Monkeys, millipedes and ecstasy (OT)

Todd Morman

Aug 11, 2002, 8:13:20 PM8/11/02
to Chapel Hill Music Lovers
Well, if anything to do with monkeys and ecstasy can be OT here. Monkeys
bite the heads of millipedes and rub the juices on their fur, which induces
an apparent state of ecstasy similar to cats and catnip.

todd feel free to take it from there morman

===
Thu, Aug. 08, 2002
Millipedes move in, and the monkeys go wild
BY DAVID OVALLE Miami Herald
http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/news/weird_news/3831191.htm

Georgia the owl monkey is at it again. But her caretakers at Monkey Jungle
are no longer worried as they watch her frenzied rolls across the bottom of
her cage. After all, they have concluded, she is under the influence.

An imported species of millipede from the West Indies is flourishing in
parts of South Florida, experts say. The capuchin and owl monkeys at the
park like to rub the creatures on their fur, which sends them into a
delirious state, said Sian Evans, who heads the DuMond Conservancy, a
primate conservation group based at Monkey Jungle, the South Miami-Dade
tourist attraction.

A species of South Florida birds also likes the millipedes. Grackles pick
them up with their beaks and use them to anoint the area under their wings.

Millipedes defend themselves by secreting a chemical that acts as a natural
bug repellent, said Virginia-based millipede expert Richard Hoffman, who
helped identify the species. Scientists believe the monkeys rub the bugs on
their fur to ward off mosquitoes, a behavior documented in capuchin monkeys
but never in the nocturnal owl monkeys.

LOVE POTION NO. 9?

The millipedes' secretions induce an excited state in the monkeys that lasts
up to 30 minutes, kind of like how cats react to catnip.

''They bite the millipedes, then reach behind their back and rub it on their
fur,'' said Evans, who added that the behavior is natural but rarely seen.
``Their eyes glaze over and they're completely focused on what they're
doing.''

Last week, one monkey shared a millipede with four family members and the
entire family turned into a ``writhing mass.''

''Could it be we have stumbled upon an ancient primate form of
hallucinogens?'' Hoffman said. ``Who knows?''

The presence of the nonnative millipedes at Monkey Jungle drew the attention
of the few millipede experts in the country, as well as scientists with the
Miami-Dade County Cooperative Extension Service in Homestead.

Students from Florida International University also are studying the
millipedes. Senior Cher Moody, a biology major, was the first to test the
millipedes on monkeys at the park.

The Anadenobolus monilicornis millipedes may have come from the West Indies
or South America on imported plants or fruits more than a year ago, Hoffman
said. State agriculture inspectors are trying to determine the critters'
origin.

There are about 10,000 known species of millipedes, which are not to be
confused with centipedes. Millipedes have two legs per segment with some
species reaching up to 11 inches in length.

`KIND OF CUTE'

The West Indies species can grow up to four inches -- twice as long as
common South Florida millipedes. Unlike the natives' dull gray color, the
West Indian variety has bright yellow and red rings.

''If you like small animals that are not furry, they're kind of cute,''
County Extension Service entomologist Adrian Hunsberger said as she examined
one on her desk.

Dr. Paul Weldon, a scientist with the Smithsonian's Conservation and
Research Center in Front Royal, Va., visited the park at 14805 SW 216th St.,
last weekend to test the monkeys' reactions to natural millipede chemicals.

Weldon, who has been researching nontoxic mosquito repellents for the Army,
found the monkeys had already been experimenting with the new breed crawling
through the park.

He sent live samples to Hoffman in Martinsville, Va., who identified them.
The species has never been recorded in significant numbers in the United
States.

The new species seems to be displacing the native species at the park,
outmaneuvering them for the decaying plants that millipedes eat, Evans said.

She said the millipedes do not have a negative impact on the environment.

''It's a fairly benign invasion,'' Hoffman said. ``It will be interesting to
keep an eye on it and see and how far it spreads. It may become established
and successful or it could be short-term.''

Max

Aug 11, 2002, 10:44:52 PM8/11/02
Totally bizarre...

What happens when these monkey's start Jones-ing these little creepy
crawlies in winter season? That was totally meant as a joke, but I wonder if
they can get addicted? Gosh I hope not, well I can't worry about that right
now because I am off to cover my fur with the fluids from small arthropods
and to roll around on my cage floor for a while!

Max

"Todd Morman" <tmo...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

blandings dunman

Aug 12, 2002, 12:16:33 AM8/12/02
to Chapel Hill Music Lovers
Todd Morman wrote:

> Well, if anything to do with monkeys and ecstasy can be OT here. Monkeys
> bite the heads of millipedes and rub the juices on their fur, which induces
> an apparent state of ecstasy similar to cats and catnip.
>
> todd feel free to take it from there morman
>
> ===

it's interesting to note that the other example given is cats and
catnip, since catnip has been found to have impressive mosquito
repelling abilities.

i suppose if i had insects crawling in my eyes and my ears and my scalp
and my mouth and my nostrils and under my arms and in my ass i'd
probably get pretty euphoric about good repellent, too. that'd be my
guess, anyway.