magnifier needed

Greg Russell

Oct 3, 2008, 2:00:40 PM10/3/08
Is there a useful display magnifier for Linux, please? I can easily
increase the font size in Firefox and do quite often, but there are some
graphic images in which the detail is just too small for these old eyes.

Ideally I'd like an application that starts up with a rectangle that can
be moved about the display with the mouse, magnifying everything under
it. A mouse click will iconify the magnifier until it is selected again
for usage. Things like mag. power, rectangle size, border etc. could be
options.
$ man -k magnif
gnome-mag (rpm) - GNOME Magnifier
xmag (1x) - magnify parts of the screen
zoom (6x) - wander around magnified desktop

xmag is too limited in scope as it only selects a fixed small portion of
the display to enlarge rather than moving about, and I can't find zoom
anywhere on the CentOS-5.2 system.

google01103

Oct 3, 2008, 2:21:38 PM10/3/08
Greg Russell wrote:

compiz has a very nice one
--
Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.1beta (factory repo), Opera 9.x weekly

Lew Pitcher

Oct 3, 2008, 2:29:47 PM10/3/08
On Oct 3, 2:00 pm, Greg Russell <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Is there a useful display magnifier for Linux, please? I can easily

Simple answer: Try
<ctrl><alt><numeric-keypad-plus>
to magnify and
<ctrl><alt><numeric-keypad-minus>
to shrink

More complicated answer: Your X server is usually set up to provide
multiple resolutions to your screen. Typically, it uses the highest
resolution, but it can be switched into "lower" resolutions with a
simple three-key action. The <ctrl><alt><numeric-keypad-plus> sequence
moves forward through the list of resolutions, ultimately returning
back to the original resolution after enough keypresses. The
<ctrl><alt><numeric-keypad-minus> sequence moves backward through the
list, again retuning back to the original resolution after enough
keypresses.

HTH
--
Lew

Allen Kistler

Oct 3, 2008, 2:29:58 PM10/3/08

You can set up X so that your display supports multiple resolutions.
When you switch to a lower resolution, the entire screen (viewport)
becomes the "magnifier," but the desktop stays the same size. (Chances
are that X is already set up that way.)

Ctrl-Alt-KPPlus and Ctrl-Alt-KPMinus step between resolutions. When
your mouse cursor bumps against the side of the viewport, it will move
the viewport.

David W. Hodgins

Oct 3, 2008, 2:13:49 PM10/3/08
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:00:40 -0400, Greg Russell <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Is there a useful display magnifier for Linux, please? I can easily
> increase the font size in Firefox and do quite often, but there are some
> graphic images in which the detail is just too small for these old eyes.

You may want to try the opera web browser. It allows you zoom in on a
web page, increasing the size of images as well as the text.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Dan Espen

Oct 3, 2008, 3:02:02 PM10/3/08
Greg Russell <m...@privacy.net> writes:

Does everything you describe:

http://kmag.sourceforge.net

Greg Russell

Oct 4, 2008, 1:14:29 PM10/4/08
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:02:02 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:

>> xmag is too limited in scope as it only selects a fixed small portion
>> of the display to enlarge rather than moving about, and I can't find
>> zoom anywhere on the CentOS-5.2 system.
>
> Does everything you describe: http://kmag.sourceforge.net

Thank you, I hope it will work with the Gnome desktop. But there are
problems with the ./configure:

checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 2.2.2) (headers and
libraries) not found. Please check your installation!

$ rpm -qa | grep "[Qq]t" | sort
avahi-qt3-0.6.16-1.el5
PyQt-3.16-4
qt-3.3.6-23.el5
qt-config-3.3.6-23.el5
qt-designer-3.3.6-23.el5
qt-devel-3.3.6-23.el5

So I don't know what the problem is.

Dan Espen

Oct 4, 2008, 2:14:43 PM10/4/08
Greg Russell <m...@privacy.net> writes:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:02:02 +0000, Dan Espen wrote:
>
>>> xmag is too limited in scope as it only selects a fixed small portion
>>> of the display to enlarge rather than moving about, and I can't find
>>> zoom anywhere on the CentOS-5.2 system.
>>
>> Does everything you describe: http://kmag.sourceforge.net
>
> Thank you, I hope it will work with the Gnome desktop. But there are
> problems with the ./configure:

My fault, I should have read that page more closely.

It's moved to the kdeaccessibility project.

I'm on Fedora 8, I just did:

yum install kdeaccessibility

and now "kmag" is back running on my system again.