Jaws Special Edition

1 view

MPinkepank

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
My video distributor has has the Jaws SE listed for a mid Nov. release.
The retail price is $149.99. This seems like an awfully high price for
one movie and I was wondering what kind of extras are on this disc. To me
this disc was one of those special editions "that was in the works" and
takes years (if ever) to come out. Any info would be helpful.

Mike

Adam Richardson

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
In article <ljpetersD...@netcom.com>
ljpe...@netcom.com (Lyle J. Petersen) writes:

> To my knowledge this is the highest price ever asked for a single-title
> disc released domestically. What pisses me off is that there is no excuse
> for this price.

I believe the JFK boxed set also listed at $149.99.

The outrage here was that there were VERY few "extras" -- 17 minutes added to
the cut, and a "JFK:Conspiracy" documentary. Period. No commentary,
storyboards, 'making of', script, interviews. Not even the theatrical trailer!
And you had no indication at all from the box of what made the "special
edition" so dang special. Good thing there are informative laserdisc guides
out there...

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ a d a m r i c h a r d s o n _/_/_/_/_/ aric...@cts.com _/_/_/
_/ p a c i f i c s c i e n c e a n d _/_/ 6 1 9 . 5 5 3 . 3 6 4 1 _/_/_/
_/ e n g i n e e r i n g g r o u p _/_/ f a x 5 5 3 . 3 6 5 0 _/_/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Blam1

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
Petersen) writes:

>To my knowledge this is the highest price ever asked for a single-title
>disc released domestically. What pisses me off is that there is no excuse

>for this price. MCA is releasing a film which they already have the
>rights to, meaning that they don't even have to pay a licensing fee like
>Criterion does. Unless this disc's supplements eclipse everything ever
>offered on disc before (and it will be tough to beat Lion King), then
>this is the greatest rip-off in laser history!

This disc box will include:

125 minute version of the film
2 hour documentary of the making of the film
Peter Benchley's novel
CD of the soundtrack (It might be gold, but I don't know)
Stereo John Williams recording sessions on Analog tracks
Newly filmed interviews with Spielberg, Dreyfuss, Scheider, Williams,
Benchley, etc...

All CAV (except maybe the documentary). This would indicate at least 4
discs. $149.95 isn't too much for that.

And 1941 will be coming out after this with the same treatments.

Blaine
Bl...@aol.com

Jeffrey Plummer & Lilliana Montero

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
>This disc box will include:
>
>125 minute version of the film
>2 hour documentary of the making of the film
>Peter Benchley's novel
>CD of the soundtrack (It might be gold, but I don't know)
>Stereo John Williams recording sessions on Analog tracks
>Newly filmed interviews with Spielberg, Dreyfuss, Scheider, Williams,
>Benchley, etc...
>
>All CAV (except maybe the documentary). This would indicate at least
4
>discs. $149.95 isn't too much for that.
>
>And 1941 will be coming out after this with the same treatments.
>
>Blaine
>Bl...@aol.com

I can't wait to get my hands on this. I for one don't mind paying that
much for a great film & lots of extras. I just won't pay rent in
November.
Cheers .... Jeff
"Smile you son of a *#$5@" - Roy Scheider - Jaws

Z7

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
In <43727k$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> bl...@aol.com (Blam1) writes:

>>this is the greatest rip-off in laser history!

The JAWS disc box will include:

>125 minute version of the film
>2 hour documentary of the making of the film
>Peter Benchley's novel
>CD of the soundtrack (It might be gold, but I don't know)
>Stereo John Williams recording sessions on Analog tracks
>Newly filmed interviews with Spielberg, Dreyfuss, Scheider, Williams,
>Benchley, etc...
>
>All CAV (except maybe the documentary). This would indicate at least
4
>discs. $149.95 isn't too much for that.
>
>And 1941 will be coming out after this with the same treatments.

A few words to MCA...JUST GIVE US REMASTERED CLV VERSIONS!!!!
PLEASE!!!!

Dan S Goldwasser

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
Excerpts from netnews.alt.video.laserdisc: 13-Sep-95 Re: Jaws Special
Edition by Bl...@aol.com
> This disc box will include:

> 125 minute version of the film
> 2 hour documentary of the making of the film
> Peter Benchley's novel
> CD of the soundtrack (It might be gold, but I don't know)
> Stereo John Williams recording sessions on Analog tracks
> Newly filmed interviews with Spielberg, Dreyfuss, Scheider, Williams,
> Benchley, etc...

No Trailers? What about a part that involves frame-by-frame text about
the production in nitty gritty detail? (a la "T2:SE"). Or Storyboards?
Anything??

> All CAV (except maybe the documentary). This would indicate at least 4
> discs. $149.95 isn't too much for that.

Alien CAV SE was 4 discs - and it was only $99.95......

Dan

Blam1

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
In article <439dt2$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, sst...@aol.com (Ssteve2)
writes:

>>125 minute version of the film
>>2 hour documentary of the making of the film
>>Peter Benchley's novel
>>CD of the soundtrack (It might be gold, but I don't know)
>>Stereo John Williams recording sessions on Analog tracks
>>Newly filmed interviews with Spielberg, Dreyfuss, Scheider, Williams,
>>Benchley, etc...
>>

>What exactly is the 125 minute version? Is this simply the same as the
>CLV letterboxed release?

There are 3 versions of this film. The original CAV and the 3 side CLV
DiscoVision versions are the theatrical running length of 125 minutes.
All 1 disc CLV versions released by MCA since the demise of DiscoVision
have been time-compressed to 120 minutes, but retain all the scenes. The
CLV/CAV LBX version available now has been recut by Spielberg. It is
uncompressed, but he has excised 3-4 minutes of footage and the current
run time is 121 minutes. It even states on the jacket that it is the Home
Video Version.

Appearantly, this new SE will be restoring the theatrical version to
LaserDisc for the first time since 1981 and the first time the original
version has been available in LBX.

Blaine
Bl...@aol.com

itn...@indyvax.iupui.edu

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95

> To my knowledge this is the highest price ever asked for a single-title
> disc released domestically. What pisses me off is that there is no excuse
> for this price.

I was under the assumption that the new Jaws release is going to be part of
the new signature collection and could possibly have original signatures
from Spielberg on them at a very limited pressing, which could explain the
price. Am I wrong about this?

-- M

Blam1

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
In article <439s1d$d...@atlantis.dis.anl.gov>, ch...@cygnus.dis.anl.gov
(Charles Cilek) writes:

>>The CLV/CAV LBX version available now has been recut by Spielberg. It
is
>>uncompressed, but he has excised 3-4 minutes of footage and the current
>>run time is 121 minutes. It even states on the jacket that it is the
>>Video Version.
>

>Does anyone know what was cut from the current LD? I know that some
>background music has been changed in one of the beach scenes, but
>I don't recall any scenes missing.

I've been meaning to sit down and compare the current LBX version to the 5
sided CAV DiscoVision. I'll try to get to it over the next couple of days
and let everyone know.

Blaine
Bl...@aol.com

Charles Cilek

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
[...]

--
WWW page under construction: http://nyx10.cs.du.edu:8001/~ccilek/home.html
"To our friend Howard, who gave a mermaid her voice

Ssteve2

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95

Lyle J. Petersen

Sep 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/15/95
itn...@indyvax.iupui.edu wrote:

:
: > To my knowledge this is the highest price ever asked for a single-title

: -- M

I think you are confusing MCA's "Signature Collection" line with Image's
"Signature Editions" line (which includes Boxing Helena and Phantasm).
The Image line has actual autographs. The MCA line does not.
--
"Where is it?" "I don't know." "It's gone!" "That's true." "It's lost!" "I
know." "Where could it be?" "Could be anywhere." "Maybe it'll come back."

Jayson Ca

Sep 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/15/95
> However, other than some music changes, the only editing I was able to
>surmise is about 5 seconds out of the town council meeting, just prior to
>the introduction of Quint

I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is the end of reel 1 on the 35mm
prints.

SJW

Postman: "That's the house. Right on top of the stoop"
Hardy: "Steady Susie"

Jayson Ca

Sep 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/15/95
Will 1941 have the background music "Deap in the heart of Texas" , as the
aircrafts fly down Hollywood Blvd. put back into the film?

Also, will we get the extra TV scenes that show up on some prints? (ABC
and Disney)

Christopher Smith NT

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95

I saw this film in the theatre (JAWS) when it first came out. As I recall the
film was rated -R. I can remember only one scene that I've not seen since...

When Richard Drey. is examining the first body, the girl who was eaten, he says
"This is what happens..." This is what is in the PG version. This statement
makes no sense...its open ended.

I recall in the theatre version, that the doctor brings in the tin with the
remains of the girls body. The camera view is then from the ceiling where
Richard removes the covering cloth and you see parts of the breast, leg and
arm. Richard then says "This is what happens in a shark attack" And he picks
up the arm and you saw a bit more.

I have yet to see this since.

christopher smith

Blam1

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
In article <43kc32$e...@nrtphba6.bnr.ca>, css...@bnr.ca (Christopher Smith
NT) writes:

JAWS was never R-rated. Steven Spielberg was VERY careful not to include
anything that would get an R-rating. Specificaly the scene at the
beginning where the nude swimmer gets eaten...the stunt person shooting
this was actually nude and Spielberg was very bothered by seeing too much
of her body in the dailies. Read the current issue of PREMIERE. There's
a great article on the making of Jaws, 20 years later.

Blaine
Bl...@aol.com

Steven3663

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
I saw this film 30 times when it first came out (I didn't have much of a
life at 13) and I do not remeber ANY of what you just described. There
was no breast, etc.. The only body part shown was the hand, the same hand
found at the beach. Also the film was NEVER rated R. It was a PG film
with the label of "Warning: May be too intense for younger audiences" in a
sqaure at the bottom of the poster. It was the first film to receive this
warning.
"Operator, operator, quick give me the number for 911"--Homer Simpson.

cdu...@scott.net

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
> css...@bnr.ca (Christopher Smith NT) writes:
>
> I saw this film in the theatre (JAWS) when it first came out. As I recall the
> film was rated -R. I can remember only one scene that I've not seen since...
>
> When Richard Drey. is examining the first body, the girl who was eaten, he says
> "This is what happens..." This is what is in the PG version. This statement
> makes no sense...its open ended.
>
> I recall in the theatre version, that the doctor brings in the tin with the
> remains of the girls body. The camera view is then from the ceiling where
> Richard removes the covering cloth and you see parts of the breast, leg and
> arm. Richard then says "This is what happens in a shark attack" And he picks
> up the arm and you saw a bit more.
>

> I have yet to see this since.
>
> christopher smith

This picture was released PG. I have all press materials and 1-sheets for this picture. They all carry the PG
rating. I have never seen this R version you speak of. All "Jaws" pictures were rated "PG" except the
last one which was rated "PG-13".

Duggerman

Cableditor

Sep 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/20/95
Re: the JAWS rating.
As has been said the film was rated PG when it came out.
I remember a big stink because ROLLERBALL came out that same year and was
given an R. Its producers contended their film should get a PG too since
it was no more violent than JAWS, but the MPAA chose otherwise.

>> I recall in the theatre version, that the doctor brings in the tin
with the
>> remains of the girls body.

A friend of mine is also positive he's seen this scene somewhere sometime.

Lazlo Nibble

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
jno...@Violet.CCIT.Arizona.EDU writes:

> (Spielberg's aversion to the R rating [at least until Schindler's List]
> is well known.. and I think he's the only man to actually win a rating a
> appeal -- this being on the Speiberg-produced Poltergeist)

Seveal recent releases have been re-rated with no cuts, including Clerks
-- downrated from NC-17 (for language!) to R after an appeal -- and the
rerelease of The Wild Bunch -- again, downrated from NC-17 (for violence)
to R, after the studio demonstrated that the exact same cut of the film
got an R on its original release in the late 1960s.

--
::: Lazlo (la...@swcp.com; http://www.swcp.com/lazlo)

Wavey Davey

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
In article <43o88j$8...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, cable...@aol.com says...
I think the reason the MPAA saw Rollerball as being a more violent
film than Jaws is because the difference between them is quite clear. In
Rollerball, the violence is inflicted from one person to another. In
Jaws, obviously, the protagonist is the shark. Nature etc.

I know that the BBFC took this into consideration with the fight scenes
between the T-1000 and the T-800 in T2...they said that they looked at it
very closely and yes, it is violent, but you have to remember that in
context it is two _machines_ fighting each other.

Wavey Davey.

Cableditor

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95
>>I think the reason the MPAA saw Rollerball as being a more violent
>>film than Jaws is because the difference between them is quite clear. In
>>Rollerball, the violence is inflicted from one person to another. In
>>Jaws, obviously, the protagonist is the shark. Nature etc.

You're right. And at the time, this is the rationale that was used.