Attributes in a derived image (e.g. MPR)

Steve M. Robbins

Jan 18, 2006, 11:55:10 AM1/18/06
Howdy,

I'm looking for a guideline regarding creation of derived images,
e.g. a reformat, that will be sent back to the PACS. I could not find
anything in DICOM or IHE, but perhaps I missed something.

Basically, the question boils down to: which attributes should I copy
from the original series and which should I create anew.

There are some obvious ones: new series instance UID, new SOP instance
UIDs, image type, manufacturer info and all the image position and
orientation stuff that has changed.

I found an old posting here that listed a few more attributes:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dicom/tree/browse_frm/thread/9ce1edda141a067f/1a6ca9dd6dfaf942?rnum=1

I'm currently assuming that everything from the Patient, General
Study, Patient Study modules should be copied. It's the attributes in
the image modules that are unclear to me.

Things like acquisition number, date, and time. In David Clunie's
contribution to the thread above he says that acquisition date and
time should definitely remain the same. Ditto for acquisition number?

I presume it's standard to retain the modality and SOP Class from the
original. Then what should I do about all those Type 3 attributes
from, say the CT Image module; e.g. reconstruction diameter, distance
source to patient, gantry detector tilt, etc etc. Same with MR image
module: scanning sequence (Type 1!), echo time, etc.

Do people expect to see such attributes in the reconstruction or not?

Any guidance is appreciated,
-Steve