buy or rent?

Jesse Malkin

Jan 6, 1995, 9:14:30 AM1/6/95

A subject I've never seen discussed on this board: Why is the Melrose
Place gang still renting? Certainly Billy and Allison make enough money to
buy their own home. In fact, if we assume Amanda charges $1,000 a month
(par for the course for nice apartments in L.A.), any Melrose Place
occupant could find himself or herself a nice condo for about the same
monthly price. Haven't these folks ever heard of the mortgage interest
deduction?

A related point: Now that Chris the Aussie is broke, we can safely assume
he is no longer paying Sydney's rent. It is hard to imagine Sydney could
swing the bill herself on her Shooters' salary. Since Jane is bankrupt, it
is only logical that the two sisters should move in together.

Cari Smithrud

Jan 9, 1995, 12:44:32 PM1/9/95
Jesse Malkin (jesse_...@rand.org) wrote:

: A subject I've never seen discussed on this board: Why is the Melrose
: Place gang still renting?

So the show doesn't have to jump around to even MORE locations?
Just an idea...

-- Cari

Nicholas Farrah

Jan 9, 1995, 8:36:33 PM1/9/95
Cari, you ever try to buy real estate in Southern California? Ad
copywriters, photographers, and new bar owners can't quite afford it.

--Nick

Cari Smithrud

Jan 11, 1995, 12:40:12 PM1/11/95
Nicholas Farrah (nfa...@netcom.com) wrote:

Perhaps they can't, but we're not talking about the RealWorld
when it comes to Melrose Place now, are we? I only offered a
suggestion on why the writers of the show might be keeping
most of them in one location. Certainly less sets to keep
switching to! I seriously doubt the costs of real estate
in Southern Cal have much to do with such an unrealistic show.
That would be breaking the record that the staff has for not
doing research on many other discrepancies people have pointed
out (fact vs fiction).

| o o | Cari Smithrud, smit...@lamar.colostate.edu |
| || | If you want to run with the big dogs, you |
| || _ _ | have to get off the porch. |
| /__o_\ |~''~| | Not burdened by the facts, I feel I can |
| (/_/_/_) [____] | speak freely. |