worley wrote:
> Jeff signs himself:
>>J. Del Col ( donning full body asbestos armor, kevlar flak jacket, etc)
>

> Hey, I'm the one who needs the protection, after the NYT misquoted

> me so blatantly. I have gotten more than a hundred emails this
> morning from strangers, most of them telling me I'm a pompous
> bitch and the rest asking for a copy of the Rules On Student Email
> that I supposedly have (but don't).

Not to worry, Professor Worley. You are well on the way toward
mastering the gross points of suck-up protocol, notwithstanding
some shortcomings in nuance:

amat qui scribit, pedicatur qui legit,
qui auscultat prurit, pathicus est qui praeterit.
ursi me comedant et ego verpam qui lego.
- Corpus Inscriptionem Latinarum 4.2360

Who writes loves, who reads is reamed,
who listens itches, who walks by is a catcher.
May bears gobble me, and I who read, a boner.
-- translated by MZ

Michael Zel...@post.harvard.edu
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/

Pseu...@dontreply.bh.com

Mar 4, 2006, 9:56:46 AM3/4/06
Tue, 21 Feb 06 m...@steam.Stanford.EDU (Meg Worley) wrote:

>Jeff signs himself:
>>J. Del Col ( donning full body asbestos armor, kevlar flak jacket, etc)
>
>Hey, I'm the one who needs the protection, after the NYT misquoted
>me so blatantly. I have gotten more than a hundred emails this
>morning from strangers, most of them telling me I'm a pompous
>bitch and the rest asking for a copy of the Rules On Student Email
>that I supposedly have (but don't).

Kieran Healy:
"Assistant Professor of English Meg Worley’s rule that students must
thank her if they receive a response because “One of the rules that I

teach my students is, the less powerful person always has to write

back.” Very Foucauldian. Only not really. I think Erving Goffman makes
the observation somewhere that the capacity to be gracious is actually
an aspect of being powerful, not something that’s owed to the
powerful. In any event, I thought it seemed a little snotty. More: In
the comments thread to this post by Tim Burke, Meg says she was
misquoted, and the rules she says she talked to the reporter about are
in fact quite reasonable. Stupid NYT."
http://crookedtimber.org/2006/02/21/email-from-students/

*Anarcissie*

Mar 4, 2006, 10:49:02 AM3/4/06

In my experience, there is about a 50% chance at best that
anything in the _New York Times_ is correct, and the _Times_
is the summit of veracity; it's all downhill from there on out.

Michael Zeleny

Mar 4, 2006, 11:25:13 PM3/4/06

How does that compare to your experience of individual human veracity?

Michael Zel...@post.harvard.edu
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/

*Anarcissie*

Mar 5, 2006, 9:09:10 AM3/5/06

Michael Zeleny wrote:
> How does that compare to your experience of individual human veracity?

There is just one _New York Times_, but many individual humans,
and my estimates of their veracity are likely to be thrown off by lack
of a good sampling method for veracity testing. As individual humans
are not accorded the same attention and faith as the _Times_, it may
be that their individual veracities are not as important.