NEWS FLASH: Open LiDAR in Germany starting January 2017

Martin Isenburg

Oct 11, 2016, 2:57:03 PM10/11/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

we've been waiting for this moment for quite some time because restricting access to national LiDAR (*) simply makes nooooooo sense.

Today at INTERGEO in Hamburg I've found out that he German state of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) will go all out open data in January 2017. Including all of the elevation data such as raster DTM and DSM as well as the *raw* LiDAR point clouds for any kind of use as long as the source is acknowledged. This is an absolutely *AMAZING CHANGE* and a real *GAME CHANGER* for my native Germany that has traditionally been rather restrictive in giving the public access to their geospatial data.

Once the success of the open data policy of NRW comes evident we hope that this will have a ripple effect throughout Germany for other states to reconsider their restrictive data access policies as well ... (-:

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

Martin Isenburg

Oct 25, 2016, 10:47:27 AM10/25/16
to LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

even before the data has actually been released the upcoming open data of the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) is "liked" by many people and we can see that the "OpenNRW" policy will be celebrated as the "pioneer" of opening the raw geospatial data in Germany much like the "Environment Agency of England" has been lauded for their role in opening such data in the UK.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso