Frontend for MySQL

Mark Adams

Jun 19, 2004, 11:57:46 PM6/19/04
Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but Google isn't really
helping.

Is there a GUI frontend for MySQL under Mandrake+KDE that will allow me
to create forms for data input, reporting, etc. along the lines of MS
Access?

I seem to remember something about OpenOffice.org's wordprocessor
working like this, but I can't find a source or tutorial on it.

Any help?

Thanks.
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

Rocky's Lemma of Innovation Prevention:
Unless the results are known in advance, funding agencies will
reject the proposal.

=====================---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

David M. Carney

Jun 20, 2004, 12:35:24 AM6/20/04

http://www.knoda.org/ looks promising. Found it after a rather easy
search on freshmeat.net.

With Mandrake 10 (Official) urpmi knoda works.

David

--
Linux n1zhe.org 2.6.3-13mdk #1 Tue May 18 18:49:17 EDT 2004 i686
GNU/Linux

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 2:02:17 AM6/20/04
David M. Carney wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:57:46 -0600
> Mark Adams <mad...@netscape.dotnet> wrote:
>

>>Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but Google isn't really
>>helping.
>>
>>Is there a GUI frontend for MySQL under Mandrake+KDE that will allow
>>me to create forms for data input, reporting, etc. along the lines of
>>MS Access?
>>
>>I seem to remember something about OpenOffice.org's wordprocessor
>>working like this, but I can't find a source or tutorial on it.
>>
>>Any help?
>>
>>Thanks.
>

> http://www.knoda.org/ looks promising. Found it after a rather easy
> search on freshmeat.net.
>
> With Mandrake 10 (Official) urpmi knoda works.
>
> David

I'm still working with 9.2, might be until 10.1. I'm seeing that Knoda
*may* compile from source for 9.2.

Thanks anyway.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

Love sometimes expresses itself in sacrifice.
-- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3220.3

danyfranck

Jun 20, 2004, 3:56:57 AM6/20/04
Mark Adams wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but Google isn't really
> helping.
>
> Is there a GUI frontend for MySQL under Mandrake+KDE that will allow me
> to create forms for data input, reporting, etc. along the lines of MS
> Access?
>
> I seem to remember something about OpenOffice.org's wordprocessor
> working like this, but I can't find a source or tutorial on it.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks.

MysqlCC

Blinky the Shark

Jun 20, 2004, 5:50:45 AM6/20/04
Mark Adams wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but Google isn't really
> helping.

> Is there a GUI frontend for MySQL under Mandrake+KDE that will allow me
> to create forms for data input, reporting, etc. along the lines of MS
> Access?

All I've found (in English) is Rekall, from The Kompany. Google it.

I bought it. I've not really implemented it, yet.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

Hawk Eye

Jun 20, 2004, 8:40:08 AM6/20/04
On 20/06/04 07:02 Mark Adams stumbled up to the bar and slurred..<br>

> David M. Carney wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:57:46 -0600
>> Mark Adams <mad...@netscape.dotnet> wrote:
>>

>>> Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but Google isn't really
>>> helping.
>>>
>>> Is there a GUI frontend for MySQL under Mandrake+KDE that will allow
>>> me to create forms for data input, reporting, etc. along the lines of
>>> MS Access?
>>>
>>> I seem to remember something about OpenOffice.org's wordprocessor
>>> working like this, but I can't find a source or tutorial on it.
>>>
>>> Any help?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>

>> http://www.knoda.org/ looks promising. Found it after a rather easy
>> search on freshmeat.net.
>>
>> With Mandrake 10 (Official) urpmi knoda works.
>>
>> David
>>

> I'm still working with 9.2, might be until 10.1. I'm seeing that Knoda
> *may* compile from source for 9.2.
>
> Thanks anyway.

You can get an RPm from

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/933119/com/knoda-0.6-1.i386.rpm.html

seems to work OK here. Good software too, easy to use built a db in about 5
minutes flat (inc queries forms etc)

--
Regards

Neil

Linux User 324599
Sorry, my sig is in the shower. Would you like to leave a message?

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 11:30:51 AM6/20/04

Umm, where is the form designer in MySQLCC? Did I just miss it?

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

Lensmen eat Jedi for breakfast.

JohnOfArc

Jun 20, 2004, 12:38:40 PM6/20/04
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:50:45 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Mark Adams wrote:
>
>> Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but Google isn't really
>> helping.
>
>> Is there a GUI frontend for MySQL under Mandrake+KDE that will allow me
>> to create forms for data input, reporting, etc. along the lines of MS
>> Access?
>
> All I've found (in English) is Rekall, from The Kompany. Google it.
>
> I bought it. I've not really implemented it, yet.

it's been GPL'ed since late last year; AFAIK, TKC is out of the loop.

http://www.totalrekall.co.uk/index.php

http://www.rekallrevealed.org/

I'm building a little db to keep track of my "stuff" for insurance
purposes using Rekall with xbase/xbsql drivers (no client/server crap to
mess with using xbase). I'm also (very slowly) migrating an Access db to
MySQL with Rekall as frontend. Mysql-administrator looks like the nuts
for, umm, administering MySQL.

http://www.mysql.com/products/administrator/

I've seen mdk.rpms here and there, and have compiled from source for
Mandrake and Debian (which I'm currently using). IM(h)O, Rekall is worth a
try if you're seeking an Access alternative on Linux...

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 12:46:38 PM6/20/04
Hawk Eye wrote:
> On 20/06/04 07:02 Mark Adams stumbled up to the bar and slurred..<br>
>
>> David M. Carney wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:57:46 -0600
>>> Mark Adams <mad...@netscape.dotnet> wrote:

<snip>

> You can get an RPm from
>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/933119/com/knoda-0.6-1.i386.rpm.html
>

> seems to work OK here. Good software too, easy to use built a db in
> about 5 minutes flat (inc queries forms etc)

Okay, I had a light brush with dependency hell, but sorted it out and it
looks like Knoda is just what I need. Finest kind....

'Preciate it Hawk.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

SCCS, the source motel! Programs check in and never check out!
-- Ken Thompson

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 1:10:52 PM6/20/04
JohnOfArc wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:50:45 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

<snip>

>>All I've found (in English) is Rekall, from The Kompany. Google it.
>>
>>I bought it. I've not really implemented it, yet.
>>

> it's been GPL'ed since late last year; AFAIK, TKC is out of the loop.
>
> http://www.totalrekall.co.uk/index.php
>
> http://www.rekallrevealed.org/
>
> I'm building a little db to keep track of my "stuff" for insurance
> purposes using Rekall with xbase/xbsql drivers (no client/server crap to
> mess with using xbase). I'm also (very slowly) migrating an Access db to
> MySQL with Rekall as frontend. Mysql-administrator looks like the nuts
> for, umm, administering MySQL.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/products/administrator/
>
> I've seen mdk.rpms here and there, and have compiled from source for
> Mandrake and Debian (which I'm currently using). IM(h)O, Rekall is worth a
> try if you're seeking an Access alternative on Linux...

So, what must one do to satisfy the "Linux Full" permissions and
download Rekall? It looks interesting.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

Rome wasn't burnt in a day.

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 1:27:53 PM6/20/04
Okay question: I installed it and all I seem to have is the form
designer. How do I access the main database window, the table window,
query desing window, etc.

All I installed was the rpm you were good enough to point out for me.

Thanks.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

Fortune's real live weird band names #443:

Meat Cigars

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 1:30:25 PM6/20/04

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

When asked by an anthropologist what the Indians called America before
the white men came, an Indian said simply "Ours."
-- Vine Deloria, Jr.

Fri13

Jun 20, 2004, 4:35:09 PM6/20/04

Check www.kde-apps.org and from there "database".

--
Gnu/Linux, Mandrake 10.0|KDE 3.2.1
AMD 1.7+ 512MB | C-750UZ

Hawk Eye

Jun 20, 2004, 5:16:17 PM6/20/04
On 20/06/04 18:27 Mark Adams stumbled up to the bar and slurred..<br>

> Okay question: I installed it and all I seem to have is the form
> designer. How do I access the main database window, the table window,
> query desing window, etc.
>
> All I installed was the rpm you were good enough to point out for me.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Should be farily easy, on the right hand side there should be a small 'column'
called functions. In there there should be a selection for DBs, Tables, queries
, forms etc. Whichever one of those you select allows you into that 'portion' of
the database. The actions section defines what you are doing ie create, modify etc.

HTH

--
Regards

Neil

Registered Linux User 324599
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they
start making vacuum cleaners......

JohnOfArc

Jun 20, 2004, 5:26:29 PM6/20/04
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:10:52 -0600, Mark Adams wrote:

> So, what must one do to satisfy the "Linux Full" permissions and
> download Rekall? It looks interesting.

pay the developers for their binaries, pricing only listed in British lbs
(25). Or find a Mandrake rpm elsewhere- I've seen several on the web, here
and there, from time to time (Google; someone once posted links to rpms he
built to this very group; I once got rpms from ??cooker/Mandrake Club??).
Get source and build yourself- I've built for LM 9.0 and 9.2, haven't
tried for 10 as I'm mostly using Debian for now. There are also some
demos, looks like only up to LM 9.1, time-limited (PIA, something like
20-30 min per use). AFAIK, the demos are available if you register as a
member on Total Rekall site.

http://www.totalrekall.co.uk/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=45

source:

http://www.rekallrevealed.org/toplevel/getting/source.shtml

or get SuSE, Seems Rekall is included in 9.1 ;-)

Blinky the Shark

Jun 20, 2004, 7:42:30 PM6/20/04
Mark Adams wrote:

> So, what must one do to satisfy the "Linux Full" permissions and
> download Rekall? It looks interesting.

As far as I know, you buy it, having checked it out with the demo.

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 9:16:02 PM6/20/04
Hawk Eye wrote:
> On 20/06/04 18:27 Mark Adams stumbled up to the bar and slurred..<br>
>
>> Okay question: I installed it and all I seem to have is the form
>> designer. How do I access the main database window, the table window,
>> query desing window, etc.
>>
>> All I installed was the rpm you were good enough to point out for me.
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Hi,
>
> Should be farily easy, on the right hand side there should be a small
> 'column' called functions. In there there should be a selection for
> DBs, Tables, queries , forms etc. Whichever one of those you select
> allows you into that 'portion' of the database. The actions section
> defines what you are doing ie create, modify etc.
>
> HTH

Yeah, I figured that out -- eventually. But I noticed my main window
looks nothing like the default KDE or MDI screenshots at knoda.org and I
don't seem to have any options for them. I assume that's because I am
using version 0.6 and the newest ver. is 0.6.3. I tried installing
0.6.3 and it was a descent into dependency hell. I'll wait for the
upgrade to Mdk 10.

Thanks again.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

I'm wearing PAMPERS!!

Mark Adams

Jun 20, 2004, 9:17:22 PM6/20/04
Fri13 wrote:
> Mark Adams wrote:
>

>>Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but Google isn't really
>>helping.
>>
>>Is there a GUI frontend for MySQL under Mandrake+KDE that will allow me
>>to create forms for data input, reporting, etc. along the lines of MS
>>Access?
>>
>>I seem to remember something about OpenOffice.org's wordprocessor
>>working like this, but I can't find a source or tutorial on it.
>>
>>Any help?
>>
>>Thanks.
>

> Check www.kde-apps.org and from there "database".

Been there, done that, gotten over the confusion. :-)

Thanks Fri.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .

Humor in the Court:
Q. And who is this person you are speaking of?
A. My ex-widow said it.

Yurk Yurk

Jun 20, 2004, 9:23:36 PM6/20/04

> I seem to remember something about OpenOffice.org's wordprocessor working
> like this, but I can't find a source or tutorial on it.

You can do it with OpenOffice. It's very MS-Access-like. Here's a tutorial:

http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL9.pdf

Bigbob73

Jun 21, 2004, 2:48:06 PM6/21/04
Mark Adams <mad...@netscape.dotnet> wrote in message news:<10dbh8t...@corp.supernews.com>...

> JohnOfArc wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:50:45 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >

> <snip>
>

> >>All I've found (in English) is Rekall, from The Kompany. Google it.
> >>
> >>I bought it. I've not really implemented it, yet.
> >>

> > it's been GPL'ed since late last year; AFAIK, TKC is out of the loop.
> >
> > http://www.totalrekall.co.uk/index.php
> >
> > http://www.rekallrevealed.org/
> >
> > I'm building a little db to keep track of my "stuff" for insurance
> > purposes using Rekall with xbase/xbsql drivers (no client/server crap to
> > mess with using xbase). I'm also (very slowly) migrating an Access db to
> > MySQL with Rekall as frontend. Mysql-administrator looks like the nuts
> > for, umm, administering MySQL.
> >
> > http://www.mysql.com/products/administrator/
> >
> > I've seen mdk.rpms here and there, and have compiled from source for
> > Mandrake and Debian (which I'm currently using). IM(h)O, Rekall is worth a
> > try if you're seeking an Access alternative on Linux...
> >

> So, what must one do to satisfy the "Linux Full" permissions and
> download Rekall? It looks interesting.

You can download rekall using a cooker mirror. It's VERY advisable to
do it this way as the dependencies will kill you.

Bigbob