Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Efren

no leída,
18 mar 2010, 3:32:55 p.m.18/3/2010
para jamiga2
Hello!

At last I joined the group, We can continue discussions and work
here :) Thanks for creating it!

So far I have downloaded the jAmiga source code and I've been able to
compile it directly from the command line. I haven't been able to
properly configue CubicIDE. I also tried to use CodeBench but no luck
there. Surely I'm doing something wrong.

I have some topics I would like to talk about, in no particular order:

1. Is jAmiga going to be AmigaOS 4.x exclusive? I wonder because the
source code contains #defines for AOS 3.x and MOS. I personally would
like it to be AmigaOS 4.x and MorpOS (no AmigaOS 3.x support), but I
have no experience developing for MorphOS and the work to support both
platforms would be too much, maybe with more developers it would be
possible. What do you think? One of the tasks could be clean the code
from all 3.x stuff it has.

2. How about writing some detailed guides to download jAmiga source,
setup the dev environment and building jAmiga? I think that could
attract more people to the project since it would be easy for them to
see something compiling and running with little effort.

3. What about OpenJDK? When jAmiga originally started, java was closed
source, now there is OpenJDK. I was reading about it and there is a
special "porters" mailing list to support efforts to port OpenJDK to
new platforms. I'm not sure it it would be possible because of all
dependencies and of course the huge amount of work that would be
needed. However, I think it would be worth to take a close look at it
and see what would be needed.

So those are the 3 main topics I have now for discussion... What do
you think?

Regards,
Efrén

Joakim Nordström

no leída,
19 mar 2010, 3:30:09 a.m.19/3/2010
para jam...@googlegroups.com
> At last I joined the group, We can continue discussions and work
> here :) Thanks for creating it!

Excellent!

> So far I have downloaded the jAmiga source code and I've been able to
> compile it directly from the command line. I haven't been able to
> properly configue CubicIDE. I also tried to use CodeBench but no luck
> there. Surely I'm doing something wrong.

As for Cubic, when it asks me too create a new etc-drawer, I generally
says "Yes". Other than that, I can only build the current Makefile for
the source I'm currently editing -- not the whole she-bang.

> I have some topics I would like to talk about, in no particular order:
>
> 1. Is jAmiga going to be AmigaOS 4.x exclusive? I wonder because the
> source code contains #defines for AOS 3.x and MOS. I personally would
> like it to be AmigaOS 4.x and MorpOS (no AmigaOS 3.x support), but I
> have no experience developing for MorphOS and the work to support both
> platforms would be too much, maybe with more developers it would be
> possible. What do you think? One of the tasks could be clean the code
> from all 3.x stuff it has.

Well, I thought of keeping OS3.x support mostly to be able to work in
it with WinUAE, and possibly getting AROS support. I'm in the same
position regarding MorphOS -- I wouldn't mind it, but I can't
contribute. The best would probably be to keep the three targets
(well, there seems to be Mac and *nix support aswell) as intact as
possible. My focus is however on OS4.

> 2. How about writing some detailed guides to download jAmiga source,
> setup the dev environment and building jAmiga? I think that could
> attract more people to the project since it would be easy for them to
> see something compiling and running with little effort.

Yes, that'd be great to have. Basically the best thing would be to
have an archive that's downloadable, and could be opened directly with
Cubic/Codebench and so on. So no one has to redo all the boring
project related stuff. It should compile and be runnable by a press of
a button.

> 3. What about OpenJDK? When jAmiga originally started, java was closed
> source, now there is OpenJDK. I was reading about it and there is a
> special "porters" mailing list to support efforts to port OpenJDK to
> new platforms. I'm not sure it it would be possible because of all
> dependencies and of course the huge amount of work that would be
> needed. However, I think it would be worth to take a close look at it
> and see what would be needed.

Yes, absolutely. And I think that could be done in parallel as we get
the jAmiga-VM more stable. The only thing about the GNU classpath is
that it works today with jAmiga, but OpenJDK would probably the way to
go. I initally had the idea of getting GNU CP v 0.98 (the current) to
work... but since that is Java 5, and Java 5 is offically "end of the
road" (or what Sun/Oracle calls it), perhaps OpenJDK and Java6/7would
be wiser.

/Joakim

Responder a todos
Responder al autor