Sendmail - Mailstats

Keith Woodworth

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99

Statistics from Thu Feb 25 03:14:37 1999
M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer
3 995 160559K 4264 112806K 5 0 local
5 3966 97419K 912 76995K 16 0 esmtp
T 4961 257978K 5176 189801K 21 0

Can someone enlighten me on mailstats?

From what I see on these is that 3966 messages came in from outside the
system but only totaled 97 megs? But 995 messages were from local users
but totaled 160 megs?

Or is it just the way the local delivery agent tallies messages/bytes up?
Should this be read as 3966 messages came from outside, but total bytes
delivered locally was 160 megs? That seems more like it.

any explanation? My sendmail book does not explain mailstats in any great
detail.

Thanks,
Keith
kwo...@citytel.net

Neil Rickert

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
Keith Woodworth <kwo...@citytel.net> writes:
>Statistics from Thu Feb 25 03:14:37 1999
> M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer
> 3 995 160559K 4264 112806K 5 0 local
> 5 3966 97419K 912 76995K 16 0 esmtp
> T 4961 257978K 5176 189801K 21 0

>Can someone enlighten me on mailstats?

>From what I see on these is that 3966 messages came in from outside the
>system but only totaled 97 megs? But 995 messages were from local users
>but totaled 160 megs?

That sounds right. Keep in mind that these statistics are not
completely reliable. Firstly, sendmail decides where the mail came
from based on the sender address, and this is not always a correct
indicator. Secondly, multiple sendmail processes could be updating
the statistics without any locking protocol on the file.

Keith Woodworth

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99

Then the local users must be sending out attachments to each other like
crazy, becase the to numbers are indicating that most mail is sent to
local users and very little is going to the outside world so to speak.

I guess the only reliabel way would be parse the maillog's daily and get
some real numbers right from there instead of looking at mailstats.

Thanks,
Keith

Ewald Beekman

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
We are running a mail-router on a SUN E250 with no local users and
still the count on local bytes_from is big:
Statistics from Thu Feb 25 00:00:00 1999

M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer
0 0 0K 1 1850K 0 0 prog
1 0 0K 1 2K 0 0 *file*
3 3168 177139K 0 0K 2 0 local
5 5622 179548K 9384 287286K 17 0 esmtp
T 8790 356687K 9386 289138K 19 0

Also messages which get rejected often still get counted by mailstats.
I would look at sm.logger.pl but that also counts rejected emails
i thought.

have fun, Ewald...

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:10:24 -0800, Keith Woodworth <kwo...@citytel.net> wrote:

>Thanks,
>Keith
>kwo...@citytel.net

Ewald H. Beekman, Network Engineer, Academic Medical Center,
dept. ADB/ICT Computer & Network Services, The Netherlands
E.H.B...@amc.uva.nl, phone +31 20 5667085, fax .. 5669020

Keith Woodworth

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
to bee...@amc.nl

On 1 Mar 1999, Ewald Beekman wrote:

>>We are running a mail-router on a SUN E250 with no local users and
>>still the count on local bytes_from is big:
>>Statistics from Thu Feb 25 00:00:00 1999
>> M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer
>> 0 0 0K 1 1850K 0 0 prog
>> 1 0 0K 1 2K 0 0 *file*
>> 3 3168 177139K 0 0K 2 0 local
>> 5 5622 179548K 9384 287286K 17 0 esmtp
>>=============================================================
>> T 8790 356687K 9386 289138K 19 0

Thanks for the note. I guess its just they way sendmail handles this sort
of thing. I was sort ofgoing to put a little perl thing together to do
some quick stats for me daily but I'll check the sm.logger.pl prgm you
mentioned.

Keith

Michael Salmon

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Keith Woodworth wrote:

> Statistics from Thu Feb 25 03:14:37 1999

> M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer
> 3 995 160559K 4264 112806K 5 0 local
> 5 3966 97419K 912 76995K 16 0 esmtp
> T 4961 257978K 5176 189801K 21 0
>
> Can someone enlighten me on mailstats?
>
> From what I see on these is that 3966 messages came in from outside the
> system but only totaled 97 megs? But 995 messages were from local users
> but totaled 160 megs?
>
> Or is it just the way the local delivery agent tallies messages/bytes up?
> Should this be read as 3966 messages came from outside, but total bytes
> delivered locally was 160 megs? That seems more like it.
>
> any explanation? My sendmail book does not explain mailstats in any great
> detail.

The from stats are a little misleading IMHO, sendmail doesn't really
have any notion of where messages came from, it is the mailer that would
have been used if a message was sent to the envelope from address.
I am a little surprised that you have more bytes_from than bytes_to, the
other way round I could understand because an incoming message can have
both local and esmtp recipients but you have 66MB at least that was not
delivered, maybe they were rejected messages.

/Michael
--
This space intentionally left non-blank.