Games Like Nolf/Halflife/Deus Ex/SS2: What are the better ones?

Silverlock

Jan 11, 2001, 8:22:14 PM1/11/01
Played and enjoyed all 4 of the above. Anyone know any similar titles
that have the same style or gameplay. I had Project IGI recommended to
me how does it compare? Any other suggestions.
--
Silverlock, ICQ 474725,

Household Pests? The SW-404 'SpitFire' APRL cleansing system
will remove them, we Guarantee IT! Not responsible for damage
to persons or structures from use of this product.
Dial 1-800-FRY-THEM for info and a home demonstration.

Lucian Wischik

Jan 11, 2001, 9:43:29 PM1/11/01
Silverlock <cro...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Played and enjoyed all 4 of the above. Anyone know any similar titles
>that have the same style or gameplay. I had Project IGI recommended to
>me how does it compare? Any other suggestions.

Thief Gold, and Thief2.

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. www.wischik.com/lu

Dan Stephenson

Jan 12, 2001, 1:13:42 AM1/12/01
Silverlock wrote:

> Played and enjoyed all 4 of the above. Anyone know any similar titles
> that have the same style or gameplay. I had Project IGI recommended to
> me how does it compare? Any other suggestions.

Get Thief Gold and Thief 2. They are fantastic. Check out their reviews
at gamecenter.com.

Does anyone know the sales numbers on these games?

--
program signature
write(6,*) 'Dan Stephenson'

comstar

Jan 12, 2001, 5:28:48 AM1/12/01

Dan Stephenson wrote:

> Silverlock wrote:
>
> > Played and enjoyed all 4 of the above. Anyone know any similar titles
> > that have the same style or gameplay. I had Project IGI recommended to
> > me how does it compare? Any other suggestions.
>
> Get Thief Gold and Thief 2. They are fantastic. Check out their reviews
> at gamecenter.com.
>
> Does anyone know the sales numbers on these games?

Only that Thief 2 was making money for LGS before they went under (and
that SS2 broke even, probably over now).

Desslock

Jan 12, 2001, 11:09:41 AM1/12/01
Thief 2 was a commercial bomb, in spite of being an excellent game. System
Shock 2 sold o.k. in 1999, and continued to do relatively well in 2000
(helped by awards, perhaps) although at a reduced price.

--
Desslock's RPG News: http://desslock.gamespot.com

"comstar" <com...@optushome.com.au> wrote in message

GuildBoss

Jan 12, 2001, 12:40:47 PM1/12/01
On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:22:14 GMT, Silverlock <cro...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Played and enjoyed all 4 of the above. Anyone know any similar titles
>that have the same style or gameplay. I had Project IGI recommended to
>me how does it compare? Any other suggestions.
>--
>Silverlock, ICQ 474725,

Thief Gold.

To Reply via email, replace *nospam* with *guildboss*
Paul H. Soares, Jr.
GuildBoss - Guild and Clan Management Utility for Win 9x/NT
http://www.guildboss.com

comstar

Jan 13, 2001, 8:00:52 AM1/13/01

Desslock wrote:

> Thief 2 was a commercial bomb, in spite of being an excellent game. System
> Shock 2 sold o.k. in 1999, and continued to do relatively well in 2000
> (helped by awards, perhaps) although at a reduced price.
>
> --

I may have them confused, but I'm sure that was not what someone from LGS
said afterwards in an interview.

who...@wherever.com

Jan 13, 2001, 10:16:08 AM1/13/01
Desslock <dess...@thiscomesoutsympatico.ca> wrote:
: Thief 2 was a commercial bomb, in spite of being an excellent game. System

: Shock 2 sold o.k. in 1999, and continued to do relatively well in 2000
: (helped by awards, perhaps) although at a reduced price.

Are you sure? I could swear LG people saying in their interviews that
Thief 2 was a mighty profitable game (though not a mega-hit like Diablo)
and SS2 also broke even and more. I'm very much under impression that it
wasn't the profitability of _LG's_ games that brought them down.

Kevin Grey

Jan 13, 2001, 12:08:28 PM1/13/01
<who...@wherever.com> wrote in message news:93prfo$bti$1...@kadri.ut.ee...
Yeah, all the reports when Looking Glass closed said that Thief 2 was
looking very profitable, but what had brought them down was mismanagement
that had occurred a few years back when they made that British Golf game and
Flight Unlimited 3. Even though they were making money on Thief and Thief
2, they were still in debt, so when the planned Eidos buyout fell through LG
didn't have any more cash on hand. I doubt that Ion Storm wouldn't be
making Thief 3 if the series wasn't profitable.

Kevin

Desslock

Jan 13, 2001, 8:34:04 PM1/13/01

O.k., taking another look at this -- In North America Thief 2 sold a
little over 50,000 units, for about $2,000,000. Not a commercial bomb,
as I indicated, but not a hit either (although I suppose success is
relative, given a company's expectation). SS2 sold only o.k. when it
was released in 99, which was disappointing given the game's critical
success, but continued to sell well in 2000, selling over 75,000 units
in North America (but netting less cash than Thief 2 in 2000, because of
a lower price point.

Including 99's figures, however, SS2 sold more than twice as many units
in North America than Thief 2.

Desslock

--
Desslock's RPG News: http://desslock.gamespot.com Latest Additions:
2000 Games/RPGs of the Year Awards; Editorial Week

Lucian Wischik

Jan 14, 2001, 6:19:12 AM1/14/01
Desslock <dess...@THISCOMESOUTsympatico.ca> wrote:
>Thief 2 was a commercial bomb, in spite of being an excellent game.

That's simply not true. Thief2 did very well financially. Along with
Thief2Gold, LGS would have made a large amount of money from the Thief2
effort.

who...@wherever.com

Jan 14, 2001, 7:51:06 AM1/14/01
Desslock <dess...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
: O.k., taking another look at this -- In North America Thief 2 sold a

: little over 50,000 units, for about $2,000,000. Not a commercial bomb,
: as I indicated, but not a hit either (although I suppose success is
: relative, given a company's expectation). SS2 sold only o.k. when it
: was released in 99, which was disappointing given the game's critical
: success, but continued to sell well in 2000, selling over 75,000 units
: in North America (but netting less cash than Thief 2 in 2000, because of
: a lower price point.

: Including 99's figures, however, SS2 sold more than twice as many units
: in North America than Thief 2.

Perhaps you've put too much emphasis on the phrase, "North America"?

Dan Stephenson

Jan 15, 2001, 12:37:24 PM1/15/01
Kevin Grey wrote:

> Yeah, all the reports when Looking Glass closed said that Thief 2 was
> looking very profitable, but what had brought them down was mismanagement
> that had occurred a few years back when they made that British Golf game
> and
> Flight Unlimited 3. Even though they were making money on Thief and Thief
> 2, they were still in debt, so when the planned Eidos buyout fell through
> LG
> didn't have any more cash on hand. I doubt that Ion Storm wouldn't be
> making Thief 3 if the series wasn't profitable.
>
> Kevin

Oh man, your last line just begs for an obvious conclusion.

Desslock

Jan 15, 2001, 3:54:37 PM1/15/01
I toned that statement down a bit and provided more detailed information in
a couple of other posts.

Desslock

--
Desslock's RPG News: http://desslock.gamespot.com

"Lucian Wischik" <ljw...@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

Desslock

Jan 15, 2001, 3:58:39 PM1/15/01
The only information most readily available is from PC Data. That said, I
don't recall Thief 2 doing particularly well on the German charts in 2000:
http://www.gzone.de/software/gfkcharts.cfm
or on the U.K. charts: http://www.elspa.com/. Thief 2 might have done
better if LG had remained around to promote the title and work on an
expansion pack, etc.

By the way - I'm not in any way trying to detract from the quality of the
game - excellent game, which should have done better commerically, in my
opinion.

Desslock

--
Desslock's RPG News: http://desslock.gamespot.com

Lucian Wischik

Jan 15, 2001, 4:36:19 PM1/15/01
Dan Stephenson <stephed...@airmail.net> wrote:
>Kevin Grey wrote:
>>I doubt that Ion Storm wouldn't [sic] be making Thief 3 if the series
>>wasn't profitable.

>Oh man, your last line just begs for an obvious conclusion.

How so? I don't understand.

Dan Stephenson

Jan 17, 2001, 1:58:08 PM1/17/01
Lucian Wischik wrote:

> Dan Stephenson <stephed...@airmail.net> wrote:
> >Kevin Grey wrote:
> >>I doubt that Ion Storm wouldn't [sic] be making Thief 3 if the series
> >>wasn't profitable.
> >Oh man, your last line just begs for an obvious conclusion.
>
> How so? I don't understand.

That if Ion Storm were profitable, they wouldn't be making Thief 3: Looking
Glass would have, after having been bought by Eidos.

The rumor is that because Eidos was bled by Ion Storm-Dallas they
couldn't/didn't buy Looking Glass when it was in trouble.