1.12 Bugs list

Imperius Damian

Dec 14, 2009, 1:16:40 PM12/14/09
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21730606224&sid=3000&pageNo=1

Found this on the Bnuts forums. I'd say a lot of these are probably pretty
easy fixes! So come on Blizz, let's see 'em!

Someone

Dec 14, 2009, 1:32:27 PM12/14/09

"Imperius Damian" wrote...

> http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=21730606224&sid=3000&pageNo=1
>
> Found this on the Bnuts forums. I'd say a lot of these are probably pretty
> easy fixes! So come on Blizz, let's see 'em!

I read that thread, too. I would love to know how the author knows all that
stuff. What tools must be used to reverse-engineer the game to that level?
It's impressive.

Quoted below:

============================

Clearly there are additional areas where the 1.13 patch can add value. Many
of these opportunities lie in bug fixes, many of which have been sought
after for years. Since Bashiok has indicated that post counts = Blizzard
attention, let's keep this thread active by posting our interest!

Post Courtesy of Nefarius at Phrozen Keep. (This is not the result of my
work!)

http://phrozenkeep.hugelaser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=47602

[New Bugs]

Waypoint Memory Leak - the WayPointRoom appended to pObjRegion (a new
segment created each time you activate a waypoint by visting it, not
clicking on it), isn't freed properly should more then one waypoint be
activated at about the same time (this CAN happen in MP games). Only one
node is freed, but the index is set to NULL, thus leaving some memory
leaked.

Kick Skills - Several bugs here, the client skill-triggering validation does
not check if you're already in PLRMODE_KICK (which is a bug), this is what
causes all the bugs associated with these skills (there is no AR bug with
them, this is only a display glitch at best). The result of this bug is that
the skills will not perform an attack server side until you let go of the
mouse button, since they ge re-initiated every frame for as long as you hold
the button.

Kick Skills Part II - Added 5th June, 2008, some more bugs on Dragon Talon,
it attacks twice every "hit" (the dispatcher is called twice, ofc the skill
is so bugged in vanilla that this would go unnoticed without first fixing
the broken srvStFunc), the evaluation for knockback chance is bugged, it
looks like it originally was supposed to factorize the mLvl and cLvl of
target/attacker like other skills, but ends using the mLvl of the target for
both factors (which means not matter what you attack with it, the outcome of
this formula will be the same). (The formula currently is:
(([acronym="Monster Level"]mlvl[/acronym] + [acronym="Skill
Level"]slvl[/acronym]) - [acronym="Monster Level"]mlvl[/acronym]) which will
always result in [acronym="Skill Level"]slvl[/acronym]).

Kick Skills Part III - Added 7th June, 2008, some more issues with kick
skills, due to incorrect code in the default melee damage creation func,
kick skills will recieve elemental damage from weapons. Caused by a missing
return statement. (this is evidently a bug, first the state of both weapons
is set to inactive, it should exit after this, but it continues to the
'normal' code that activates one of them again if the player can dual
wield --- which assassins can).

Psychic Hammer - copy/pasted code from Dragon Talons knockback section, with
the same formula bug on (using [acronym="Monster Level"]mlvl[/acronym]
twice).

Kick Damage Bonus - This stat isn't really used in vanilla, but the bonus is
added twice instead of once, so +1 is in reality +2.

Power Strike Bug - The power strike SrvStFunc ignores the attack rating
bonus from skills.txt

Smite Bugs - It wasen't ever meant to hit all the time, they do call the
attacker/defender routine :!:, the problem is that they ignore the results
of this, probably because they confused AND with OR. Smite also does not set
unitflag #64 which tells the game a skill has been executed successfully
(which will cause all kinds of glitches that may seem irrelated), finally.
Smite used by monsters uses the damage specified for mode A2, even if they
didn't use A2 to launch the skill (and even if they have no damage specified
for A2).

Airstrike Bugs - New (but old nontheless)
I forgot to list these two bugs before, the Freezing Catapults in act V
don't do anything because the code for their collision functions is broken
(I never bothered to look into what exactly is broken, but my guess is that
the general radial [acronym="Area of Effect"]AoE[/acronym] redesign in v1.10
broke this). The Hell Meteors (stuff in river of flame) is entirely broken,
that is meteors flash around the screen but never land, and when they land
only rarely explode, and when they explode they spawn just 1 flame, instead
of a fire patch (like meteor, and like they worked before v1.10)

Boss Event Screwup

Boss events that are delayed by a timer (Poison Death, Cold Enchanted,
Lightning Enchanted, Firegolem Explosion, Fire Enchanted, Lightning Nova on
death and others) all use the same timeout Id, as a result each single time
a timeout is being set, all of these events will execute their effects.

Client Do Func Bugs

The client will continue executing the ClientDoFunc for skills even after
you go into hit recovery, which leads to blank zeal swipes and ghost
missiles that do not hit anything because they don't exist serverside

Stuck-age Bugs

After using certain skills (Frenzy, Leap Attack, Whirlwind) the player can
get stuck in place, this happens (to my knowledge) when you start using the
skills in the very moment you are hit by an attack and the server changes
your mode to hit recovery, because the client keeps executing the do func
(related to previous bug) you remain stuck in this state for eternity

Unowned Skill Summon Bug

Summons created by skills you do not have (CTC, Oskill) will vanish after
random events take place because the summon rehashing function is called in
places that shouldn't call it (such as when drinking potions other then
rejuv potions)

Ethereal Item Bug

The defense bonus to ethereal items will increase every time the item is
used in a cube recipe that alters item flags, this happens because the
defense stats are saved directly on the item

Monster Damage

Monster elemental damage is completely broken, the function Blizzard uses to
generate monster stats does not discriminate between the different elemental
damage columns, as a result the game will use the damage from the first
column for all elementally enchanted attacks the monster can do (=Gloam
Bug), this is further complicated by the feature that elemental damage done
by monsters is effected by their critical hit chance.

MissileSrcDamage Bugs

The spell casting vipers added by v1.10 will append their melee damage to
the poison clouds they release, this isn't really a bug (the code works like
it should!), but careless design

Leeching Bug

Melee attacking monsters that do life, mana and stamina steal damage do
twice the amount of damage indicated (this means that those bugged mana
drain bosses actually do 512 times the proper damage!!), in the function
that creates pDamage after an attack hits incorrectly adds the new value to
the old value, instead of setting the old value to the new value!

Generic Damage Bugorama

Skills that use SrcDamage values other then 128 do not have the proper
amounts of damage as SrcDamage is incorrectly (and inconsistently) applied
throughout the code which may lead to damage being reduced more then it
should, on missiles the situation is worse as some damage types are not
reduced at all.

Item Damage Order

This is more of a design flaw then a bug, the game will apply the ED% bonus
after other damage boni have been applied, this is not a bug because there
is no way to change the check order in vanilla (weapon damage and extra
weapon damage use the same stat, so changing the order would break ED%
completely).

Missile Poison Damage Bug

Poison rises its ugly head again, blizzard confused Poison_Count stat with
Poison_Length when it comes to applying SrcDamage to the missile damage, as
a result skills like Multishot (that have SrcDamage other then 128) will end
up with invalid poison duration when you have more then one poison source
(this is related to the above but deserves a seperate place)

Monster Regen Bug

Monsters that are low on max hitpoints will end up having no life
regeneration (this applies to quill rats and other low enemies on normal
only), the calculation used ((hp / regen) << 10) will result in 0

Crushing Blow Bug

Players that have >99% physical resistance can become immune to crushing
blow, as the function used for Crushing Blow does not discriminate between
monsters and players (it should be capped to 50% here as well!) when it
checks for resistances to lower the damage you take from crushing blow

Summon Stats Bug

Summoned monsters will recieve extra attack rating and defense equal to 100%
of the value listed in MonLvl.txt for their mLvl (noratio is ignored)

Attack Rating Bugs

Monsters that use ranged attacks that require attack rating (Quill Rats,
Blow Pipers etc) have twice the attack rating they should have (due to a
incorrect assignment in the attacker / defender code)

Throwing and shooting skills that add an attack rating bonus to the missiles
do not add their bonus (it passes 0 to the function instead of reading the
bonus of the missile)

Blessed Aim and Penetrate use the same state, as a result the two skills can
cancel each other out because they will replace each others state statlists

Life / Damage Shifting Bugs

There are many places in the code where Blizzard forgot to handle life and
damage in 256ths, this results in 1/256 life assigned to units, which can
cause all kinds of weird behavior

Evil Urn Spiders

They were not meant to spawn spiders, the same column (Objects.txt -> Par7)
is used for different purposes on the client and the server, the value on
the server has to do with the chance of spawning bosses, on the client
values other the 0 in this field will spawn spiders or rats (255 = rat,
anything else but 0 = spider).

Invalid Objects

The ObjGroup data listed in levels.txt is very broken, some groups have a
chance of 0% to spawn, other groups do not contain objects and thus just
decimate the amount of objects spawning in the area

Curse Resistance Glitch

Curse Resistance is checked in the same function that handles most
time-based statlists assigned to units, except for a few cases that are
handled specially it will be applied to every time-based statlist, which
means it will reduce the duration of positive effects as well

Trigger Event Bug

The Frozen Horror arctic blast incorrectly triggers events, which can lead
to a sprite overflow when the skill is cast on a Sorceress using Chilling
Armor

Cleansing Glitch

Less severe, but still, cleansing will also reduce the duration of shrines
because shrines are incorrectly flagged as curses in states.txt

MonType.txt Lookup Bug

All lookups for records in MonType.txt done on the client will incorrectly
use the record count from MonProp.txt

Boss Picking Column Glitch

This isn't a real bug, but then again it does cause some likely
unintentional behavior (such as generating nests as bosses), the game uses
nmon instead of umon to pick bosses after normal, which means they are
picked out of the normal enemy pool instead of the special boss pool

Fires Magic Arrows Bug

You don't actually fire magic arrows, they only look like magic arrows on
the client, in reality they are just regular arrows. Note: the srvdmgfunc is
called properly, but any other appended missile functions are not called
(the loss of ammo is not controlled by special functions but by a boolean in
missiles.txt).

Magic Pierce and Magic Skill Damage Stats

These stats, while not being used by vanilla, are inconsitently referenced
by the code, so should they chose to use them in the future without fixing
this mess, expect new bugs ;)

Multishot Lag Bugs

Several boss death effects do not have NoMultishot set to true, as a result
encountering and killing them if they have the Multishot UMod will spawn
their death effect up to five times (Shenk et al.)

Oblivion Clone Bug

Extra oblivion knights added by v1.10 and v1.11x do not recieve the proper
components, which means they show up with mismatching glow around their
hands, this is caused by them not checking the BaseId, but rather checking
the HcIdx

Crafted Items Bug

The game does not display affix-colors for Crafted Items because they were
forgotten in the item-color function inside D2Client.dll

Drop Limit Bug

The fix to the old chest glitch has broken some act boss drops, some act
bosses were originally meant to drop 7 rather then 6 items

Ai Bugs

Many monster Ais are incompletely coded, for example the Fetish Shamans will
never use their Fetish Aura skill and Oblivion Knights do not attempt to
heal allies (in the later case the game even attempts to pick a target for
healing, which needlessly wastes cpu cycles because the return is discarded
right away), many other Ais have potential to jam up, this section is too
large to cover in detail, theres just verymuchalot of broken stuff here...

Homing Missile Bug

The target seeking flags used on the client and server for missiles that
automatically seek a target (Guided Arrow etc) are not identical, this can
sometimes lead to different units being targeted on both ends, which makes
the missile vanish

Palette Shift Bug

The last batch of palettes in RandTransforms.dat is never used by the game
because they forget to adjust the index in the only lookup that really
matters (the one in the drawing function)

Self-Resurrect Bug

The self-resurrect ability of the Reanimated Hordes incorrectly accesses the
Ai-Parameters which leads to them almost never resurrecting (or taking very
long to resurrect) --- this isn't really a Ai bug because this isn't part of
the Ai-code, this is a MonUMod (AiAfterDeath)

Trapped Souls Bug

Trapped souls that drop their items with a delay (those that go up in flames
when you touch them), do not take into account your characters gold and
magic find, they pass NULL to the tc function

Copy/Paste Is 1337 Bug

Blizzard copy/pasted that Desert level for the uber quest in v1.11x, and
forgot to set the Waypoint Id to -1 (255), waypoint lists are constructed
clientside, and we all know what that means

Diablo Clone Bug

Uber Diablo (or the Clone, one of the two) doesn't use the diablo-mode chart
entry, instead he uses the same normal monsters use, which can cause
unexpected problems

Treasure Class Upgrade Bug

This is a critical bug, the function does not check whenever it is reading
the last record inside the TCEX BinImage, as a result it can end up
traversing random memory until it asplodes

Poison Cloud Bugs

Some poison clouds have invalid hitclass set in Missiles.txt, as a result
they play the same sound like a javelin does when you walk into them, which
can be very annoying. The trail left by Plague Javelin doesn't do damage,
because of a typo in the serverside movement function

Mana Burn Bug

Melee attackers that have the mana burn boss mod will incorrectly deal 256
times more manasteal damage then they should (the damage is shifted twice
instead of once)

Quest Drop Bug

Some quest flags are being reset when they shouldn't allowing you to recieve
Andariels and Duriels quest drop infinite times until you visit Act II.

Fangskin Bug

The treasureclass assigned to Fangskin on hell doesn't exist

Monster Chain Bug

The guest monsters added in v1.11b (and also the Diablo Clone) have broken
chains which will lead to various (but not really noteworthy) glitches

Broken Runewords

Some of the property codes assigned to the v1.11x runewords are not spelled
properly (which will make the game quit assigning stats after the bad
property is reached, which in itself is a bug, it should just skip it, like
it does elsewhere)

Various Tileset Flag Bugs

There are several places where the walkable flags in the tiles are not
properly set, allowing players to go to places they shouldn't be able to,
this also applies to monsters spawning on inaccessable islands (for example
in the Act III sewers)

Affix Glitches

Some items spawn with affixes they shouldn't recieve (such as circlets
listed for both series of damage reduction, instead of only the first one
meant for circlets), Small Charms should be able to recieve the Lucky
prefix, instead the small charm version is assigned to large charms, some
affixes have invalid itemtypes listed, which prevents them from spawning on
those types (staves noteably listed as staff and not staf). There also are
some problems with the qLvl and reqLvl of some affixes (ex. King's and
Master's have the same qLvl and among the resistance affixes the strongest
affixes have a lower level then a bunch of weaker ones available on the same
items [IIRC] <keyword rods>), another incarnation of this is the Lizard's
prefix on small charms, there are two variants available at the same qLvl
that add different values (rather then one affix only), the weaker one was
meant to be replaced by the later (I assume this because thats how some
others like this are set up, the masters of copy/paste just forgot to edit
the line...)
New ones added I forgot before

Uber Quest Items

The Uber Quest Items drop in single player as well, where they are
completely useless (quest drops like these should be hardcoded...)

Intelligence Wrap

The AiParams for some monsters (Vampires noteably) are incorrect, leading to
the earliest species being more aggressive then the end-game variants, the
Guest Monsters do not have their Ai adjusted at all, which means most of
them act like Act1-2 enemies

The Unspellable One

That NPC who's name nobody can properly spell in Act III uses a MagicLevel
of 1 for everything because Blizzard too cannot spell his name (the column
header has a typo in it)

Privilege Bugs

Certain things are handled clientside that should never be controlled by the
client, for very obvious reasons I wont mention what, because these things
are presently not known to the armies of seething scriptkiddiots and I have
no intention to feed them.

Note that this list is not comprehensive; there are other bugs out there!
Please add them to this thread if they are not listed.

[ Post edited by Kretschmer ]