disappearing ASPRS LAS format history

Martin Isenburg

Mar 27, 2014, 2:34:33 PM3/27/14
to The LAS room - a friendly place to discuss specifications of the LAS format, LAStools - efficient command line tools for LIDAR processing
Hello,

I think it would be good stewardship if the history, development process, and discussions over the ASPRS LAS format's creation would be preserved. I noticed that the oldest content on the yahoo forum that covers the period from 2004 - 2006 is no longer accessible. I was reading this until recently and the discussion threads were helpful sometimes to understand what certain design choices meant to accomplish. Anyone know what happened here? Can we have this re-enabled?

Way back when I had reported on some of the yahoo content

The continuation of this discussion can be found here:

Unfortunately the period from November 2011 until May 2012 (that fateful day that the USGS killed the bulletin board) is missing but last I heard was that the USGS is still working on making all the content available somehow someday. In mid 2011 - during the LAS 1.4 controversy - I created an alternate discussion forum the LAS format has also happened called "the LAS room".

Any chance we can have the 2004 - 2006 history of LAS back?

Martin @LAStools