Act 5 switch?

~misfit~

Nov 25, 2005, 7:14:49 PM11/25/05
Ok, I've heard about this 'switch' in SP to start a character in act 5 at
level 35 (?) with all sta and skill points unallocated.

Just how do I go about using this switch? I'm running XP Pro and have never
used a 'switch' before. S'cuse my noobness.

Thanks.
--
~misfit~

Brian

Nov 25, 2005, 7:24:52 PM11/25/05

In your shortcut to startup diablo, change (e.g.)
"C:\path\to\diablo II.exe"
"C:\path\to\diablo II.exe" -act5
NOTE there is a space between the close-quote and the minus/hyphen.

~misfit~

Nov 25, 2005, 9:45:05 PM11/25/05

Thanks.
--
~misfit~

Mark

Nov 26, 2005, 10:37:38 AM11/26/05

"Brian" <brian....@verizon.net.prophet> wrote in message

> In your shortcut to startup diablo, change (e.g.)
> "C:\path\to\diablo II.exe"
> "C:\path\to\diablo II.exe" -act5
> NOTE there is a space between the close-quote and the minus/hyphen.

You can do the same for any act from 2-5 to skip forward to the
corresponding act. Just put the desired act number in as Brian has
explained.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

blooper01

Nov 27, 2005, 1:19:10 AM11/27/05
You got me my friend, first time I have heard of it. Sounds interesting
though.

--
Oompa Loompas have tiny hands, tiny hands make me woozy. ';)x---

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Ricoch3t

Nov 27, 2005, 7:06:17 AM11/27/05

"Brian" <brian....@verizon.net.prophet> kirjoitti
viestissä:pan.2005.11.26....@verizon.net.prophet...

One question: Is this "switch" meant to work?? I tried this too, but it
didn't work in my 1.11 LoD.. Or is it only for non-exp?? :(

-- FIN-Meta @ battle.net --

~misfit~

Nov 27, 2005, 8:03:09 AM11/27/05

It should work just fine in single player. It did for me after I tried it
with the info in this thread. LOD 1.11b

"C:\program files\diablo II\diablo II.exe" -act5

How can it be for non exp when there is no act 5 in non exp? :-)
--
~misfit~

Stephen van Ham

Nov 27, 2005, 4:21:23 PM11/27/05
>In your shortcut to startup diablo, change (e.g.)
>"C:\path\to\diablo II.exe"
>"C:\path\to\diablo II.exe" -act5
>NOTE there is a space between the close-quote and the minus/hyphen.

Is this the one that makes you level 35 but leaves you without a single
waypoint in any act, and no quests completed?

What is the point of it, exactly, if that's the case?

ArtDent

Nov 27, 2005, 5:22:27 PM11/27/05

On 27-Nov-2005, "Stephen van Ham" <sva...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Is this the one that makes you level 35 but leaves you without a single
> waypoint in any act, and no quests completed?

Yes.

> What is the point of it, exactly, if that's the case?

If nothing else, to experiment with different builds a bit. Whether 'tis
nobler to go summoning or bone - fire or ice - traps or martial arts -
pick your poison and check out how you like the way it handles on the
curves and straightaways.
You are - or should be - 'strong' enough that you could go forward, sort
of a sp rush, but you would miss the bonuses from completing the quests
you bypass.
Or, it is a built in 'cheat' for those that have trouble at the beginning
of the game, the Blood Moor, Den of Evil, Tristram, etc. tend to be pretty
easy when you are that level. (but boring then)
--
We apologize for the inconvenience

Stephen van Ham

Nov 27, 2005, 5:58:33 PM11/27/05
>If nothing else, to experiment with different builds a bit. Whether 'tis
>nobler to go summoning or bone - fire or ice - traps or martial arts -
>pick your poison and check out how you like the way it handles on the
>curves and straightaways.
>You are - or should be - 'strong' enough that you could go forward, sort
>of a sp rush, but you would miss the bonuses from completing the quests
>you bypass.
>Or, it is a built in 'cheat' for those that have trouble at the beginning
>of the game, the Blood Moor, Den of Evil, Tristram, etc. tend to be pretty
>easy when you are that level. (but boring then)

What I've always wondered if people are going to use such a switch to
skip content, why not just go the whole hog and use an editor to give
the character waypoints and gear to go with the level 35 tag. Seems
kind of a half assed way of doing things, really, IMO. :-)

Oh well, to each his own. When I want to experiment with a build, I
use an editor, and when I want to PLAY a character... I start at level
1.

Mark

Nov 27, 2005, 6:07:15 PM11/27/05

"Stephen van Ham" <sva...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> What I've always wondered if people are going to use such a switch to
> skip content, why not just go the whole hog and use an editor ...

Is there an editor out that works with 1.11? If so could you please give me
a link?

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury

Stephen van Ham

Nov 27, 2005, 6:09:00 PM11/27/05
>Is there an editor out that works with 1.11? If so could you please give me
>a link?

Zonfire has always worked for me in 1.11. Unfortunately I don't have
a link handy though.

Ricoch3t

Nov 27, 2005, 7:10:13 PM11/27/05

"Stephen van Ham" <sva...@xtra.co.nz> kirjoitti
viestissä:1133132940....@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

http://d2event.net/index.php?id=editors

check that link... there's one click more and you're downloading Hero Editor
0.90 beta.. Should work with 1.11.. I used 0.80 with 1.10 to test different
skill combis against bosses, so it's just for test, not to cheat when I use
that prog... =)

I don't like to "cheat" when playing, just testing...

Mickey

Nov 27, 2005, 7:52:00 PM11/27/05
"Stephen van Ham" <sva...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

To test character strength, as it was a testing tool left over from back
when.

Mickey

Stephen van Ham

Nov 27, 2005, 9:28:18 PM11/27/05
>To test character strength, as it was a testing tool left over from back
>when.

Hehe. Funny how it only takes one as far as act 5 normal, and we long
had complaints about balancing in nightmare and hell difficulty. :-)

Stephen van Ham

Nov 27, 2005, 9:33:12 PM11/27/05
>http://d2event.net/index.php?id=editors

>check that link... there's one click more and you're downloading Hero Editor
>0.90 beta.. Should work with 1.11.. I used 0.80 with 1.10 to test different
>skill combis against bosses, so it's just for test, not to cheat when I use
>that prog... =)

That's the one. Zonfire Hero Editor. Interesting that the page
there says 0.80 only works with 1.10 and earlier... 0.80 is the
version I've used without problems in 1.11. But maybe it's a question
of the 1.11 specific uber giblets.

>I don't like to "cheat" when playing, just testing...

Sure, I'm a big fan of calling a spade a spade. :-)

Mickey

Nov 27, 2005, 9:41:15 PM11/27/05
"Stephen van Ham" <sva...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

Exactly. Then again, Blizzard has made no effort to obscure the fact that
they test ONLY in normal mode. Their testing is simply the worst in the
industry, which goes back to my reply to the last post, that being that
PAYING to play bugs is just not in my makeup.

Mickey

EvilBill

Nov 28, 2005, 4:28:45 AM11/28/05
"Mickey" <micke...@SPAMcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

Indeed, if I was a Blizzard tester I'd probably completely skip Normal
considering there's next to nothing that can one-hit-kill you there (unless
you're doing high physical damage around OKs in which case it's your own
damn fault for not being more careful ;) )

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.org.uk
> Mickey

Mickey

Nov 28, 2005, 8:17:04 AM11/28/05
"EvilBill" <quake...@gmail.com> wrote in message

This is a place you REALLY don't want me going. Although, after 34 years in
the IT business, I have worn just about every hat there is, my forte was
ALWAYS testing. Those who can hearken back to the days of D1 and its mods
will also recall that these mods were generally rife with bugs, many carried
over from Blizzard's code, many introduced by the mod maker.... EXCEPT
NetherWorld, which not only was bug free, but which fixed several of the
Blizzard produced bugs as well. Only in the mind of a TOTAL and COMPLETE
idiot would coding an ENTIRE game first and THEN starting testing seem
viable. Among NORMAL people, people who have a clue, the process is done
incrementally. You build the shell of the product, enough to make it come up
running, and then you add a feature, test the feature, go back and test any
OTHER features, and if everything is OK, you lock the code down and add
something new. You test after EVERY change, you test that change, you test
everything else and you MAY have a product that is relatively bug free. Of
course, Blizzard isn't just stupid as a cue ball when it comes to creating
games, they are just as stupid when updating them. Blizzard's idea of a
patch is to 'fix' 10,000 problems at once. Of course, when something NEW
goes wrong, finding out what caused it, in that environment, is nearly
impossible. Take, for example, Westwood's method of patching games. If they
have 5 reported bugs, they release 5 small patches, one after the next. If a
fix creates a new bug, it is a matter of seconds to find out which fix and
why and to correct it. I purchased C&C Generals about 6 weeks after its
release. When I logged on to WWOL (WestWood Online), the game immediately
downloaded a patch. The version I had on my CD was 1.0, the version I had
after the patch was 1.18, and the game has not been patched since. The best
thing that could happen to Diablo players would be that EA buys Blizzard, as
they seem to understand the program life cycle.

Mickey

Brian Kastel

Nov 28, 2005, 3:34:44 PM11/28/05

"Mickey" wrote...

I think you're being overly harsh on Blizzard. Perhaps my expectations are
lower than yours, because I migrated to the World of Diablo from the
Dungeons of Moria. Nevertheless, I see a mighty fine product in the game
that I play, considering what I paid for it. The game alone is outstanding,
despite its flaws, and was well worth the money. Also, the investment of
resources on their part that allows us to securely play online for free will
be the last of that kind of benevolence we may ever see from any company.
So there are bugs and flaws. Not very many, considering the scope and
complexity of the project, as well as the expenditure of resources diverted
to realm security.

I do have complaints. I, too, am annoyed and frustrated that the security
code can't seem to differentiate between a live human being and a bot when
it decides to temporarily restrict me from the realm for simply muling.
When I had less experience with the character class, I was upset that Hell
difficulty seemed impossible for a sorceress to go solo. But since then, I
have learned to adapt. I am more careful muling. I have learned to battle
monsters that used to swat me down with impunity, in the process recognizing
that it is not a game in which simply achieving a high level guarantees
one's ability to smash opponents, and I really see that as a good thing.
You have to truly become a student of the game, and learn about the world
and its bestiary in order to overcome its travails. Blizzard has created a
richly layered game of a depth and complexity that astonishes me, and after
all the time of playing, I still find new things and aspects.

Air your complaints, yes. But they do deserve some credit, too.

Mickey

Nov 28, 2005, 4:31:08 PM11/28/05
"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-ka...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote
in message news:ERJif.63$6e...@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

Credit which I have given them. As far as conceptualization, Blizzard is
terrific. As to implementation of the concept, they simply stink on ice.
Then again, this is systemic in the PC field. If I had EVER, in my 34+ years
in the field, turned over a product as badly bugged as Diablo, or for that
matter any version of Windows, I'd have been out on my ass in 90 seconds
looking for a job. In my neck of the IT field, ONE bug is a major issue. In
the PC arena, 2000 are considered acceptable. Of course, even by PC
standards, Blizzard turns out pure shit far too often. The fact that they
REFUSE to test their own products is, from a rational point of view, simply
absurd beyond the pale.

Mickey

Brian

Nov 28, 2005, 7:02:11 PM11/28/05

If you look into the ChaosEmpire mod, in single play, the -act5 switch
puts you at level 95 or 96.

Still without waypoints, quests, gear, or money, but we need things to do
or we go soft in the gut... and brain...

jerk-o

Nov 28, 2005, 7:04:22 PM11/28/05
After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
"Mickey" <NOSPAM....@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote

>"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-ka...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote
>in message news:ERJif.63$6e...@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> Air your complaints, yes. But they do deserve some credit, too.
>

>Credit which I have given them. As far as conceptualization, Blizzard is
>terrific. As to implementation of the concept, they simply stink on ice.
>Then again, this is systemic in the PC field. If I had EVER, in my 34+ years
>in the field, turned over a product as badly bugged as Diablo, or for that
>matter any version of Windows, I'd have been out on my ass in 90 seconds
>looking for a job. In my neck of the IT field, ONE bug is a major issue. In
>the PC arena, 2000 are considered acceptable. Of course, even by PC
>standards, Blizzard turns out pure shit far too often. The fact that they
>REFUSE to test their own products is, from a rational point of view, simply
>absurd beyond the pale.

Even *I* test my mod in all difficulties. :) Of course, I'm also the one making
all the changes, not that it should matter since I'm only changing a few txt
files and a few maps, which aren't that hard to test because I know what I'm
changing. Not that anybody cares, but I did just upload a new version of my
mod.
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

Brian

Nov 28, 2005, 7:08:07 PM11/28/05
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:31:08 -0500, Mickey wrote:

> "Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-ka...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote
> in message news:ERJif.63$6e...@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> "Mickey" wrote...

>> I think you're being overly harsh on Blizzard.

I think I agree with Mickey... the summary I'd give is that GREAT is the
most effective enemy OUTSTANDING ever met.

>> Air your complaints, yes. But they do deserve some credit, too.

> Credit which I have given them. As far as conceptualization, Blizzard is
> terrific. As to implementation of the concept, they simply stink on ice.
> Then again, this is systemic in the PC field. If I had EVER, in my 34+
> years in the field, turned over a product as badly bugged as Diablo, or
> for that matter any version of Windows, I'd have been out on my ass in
> 90 seconds looking for a job.

Simple: work for Microsoft! Failure is not an option, it comes bundled!

Brian Kastel

Nov 28, 2005, 10:12:19 PM11/28/05

"Brian" <brian....@verizon.net.prophet> wrote...

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:31:08 -0500, Mickey wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> "Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-ka...@tampabay.rr.com>
>> wrote...
>>>
>>> I think you're being overly harsh on Blizzard.
>
> I think I agree with Mickey... the summary I'd give is that GREAT is the
> most effective enemy OUTSTANDING ever met.

Well then you should expect to pay for great. "Great. Bug Free. Cheap. Pick
any two."

>>> Air your complaints, yes. But they do deserve some credit, too.
>
>> Credit which I have given them. As far as conceptualization, Blizzard is
>> terrific. As to implementation of the concept, they simply stink on ice.
>> Then again, this is systemic in the PC field. If I had EVER, in my 34+
>> years in the field, turned over a product as badly bugged as Diablo, or
>> for that matter any version of Windows, I'd have been out on my ass in
>> 90 seconds looking for a job.
>
> Simple: work for Microsoft! Failure is not an option, it comes bundled!

Now that is hilarious. :)

Mickey

Nov 29, 2005, 5:09:02 AM11/29/05
"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-ka...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote
in message news:nGPif.46386$1l6....@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> "Brian" <brian....@verizon.net.prophet> wrote...
> > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:31:08 -0500, Mickey wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> "Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-ka...@tampabay.rr.com>
> >> wrote...

> > I think I agree with Mickey... the summary I'd give is that GREAT is the
> > most effective enemy OUTSTANDING ever met.
>
> Well then you should expect to pay for great. "Great. Bug Free. Cheap.
Pick
> any two."

Why? Since when has life come down to a choice between price or quality, and
in any case, software is hardly cheap. One will note that software houses
have the highest profit margins of any major industry on earth. Can ANYONE
imagtine what it would be like if say GM were to operate at a 25% profit
margin, like Microsoft? Furthermore, PC software, on a per user basis, is
actually FAR more expensive than mainframe software, and ye the mainframe
software as .000000000001% of the bugs. Why? Oh, that answer is VERY simple.
In the mainframe arena, you sell software to IT people, who wouldn't let you
in the door with a product as piss poor as either Windows or LoD. In the PC
arena, you sell software to end users who are clueless about what their
expectations SHOULD be. In essense, it is little different from stealing
candy from children, only the candy costs $50 for the tasty kind (games),
and $200-$500 for the nutritious kind (Windows, Office, etc).

> >> Credit which I have given them. As far as conceptualization, Blizzard
is
> >> terrific. As to implementation of the concept, they simply stink on
ice.
> >> Then again, this is systemic in the PC field. If I had EVER, in my 34+
> >> years in the field, turned over a product as badly bugged as Diablo, or
> >> for that matter any version of Windows, I'd have been out on my ass in
> >> 90 seconds looking for a job.
> >
> > Simple: work for Microsoft! Failure is not an option, it comes bundled!
>
> Now that is hilarious. :)

We mainframers consider Windows to be a virus, cleverly disguised as an
operating system.

Mickey