CSS and Safari - Help Please

jsp...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2005, 2:44:27 PM11/30/05
I cannot get my new css layout
(http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
in Safari. It's fine in IE/firefox/netscape but all messed up in
safari..

Can anyone offer some insight - I'd really appreciate it!

jsp...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2005, 3:02:26 PM11/30/05
I cannot get my new css layout
(http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
in Safari. It's fine in opera/IE/firefox/netscape but all messed up in

Stephen Poley

Nov 30, 2005, 3:32:33 PM11/30/05
On 30 Nov 2005 12:02:26 -0800, "jsp...@gmail.com" <jsp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Doesn't look brilliant in my copy of Opera either:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/misc/organique.jpg

I haven't waded through all the CSS, but your basic problem is that
you've tried to fix everything in pixels. The effects of this are:

a) a silly waste of space on screens like mine;
b) absurdly small text on screens like mine (in reality it is only
marginally easier to read than in this screenshot)
c) layout problems the moment a browser does something one pixel
different to what you expect.

Things like div { font-size:11px; } are a complete no-no.

Try these and see if they help:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/flexdesign.html

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/fontsize.html

--
Stephen Poley

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/

jsp...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2005, 3:55:14 PM11/30/05
Thanks for your time and effort Stephen.

As a CSS rookie I'm not even sure how to resize certain elements
without using "px" - I do understand the font sizing issue and was
going to work with that (possibly using em and % so that IE users could
resize if need be) but what I *really* don't understand is why (as
shown in your screenshot) the table containing the cycling photo and
text is dropping so far down (I assume because the .mainbox is sized at
595 px?) and the table is wider?

How do elements such as .mainbox and .dateheader get sized if it's not
indicated in the stylesheet?

I'm reading your very informative web pages and again thank you for
taking the time to respond...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Nov 30, 2005, 4:09:42 PM11/30/05
jsp...@gmail.com wrote:

> I cannot get my new css layout

Multi-posted to alt.html (and others). See there for answers.

-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Nov 30, 2005, 4:09:58 PM11/30/05
jsp...@gmail.com wrote:

> I cannot get my new css layout

Multi-posted to alt.html (and others). See there for answers.

Stephen Poley

Dec 1, 2005, 3:03:01 AM12/1/05
On 30 Nov 2005 12:55:14 -0800, "jsp...@gmail.com" <jsp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for your time and effort Stephen.
>
>As a CSS rookie I'm not even sure how to resize certain elements
>without using "px"

If the elements are to contain text, em is the unit to use, or size them
as a percentage of the parent element. But in many cases the best way is
just to leave sizing to the browser. Max-width is often useful, though
you need to find a hack for inferior browsers like IE.

> - I do understand the font sizing issue and was
>going to work with that (possibly using em and % so that IE users could
>resize if need be) but what I *really* don't understand is why (as
>shown in your screenshot) the table containing the cycling photo and
>text is dropping so far down (I assume because the .mainbox is sized at
>595 px?) and the table is wider?

Don't have to time to investigate in detail just now (maybe tomorrow)
but yes, something is too big to fit in the 595 px that you've allowed.

--
Stephen Poley

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/