XBL2 Status?

StefanoC

Jun 2, 2009, 10:04:28 AM6/2/09
Hello!

I'm wondering what's the roadmap for XBL2 support in FF - and any
other browser, should you know.

in this post:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.xbl/browse_thread/thread/961d8439d828dba1

Jonas Sicking mentioned he should start working on a XBL2
implementation after getting FF 3.1 out. Now, 3.1 became 3.5 (right?)
and should be out soon, is XBL2 still next project to come for Jonas
or somebody else?

XBL2 specs are really nice and making XBL development so much nicer
that with XBL1; we are currently playing with the http://code.google.com/p/xbl/
JS library, but a not-native implementation cannot provide the same
performance (thinking about DOM changes and rebindings), nor a real
shadow tree.

thanks a lot for your feedback - and your work!

Stefano Crosta
Slice Factory

Arthur Barstow

Jun 2, 2009, 11:57:11 AM6/2/09
to ext StefanoC, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org, public-webapps

Stefano - since my February 9 call for implementation status
regarding XBL2:

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/
0361.html>

I have not received any new implementation information.

All - if you have some new information re XBL2 implementations,
please do share it with us.

-Regards, Art Barstow

> thanks a lot for your feedback - and your work!
>
> Stefano Crosta
> Slice Factory

StefanoC

Jun 4, 2009, 12:33:25 PM6/4/09

yes please do!

Does anybody know if implementing Ilinsky's library into an extension
would be complicated? Any hint, anybody tried?

> -Regards, Art Barstow
>
> > thanks a lot for your feedback - and your work!
>
> > Stefano Crosta
> > Slice Factory

Nickolay Ponomarev

Jun 11, 2009, 6:16:38 AM6/11/09
to dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM, StefanoC <stefano...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jonas Sicking mentioned he should start working on a XBL2
> implementation after getting FF 3.1 out. Now, 3.1 became 3.5 (right?)
> and should be out soon, is XBL2 still next project to come for Jonas
> or somebody else?

FWIW, https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2009-06-09#Content_Update has a
short note saying "Starting work on XBL2". So keeping fingers crossed!

Nickolay

Jonas Sicking

Jun 16, 2009, 5:10:02 PM6/16/09
to Arthur Barstow, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org, ext StefanoC, public-webapps
Hi Art,

Planning is in full speed for our XBL2 implementation. Development
will start shortly. First design docs are available here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/XBL2

(not sure if the docs will be very understandable for
non-gecko-developers. The target audience is XBL2 gecko implementors)

/ Jonas

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Arthur Barstow<art.b...@nokia.com> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:04 AM, ext StefanoC wrote:
>

> Stefano - since my February 9 call for implementation status regarding XBL2:
>
>  <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/0361.html>
>
> I have not received any new implementation information.
>
> All - if you have some new information re XBL2 implementations, please do
> share it with us.
>

> -Regards, Art Barstow

>> thanks a lot for your feedback - and your work!
>>
>> Stefano Crosta
>> Slice Factory

StefanoC

Jun 16, 2009, 5:45:26 PM6/16/09
wow, that's great news!!

On Jun 16, 11:10 pm, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Hi Art,
>
> Planning is in full speed for our XBL2 implementation. Development
> will start shortly. First design docs are available here:https://wiki.mozilla.org/XBL2
>
> (not sure if the docs will be very understandable for
> non-gecko-developers. The target audience is XBL2 gecko implementors)
>
> / Jonas
>

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Arthur Barstow<art.bars...@nokia.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:04 AM, ext StefanoC wrote:
>
> >> Hello!
>
> >> I'm wondering what's the roadmap for XBL2 support in FF - and any
> >> other browser, should you know.
>
> >> in this post:
>

> >>http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.xbl/browse_thread/thr...

> >> Jonas Sicking mentioned he should start working on a XBL2
> >> implementation after getting FF 3.1 out. Now, 3.1 became 3.5 (right?)
> >> and should be out soon, is XBL2 still next project to come for Jonas
> >> or somebody else?
>
> >> XBL2 specs are really nice and making XBL development so much nicer
> >> that with XBL1; we are currently playing with the
> >>http://code.google.com/p/xbl/
> >> JS library, but a not-native implementation cannot provide the same
> >> performance (thinking about DOM changes and rebindings), nor a real
> >> shadow tree.
>
> > Stefano - since my February 9 call for implementation status regarding XBL2:
>
> >  <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/0361.html>
>
> > I have not received any new implementation information.
>
> > All - if you have some new information re XBL2 implementations, please do
> > share it with us.
>
> > -Regards, Art Barstow
>
> >> thanks a lot for your feedback - and your work!
>
> >> Stefano Crosta
> >> Slice Factory

Arthur Barstow

Jun 16, 2009, 10:06:24 PM6/16/09
to ext Jonas Sicking, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org, ext StefanoC, public-webapps
On Jun 16, 2009, at 5:10 PM, ext Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Planning is in full speed for our XBL2 implementation. Development
> will start shortly. First design docs are available here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/XBL2
>
> (not sure if the docs will be very understandable for
> non-gecko-developers. The target audience is XBL2 gecko implementors)

That's excellent news Jonas!

I updated the XBL2 data in WebApps' PubStatus page [1] to reflect
this info.

-Regards, Art Barstow

[1] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/PubStatus#API_Specifications

Neil

Jun 17, 2009, 5:17:25 AM6/17/09
Jonas Sicking wrote:

>(The target audience is XBL2 gecko implementors)

Oh, so someone's helping you :-)

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Jonas Sicking

Jun 17, 2009, 1:38:19 PM6/17/09
Neil wrote:
> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
>> (The target audience is XBL2 gecko implementors)
>>
> Oh, so someone's helping you :-)

Eventually someone will have to yes :)

I'm probably going to do the initial steps myself, but I'll definitely
need a lot of help with the javascript parts, and probably the events
parts, and/or the CSS parts.

And for sure will need help with migrating our existing XBL bindings to
XBL2, as well as figure out some sort of compatibility story.

/ Jonas

Justin Dolske

Jun 17, 2009, 3:18:41 PM6/17/09
to Jonas Sicking
On 6/16/09 2:10 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Hi Art,
>
> Planning is in full speed for our XBL2 implementation. Development
> will start shortly. First design docs are available here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/XBL2

Somewhat random aside... Will XBL2 provide a better way to separate out
JS from the binding syntax?

I'd really like to have a way to write the JS in one place (preferably a
stand-alone .js file), and glue that JS implementation onto the binding.

EG, the XBL would simply be some XML markup to define bindings, methods,
and properties, and the JS would just be an object (implementing those
methods/properties).

Roughly:

bacon.xml:

<binding id="yumBacon" src="bacon.js">
<method name="foo"/>
<property name="bar"/>
<property name="baz"/>
</binding>

bacon.js:

function yumBacon() {}
yumBacon.prototype = {
foo : function() { return 1 },
get bar() : { return 2; },
baz : 3,
}

Justin

Boris Zbarsky

Jun 17, 2009, 5:44:51 PM6/17/09
Justin Dolske wrote:
> Somewhat random aside... Will XBL2 provide a better way to separate out
> JS from the binding syntax?

<implementation> no longer has child elements in XBL2 (unless your
scripting language has XML syntax). All the JS goes into a single block
either inside <implementation> or at the URI pointed to by its "src"
attribute. See
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xbl/xbl2.html#the-implementation for a
draft of what's being planned here.

-Boris

Justin Dolske

Jun 17, 2009, 6:14:11 PM6/17/09
On 6/17/09 2:44 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> <implementation> no longer has child elements in XBL2 (unless your
> scripting language has XML syntax). All the JS goes into a single block
> either inside <implementation> or at the URI pointed to by its "src"
> attribute.

Oh, excellent!

Justin

Neil

Jun 18, 2009, 5:46:31 AM6/18/09
Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> (unless your scripting language has XML syntax)

I've not heard of a scripting language with XML syntax, but I can
imagine writing a LISP-like language in XML :-)
<progn>
</progn>

Jonas Sicking

Jul 1, 2009, 1:06:01 AM7/1/09
Neil wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> (unless your scripting language has XML syntax)
>
> I've not heard of a scripting language with XML syntax, but I can
> imagine writing a LISP-like language in XML :-)
> <progn>
> </progn>

For what it's worth, XSLT is basically a scripting language with XML
syntax. It has <if> and <for-each>.

And I think XForms also has something script-like that uses XML syntax.

Doubt that any of those languages can be used here though.

/ Jonas