Trimble's proprietary LAS 2.0 files (created by Trident Analysis for Spatial Imaging)

Martin Isenburg

Feb 8, 2013, 6:13:11 AM2/8/13
to The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss specifications of the LAS format
Hello,

I keep on running into this issue. Several folks have reported issues
because LAStools is not being able to read their *.las files and ask
for help (an example for such an inquiry is shown below). It seems
that Trimble's Trident Analysis for Spatial Imaging creates LAS 2.0
files with a *.las file extension that are creating confusion, because
folks think these files are in the ASPRS-blessed LAS format. I wonder
if there is some kind of mechanism by which the ASPRS could ask
Trimble to slightly re-name their files. There is little point in
calling them LAS since they are essentially a proprietary format of
Trimble but conflict with the accepted ASPRS LAS standard to the
chagrin of many unsuspecting users ..

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

-----------------------

"Dear Martin.

I am trying to open a LAS file with the last version of LAStools when
I get the following message:

WARNING: unknown version 50.48 (should be 1.0 or 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 or
1.4)
WARNING: x scale factor is zero.
WARNING: y scale factor is zero.
WARNING: z scale factor is zero.
WARNING: only 6342 bytes until point block when trying to read 61248
bytes into header.vlrs[36195].data
WARNING: only 0 bytes until point block after reading 36196 of
21102592 vlrs. skipping remaining vlrs ...
ERROR: this file was compressed with an experimental version of laszip
ERROR: please contact 'martin....@rapidlasso.com' for assistance.
ERROR: cannot open lasreaderlas with file name '/home/fradelg/
Downloads/rauros-build/rauros.laz'
ERROR: cannot open lasreader

Could you help me? You can download the file from https://www.box.com/s/znf1i10go9ble25p8met
It is about 220 MB.

Thanks for your time!"

and later:

"Don't worry Martin.

After looking at you Google Group for LAStools I can confirm you that
the file is in Trimble LAS 2.0 (is it legal?) and the file can only be
exported to LAS 1.2 using its software Trident Analysis for Spatial
Imaging.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you very much for your
attention."

andre_...@trimble.com

Feb 11, 2013, 5:39:38 AM2/11/13
to las...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martin,

You are right, this is confusing. This was made at a time where a LAS 2.0 proposal was there, which has never been approved.
I will forward this matter to my colleagues who are responsible for Trident.

Stuart Mowbray

Feb 27, 2013, 3:22:15 AM2/27/13
to las...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Was there ever a response from the Trident guys regarding their use of LAS 2.0? At the very least, it seems to be somewhat confusing for people.

Thanks,
Stuart