graph library

fer

May 2, 2002, 7:33:59 AM5/2/02
Hello,

I am looking for a Java library able to display and edit graphs
(nodes and links).
I have been searhing the web and I haven't yet found any that matches
my requirements, which are:
- prererably open source or at least free binaries
- node and arc labeling, and ability to edit node's and arcs's
attributes
- posiblity of using different shapes for nodes, without having to
write them
myself.
- based on the model-view-controller schema
- simple view-model interface.

I am building and evolutionary approach for editing certain kind of
graphs (which model hypermedia systems), and I will probably have to
alter the way the views communicate with models, and the way Jgraphs
does it does not suit me (I will have to go too in-depth of a too
complex library). The node figures shipping with GEF only allow 4
connections per node, and I don't have the knowledge and the time for
writing new ones, and Arakhne does not allow displaying and editing
node and link attributes, as far as I know. Can anyone help me?. Thank
you.

Fernando Molina.

D A Vincent

May 2, 2002, 8:38:20 AM5/2/02
sp...@iespana.es (fer) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a Java library able to display and edit graphs
> (nodes and links).

Have a look at VGJ, Visualisation of Graphs for Java. It is a bit old
but it has some nice features.

<http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/graph_drawing/graph_drawing.html>

> I have been searhing the web and I haven't yet found any that matches
> my requirements, which are:
> - prererably open source or at least free binaries

yes (VGJ is open source)

> - node and arc labeling, and ability to edit node's and arcs's
> attributes

yes to all

> - posiblity of using different shapes for nodes, without having to
> write them
> myself.

yes

> - based on the model-view-controller schema

don't know

> - simple view-model interface.

don't know

Good luck.

d.

Remi Bastide

May 3, 2002, 10:25:49 AM5/3/02

fer

May 8, 2002, 3:25:16 AM5/8/02
Thanks to everybody. I have finaly chosen jgraph because it seems the
most mature and has all the visual facilites I want. I won't dig in
the view's
code trying to find all the communications with the model, but I will
use
a dummy GraphModel for that (not too nice, but I will make things a
lot
easier for me I I won't have to change the library). VGJ seemed nice,
but was not clearly model-view-controller and is dead for now, so I
would be the only one to fix bugs.