Quieter RPGs

1 view

Zinger

Aug 20, 2006, 7:48:01 AM8/20/06
I'm curious as to whether there are some 'hidden' RPG's out there that
anyone could recommend. The first time I ever heard of the game Fate for
example was from reading something about it on this newsgroup. Now I know
Fate isn't an RPG in every sense of the word, but I enjoyed it alot. So that
got me thinking, what are some other quieter RPG's out there that haven't
been trumpeted as much as the mainstream stuff?

I have played the Spidersoft games (Exile, Avernum, etc) and personally I
was happier to leave those type of games in the past. Graphics and such
aren't important to me, but I have to admit that they do help a little, and
those games just didn't really cut it after a while.

So are there any other gems to be uncovered in the genre?

krag

Aug 20, 2006, 9:42:52 AM8/20/06

"Zinger" <stopspammin...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

world of warcraft

Gabriele Neukam

Aug 20, 2006, 11:38:39 AM8/20/06
On this special day, Zinger wrote:

> So are there any other gems to be uncovered in the genre?

http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_games/index.html (D2 clone, one of the
better ones)
http://www.evil-islands.com/eng/ (difficult till really hard)
The Gothics (if you can get used to the navigation system)
Wizards and Warriors (oldish, party, turn based otpion)
Wizardry 8

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spam...@t-online.de

--
Ah, Information. A property, too valuable these days, to give it away, just so, at no cost.

Troll

Aug 20, 2006, 12:46:42 PM8/20/06

Oh yes, that's a perfect example of a low profile game that the casual
RPG gamer might have missed. Did you even read the OP?

krag

Aug 20, 2006, 3:20:36 PM8/20/06

"Troll" <gnut...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

tell your mother I said hello

Peter Huebner

Aug 20, 2006, 5:10:19 PM8/20/06
In article <ec9i5d$1bc4$1...@otis.netspace.net.au>,
stopspammin...@netspace.net.au says...

> I'm curious as to whether there are some 'hidden' RPG's out there that
> anyone could recommend.

Have you heard of 'Sacred"? I downloaded the demo and been having a ball with
it for the last week. The full game, gold version, will hopefully arrive in the
mail today. It's been re-published by BigBytes as budget title so you should be
able to pick it up for a song. I paid the equivalent of around 6 USD plus
postage :)

"Divine Divinity" was discussed here quite a bit some time ago. Not a bad game.

Both these have certain rogue-like elements in a much-more-appealing package,
and both pack a hell of a lot more feeling of space, adventure, and being
unconstrained than Fate - however illusionary that may be.

cheers, -P.

chainbreaker

Aug 20, 2006, 6:02:21 PM8/20/06
Zinger wrote:

> So are there any other gems to be uncovered in the genre?

It's not strictly an RPG, more of an RPG/Strategy hybrid, and turn-based,
but Jagged Alliance 2 is worth a mention, even though it's been brought up
from time to time fairly regularly.

--
chainbreaker

Troll

Aug 20, 2006, 10:35:28 PM8/20/06

Yours has grounded you and taken away your bike, I take it?

Mike McCormick

Aug 21, 2006, 12:15:13 AM8/21/06

Zinger wrote:
> I'm curious as to whether there are some 'hidden' RPG's out there that
> anyone could recommend.

The "Thief" series is not technically a RPG, more of a First Person
Sneaker, but I was amazed by it when I found it. I also vote for the
Gothic series.

Mike

Zinger

Aug 21, 2006, 3:07:31 AM8/21/06

"Mike McCormick" <mcc...@indy.net> wrote in message

Thanks so far guys....I have played Gothic 2 and really enjoyed it, and I
thought Divine Divinity had alot of milage as well. Wiz 8 could be worth a
go, party-based RPG's are so rare nowadays.

Sacred just didn't do it for me...I have absolutely no idea why. I loved the
different classes, but there was just something that didn't resonate. I did
play the original Sacred though, and it seems that Sacred Plus or whatever
is a vast improvement, from what I've read anyway.

Thanks again.

Sleepy

Aug 21, 2006, 5:09:19 AM8/21/06

"Zinger" <stopspammin...@netspace.net.au> wrote in message

Arx Fatalis

crp...@yahoo.com

Aug 21, 2006, 9:51:27 AM8/21/06

> > So are there any other gems to be uncovered in the genre?

I'll give a vote for Might and Magic IX; as long as you grab the
fan-made patch from
Telp's site. The patch is at version 1.3a and you'll need the official
1.2 patch as well. If you decide to play this, be sure to make a backup
save before accepting promotion quests. I never had any trouble but
YMMV.

http://telp.org/mm9/index.html

Justisaur

Aug 21, 2006, 11:19:55 AM8/21/06

It's pretty well heard of here, but I hadn't heard of it anywhere else,
so I'll just mention Vampire - Bloodlines.

- Justisaur

Michael Vondung

Aug 21, 2006, 2:19:51 PM8/21/06
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:48:01 +1000, Zinger wrote:

> So are there any other gems to be uncovered in the genre?

If you like the more "hack & slash" approach, you might enjoy "Kult -
Heretic Kingdoms" from an East European developer. It has some rather
original and creative features (the two dimensions of the same world that
can travel seamlessly between, for example), a decent story, and pretty
addictive gameplay. It's not the type of game you'd play more than once or
twice, and you are stuck playing a female hero, but I had a good time with
it. Solid game.

http://www.kult.3dpeople.de/ (if the text appears in German, click the
union jack)

M.

Anestis

Aug 21, 2006, 3:22:31 PM8/21/06
Gabriele Neukam wrote [20.08.06]:

> http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_games/index.html (D2 clone, one of the
> better ones)

Gabriele, I find three games listed on that site. Which one to you
mean?

--
Anestis

"Make way, villainy! Hero coming through!" (Minsc)

Master Baiter

Aug 21, 2006, 10:28:29 PM8/21/06

"Zinger" <stopspammin...@netspace.net.au> 撰寫於郵件新聞:ec9i5d$1bc4$1...@otis.netspace.net.au...

Try Turn Off Your Speaker

A classic RPG.

Gabriele Neukam

Aug 22, 2006, 11:21:48 AM8/22/06
On this special day, Anestis wrote:

> Gabriele Neukam wrote [20.08.06]:
>
>> http://www.ascaron.com/gb/gb_games/index.html (D2 clone, one of the
>> better ones)
>
> Gabriele, I find three games listed on that site. Which one to you
> mean?

Sacred with its add-on Underworld.

The latter makes the game really good, and if you browse the respective
forum for viable builds, you might get a lot of entertainment out of
it - that is, if you like Diablo clones at all.

It is already two years old and Sacred 2 (supposed to be a PREquel) is
already in the making, but there will also be a final patch out
within, I guess, the next two months (crosses fingers)

The initial version was quite buggy, but it has improved a lot, and with
this game, you can even get Life Leech with *spells*

Anestis

Aug 23, 2006, 12:23:00 PM8/23/06
Gabriele Neukam wrote [22.08.06]:

> Sacred with its add-on Underworld.
>
> The latter makes the game really good, and if you browse the respective
> forum for viable builds, you might get a lot of entertainment out of
> it - that is, if you like Diablo clones at all.
>
> It is already two years old and Sacred 2 (supposed to be a PREquel) is
> already in the making, but there will also be a final patch out
> within, I guess, the next two months (crosses fingers)
>
> The initial version was quite buggy, but it has improved a lot, and with
> this game, you can even get Life Leech with *spells*

Ah! Thank you ;-) Sacred! Yes I tried to get 'Sacred Gold' from
Amazon.co.uk. But they cancelled my order ('out of stock'). ;-/ Don't
dare to try a purchase from US because of the different DVD format
NTSC. Suppose a 'Sacred Plus' and the add-on will do, too. You ARE a
D2cloner yourself, aren't you? Remember you recommended Nox in a

Damn! How do you folks get the time to play all these games??!!!??

--
Anestis (most enviously)

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better." (Beckett)

Gabriele Neukam

Aug 23, 2006, 12:55:51 PM8/23/06
On this special day, Anestis wrote:

> Remember you recommended Nox in a

I won't any more; it is one of those games in which you have to reload a
dozen times or be clairvoyant, as the view angle effect hides the
enemies, but they either can see you already, or react within a
millisecond. I gave up when I entered an area with ranged mages in a big
room, and no way to hide from them.

Joe Mama

Aug 24, 2006, 3:03:00 AM8/24/06
Anestis wrote:

> Amazon.co.uk. But they cancelled my order ('out of stock'). ;-/ Don't
> dare to try a purchase from US because of the different DVD format
> NTSC.

PAL and NTSC are words and formats that are applied to DVD for
convenience, and because of historical convention. There is nothing
fundamental about a DVD which makes it either PAL or NTSC.

Nostromo

Aug 20, 2006, 4:47:57 PM8/20/06
Thus spake "krag" <nos...@hotmail.com>, Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:20:36 +0100,
Anno Domini:

>> > world of warcraft
>> >

>> Oh yes, that's a perfect example of a low profile game that the casual
>> RPG gamer might have missed. Did you even read the OP?
>
>tell your mother I said hello

He already told your father. So, you two like troll-dee & troll-dummer?

--
Nostromo