Good Mythos Story

Jason Thompson

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

Brian McNaughton (bmcna...@monmouth.com) wrote:
: But I made an exception for Matt Cardin, because I have been impressed
: -- sometimes even dazzled -- by his posts exploring the philosophical
: underpinnings of Lovecraft's work. And his story, "Teeth," posted at
: http://www.locrian/ demonstrates that he can not only talk the cosmic
: horror talk, he can walk the cosmic horror walk.

What's the address, exactly? I tried "http://www.locrian/" and
"http://www.locrian.com" and my server couldn't find anything. Of course, it
could just be Netscape 3.0 struggling...

Thanks!

Jason Thompson
Knygathin Zhaum

Brian McNaughton

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

I must confess that I don't read much fiction on the Web. If the Good
Lord wanted you to do that, he wouldn't have given you *books* like --
to cite an example purely at random -- THE THRONE OF BONES, by yours
truly, still available at http://www.barnesandnoble.com for the
discounted price of $24.50.

But I made an exception for Matt Cardin, because I have been impressed
-- sometimes even dazzled -- by his posts exploring the philosophical
underpinnings of Lovecraft's work. And his story, "Teeth," posted at
http://www.locrian/ demonstrates that he can not only talk the cosmic
horror talk, he can walk the cosmic horror walk.

This is a first-rate Mythos story. I know, I know, that's almost a
contradiction in terms, but this one can't be summed up like so many
of them as, "Shoggoths! RUN! AIIEEEE!!!!" Mr. Cardin goes back to
the roots of cosmic horror for his inspiration and manages to coax a
brand new shoot from the overworked soil.

I recommend "Teeth" highly. And I can't wait to see more of Mr.
Cardin's work, no matter whether he posts it on the Web or puts it in
a book.

--Brian McNaughton

Dan Clore

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

Jason Thompson wrote:
> Brian McNaughton (bmcna...@monmouth.com) wrote:

> : But I made an exception for Matt Cardin, because I have been impressed

> : -- sometimes even dazzled -- by his posts exploring the philosophical
> : underpinnings of Lovecraft's work. And his story, "Teeth," posted at
> : http://www.locrian/ demonstrates that he can not only talk the cosmic
> : horror talk, he can walk the cosmic horror walk.

> What's the address, exactly? I tried "http://www.locrian/" and

> "http://www.locrian.com" and my server couldn't find anything. Of course, it
> could just be Netscape 3.0 struggling...

You'll have to excuse M. McNaughton. He's getting on in years, and time
hasn't treated his brain very well. The actual address is:
http://www.lionheart.net/locrian/
go to the Ligotti-inspired fiction section. And while you're there, read
my own story, "Ÿ". Or else.

Dan Clore

The Website of Lord Weÿrdgliffe:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/index.html
Welcome to the Waughters....

The Dan Clore Necronomicon Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9879/necpage.htm
Because the true mysteries cannot be profaned....

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

David Skogsberg

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

In article <6f9tpf$1...@bolt.sonic.net>, Jason Thompson <ja...@sonic.net> wrote:
>Brian McNaughton (bmcna...@monmouth.com) wrote:
>: But I made an exception for Matt Cardin, because I have been impressed
>: -- sometimes even dazzled -- by his posts exploring the philosophical
>: underpinnings of Lovecraft's work. And his story, "Teeth," posted at
>: http://www.locrian/ demonstrates that he can not only talk the cosmic
>: horror talk, he can walk the cosmic horror walk.
>
>What's the address, exactly? I tried "http://www.locrian/" and
>"http://www.locrian.com" and my server couldn't find anything. Of course, it
>could just be Netscape 3.0 struggling...

http://www.lionheart.net/locrian/

I think Brian was just slightly hasty in typing in the URL.

cd
Who hasn't read it yet, but I will, oh yes I will...
--
"And it has come to pass that the Lord of the Woods, being ...Seven
and Nine, down the onyx steps ...(Tri)butes to him in the Gulf, Aza-

Brian McNaughton

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

On 25 Mar 1998 08:37:33 GMT, d97...@dtek.chalmers.se (David

Skogsberg) wrote:

>http://www.lionheart.net/locrian/
>
>I think Brian was just slightly hasty in typing in the URL.

Indeed, yes, and thanks to all who corrected my error. And --

Thank heaven for little URLS,
'For little URLS grown longer every day... .

Oddly enough, I e-mailed the *correct* version to Bob Price, and AOL
told him there was no such place... .

--Brian McNaughton

David Skogsberg

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

In article <351ed04e...@news.monmouth.com>,

Brian McNaughton <bmcna...@monmouth.com> wrote:
>On 25 Mar 1998 08:37:33 GMT, d97...@dtek.chalmers.se (David
>Skogsberg) wrote:
>>
>>http://www.lionheart.net/locrian/
>>
>>I think Brian was just slightly hasty in typing in the URL.
>>
>Indeed, yes, and thanks to all who corrected my error. And --
>
> Thank heaven for little URLS,
> 'For little URLS grown longer every day... .

I'm reminded, for some weird reason of
http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk/
(which is, actually, a valid adress).

cd

loc...@esad.com

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

Brian McNaughton wrote:

> I must confess that I don't read much fiction on the Web. If the Good
> Lord wanted you to do that, he wouldn't have given you *books* like --
> to cite an example purely at random -- THE THRONE OF BONES, by yours
> truly, still available at http://www.barnesandnoble.com for the
> discounted price of $24.50.
>
> But I made an exception for Matt Cardin, because I have been impressed
> -- sometimes even dazzled -- by his posts exploring the philosophical
> underpinnings of Lovecraft's work. And his story, "Teeth," posted at
> http://www.locrian/ demonstrates that he can not only talk the cosmic
> horror talk, he can walk the cosmic horror walk.
>
> This is a first-rate Mythos story. I know, I know, that's almost a
> contradiction in terms, but this one can't be summed up like so many
> of them as, "Shoggoths! RUN! AIIEEEE!!!!" Mr. Cardin goes back to
> the roots of cosmic horror for his inspiration and manages to coax a
> brand new shoot from the overworked soil.
>
> I recommend "Teeth" highly. And I can't wait to see more of Mr.
> Cardin's work, no matter whether he posts it on the Web or puts it in
> a book.
>
> --Brian McNaughton

Here here, Brian! "Teeth" really is an exceptional story, mythos or
otherwise. I, too, hope that Mr. Cardin will submit more work, as "Teeth" is
most impressive. Incidentally, the correct address is
http://www.lionheart.net/locrian/ , which is the address of my website, Thomas
Ligotti Online. While you're there, drop me a line and let me know what you
think of the site as a whole. Also, if you have time, please read the other
excellent stories "Y" by Dan Clore, "Novus Homo" by Thomas Iverson, and "Eyes
of the Master" by Jonathan Padgett -- there are email links at the bottom of
each story page -- let these authors know what you think!

Also, I am looking for more fiction submissions (the only requirement is that
the work be at least indirectly Ligottiesque in content [if you're not
familiar with TL's work, read the stories online, and you'll get the idea]).

Again, thanks for bringing Matt's superb story to everyone's attention, and I
hope to hear from all of you soon.

Many Thanks,
Doctor Locrian
(Thomas Ligotti Online)
http://www.lionheart.net/locrian/

Bruce

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Brian McNaughton wrote:
<snip>
> This is a first-rate Mythos story. I know, I know, that's almost a
> contradiction in terms, but this one can't be summed up like so many
> of them as, "Shoggoths! RUN! AIIEEEE!!!!" Mr. Cardin goes back to
> the roots of cosmic horror for his inspiration and manages to coax a
> brand new shoot from the overworked soil.
>
> I recommend "Teeth" highly. And I can't wait to see more of Mr.
> Cardin's work, no matter whether he posts it on the Web or puts it in
> a book.

The Mythos fiction of Mike Minnis isn't exactly shoddy either. He's been
quite prolific (having more than one story on virtually all the Mythos
fiction websites), and his fiction is ambitiously lengthy, well-written
and imaginative. Best of all, he's giving it away free on the WWW.

Bruce
b...@efn.org
Cthulhu Mythos Original Short Fiction Website
to be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/6140/

Matt Cardin

Mar 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/25/98

In article <35195c68...@news.monmouth.com>, bmcna...@monmouth.com
(Brian McNaughton) wrote:

> I must confess that I don't read much fiction on the Web. If the Good
> Lord wanted you to do that, he wouldn't have given you *books* like --
> to cite an example purely at random -- THE THRONE OF BONES, by yours
> truly, still available at http://www.barnesandnoble.com for the
> discounted price of $24.50.
>
> But I made an exception for Matt Cardin, because I have been impressed
> -- sometimes even dazzled -- by his posts exploring the philosophical
> underpinnings of Lovecraft's work. And his story, "Teeth," posted at
> http://www.locrian/ demonstrates that he can not only talk the cosmic
> horror talk, he can walk the cosmic horror walk.
>

> This is a first-rate Mythos story. I know, I know, that's almost a
> contradiction in terms, but this one can't be summed up like so many
> of them as, "Shoggoths! RUN! AIIEEEE!!!!" Mr. Cardin goes back to
> the roots of cosmic horror for his inspiration and manages to coax a
> brand new shoot from the overworked soil.
>
> I recommend "Teeth" highly. And I can't wait to see more of Mr.
> Cardin's work, no matter whether he posts it on the Web or puts it in
> a book.

Brian,

Thanks so much for the kind comments. They mean a lot to me.

(And was that example of an actual book printed on actual paper a truly
*random* example? :-) )

Best wishes,

Matt Cardin
MGCa...@aol.com

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao, so I'll shut up.

Dan Clore

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Of course it was: due to his anxiety over my upcoming review in
_Necrofile_, it was the only book he could think of. So he generated a
random number from 1 to 1, and got 1.

Dan Clore

The Website of Lord We˙rdgliffe:

Dan Clore

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

I forgot to mention how he did this. He rolled a 20-sided die with the
following values assigned:

1=1
2=1
3=1
4=1
5=1
6=1
7=1
8=1
9=1
10=1
11=1
12=1
13=1
14=1
15=1
16=1
17=1
18=1
19=1
20=1

Now you, too, can do this at home!

Brian McNaughton

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98
Damn you, Clore! Must you prattle out ALL my secrets?

--Brian McNaughton

David Skogsberg

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

In article <351c4e63...@news.monmouth.com>,

Brian McNaughton <bmcna...@monmouth.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 03:42:26 GMT, Dan Clore
><cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:
>>
>>I forgot to mention how he did this. He rolled a 20-sided die with the
>>following values assigned:

[Snip]

>>Now you, too, can do this at home!
>
>Damn you, Clore! Must you prattle out ALL my secrets?

No, he mustn't. I can mention the inflatable sheep doll[1]...

>--Brian McNaughton

...As we all know about Scotsmen and sheep, eh? (Damn, I'm turning into
a Canadian, eh?)

/cd, with a cheery new .sig
[1]: New Scientist 24 Sept. 1994
--
"The best thing about sex is when you put the knife
in and the voices stop." - Keith Osbourne

Warren Banks

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

David Skogsberg wrote:

> In article <351c4e63...@news.monmouth.com>,
> Brian McNaughton <bmcna...@monmouth.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 03:42:26 GMT, Dan Clore
> ><cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:
> >>
> >>I forgot to mention how he did this. He rolled a 20-sided die with the
> >>following values assigned:
> >>
> [Snip]
> >>
> >>Now you, too, can do this at home!
> >
> >Damn you, Clore! Must you prattle out ALL my secrets?
>
> No, he mustn't. I can mention the inflatable sheep doll[1]...
>
> >--Brian McNaughton
>
> ...As we all know about Scotsmen and sheep, eh? (Damn, I'm turning into
> a Canadian, eh?)

Well for that remark, you have to ride in the back when we go to Antarctica
to look for the Shoggoth. And don't try stitching a Canadian flag to your
backpack either.

Warren C. Banks
The C stand for Canadian!

Dan Clore

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Brian McNaughton wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 03:42:26 GMT, Dan Clore
> <cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:
> >
> >I forgot to mention how he did this. He rolled a 20-sided die with the
> >following values assigned:
> >
> >1=1
> >2=1
> >3=1
> >4=1
> >5=1
> >6=1
> >7=1
> >8=1
> >9=1
> >10=1
> >11=1
> >12=1
> >13=1
> >14=1
> >15=1
> >16=1
> >17=1
> >18=1
> >19=1
> >20=1
> >
> >Now you, too, can do this at home!
>
> Damn you, Clore! Must you prattle out ALL my secrets?

No, but if I were to do so, I'd be sure to mention that you first
understood the line "Write what you know" to be using the word "know" in
the biblical sense, hence your false start with the 200 porn novels....

David Skogsberg

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

In article <351ACF37...@uniserve.com>,

Warren Banks <dar...@uniserve.com> wrote:
>David Skogsberg wrote:
>> In article <351c4e63...@news.monmouth.com>,
>> Brian McNaughton <bmcna...@monmouth.com> wrote:

>> >Damn you, Clore! Must you prattle out ALL my secrets?

>> No, he mustn't. I can mention the inflatable sheep doll[1]...

>> >--Brian McNaughton

>> ...As we all know about Scotsmen and sheep, eh? (Damn, I'm turning into
>> a Canadian, eh?)

>Well for that remark, you have to ride in the back when we go to Antarctica
>to look for the Shoggoth. And don't try stitching a Canadian flag to your
>backpack either.

Yikes! Oh well, with a well-stocked CD player I won't have any real problems.
Anyone have an extra copy of _Cthulhu Strikes Back_ that I can buy? It's made
by The Darkest ... of the ... Hillside ... oh, you're one of them, aren't you?

Drake

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:50:52 GMT, Dan Clore
<cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:

Wouldn't that actually be "Write whom you know?" Of course, if a
'what' _is_ applicable, then it certainly belongs here...

>No, but if I were to do so, I'd be sure to mention that you first
>understood the line "Write what you know" to be using the word "know" in
>the biblical sense, hence your false start with the 200 porn novels....
>
>--
>Dan Clore
>

>The Website of Lord Weÿrdgliffe:

Dan Clore

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:50:52 GMT, Dan Clore
> <cl...@columbia-center.org> wrote:

> Wouldn't that actually be "Write whom you know?"

Not, I'm afraid to say, in the sad case of M. McNaughton.