Qt 4 beta 5 WPI packages available

Christian Hennecke

Dec 14, 2009, 1:11:35 PM12/14/09
Silvan Scherrer and Dmitry Kumenov have released several WPI packages of
Qt 4 for OS/2 and eComStation for convenient installation and updating:

1. Qt 4 runtime libraries and plugins: This package is required if you
use Qt 4 based applications. Download from:

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/qt-lib-4_5_1-beta5.wpi

2. Qt 4 development libraries and tools: This is required if you want to
compile Qt 4 based applications yourself. Download from:

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/qt-dev-4_5_1-beta5.wpi

Requires the runtime libraries and plugins package.

3. Qt 4 demo and example applications which demonstrate the Qt 4
features. The demos are the ideal starting point if you want to learn
what Qt is about and what it can do, and the examples will show you how
all this works. Building is very easy. Download from:

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/qt-examples-src-4_5_1-beta5.wpi

Requires both the runtime libraries and plugins (1) and development
libraries and tools (2) package.

4. Full Qt 4 source code (ZIP): This is required to build the Qt library
yourself and recommended for developers. See:

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/qt-all-opensource-src-4_5_1-os2-beta5.zip

The Qt 4 for OS/2 and eComStation project relies on donations made by
the OS/2 and eComStation community. So far approx. 77% of the required
funds have been reached but more is needed to finish the project. Please
consider making a donation via:

http://www.mensys.com/NetlabsQT4

Qt is a cross-platform application development framework, which is
widely used as a widget toolkit for developing GUI programs.
Availability for OS/2 and eComStation both means that developers can
easily port existing Qt applications and create new ones more easily.

This already has been the case with Qt 3. Now that Qt 4 is widely used,
the netlabs.org Qt 4 project aims to make the latest version 4.5
available for OS/2 and eComStation. It currently is in beta stage and
applications start to become available.

For more information, see:

http://qt.netlabs.org/en/site/index.xml

Al Savage

Dec 15, 2009, 12:10:43 AM12/15/09
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:11:35 UTC, Christian Hennecke
<christian...@os2voice.org> wrote:

> Silvan Scherrer and Dmitry Kumenov have released several WPI packages of
> Qt 4 for OS/2 and eComStation for convenient installation and updating:
>
> 1. Qt 4 runtime libraries and plugins: This package is required if you
> use Qt 4 based applications. Download from:
>
> ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/qt-lib-4_5_1-beta5.wpi

When I run:
> [D:\warpin]warpin g:\ftp\os2\mplayer\qt-lib-4_5_1-beta5.wpi

I see this:
> ftp://asavage.dyndns.org/hosting/Xworkplace_01.png

"The following packages are required . . .
Ulrich Moller\XWorkplace\Kernel\0\9\9\0 "

Whatever that is . . . I don't have it, don't want it, and it's not
explained why I need it nor why it's required.

--
Regards,
Al S.

mentoruccio

Dec 15, 2009, 3:04:25 AM12/15/09
On 15 Dic, 06:10, "Al Savage" <asav...@iname.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:11:35 UTC, Christian Hennecke
>
> <christian.henne...@os2voice.org> wrote:
> > Silvan Scherrer and Dmitry Kumenov have released several WPI packages of
> > Qt 4 for OS/2 and eComStation for convenient installation and updating:
>
> > 1. Qt 4 runtime libraries and plugins: This package is required if you
> > use Qt 4 based applications. Download from:
>
> >ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/qt-lib-4_5_1-beta5.wpi
>
> When I run:
>
> >  [D:\warpin]warpin g:\ftp\os2\mplayer\qt-lib-4_5_1-beta5.wpi
>
> I see this:
>
> >ftp://asavage.dyndns.org/hosting/Xworkplace_01.png
>
> "The following packages are required . . .
> Ulrich Moller\XWorkplace\Kernel\0\9\9\0 "

Al,

from what I see, it seems that you don't have XWorkplace installed. Is
it so?

Mentore

Al Savage

Dec 17, 2009, 1:14:47 AM12/17/09
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:04:25 UTC, mentoruccio <mentore...@libero.it>
wrote:

> > >ftp://asavage.dyndns.org/hosting/Xworkplace_01.png

> from what I see, it seems that you don't have XWorkplace installed. Is
> it so?

Correct: XWorkplace is not installed. Is XWorkplace necessary to
obtain/install the QT4b5 package?

--
Regards,
Al S.

mentoruccio

Dec 19, 2009, 5:06:06 PM12/19/09
On 17 Dic, 07:14, "Al Savage" <asav...@iname.com> wrote:

> > from what I see, it seems that you don't have XWorkplace installed. Is
> > it so?
>
> Correct: XWorkplace is not installed.  Is XWorkplace necessary to
> obtain/install the QT4b5 package?

This I don't know. It seems so, anyway, seeing the error message
coming from WarpIN.

Maybe some QT4 specific is bound to WPS? I don't think so, but I don't
know the details of the OS/2 implementation.

Mentore

Dave Yeo

Dec 19, 2009, 8:37:03 PM12/19/09

Probably the Xcentre tray widget support.
Dave

Al Savage

Dec 29, 2009, 8:07:16 PM12/29/09
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 01:37:03 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably the Xcentre tray widget support.

But why require Xcentre anything to install the QT4b5 pkg?

--
Regards,
Al S.

Dave Yeo

Dec 29, 2009, 11:15:34 PM12/29/09

Perhaps being a beta the porter hasn't got to fancy on checking if the
DLL is present yet and only loading then? Or perhaps someone just made a
bad WPI thinking that everyone has Xcentre installed.
Dave

Dmitry Kuminov

Feb 7, 2010, 2:46:24 PM2/7/10
to Al Savage
Al Savage wrote:

> When I run:
>> [D:\warpin]warpin g:\ftp\os2\mplayer\qt-lib-4_5_1-beta5.wpi
>
> I see this:
>> ftp://asavage.dyndns.org/hosting/Xworkplace_01.png
>
> "The following packages are required . . .
> Ulrich Moller\XWorkplace\Kernel\0\9\9\0 "
>
> Whatever that is . . . I don't have it, don't want it, and it's not
> explained why I need it nor why it's required.

This is a WarpIn bug. I may actually try to overcome it using REXX... Though
it's really strange that you have WarpIn but don't have XWorkplace :)

--
dmik

Ruediger Ihle

Feb 8, 2010, 2:17:19 AM2/8/10
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:46:24 UTC, Dmitry Kuminov <dmik.against-s...@hugaida.com> wrote:
Hi dmik,

> This is a WarpIn bug. I may actually try to overcome it
> using REXX...

I pointed the WarpIn maintainer on that one and as I
understood him, he will fix it eventually. However,
nothing seems to have happend since then...

> Though it's really strange that you have WarpIn but
> don't have XWorkplace :)

Why is that strange ? I have several machines with such
a that setup.

--
Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
http://www.s-t.de

Paul Ratcliffe

Feb 8, 2010, 4:38:59 AM2/8/10
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:17:19 +0000 (UTC), Ruediger Ihle <NOSPAM...@S-t.De>
wrote:

>> This is a WarpIn bug. I may actually try to overcome it
>> using REXX...
>
> I pointed the WarpIn maintainer on that one and as I
> understood him, he will fix it eventually. However,
> nothing seems to have happend since then...

I know what's wrong, but I'm still thinking about how best to solve it
without screwing up something else. It's not as easy as you might think.

Dmitry Kuminov

Feb 8, 2010, 7:05:28 AM2/8/10
Ruediger Ihle wrote:

>> Though it's really strange that you have WarpIn but
>> don't have XWorkplace :)
>
> Why is that strange ? I have several machines with such
> a that setup.

Just kidding.

Dmitry Kuminov

Feb 8, 2010, 7:11:45 AM2/8/10
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

>>> This is a WarpIn bug. I may actually try to overcome it
>>> using REXX...
>> I pointed the WarpIn maintainer on that one and as I
>> understood him, he will fix it eventually. However,
>> nothing seems to have happend since then...
>
> I know what's wrong, but I'm still thinking about how best to solve it
> without screwing up something else. It's not as easy as you might think.

I see your concern. As long as WarpIn allows to select a package for
installation even if its prerequisites are not met, it's not clear what to use
as the value for the expanded prerequisite's installation path (which doesn't
exist).

I think that it would be more logical to forbid selecting such a package for
installation at all (and this is what many other installation frameworks do, at
least dpkg on Debian as well as rpm IIRC). Of course, a reference to the
installation path of a non-existing prerequisite may be used somewhere else, but
that doesn't make any practical sense so that I would simply expand it to an
empty string leaving the responsibility for the consequences of that to the WPI
creator... (and this case should be clearly stated in the documentation then, of
course).

Dmitry Kuminov

Feb 8, 2010, 10:18:15 AM2/8/10
Dmitry Kuminov wrote:

>> Whatever that is . . . I don't have it, don't want it, and it's not
>> explained why I need it nor why it's required.
>
> This is a WarpIn bug. I may actually try to overcome it using REXX...
> Though it's really strange that you have WarpIn but don't have
> XWorkplace :)

The fixed package is available as
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/4.5.1-ga/qt-lib-4_5_1-ga-noxwpdep.wpi

Please test and report back and I will replace the original package with it.

Al Savage

Feb 10, 2010, 9:12:35 AM2/10/10
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:18:15 UTC, Dmitry Kuminov
<dmik.against-s...@hugaida.com> wrote:

> The fixed package is available as
> ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/4.5.1-ga/qt-lib-4_5_1-ga-noxwpdep.wpi
>
> Please test and report back and I will replace the original package with it.

This package can be installed without having Xworkplace installed.

--
Regards,
Al S.