Unresponsive script

John Bird

Jul 6, 2009, 1:01:06 AM7/6/09
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Sometimes when Firefox is reloading lots of tabs a dialog appears

"A script on this page is not responding...."

I think this dialog is more of a nuisance than a help as:

1 - I only ever click Continue and it continues quite happily.

2 - It can sometimes completely stall the reloading of Firefox, eg just now
it was on the screen before Firefox showed as a one of the windows in the
Alt/Tab display (Vista), and before it showed on the taskbar. Because I
know that Windows has a habit of hiding modal windows behond others from
time to time (and always has - its a long time bug they have never got
fixed) I went looking for the dialog window and eventually found it.

I don't reckong the dialog needs to be there normally....it would confuse
many users when no Firefox window can be found - eg disable it when updating
or reloading?

Note I have also found that sometimes a UAC prompt also does not come to the
foreground, and achieves the same thing. Thats not for you to fix
fortunately.

John Bird

David McRitchie

Jul 6, 2009, 12:27:37 PM7/6/09
"John Bird" <johnkbird wrote...

> Sometimes when Firefox is reloading lots of tabs a dialog appears
>
> "A script on this page is not responding...."
>
> I think this dialog is more of a nuisance than a help as:
>
> 1 - I only ever click Continue and it continues quite happily.
>
> 2 - It can sometimes completely stall the reloading of Firefox, eg just now
> it was on the screen before Firefox showed as a one of the windows in the
> Alt/Tab display (Vista), and before it showed on the taskbar. Because I
> know that Windows has a habit of hiding modal windows behind others from
> time to time (and always has - its a long time bug they have never got
> fixed) I went looking for the dialog window and eventually found it.
>
> I don't reckong the dialog needs to be there normally....it would confuse
> many users when no Firefox window can be found - eg disable it when updating
> or reloading?
>
> Note I have also found that sometimes a UAC prompt also does not come to the
> foreground, and achieves the same thing. Thats not for you to fix
> fortunately. //John Bird

If it is particular pages, maybe you want to read them individually at
another time (the ones where loading never ends) rather than loading
them along with a bunch of tabs from a bookmarks folder.

If it is some pages giving you a problem, you might use "addblock plus"
to eliminate some ads which may be the cause.

How else would you know you have a problem with an extension. You can
set limit higher, or eliminate the message by setting to 0 (no time limit)
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Script_busy_or_stopped_responding
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dom.max_script_run_time

dom.max_script_run_time mine is set to 100 instead of 10

Surely you don't want to lose use of Firefox or have it become very
slow because of a few extensions.

Some extensions that gave me a problem on Firefox 2
Line Marker (.200607), Quick Sum (0.1), Translate (0.6.0.9), gTranslate (0.3.1).

You obviously have a problem or you would not be running into the message.

There will always be problems with extensions, this link will find similar
problems in the last three months (as_qdr=m3). Hopefully some threads
provide some solutions. Some solutions/bypasses may be incorrect , incomplete,
and there is even the possibility that the problem may have been fixed.
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_q=firefox+script+page+busy&num=50&as_qdr=m3

Guess I should have used not.responding instead of busy in the above

Google Groups no longer works properly so could not specify a newsgroup,
mozilla.support.firefox, but
did manage to get results out of the above search. But looking at the first
few results looks like these could do it or in combination with other extensions.
Fast Dial, Febe, Noscript, AutoAdd (use QuickAdd instead)
I know I've gotten Script errors a good number of times and have eliminated
or disabled extensions.

--
HTH,