Quake/EGA

Rugxulo

Nov 17, 2009, 9:34:19 PM11/17/09
Okay, not sure how far along this Quake/EGA got. Honestly, I'm a bit
skeptical, thinking it might just be yet another halfway-finished
project. But it's cool nonetheless. At the very least, I mentioned
some history about Quake (hopefully correct, I wasn't there or
anything ...) and how to compile it. ;-)

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=22910

Rod Pemberton

Nov 19, 2009, 12:21:22 AM11/19/09
"Rugxulo" <rug...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You say there:

> ... but eventually wrote their own wimpy compiler.

Which compiler are you talking about?

Are you talking about the Q3VM compiler (aka Q3LCC or QVM compiler etc.)?
This was a version of LCC, from which both LCC-Win32 and Pelles C are also
derived.

Rod Pemberton
PS. I don't see "as.info", to whom you replied, in the thread... nor
whomever listed "redir -eo" etc. Deleted? Private? ???

Rugxulo

Nov 19, 2009, 3:15:29 PM11/19/09

On Nov 18, 11:21 pm, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...@nohavenot.cmm>
wrote:

> >http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=22910
>
> You say there:
>
> > ... but eventually wrote their own wimpy compiler.
>
> Which compiler are you talking about?
>
> Are you talking about the Q3VM compiler (aka Q3LCC or QVM compiler etc.)?
> This was a version of LCC, from which both LCC-Win32 and Pelles C are also
> derived.

No, I'm talking about QCC for mods.

See here for an imperfect link:

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/spec/quake-spec34/qc-mdl.htm

> Rod Pemberton
> PS.  I don't see "as.info", to whom you replied, in the thread... nor
> whomever listed "redir -eo" etc. Deleted? Private? ???

No, that's just me quoting from GAS' manual and my own cmdline
efforts, it's not referring to somebody else. :-)

Rod Pemberton

Nov 19, 2009, 7:57:36 PM11/19/09

> On Nov 18, 11:21 pm, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...@nohavenot.cmm>
> > >http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=22910
> >
> > You say there:
> >
> > > ... but eventually wrote their own wimpy compiler.
> >
> > Which compiler are you talking about?
> >
> > Are you talking about the Q3VM compiler (aka Q3LCC or QVM compiler
> > etc.)? This was a version of LCC, from which both LCC-Win32 and Pelles
> > C are also derived.
>
> No, I'm talking about QCC for mods.

That's interesting. I've been looking at interpreters and virtual machines
alot lately. It seems they developed used two different C compilers for
different Quakes. It looks like Quake C started out as a C subset and then
morphed into a custom object-oriented game language.

Quake C (qcc) for Q1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_C

LCC derivative (q3lcc) for QVM in Q3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena

Rod Pemberton

Rugxulo

Nov 21, 2009, 3:21:00 AM11/21/09

On Nov 19, 6:57 pm, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...@nohavenot.cmm> wrote:
> "Rugxulo" <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Nov 18, 11:21 pm, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...@nohavenot.cmm>
>
> > > You say there:

> > > Which compiler are you talking about?
>
> > > Are you talking about the Q3VM compiler (aka Q3LCC or QVM compiler
> > > etc.)?  This was a version of LCC, from which both LCC-Win32 and Pelles
> > > C are also derived.
>
> > No, I'm talking about QCC for mods.
>
> That's interesting.  I've been looking at interpreters and virtual machines
> alot lately.  It seems they developed used two different C compilers for
> different Quakes.  It looks like Quake C started out as a C subset and then
> morphed into a custom object-oriented game language.
>

> Quake C (qcc) for Q1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_C

> LCC derivative (q3lcc) for QVM in Q3http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_III_Arena

Here's some better Quake links that you (or somebody else) may find
useful:

http://www.team5150.com/~andrew/carmack/johnc_plan_1997.html
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/utils/quakec/
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2tk/allegro/mdlib045.zip
http://quest-ed.sourceforge.net/
http://www.inside3d.com/qip/home.shtml

Basically, those are 1). why id didn't target DOS for Quake II, 2).
some QCC derivatives (a few DJGPP compiles et al.), 3). a DJGPP lib
for .PAKs, 4). GUI editor (DJGPP compile et al.), 5). bugfixed DJGPP
port (et al.) circa 2002.

P.S. DOSEMU is slightly faster than DOSBox, but either way it seemed
to run good enough for me.

Rugxulo

Nov 21, 2009, 5:20:58 PM11/21/09

On Nov 21, 2:21 am, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's some better Quake links that you (or somebody else) may find
> useful:

I forgot to mention the maps' sources (not media data) also are GPL
now (as of 2006, thanks to John Romero). Unfortunately, the original
download URL doesn't work anymore, but I found a mirror:

http://www.quaddicted.com/tools/
http://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_map_source.zip (2.5 MB)

I'm not familiar with editing Quake maps, but it does mention Thred
and Qoole 99 probably work. (Their original map editor was NextStep-
based.)

> P.S. DOSEMU is slightly faster than DOSBox, but either way it seemed
> to run good enough for me.

Runs flawless under DOSEMU x86-64 too!

Rugxulo

Nov 24, 2009, 12:13:28 AM11/24/09

On Nov 21, 4:20 pm, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Here's some better Quake links that you (or somebody else) may find
> > useful:

Some more links:

http://sta.c64.org/dosprg.html
http://sta.c64.org/qpak.zip

That's QPAK.EXE w/ .PAS src, a Quake .PAK add/list/extract tool. It's
tiny, yet it offers more functionality than Quest's C version
(recdir.zip, only extract or list).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/home/12206.html

Lots of Quake info, e.g. FAQs, cheats, reviews, screenshots.

http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/
http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/download.html#dos_zip

Heretic and its sequel HeXen both used the Doom engine and were DOS-
based. However, HeXen II was apparently Win95 only despite using the
Quake engine. (AFAICT, Heretic 2 was a later 3rd-person-ish game and
used Quake II engine.) However, some people still update the (now GPL)
source ports and not too long ago added a DOS/DJGPP port!

http://www.raven-games.com/essential.php#hx2
ftp://pho...@server1.thefourwinds.net/raven-games/hexenworld/h2demo.exe

EDIT: Hmmm, the one on id's FTP is only 12 MB, and yet it seems to use
an older (smaller? buggier?) .PAK file.
EDIT #2: Seems that 12 MB is the earlier weaker demo (see FAQ "8.
Demos") with and older engine (0.42 instead of 1.11), only two
(instead of four) playable classes and one less level.

http://www.raven-games.com/hex2faq/

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/hexen2/
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/hexen2/H2Demo.exe

[ WinXP ] Mon 11/23/2009>unzip -qql raven\h2demo.exe *.pak
27750257 11-07-97 00:24 Install/Hexen2/data1/pak0.pak

[ WinXP ] Mon 11/23/2009>unzip -qql id\h2demo.exe *.pak
23537707 08-28-97 02:38 H2Demo/Install/Hexen2/data1/pak0.pak

Anyways, I tested it with the Raven demo data (h2demo.exe is just a
WinZip sfx file, 15 MB though!!) under DOSBox 0.73, and it seems to
run fine (audio sfx but no MIDI music). It also claims to support the
(DOS) CuteMouse wheel mouse API although I personally shun the mouse,
so I didn't test that.

http://cutemouse.sf.net