off topic but, just wondering . . .

somewhere else

Dec 14, 2002, 9:22:04 PM12/14/02

Group . . .

. . . I have an Electra Phoenix (sort of Stratocaster copy) from the early
'80's. It has a brass hardtail bridge which accepts the strings
"top-loaded" and not "through-body" as is found on most hardtail variations.
The holes that accept the ball end of the strings and the intonation
adjustment screws are basically inline with each other and therefore do not
allow for the best string alignment and tonal response. The screws go
directly through the center or middle of the older, round style saddles and
it seems that it would be a better situation if they were located off center
(half on the left end of the saddle; E throug D , half on the right end of
the saddle; G through E). I'm looking for a better designed and most
adjustable replacement for this original bridge. Original saddle type or
more modern Fender type are both fine with me. Does anyone know where I can
purchase such an item? I wouldn't care about this poor old Japanese relic
except that it has the best "C" style maple neck of any Stratocaster or copy
that I've ever picked up in my life. Finger candy is hard to resist!

Thanks for all your assistanc!
somewhere else

Jon R. Pickens

Dec 15, 2002, 6:42:16 PM12/15/02
I'd check Allparts and Stewart MacDonald. Those are both good
starting points. Customshopparts.com has some neat stuff too. You'll
need to get a catalog from Allparts. They have a website, but it
blows. It's nearly impossible to navigate and see what you're looking
for. The catalog however it laid out nicely and shows a bunch of cool
stuff.

On the other hand, why don't you do what I did (in reverse). I had a
strat copy that I liked, but the neck sucked. I got a neck that I
liked and swapped it out. Not only does it play better, but the newer
neck fit the neck joint tighter and improved the tone and resonance
dramatically.

There's a million places to get a replacement body. Gregg Rogers has
some REALLY cool stuff ( http://www.greggrogersguitars.com/ )

You could order a body in the color of your choice with the routing
and bridge options you want. Keep the neck you love so dearly. It'd
be the best of all worlds.

-Jon