NewsRob 3.2.8 / 3.3.0

Mariano Kamp

Oct 23, 2009, 11:09:28 AM10/23/09
to NewsRob User Group
http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/prerelease/36891!show

Includes local search when you type.

I haven't been able to get global search running properly: link ;-(

From my point of view the performance is absolutely usable, but not fast. I started out using full text search capabilities of the underlying database, but for 1,000 articles that grew the size of the DB (in the phone memory) from 2.5 MB to 7.5 MB. So I implemented it with LIKE-% instead. Slower, but doesn't come with such a hefty penalty.
If it turns out that search is a killer feature, I may re-consider this and try to put the db on the SD card ... We'll see.

Let me know if you like it.

Pierre

Oct 23, 2009, 11:27:04 AM10/23/09
to NewsRob User Group
no download link ? oO

On Oct 23, 5:09 pm, Mariano Kamp <mariano.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/prerelease/36891!show<http://andappstore.com/AndroidApplications/prerelease/36891%21show>
>
> Includes local search when you type.
>
> I haven't been able to get global search running properly:
> link<http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/threa...>;-(

Mark Otway

Oct 23, 2009, 11:40:06 AM10/23/09
to new...@googlegroups.com

How do you prioritize enhancements? This doesn't seem like a useful feature, whereas I'm itching for "share with comment". Not complaining, just interested.

Mariano Kamp

Oct 23, 2009, 11:42:01 AM10/23/09
to newsrob
Sorry, I broke it ;(

Will take some more time ;-(

Mariano Kamp

Oct 23, 2009, 11:57:33 AM10/23/09
to newsrob
Share with comment would have been implemented long ago if it would just have a shred of sanity in the GR implementation. But it doesn't. Share with note will create a new article instead of being a change to the article you acted on. Also that one doesn't come down the stream of the reading-list that I sync with. So you wouldn't be able to unshare the article or change your comment.
Really hard to explain that story to the user in an obvious intuitive way.
All sharing features as well as the "Google Reader Mark All As Read" feature make the life of an GR API implementor pretty hard.
You wouldn't believe how complicated it is to sync the read-state with GR.
I am still happy that there is an API though, otherwise there would be no NewsRob.

Mostly I listen to what people want and what I believe would really help.
I don't do a feature if I can't see a sane implementation or a sane user story. Also when somebody writes in the comments "without feature x NR sucks" or "you would get the fifth star if you implement feature y", "just z and I would pay for NR" I am very likely pushing it down my prio list.
Some of the things I implement are just for the sake of the software, e.g. performance or maintainability. And some features are just for me. Well, the latter is a more theoretical thing. I always wanted to use ANTLR to implement a parser to parse the HTML files, instead of using the regexp I use today, but this would be a little bit more on the learning/fun side than the feature is absolutely needed side.

Two samples.
1) Searching has been asked for lots and lots of times.
2) I learned today that GR now provides content filtering/recommendations based on what you "like" and "share". So as there is now a feature that really uses "like" I will push it up on my list to enable it in NewsRob. It would have been higher already, if I knew a good way to visualize it, but with the recent events a treatment like "Un/-Share in Reader" needs to be enough.

Can we please not spent too much time on this conversation? It really doesn't help the software, but pulls me away from developing NR ...

;-)

Mark Otway

Oct 23, 2009, 12:17:09 PM10/23/09
to new...@googlegroups.com

That's cool, I wasn't intending a huge long thread, just interested (any new features are great)  and you didn't need to give as comprehensive answer as that. :-)

For the record I wouldn't mind the half-baked share-with-comment implementation you describe as I rarely unshare articles anyway. But I understand it would be perceived as shit by your users and cause unnecessary support volume, so I wouldn't bother until Google improve the API.