GLOF-proof hydroelectric proposal

Seth Sicroff

Nov 16, 2006, 2:17:51 PM11/16/06
to Mountai...@googlegroups.com
GLOF fears have probably not been the major impediment to development in Rolwaling. From 1999-2002, Bridges-PRTD led small groups of student/volunteers to Rolwaling; among our pet projects was a plan for a Peltric set hydro plant, which would have been sufficient to bring electricity to the residents of Beding,as well as the school and gompa. The project was to be installed on a glof-proof tributary to the Rolwaling River, clear of any potential outbreak surge from an upstream lake burst. We hired an engineering company to collaborate on the feasibility study and technical plans, and were all set to go ahead, but found that we could not ask for support for international donors when the Maoists were threatening to disrupt the project.  Now that the threat is diminished, we are thinking about trying to get some funding.

Our feasibility study/proposal is accessible online at
http://www.mountainlegacy.net/bridges/2001/hydro-a.html

For more information about Rolwaling, see www.rolwaling.com, and for links and photos of Tsho Rolpa, see our www.glof.net.

Seth Sicroff