Learning How to Use the Wired Pakistan Wiki

1 view

NancyB

May 8, 2006, 2:05:17 PM5/8/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
We have made the Wired Pakistan Wiki easier to use! A help feature has
been added which will teach you how to enter data on a wiki in three
easy steps. By practicing on the wiki you can learn how to enter
current ISP data and will also learn the skills to use any wiki,
anywhere .

KO's wiki is located at

http://wiki.wiredpakistan.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

The page for ISP info is here:

http://wiki.wiredpakistan.com/index.php?title=List_of_ISP%27s_in_Pakistan

Just click on "Help" which appears on the navigation bar on the left
hand side of the page, and you will be taken to a page which will teach
anyone who knows how to type how to use a wiki.

There are also places to practice where mistakes don't matter. So
please try it out.

You might want to put info on the wiki on your blogs so more people
can help.

Dr. Awab Alvi

May 8, 2006, 2:17:51 PM5/8/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to butt in....

Just got an email from one of the top authors in WIKIPEDIA - (I had emailed
him our latest press release) he actually requests us to try and keep the
WIKIPEDIA page updated as much as possible.

Presently we have THREE wiki's running at the same time, how about mutually
deciding on ONE site.

WIKIPEDIA
WIKIA PAKISTAN
WIRED PAKISTAN

I would push to take an initiative to combine all the information on the
three sites into WIKIPEDIA - this is a far more global website which will
surely come into visibility more easily as compared to the other websites

What do you all have to say?

Angelo Embuldeniya

May 8, 2006, 2:27:18 PM5/8/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
only downside i see to using wikipedia is revert wars... :D

NancyB

May 8, 2006, 2:52:10 PM5/8/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
Such fond memories for the veterans of the Revert Wars--I am battle
scarred. Suggest driving traffic to KO's wiki via an external link and
use the wikipedia and wikipakistan page to drive traffic there.
Censorship is alive and well on wikipedia. It's their product, not
ours, but KO won't put a big NPOV slash on your work.

Incidentally, it was only a little sabre rattling by Angelo that
allowed us to keep the Internet Censorship Page in Pakistan updated and
useful. That was only the latest skirmish of many which have and will
occur.

Agreed as to central collection point for data, only issue is where?

KO

May 8, 2006, 2:54:38 PM5/8/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
I am all for Wikipedia, but it is an encyclopedia, perhaps not the
sort of place for this sort of info.

ko

NancyB

May 8, 2006, 2:55:55 PM5/8/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
Further thought re the email: We can use KO's info to update the
Wikipedia, but I don't evPen have the url for that page.KO's page could
be used for actual original data entry without. Further opinions,
please!

a sane voice

May 8, 2006, 7:10:02 PM5/8/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
plus wikipedia thinks I am a zombie computer, and has banned me. There
is no way I can get to the Admin Noticeboard, or even register as a
different user on my computer. SO merging it on wikipedia will leave me
out in the cold as far as editing is considered.

I ran Norton anti-Virus with a virus defition list dated 16th April
2006, but did not find any virus. Wonder what else I can do?

Sabahat Ashraf

May 8, 2006, 7:18:59 PM5/8/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
On the WikiPakistan (pakistan.wikia.com) side, I'd like to add that as
one of the more active editors (besides being founder/adminstrator) I
have tried to stick to a policy that WikiPakistan is only for
information that isn't (or isn't represented completely, etc.) on the
Wikipedia or elsewhere. So if a page on the Wikipedia incorporates the
information of the Internet Filter Status page, then I would
immediately replace the info on WikiPakistan with a link to the
Wikipedia, and only keep whatever info isn't considered worthy of
inclusion on the Wikipedia. If Wired Pakistan becomes a robust
resources for all things wired in and about Pakistan, I think
WikiPakistan should defer to them and link accordingly, too. For
example, I didn't think that the live status of information on each
ISP's blcoking polcies would be considered "of encyclopedic interest".

Besides, WikiPakistan has a strongly (but not exclusively) Pakistani
flavour and Pakistani user and editor base, so stuff that might get
lost in revert wars on Wikipedia can survive on WP.

Which reminds me, I should put a link to the ISP list on Spider's site
in WikiPakistan.

Besides, we could keep that information in one place (if WiredPakistan
has auto form filling, I think that's the best candidate) and put
links to it in both Wikipedia and WikiPakistan.

iFaqeer/Sabahat.

On 5/8/06, Dr. Awab Alvi <dra...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
[Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf]
c: (510) 304 5927 iFaqeer.wikispaces.com

a sane voice

May 8, 2006, 7:36:07 PM5/8/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
Good idea, Nancy about putting this on our blogs. Can someone design a
simple, small logo for KOs wiki?

NancyB

May 9, 2006, 12:07:37 AM5/9/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
If you wipe out the wikipedia cookie on your computer that should mean
you could register as another user. If your computer is targeted, try a
proxy server.

stabani

May 9, 2006, 4:40:10 AM5/9/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
proxy servers are illegal in wikipedia.

i too am battle scarred with wikipedia. too much politics and revert
wars, too many rules and regulations, and censorship in general, and
for this subject, that place would not be a good one.

I really do suggest wikipakistan or wiredpakistan wiki..

Neha Viswanathan

May 9, 2006, 5:19:28 AM5/9/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
The fundamental aspect of wikipedia is that no one can own anything. (except for some moderators who think it's their turf.)

I love wikis. I may not love wikipedia. While I possibly spend a lot of time on wikipedia - my own experience has been it's best not to rely on making that a repository of information at hand. Keep it updated - however, do not trust them with your data. I am being paranoid - but I clearly remember what Nancy refers to... I know she spent many a sleepless night around that time.

Coming to another point. Has BBC covered this issue yet? I know Kevin Anderson at the BBC has been very proactive at letting bloggers speak on censorship etc issues. In fact BBC has been following the holding of the Egyptian blogger Alaa more than any other mainstream media. I might be putting my foot in my mouth here (given that others may have already been contacted by him) - but if someone so wishes - we could mail him and fill him in on the stuff.

--
Neha Viswanathan
+44(0) 77695 65886

http://withinandwithout.com |
http://globalvoicesonline.org

Angelo Embuldeniya

May 9, 2006, 6:30:07 AM5/9/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
If anyone would like to see a famous revert war on the wiki for a
certain article on a college in India
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iipm) , have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Indian_Institute_of_Planning_and_Management&action=history&limit=50&offset=20051011191759

the archives are pretty much it's proof :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_Indian_Institute_of_Planning_and_Management

The revert war started way back in July 2004 and still continues
todate with it's peak happening between October to December ;)

cheers,
angelo.

BTW: i kept hearing mentions of it here and there but has this issue
been covered on BBC Urudu Radio lately?

Neha Viswanathan

May 9, 2006, 6:46:18 AM5/9/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Know someone at BBC Urdu - think anyone wants a link to him?
Message has been deleted

stabani

May 10, 2006, 5:42:28 AM5/10/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
it was mentioned on both bbc english (one article) as well as bbc urdu
which covered the event.

Technocat

May 11, 2006, 5:43:41 AM5/11/06
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
Hi there

Reba Shahid is the reporter who covers IT related issues and stories
for BBC Urdu. She did the report on Blogspot ban and the Baloch
websites being banned by the Pakistani govt for BBC Urdu.
She does a fortnightly tech column for the website aswell called Reba
Ki Diary (Reba's
diary
http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/interactivity/debate/story/2006/01/060116_reba_diary1.shtml)
You can get in touch with her at rebas...@gmail.com.