Diploma mill crackdown

1 view

JohnBear

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

Here are a few excerpts from a copyrighted article in the current
Chronicle of Higher Education
John Bear
http://www.degree.net

Thailand Cracks Down on Diploma Mills
By Tony Gillotte

Thailand has lashed out against proprietary institutions offering
substandard education and even selling degrees. [A government official]
said some of these "shophouse
universities," as the storefront institutions are called locally, had
even held "graduation" ceremonies in Bangkok hotels and sent photos from
the events to local newspapers in an effort to hoodwink the public into
thinking the degrees were real.

The diploma mills have been doing a growing business here recently,
mainly because of Thailand's rapidly expanding economy and an acute
shortage of qualified university graduates...

Many Thai government officials have been contacted by diploma mills with
offers of honorary degrees, which also carry price tags, typically
$12,000 to $20,000.

[The government has] blacklisted five U.S. companies that had sold
degrees in Thailand under the names "American Coastline University of
Louisiana," "Kensington University," "Summit University of Louisiana,"
"University of America," and "Southern California University of
Professional Studies."

AFLA

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

JohnBear <John...@degree.net> wrote in article
<335CF7...@degree.net>...

> Here are a few excerpts from a copyrighted article in the current
> Chronicle of Higher Education

>> Thailand Cracks Down on Diploma Mills
> By Tony Gillotte

(much cut)

> [The government has] blacklisted five U.S. companies that had sold
> degrees in Thailand under the names "American Coastline University of
> Louisiana," "Kensington University," "Summit University of Louisiana,"
> "University of America," and "Southern California University of
> Professional Studies."

Thanks for the informative article, John. Aren't some of the above state
approved but unaccredited schools that some on this newsgroup wish for us
to believe are quality institutions?

It amazes me how many people "attend" such places.

Alan