CO: r-dub.us updates

Ryan

Mar 3, 2006, 4:36:40 AM3/3/06
I updated my various trips pages for your viewing pleasure.

First, the "New Camera Plains Tour" is up now. There's an END!, a old
wooden sign, and random other shenanigans.

http://r-dub.us/various/022306/index.html

Then, I decided I needed another roadtrip. Something about 70 degree
weather in late February/early March makes me not want to sit around the
house. I filled my memory card on my camera, so it'll be a while to process
all the pics. For now, here's a teaser page:

http://r-dub.us/various/022806/index.html
(check out all the sign goofs and the new MUTCD Reduced Speed sign I found!
:)

Hope you enjoy the pages!

_____
Ryan
http://r-dub.us
rsw#mindless(dot)com

"If everyone went commando, wedgies wouldn't be funny anymore"
_____

Steve

Mar 3, 2006, 10:45:42 AM3/3/06
Ryan wrote:

> Then, I decided I needed another roadtrip. Something about 70 degree
> weather in late February/early March makes me not want to sit around the
> house. I filled my memory card on my camera, so it'll be a while to process
> all the pics. For now, here's a teaser page:
>
> http://r-dub.us/various/022806/index.html
> (check out all the sign goofs and the new MUTCD Reduced Speed sign I found!
> :)

I thought the first sign was cool. Where is the second sign, though?
It looks very European - and thus better-done than any other circle sign.

--
Steve Alpert
MIT - B.S. (Eng.) '05, M.S. (Transp.) '06

Robert Cruickshank

Mar 3, 2006, 2:39:17 PM3/3/06
Ryan wrote:
> I updated my various trips pages for your viewing pleasure.
>
> First, the "New Camera Plains Tour" is up now. There's an END!, a old
> wooden sign, and random other shenanigans.
>
> http://r-dub.us/various/022306/index.html

I enjoyed the Broncos fan's bumper sticker - to which I'd say "yes, but
he made the whole night *black* - Go Raiders!"

Nice pictures of the roads, too. You did a good job assembling signs and
road shots to give us a good idea of what you saw on your trip. I've
always been fascinated by Colorado, so I enjoy your photos a great deal.

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive

Revive755

Mar 3, 2006, 6:46:34 PM3/3/06

I thought I-70 would have a speed limit of at least 70 most of the way
between Denver and Salina or some decent sized town in KS; I don't see
why it should be 65 near Limon offhand.

Those wide loads can be so much fun to encounter especially on a narrow
and curvey MO lettered route. They really should require some sort of
more official escort, epsecially since some of the leading escort cars
don't even have the white sheet with "Wide Load". Real fun to have a
guy in a random car going the opposite direction point to the right,
then come around a blind curve to find a truck with a manufactured home
taking up 7/8 of the road coming at you.

k_f...@lycos.com

Mar 3, 2006, 9:19:23 PM3/3/06
Ryan wrote:
> I updated my various trips pages for your viewing pleasure.
>
> First, the "New Camera Plains Tour" is up now. There's an END!, a old
> wooden sign, and random other shenanigans.
>
> http://r-dub.us/various/022306/index.html
>
> Then, I decided I needed another roadtrip. Something about 70 degree
> weather in late February/early March makes me not want to sit around the
> house. I filled my memory card on my camera, so it'll be a while to process
> all the pics. For now, here's a teaser page:
>
> http://r-dub.us/various/022806/index.html
> (check out all the sign goofs and the new MUTCD Reduced Speed sign I found!
> :)
>
> Hope you enjoy the pages!

I once rode out a blinding blizzard at the rest stop where the
abandoned road is located.

Ryan

Mar 3, 2006, 10:22:56 PM3/3/06
Steve <smal...@hackmit.edu> wrote in

> I thought the first sign was cool. Where is the second sign, though?
> It looks very European - and thus better-done than any other circle
> sign.

It's at the interchange of SH 7 and US 85 in Brighton, CO, which is about
20 minutes northeast of downtown Denver. While I agree that this sign is
part of the better roundabout implementations here, I wonder why the sign
techs didn't put up an 85 shield that was a little more obvious. When
you're trying your damndest to get through the intersection without getting
into a wreck, you really don't notice anything but the 85 numbers. Yeah, it
works, but is it right?

Ryan

Mar 3, 2006, 10:26:02 PM3/3/06
Robert Cruickshank <shan...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:z4ydnUsns8b4BpXZRVn-
g...@comcast.com:

> I enjoyed the Broncos fan's bumper sticker - to which I'd say "yes, but
> he made the whole night *black* - Go Raiders!"

Ahhh... you're one of "those" people... :) j/k

> Nice pictures of the roads, too. You did a good job assembling signs and
> road shots to give us a good idea of what you saw on your trip. I've
> always been fascinated by Colorado, so I enjoy your photos a great deal.

Thank you! I always appreciate any compliment. I'm trying to get as much of
the state covered as I can, especially since there really isn't that many
photologs of this state. There's so much more to see, trust me. And no
photograph can really show just how blue the sky can get out here. All you
western readers agree, right? :)

Ryan

Mar 3, 2006, 10:28:36 PM3/3/06
"Revive755" <buil...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I thought I-70 would have a speed limit of at least 70 most of the way
> between Denver and Salina or some decent sized town in KS; I don't see
> why it should be 65 near Limon offhand.

I-70 is 75 from just outside Denver to at least the next major town in
Kansas, with the exception of the Limon area. Too many trucks, I guess.

> Those wide loads can be so much fun to encounter especially on a
> narrow and curvey MO lettered route. They really should require some
> sort of more official escort, epsecially since some of the leading
> escort cars don't even have the white sheet with "Wide Load". Real
> fun to have a guy in a random car going the opposite direction point
> to the right, then come around a blind curve to find a truck with a
> manufactured home taking up 7/8 of the road coming at you.

The funny thing there is that was one of three different house moving
operations I encountered on the two trips. Don't know where everyone's
going, but they definitely aren't leaving it all behind...

Ryan

Mar 3, 2006, 10:36:30 PM3/3/06
"k_f...@lycos.com" <k_f...@lycos.com> wrote in

> I once rode out a blinding blizzard at the rest stop where the
> abandoned road is located.

The abandoned alignment of 86 I have a shot of on page 2? Not cool. That's
out in the middle of nowhere. I can say with authority that would not be my
idea of a good time. Glad you made it through ok!

Steve Riner

Mar 4, 2006, 6:14:08 PM3/4/06

Ryan wrote:
> "Revive755" <buil...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

> > I thought I-70 would have a speed limit of at least 70 most of the way
> > between Denver and Salina or some decent sized town in KS; I don't see
> > why it should be 65 near Limon offhand.
> >
> I-70 is 75 from just outside Denver to at least the next major town in
> Kansas, with the exception of the Limon area. Too many trucks, I guess.

Actually, I-70 goes to 70 mph at the Kansas line. It stays 70 in Kansas
all the way to Topeka. Going across Kansas, I appreciate the congruence
between the I-70/U.S. 40 route markers and the Speed Limit 70/Minimum
40 signs, often posted near each other.

Steve Riner
Pueblo West, CO

Explore Minnesota and New Mexico Highways
http://www.steve-riner.com/mnhighways/mnhome.htm
http://www.steve-riner.com/nmhighways/nmhome.htm